Community The MetaCouncil Visual Novel Book Club

Exzyleph

Dark Eroge Lord
Oct 9, 2018

Welcome to the Visual Novel Book Club Meta(Council) thread!

This is a club for those who would like to read visual novels in a group setting.

Every so often we'll pick a visual novel, read it and comment about it in a thread. It is an informal book club, so there is no fixed schedule; you simply read the novel at your own pace and share your thoughts along the way. Latecomers are of course welcome to ask questions and share their thoughts in old threads.

This thread is for general discussions about the book club and for planning the next book clubs. If you have suggestions about the next visual novel(s) to read, then this is the place to share them. For now, the visual novels have been decided in an ad-hoc fashion, but the plan is to have votes about what visual novels we are going to read. To keep the club accessible, I ask that you only suggest visual novels that have "all ages" editions, though you are of course welcome to read any version of a visual novel.

Rules
  • Always use spoiler-tags and take care to not spoil other members when answering questions.
  • Please keep the threads safe for work, even if you are reading a VN that is not safe for work.

Current and previous book clubs

Planned book clubs
DateTitle

Last edited:
OP
Exzyleph

Exzyleph

Dark Eroge Lord
Oct 9, 2018
For the visual novel book club of September, we'll be reading two short visual novels by Christine Love, Analogue: A Hate Story and Hate Plus tells the story of the derelict colony-ship, the Mugunghwa, of the people on board, and of it's only survivors, the two AI constructs *Mute and *Hyun-Ae.

Please join the dedicated thread here:

As I wrote in the OP, this is also the place to share your suggestions for future book clubs.
Suggestions currently include the following, in addition to CUPID mentioned by Knurek:
Narcissu 1st & 2nd (free)

This is a story of disease and suffering; of medication and adverse effects; of thoracotomy scars and cellular poisons; of the living who cannot help but to die and of the dying who cannot help but to live; of a resting place other than "on 7F" or "at home".
Soundless (free)

The small town of Phada is the home of a cult comprising of only 145 people, completely cut off from the rest of the world. The protagonist, Mercy, is the subject of constant religious abuse due to her "cursed" hallucinations, which cause her to see a corrupted world filled with red and black beetles. After the death of the town's 25th "Holy Woman", two new Holy Women instead of one are birthed in her place.

When classes end the next day, one calls out to Mercy.

"I can see it, too."

Last edited:

Theswweet

Dirty Weeb
Mar 12, 2019
I know I jokingly asked in the December thread, but I think it would be cool if Baldr Sky was next month's VN instead of the current plan.

OP
Exzyleph

Exzyleph

Dark Eroge Lord
Oct 9, 2018
I know I jokingly asked in the December thread, but I think it would be cool if Baldr Sky was next month's VN instead of the current plan.
I am definitely not opposed reading Baldr Sky for the book club, but it is also a fairly pricey new release so I don't know how many would be willing to pick it up this soon. I know Kvik has picked it up, per their comment in the VN thread, but are there anyone else?

Reactions: Kvik

Kvik

Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
I'm not opposed to it either, but if the Umineko-tier length is accurate it'll take me months to finish. :02eyes:

OP
Exzyleph

Exzyleph

Dark Eroge Lord
Oct 9, 2018
Both dives are supposed to be a "Very Long" games according to VNDB, meaning 50+ hours each, so one month per dive is probably a bit optimistic for the average reader here, judging by how long it took people to read a "Long" visual novel (428). So rather than making it the VN bookclub title of the month for the next many months, perhaps it would be better to make it a longer-running book club that can run concurrent with the monthly book-clubs. I don't mind also making a thread for the Baldr Sky club. What do you think?

I have a couple of shorter titles that I really want to read/finish before the end of January, but after that I would gladly jump into Baldr Sky along with the regular monthly book clubs.

OP
Exzyleph

Exzyleph

Dark Eroge Lord
Oct 9, 2018
The fifth VN Book Club thread is now up and this time we will be reading Narcissu:

The Anthology project + DLC is for sale for another day and a half, so now is the last chance to get those cheaply if you want to join the book club.

Theswweet The offer still stands for a longer running book club for Baldr Sky, if you are interested. I already have a thread (mostly) prepared.

OP
Exzyleph

Exzyleph

Dark Eroge Lord
Oct 9, 2018
Any idea about the next VN ?
I haven't decided yet, but the plan is to go over everything that people have suggested so far one of next couple of days and decide on something. I would like to do a mystery VN, but that is not set in stone. Do let me know if you any suggestions, mystery or not.

There is also supposed to be a Steam Lunar Sale starting on the 23rd, so I might wait and see if there are any good discounts before making a final decission.

Reactions: Li Kao