Community The MetaVerse VR thread (hardware/software/etc, all platforms)

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Feel like VR has been placed in the "Forgotten" book at Sony. In 2018 and 2019 there were a lot more exciting stuff like Astrobot, Firewall, Wipeout and so on but for many months now, nothing, only big thing is Iron Man VR and nothing else unless Sony has something up their sleeves with PS5.

Everything exciting now in VR is happening on PCVR and Oculus Quest. Saint's & Sinners is already out on PC and it seems really great (will buy it sometime in the future when Im done with some other VR games) and it's comign to Quest later this year and PSVR later as well (no idea how it will be due to the shitty tracking and controllers).

Simply put, everything exciting with VR is happening on PC and Quest and nothing other than Iron Man VR is on the horizon for PSVR.

I bought a Rift after receveing PSVR christmas 2018 and I was worried about that I had made a mistake, but Im happy I did not. I play everything VR on my PC (maingly SteamVR, I only use Oculus for exclusives) due to better headset, controllers and tracking and the library and vastly bigger on PC.

Reactions: C-Dub and lashman
OP
Durante

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I think what happens with HL:A will have a pretty big impact on the near-term future of VR. If it is a huge hit then you might see some larger-budget games announced, if not it will probably continue to be more indie (and optional modes in basically every sim) for a while. I don't mind either way really.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
I feel like 40% of my time with Blood & Truth was me fighting against the awful tracking.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Last edited:
Reactions: lashman

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

Last edited:

sprinkles

Dec 8, 2018
My Quest arrived early (the Anker USB cable got left behind), I am really impressed by the tracking (only have experience with PSVR). Are there any musthaves only for Quest I could test tonight and tomorrow before I "link up" to my PC on Saturday?

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Get the freebie ISS experience for sure and maybe the First Contact tutorial, that is the PC default.
There aren't many Quest exclusives. I really wanted to play the National Geographic experience though, it looks pretty cool and well made, if somewhat limited.
Ghost Giant is coming soon for the Oculus Quest as well, previously it was only available for the PSVR.
SUPERHOT VR, Apex Construct, The Thrill of the Fight, Pistol Whip, Journey of the Gods, Red Matter, Moss, A Fisherman's Tale, I Expect You to Die, The Curious Tale of the Stolen Pets, Shadow Point, The Climb and others I dunno if you'd rather have on the PC but outside wanting some hacky fan mods for some of the music games and such they should perform fine on the Quest so you may prefer its cable-less untethered play over (potentially available) higher resolution supersampled (yet compressed over USB) PC visuals and generally not too great graphics differences for the better ports (some of them also have crossbuy with PC so you can play the PC version when the cable arrives but of course that will be the Oculus Store version, not Steam, so you may want to compare prices, and it varies per case, not all are crossbuy, but not all aren't. Journey of the Gods, Shadow Point, The Climb and others are Oculus Store exclusives).

You'll want to get in on the SideQuest homebrew fun for sure and get games/mods like Lambda1VR or the Terminus tech/playable demo (get used to VR first).

Or maybe try some freebie social VR stuff like Rec Room if you're into that sort of thing but I'm not.

Also neat WebVR stuff like this shameless Beat Saber clone, though I've not looked into it much yet...

Last edited:
Reactions: sprinkles

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
My Quest arrived early (the Anker USB cable got left behind), I am really impressed by the tracking (only have experience with PSVR). Are there any musthaves only for Quest I could test tonight and tomorrow before I "link up" to my PC on Saturday?
SuperhotVR, Beat Saber and Journey of the Gods have demos on Quest I think.

Reactions: sprinkles

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

This looks potentially interesting (though those melee kills look eh), it released first on the Oculus Store in early access and has a (very) few positive reviews there (who knows if they're your usual shills though) likening it to a solo Call of Duty: Zombies style experience with its own setting, weapons and systems:

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Last edited:
Reactions: Pommes and lashman

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
HTC sadly continues to miss the mark offering more expensive yet less competitive consumer products. The lighthouse based Elite uses the same old wands, the others are the current Cosmos, the Play with less cameras for the tracking (and still no sign of fixes) and the XR with more front facing cameras for AR/MR.

Last edited:

sprinkles

Dec 8, 2018
So I successfully "linked" up my Quest to the new PC and tried out some SteamVR games. No problems, but one quite annoying bug if you have OCD over your tracked game time on Steam: SteamVR just won't stop running up the time, even when not using it. It is up to 12 hours these past 2 days alone, when I only played maybe 2-3 hours. It seems to be an old bug with SteamVR too, so I am all out of luck here...

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Well SteamVR isn't a game, does it count the actual VR game's time properly? If so it's not too bad...

Kind of a wasted opportunity with that third person stuff but oh well, it could turn out good I guess...

I doubt this thing will go anywhere like most fan projects but here goes, just in case I guess, haha ^

Boneworks out now on the Oculus store, presumably with the latest patch improving some of its bs. It even has this new map, to be added on Steam in March.

V-Racer Hoverbike seems to be chugging along nicely, it's a cool futuristic racer worth trying out :)

I'm not sure about this one yet, it seems well produced but it has a lot to prove in order to live up to the better wave shooters like Raw Data or Sairento even if people still care to try something of such a limited scope now that we have much deeper VR games to choose from. The price seems fairly reasonable at least.

Mental came out too, it looked kinda crazy like Holoception, hopefully it's fun. The parkour could be pretty interesting if it's good/intuitive :)

Last edited:

sprinkles

Dec 8, 2018
No only the time of the SteamVR app keeps running up, even when Steam is not (up to 13 hours now). I tried switching between the beta branch and the normal one, but that does not seem to help either.
Tried to force Oculus off with the Task Manager, maybe that will help.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

Last edited:

Alo81

Jul 29, 2019
Anyone else messing around with the Half Live 1 VR mod? (PC mod, not Quest)

Its still got some jank to it, but this is a really cool way to experience HL1 for the first time. I just got to the turrets section (Where you first get the Machine gun, and there are a bunch of rooms with trip wires and turrets). No idea how far I am, but this game really holds up.

Alo81

Jul 29, 2019
Not yet, waiting for less jank. Sad nobody seems to have made as much progress as the Quest version on PC for HL1 (or HL2), despite efforts starting way early.
That's reasonable. There has been a good bit of finnicking around. biggest pain is the LADDERS. I've died to fall damage more times than I could count on 2 hands from this.

The most surprising aspect is performance. I figured my 1080ti would be blowing it out of the water but there is something about the way it works that makes it constantly reproject. I tried setting 20% res @80hz and even still, reprojection so must be something specific to how the game runs. Now I stick at 144hz+Repro and increased res.

I was pretty envious when I saw the Quest version, but in the mean time I'm still having a good time with this PC rendition.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Fireproof Games has been giving out their upcoming The Room VR for coverage like this and more:

The GTFO VR mod keeps improving:

More VR stuff:

Last edited:
Reactions: Pommes and lashman

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

Last edited:
Reactions: lashman and prudis

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Sucks if true, hope they land on their feet and blow us away with another project/new IP.

They posted this on Feb 20th, gifts just before getting laid off or what? The game's twitter is still active too:

Though I guess that's why there's been very little communication since Feb 12th's patch when up until then they had been very active in the Steam forums. Still, the game seems to have sold even better than mainstream stuff like Pistol Whip going by the amount of user reviews and they had announced Quest and PSVR ports, the former should add a great deal more sales as it did for Pistol Whip (way more, like triple, user reviews for Quest vs Steam) and others. They had also said they were working to provide additional language translations (though not for the VA, just subtitles and what not). This just seems weird and unexpected.

Last edited:

d00d3n

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
I got my prescription lenses for Valve Index from vroptician.com today. The lenses seem like a quality product so far. Very easy installation by slipping circumferential rubber attachments from the prescription lens over the Index lens housing. Fits with a loose friction fit, but I didn't have any issues with the prescription lenses falling off.

Being able to see clearly is already a big improvement for me when playing vr games. I have mostly sticked to shorter experiences previously, but today I stayed on for longer than I use to. No eye strain at all this time. I even logged on to vrchat to waste some time in the end, which I would not have done without vision correction.

In the product page on vroptician.com they warned that most people would have to increase the eye relief setting by one or two steps to fit the extra lens thickness. Somewhat surprisingly, I was able to use the closest eye relief setting without any issues, although I use the maximum ipd setting and my lens prescription is quite lenient (about +3.5 spherical and -2 cylindrical), so the decreased FOV may be a real issue for people with other circumstances than mine.

I have to say, I am super happy about this purchase. My working schedule is quite intense at the moment, but I am looking forward to play more Budget Cuts, and I especially look forward to Alyx now. The only small negative aspect of this experience is that the improved vision has allowed me to see what seems to be a dead pixel on the right eye fov better (was not sure before), and it now bothers me more than it did previously ...

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

Last edited:
Reactions: lashman and C-Dub

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Pretty big VR Dungeon Knight update with a new class & stuff, I'm not a big fan of the game but cool:

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Oh, neat, the teaser said Quest, they have added the + Rift now for the full trailer so it's PC too! :D

I don't mind low-fi Quest graphics for PC, I finally finished Journey of the Gods and it was brilliant :)

Last edited: