Community The MetaVerse VR thread (hardware/software/etc, all platforms)

Phoenix RISING

A phoenix always RISES!
Apr 23, 2019
Ann Arbor, MI
www.geeksundergrace.com
Fucking suits expecting VR games to sell like AAA :surrenderblob:

I just want to follow up with this that this rumor was false.

Not only is the Discord still active with community mods, but they also are looking for people to trial the PS VR version of the game.

Full steam ahead!

Also, this is a reminder that if you don't own this game, and you have VR, YOU ARE FUCKING UP!!!

It's the best VR game I've played, and I don't know how I'll go back to games like Resident Evil 4, when instead of third person, I can play in VR.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
I didn't even try locomotion yet and I feel nauseous.
May have to do with the fact I play for longgg.
Woooo...

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Oh fuck this just dawned on me, the Rift lost my safe space settings because I unplugged it, didn't it ?

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
I’m a tad worried about the bizarre return to lab I experienced in The lab. The second one even seemed to freeze the game in a neverending load screen. I hope the 2060 isn’t the cause.

Kurt Russell

SUPREME OVERLORD OF EVIL
Sep 6, 2018
Mar del Plata
I just want to follow up with this that this rumor was false.

Not only is the Discord still active with community mods, but they also are looking for people to trial the PS VR version of the game.

Full steam ahead!

Also, this is a reminder that if you don't own this game, and you have VR, YOU ARE FUCKING UP!!!

It's the best VR game I've played, and I don't know how I'll go back to games like Resident Evil 4, when instead of third person, I can play in VR.
Thank you for this, it's nice to see that these people didn't get screwed over after all.
And yes, it's a really impressive game, even more so considering it didn't get a lot of hype before release.

knch

Sep 23, 2019
I continue to be amazed that I never felt ANY motion sickness while playing TWD.

IDK how they pulled it off.
By turning half your screen black when you move?

Boneworks is far more amazing in this regard, because I can't tell how they managed.

Reactions: lashman

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
By turning half your screen black when you move?

Boneworks is far more amazing in this regard, because I can't tell how they managed.
What do you mean? You can disable all vignettes and stuff in TWD. First thing I check in all games as it's a common anti-motion-sickness option I don't need.

Last edited:

knch

Sep 23, 2019
What do you mean? You can disable all vignettes and stuff in TWD. First thing I check in all games as it's a common anti-motion-sickness option I don't need.
Only saw the default, couldn't be bothered to check after getting bored halfway through the intro.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
No idea what the fuck this is but I hope it does the series justice. Trying to not get too excited...

Wildman Inc. announced on March 10, 2020 that it will release its new VR title, Panzer Dragoon Voyage Record (tentative title), licensed by SEGA GAMES Co., Ltd., as a software dedicated to VR headsets.

TOKYO (PRWEB) March 10, 2020

Panzer Dragoon Voyage Record is a VR dramatic shooter. It relive each of the various episodes that appeared in the three works of Sega Saturn software "Panzer Dragoon", "Panzer Dragoon Zwei" and "Panzer Dragoon Saga".

This work is a completely new work to play the episodes of the series trilogy by a new graphics that the first person view optimized for VR headsets and a new input method that likens the VR controller to the handgun of the dragon rider. The recording episodes and the support platform to be announced later.

For the latest information, please check official Twitter account @PanzerDragoonVR

[ Specification ]
Product Name : Panzer Dragoon Voyage Record (tentative title)
Release Date : 2020 Japanese Fiscal Year (Until March 2021)
Genre : VR Dramatic Shooter
Players : Single person
Publish & Development : Wildman Inc.
Copyright : Original Game©SEGA/©Wildman

Panzer Dragoon is either registered trademark or trademark of SEGA Holding Co., Ltd. or its affiliates
Wildman's youtube channel doesn't inspire any confidence whatsoever but the last videos are pretty old, hopefully pure tech demos/proof of concept crap and without the Panzer Dragoon content so given that and SEGA's backing they're hopefully creating something much more robust for home systems this time.

Last edited:

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
What do you recommend for seated VR experiences ? As already mentioned in the Steam Thread, I'm... not very mobile right now :weary-face:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Moss, Vox Machinae, VTOL VR, V-Racer Hoverbike if you can lean around and stuff, Elite Dangerous & other cockpit games depending on your preferences :)

You can play full VR games like various FPS and Red Matter and Lone Echo and such seated technically but you might want to wait until you're mobile instead.

Edit: also gamepad games that do headtracking, like Subnautica & Battlezone, I tend to not recommend them as VR games but I guess they work for you atm.

Last edited:

ISee

Oh NO!
Mar 1, 2019
What do you recommend for seated VR experiences ? As already mentioned in the Steam Thread, I'm... not very mobile right now :weary-face:
Lucky's tale VR is cool.
The problem here is: It's an oculus exclusive.

Hellblade senua's sacrifice also has a neat VR follower mode and can be played with a controller.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Last edited:
Reactions: Pommes and lashman

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

This says Quest in the title but the game will be made available for PC too and this is newer footage.

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
A little Metroid-like freebie from the developer of a long line of non-VR FPS/RPG type in-depth hybrid games, which he has been converting to VR these days.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

Last edited:

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
How is Raw Data ? It's discounted on Occulus Store.

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
How is Raw Data ? It's discounted on Occulus Store.
I just finished it, it's very arcadey but relatively fun for a discount. I think I got it as part of a bundle? I could see it being really fun with friends for co-op (up to 4 people I think) but I played it solo. The character they have you start with, pistol guy, is by far the most boring though.

Posted-too-soon edit: I'm trying to finish up RuneSage and also working on Transpose right now. RuneSage is super low budget and the puzzles are very mixed quality but overall it's a very like 7/10 puzzle game, maybe 6.5. Transpose is a little more polished so far but it's the first time I'm really struggling with tracking with my Odyssey+, throwing that damn cube around is way more iffy than it should be. Might just be the game itself, have no way to compare it.

Pistol Whip remains my VR GOAT but will see how HL:A fairs. Also looking forward to mucking about in Hot Dogs, Horseshoes & Hand Grenades which I overlooked in my initial VR game acquisitions.

Reactions: Li Kao
OP
Durante

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
How is Raw Data ?
Raw Data is a game I played early on in VR in coop, and I still think it's one of the best VR-only action games. It has a really good difficulty curve, very varied classes, and several neat moves. The best thing about it is that you can really see how your skill as a player grows with more practice (and in a quite different way from any "flat" game).

I'd recommend it, especially if you can play it in coop.

Reactions: Li Kao

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
So much VR goodness alongside Alyx (btw most of it is on PC too, even if it name drops the Quest) :)

Edit: for posterity but as to not bump this thread since I made another for the Facebook stuff (unless they show something cool like Lone Echo II):

Last edited:
Reactions: Li Kao and lashman

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Long awaited Saints & Sinners localization patch with an assortment of other improvements and fixes.
Localization:
  • The game is now available in French, German, Spanish, Japanese, Korean, and Portuguese-Brazilian
    • This is Gameplay and UI Text only, no audio. Please enable your Subtitles in the Options > Audio menu.
  • Language selector is available in the Options Menu

Additions/Improvements:

AI
  • Combat Retreat and Maneuvering Improvements for Human AI

Audio
  • Improved Weapon sounds
  • Frying Pan should now have a satisfying “Clunk!”

Gameplay
  • Health and Stamina bars have been added to the Watch
  • New Menu Option to disable HUD (removes the Health and Stamina bars from the center of the your view)
  • Bow should now be easier to pull

Physical Crouch
  • Hybrid Seated/Standing Mode is now on by Default
  • True Player Height mode added
  • Various crouching collision fixes

Optimizations
  • Improved performance in Rampart
  • Misc Backpack/Inventory optimizations
  • Misc code optimizations
  • Various Improved LODs

Bug Fixes:

Audio
  • Spatial Volume fixes in The Shallows, Bastion, Via Carolla, and Old Town.
  • Misc audio bug fixes

Gameplay
  • Chaperone should now correctly appear in Standing/Roomscale for SteamVR
  • Removed bad collision in Rampart kitchen area that blocked players from grabbing items
  • Severed body parts should now appear as the correct model when you load a save game
  • Misc UI jitter fixes
  • Misc other gameplay bug fixes
Also, this released, it looks good for the genre.

Last edited:

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
This is about VR in general:

Can Half-Life: Alyx make the case for consumer VR?

The odd thing about reviewing Half-Life, Alyx is that it isn't just a game. It isn't even a system-seller, in the traditional sense of that term. It has been specifically designed to make the argument for an entire medium, to do for capital-V-virtual capital-R-reality what Super Mario 64 did for 3D. So asking if it's the best VR experience we've ever had isn't quite enough. (For the record, though: allowing for the fact that Tetris Effect is almost as good on a Tv as it is inside a headset, while Alyx is completely VR-native, yes, it is.) The question instead becomes: is that enough?

When Alyx was first revealed, it was accompanied by a sense that even the fans who've spent the last decade clamouring loudly for another Half-Life game were resigning themselves to not being able to play this one — largely due to the sheer cost. Alyx not only has to sell people on the dream of VR, it has to sell them to the tune of almost £1,000 (plus a sufficiently brawny PC to do it justice). This is, admittedly, only if you want the best possible experience. Valve is supporting pretty much every PC VR platform you could possibly name (which for most of us is a pretty short list). We play through Alyx on an Index, but also test it on the considerably cheaper Oculus Quest (linked to a PC) and HTC Vive. While the visual downgrade is noticeable, it doesn't hurt the game too much. The bigger constraint, for our money, isn't a technical one at all. It has to do with space.

Valve is trying to solve this by making Alyx as flexible as possible in terms of how it's played. You can play at full room-scale, free to wander as far as your physical walls will allow — but, as long as you've got enough room to swing a head-crab, there's also the option to play it standing up or even sitting at your desk. (In this case, crouching and standing is handled with a button press, and as long as you're not too prone to motion sickness, we'd recommend switching to the stick-based 'continuous motion' mode, which means the whole thing controls more like a traditional FPS.) These are important accessibility considerations, and though it hasn't been implemented in the build we play, Valve is working on a single-handed controller scheme.

But provided you are able to play the game at room-scale, it's clearly the best option. The freedom of movement opens up so much of what makes Half-Life: Alyx great, letting you duck and dive and occasionally lose all sense of your position in the real world. And with that in mind, here's the ugly truth: your enjoyment of this game is going to be directly proportional to the amount of space you have to play it in. Being able to potter around freely without fear of destroying furniture or squashing beloved pets is hugely important.

With VR, physical space becomes an extra system requirement to take into consideration — and even those of us who find the allure of Alyx enough to drop a grand on an Index are unlikely to also shell out for a new living room. And even that might not be enough. We play in optimal conditions — a spacious room, all but cleared of obstacles — and still frequently find ourselves brushing up against the translucent boundary wall in-game.

Some of Alyx's best moments involve you being in the dark, or a tightly enclosed space, and often both. VR is excellent at creating tension in these moments, wrapping you in the absence of light, squeezing on your sense of claustrophobia. But the effect is somewhat marred by the presence, if you happen to be stood in the wrong place, of a gridded cage that cuts through the darkness. It's far from a deal-breaker — clearly, given how much we enjoy Alyx — but they are the kind of things you need to be willing to shrug off as a limitation of the technology. Which, when you're trying to convert people to the joys of virtual reality, is not the greatest sales pitch. Worse, it's a problem we can't see a solution to, at least not from a technical perspective — and warehouse-sized VR arcades, much as we'd love to see them, don't feel like a realistic prospect.

This all gets to the strange contradiction that's right at the heart of VR. The common argument for the technology is immersion: that with this virtual world wrapped all around you, it's easier to convince your brain it's real. But there's also more that can wrench you out of it - the occasional tug of a cable, or the occasional itchiness of foam pressed firmly against your forehead. These are the kinds of problems currently sat at the top of Valve's to-do list, hardware-wise, but the simple fact of simultaneously existing in two overlapping spaces means you're playing not just playing the game itself but often a second metagame, as you try to reason where you are outside of the headset and whether you're about to bump into something.

Occasionally, even with the presence of that gridded wall, we manage to let go of that second layer. The game envelops us entirely, and it's a magical moment - until we bump shin-first into a chair, or punch a wall. Honestly, the experience of playing Alyx is worth these minor battle scars, but VR more broadly? We're not sure whether it ever will be.
Hidden content
You need to react to this post in order to see this content.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
That's a fairly shit and cringey article, it doesn't say enough about the game or about VR in general which is an even larger topic. Standing VR is fine, it's not the first VR FPS to judge that by, whether standing or room scale your room is not going to be as big as the game worlds so you'll always resort to other locomotion methods, how soon you will do so doesn't reduce immersion radically. Basically, room scale, unless for tech demos like Unseen Diplomacy and Tea for God, or full location VR avenues, is not for traversal through the worlds but for nearby interactions (lean around, step in cover, reach for objects and items and so on, not to travel through the world and constantly retrace your steps). And why the fuck do they have chairs and walls within the boundaries they set up for them to bump into shit or fear they're about to? You're obviously not meant to set the boundaries right where your walls or furniture are but to set them up to warn you long before you come close to actually hitting something so you can play without fear knowing that even when in the moment you see the boundaries pop up you still have enough room to finish up. It doesn't even explain much of anything about the gameplay in this game or VR in general to make the claim it's for people without VR to get an idea. It doesn't say anything about your hands, manual interactions, physically aiming weapons, etc. And the conclusion is Alyx is worth any minor annoyances they brought on themselves but that VR in general which offers so much more than just a single great game isn't? Nonsense.

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Not like you didn't know already but for posterity, yeah it's out.
This guy is always too good, that's with DEADEYE, ie, he has to aim properly, not let the game auto aim as in default while focusing on the rhythm and stuff.

Last edited:

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
I've played 2 hours of HL:A so far and love it, but have a question - there's physics stuff everywhere but I can't really... do anything with it? I expected to be able to hurl bricks or wield pipes that I found for at least like, a stagger or something, but so far it doesn't seem to do anything at all.

It seems weird especially with the smaller amount of ammo you're getting so far, feels like you should be conserving it by physics'ing at enemies.

It's still fun to rummage around though

low-G

old school cool
Nov 1, 2018
I've played 2 hours of HL:A so far and love it, but have a question - there's physics stuff everywhere but I can't really... do anything with it? I expected to be able to hurl bricks or wield pipes that I found for at least like, a stagger or something, but so far it doesn't seem to do anything at all.

It seems weird especially with the smaller amount of ammo you're getting so far, feels like you should be conserving it by physics'ing at enemies.

It's still fun to rummage around though
What surprises me is that there's no tricky physics puzzles. With these fancy physics I expected rube goldberg machines and crap.