Community The MetaVerse VR thread (hardware/software/etc, all platforms)

derFeef

Cthulhu dreams.
Apr 17, 2019
AUT
I bought/pre-ordered the HMD+Controller bundle. Now my issue is that I will be sitting on Vive + Vive controllers, which is probably hard to sell without base stations.

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
I was going to hold off but if the Headset/Controller bundle is still available in the UK in a minute when i can check the store i'll go for it.

derFeef

Cthulhu dreams.
Apr 17, 2019
AUT
Does anyone have experience with notebook VR? I am looking into buying a 1660 TI laptop and wondering how well this will run regular Vive and maybe Index.

Last edited:

helloCLD

Dec 9, 2018
Buffalo, NY
hellocld.com
Went all in on the Index yesterday, and I'm pretty sure I snagged it in the preorder window. Looking forward to having some VR gear at home in a couple months.

On the dev side, does anyone know where a good starting point might be to start tinkering with OpenXR (if it's even in a state to be tinkered with yet)?

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
I was a bit late and have my headset and controllers reserved and due Aug 31st which is fine as i can save up some extra cash and i have a Vive and PSVR to see me through until then. My housemate got their order in late last night after i told him they were selling out of the first batches so i should be able to see the difference between the Index and Vive Pro towards the end of june when delivery is expected.

derFeef We had a hefty laptop and Occulus setup at work for people to take home and try VR and it worked well but it was a good few years ago. I expect that the laptops that can run VR are much lighter now but as to what spec etc, i dunno sorry.

Phoenix RISING

A phoenix always RISES!
Apr 23, 2019
Ann Arbor, MI
www.geeksundergrace.com
So I do have an Oculus Rift. It's a nice novelty for the most part, but the kind of games that really make me feel "in," are limited by the cord to the thing.

For example, Sairento is the definitive ninja experience. But I can't spin for example, or I get tangled in the cord.

Even with the "guardian system" up, I still ended up smashing my hand on my desk while playing some VR shooter that I don't even remember the name of right now.

And that's the thing: most VR games are shooters on shooters on shooters.

Still waiting on the PC killer app. Moss is good (I have heard...on wishlist), but seems like PSVR has it with that Bot game.

BlueOdin

Dec 3, 2018
So is a good deal on the Odyssey+ a good entry to VR? I then plan on getting the Index Controllers with a base station later since these things are what finally convinced me to jump on the VR train.

Or is there a better/cheaper option? Oculus is out of the question for me since I don't really want to give Facebook any money voluntarily.

OP
Durante

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
If you get a good deal on an Odyssey+ it's a very good entry point, the only real relevant drawback is controller tracking.

However, combining it with Index controllers (I assume that's what you want to do) is problematic. You need to merge the 2 tracking universes, and even then there might be offset issues in longer play sessions. (Since WMR tracking just isn't as stable in terms of absolute position over longer periods and/or larger movements as lighthouse tracking)

Reactions: BlueOdin

BlueOdin

Dec 3, 2018
If you get a good deal on an Odyssey+ it's a very good entry point, the only real relevant drawback is controller tracking.

However, combining it with Index controllers (I assume that's what you want to do) is problematic. You need to merge the 2 tracking universes, and even then there might be offset issues in longer play sessions. (Since WMR tracking just isn't as stable in terms of absolute position over longer periods and/or larger movements as lighthouse tracking)
I usually can't even do long gaming sessions in non-VR if I'm not doing coop so the tracking not being to keep up over longer periods doesn't bother me too much.

Until I can afford the Index controllers additionally (and them being back in stock) there are probably some experience reports I can read on how they work together.

OP
Durante

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Yeah, it's also not like the WMR controllers are unusable or anything like that -- the tracking is just limited for some specific gameplay actions.

Reactions: BlueOdin

Arulan

Lizardman
Dec 7, 2018
Any information on the Valve Index's weight and perceived comfort? I'm on a launch day HTC Vive with the Deluxe Audio Strap.

Last edited:
OP
Durante

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Not a lot yet, which makes sense given the relatively short testing periods. In my experience, HMD comfort is something that starts to matter after 1-2 hours, not earlier.

Valve claim that one of the primary goals when building the entire thing -- and that includes decisions like focusing on extremely low persistence and high refresh, the fine-grained IPD and eye relief settings, as well as the off-ear audio solution -- was to make wearing it comfortable for long stretches of time. It's also the first HMD I see shipping with an additional head shape adapter.

Hopefully they succeeded -- though personally I'm less picky about comfort than most, (e.g. I used the basic Vive with the default strap for sessions of 4+ hours, and am also sort of OK with the default Pimax straps; those really aren't comfortable for longer periods)

derFeef

Cthulhu dreams.
Apr 17, 2019
AUT
If it's anything close to Vive + Deluxe Audio Strap with some weigth reduction I am already very happy. I am more concerned about space for glasses and nose-bridge since this is my weak-spot with VR headsets. I bought contacts for VR since my glasses are a bit too big but I am still not used to them fully and that only adds to eye-strain. I am really curious how well their FOV slider works!

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
Good point. I've kept a pair of my older glasses for VR use when i need them as they are slim lensed and wireframed so they fit without any problem.

That reminds me, I need to finish AstroBot this week while i'm off work.

derFeef

Cthulhu dreams.
Apr 17, 2019
AUT
Maybe I will buy some smaller/cheaper glasses without frame via online store. But I guess contacts are still preferred since you can get the lenses much closer to the eye. I need to train the applying and removing more ;)

Last edited:
OP
Durante

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
If it's anything close to Vive + Deluxe Audio Strap with some weigth reduction I am already very happy. I am more concerned about space for glasses and nose-bridge since this is my weak-spot with VR headsets. I bought contacts for VR since my glasses are a bit too big but I am still not used to them fully and that only adds to eye-strain. I am really curious how well their FOV slider works!
Well, in terms of glasses compatibility it should already be better than the vast majority of HMDs simply by virtue of having an adjustable eye relief distance. (of course you'll likely give up a bit of FoV with that).

OP
Durante

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I see your edit now -- FWIW it takes me about 30 seconds to put in / remove contact lenses after a decade or so of training ;)

Reactions: derFeef

low-G

old school cool
Nov 1, 2018
Well, in terms of glasses compatibility it should already be better than the vast majority of HMDs simply by virtue of having an adjustable eye relief distance. (of course you'll likely give up a bit of FoV with that).
Hopefully like with PSVR, you can leave glasses on when putting on the HMD, unlike when I put on Rift where I have to put my glasses into the headset and put both on at the same time...

Last edited:

Kuro

"Oh yeah? Aren't you gonna punish me?"
Dec 22, 2018
Contacts just for VR is a pain, I tried but after having my eye red for day I quit that. Of course it takes some learning but as someone who can't hold back in the instinct to just blink my eyes everytime I touch them it was hard.
I bought prescription lenses for my Oculus so I don't have to wear glasses with it, hopefully that becomes option for Index too later.

Wonder if people will be selling Vives for cheap now after Index is out, really want to make the jump to that camp but not too interested in paying too much. Would be dope to get cheap Vive controller+lighthouses then buy Index.

derFeef

Cthulhu dreams.
Apr 17, 2019
AUT
Contacts just for VR is a pain, I tried but after having my eye red for day I quit that. Of course it takes some learning but as someone who can't hold back in the instinct to just blink my eyes everytime I touch them it was hard.
I bought prescription lenses for my Oculus so I don't have to wear glasses with it, hopefully that becomes option for Index too later.

Wonder if people will be selling Vives for cheap now after Index is out, really want to make the jump to that camp but not too interested in paying too much. Would be dope to get cheap Vive controller+lighthouses then buy Index.
Did you get the lenses I posted above or a different brand? Any impressions on clarity or if they add/reduce the flare effect?

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Guess Im just gonna have to use my Rift until Valve decides to start shipping Indexes to Norway or something else happens. I just want a HMD that does not need to open up third party software like Oculus, but the VIVE is steep in price, no Knuckles/Oculus Touch like controllers and their support is seemingly shit.

Not that Oculus client is bad, I just don't want to use it when using SteamVR.

derFeef

Cthulhu dreams.
Apr 17, 2019
AUT
Uh hey, just got a -60% voucher for Raw Data on Steam. Is the game worth it? I would cost 15€

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
FNAV:VR got a page on Steam.

Also, yesterday I preordered Index pack with controllers and lighthouse stations. we'll see when it comes and when I get charged haha

Kuro

"Oh yeah? Aren't you gonna punish me?"
Dec 22, 2018
Did you get the lenses I posted above or a different brand? Any impressions on clarity or if they add/reduce the flare effect?
I got mine from here, shipped fast and the installation was easy for Oculus.
Clarity is great, for first few hours it felt REALLY weird to be seeing so well without any glasses, and I can't say they add flare that I've noticed at least, they're definitive upgrade to me from having my glasses crammed up in the headset or having my eyes tear up from contacts.

derFeef

Cthulhu dreams.
Apr 17, 2019
AUT
I got mine from here, shipped fast and the installation was easy for Oculus.
Clarity is great, for first few hours it felt REALLY weird to be seeing so well without any glasses, and I can't say they add flare that I've noticed at least, they're definitive upgrade to me from having my glasses crammed up in the headset or having my eyes tear up from contacts.
Thanks, this will be the path I will go for sure. The site above already announced Index lenses but I guess this one will too soon. Sad I don't have my glasses infos with me or I would have ordered a set for my Vive by now.

Reactions: Kuro

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Uh hey, just got a -60% voucher for Raw Data on Steam. Is the game worth it? I would cost 15€
I think it's one of the better wave shooters. I like how it has a semblance of a story and progression and upgrading some class skills and stuff and how some arenas are a bit more complex and larger so you have to wander around a little bit (it has a free locomotion setting). It's still a wave shooter though. Also quite demanding to run well. The pistols of that one class feel great, so meaty. I'd say it's worth it for -60% unless you hate wave shooters with a passion. It has co-op.

Last edited:

low-G

old school cool
Nov 1, 2018
Not sure that’s the cheapest it has been but it’s up there in terms of fun, I think. Not Robo Recall level but good in its own, different, ways.

derFeef

Cthulhu dreams.
Apr 17, 2019
AUT
I think it's one of the better wave shooters. I like how it has a semblance of a story and progression and upgrading some class skills and stuff and how some arenas are a bit more complex and larger so you have to wander around a little bit (it has free locomotion). It's still a wave shooter though. Also quite demanding to run well. The pistols of that one class feel great, so meaty. I'd say it's worth it for -60% unless you hate wave shooters with a passion. It has co-op too.
Not sure that’s the cheapest it has been but it’s up there in terms of fun, I think. Not Robo Recall level but good in its own, different, ways.
Thanks! I looked at the price history and it did not go much cheaper so I just used the voucher. I am not that into wave shooters usually but if it's well made and feels good as you said than it seems worth it!

Reactions: Alextended

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Tell us how you like it. Start with the Bishop class and check out some of its upgrades after a couple missions, they change gameplay a lot, like getting akimbo pistols or a simplified reloading shortcut and other such stuff, it's pretty cool.

derFeef

Cthulhu dreams.
Apr 17, 2019
AUT
Will do :) Got other vouchers after the purchase (Thanks, Valve!) So I also finally own both Gallery episodes as well.

OP
Durante

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Raw Data is actually still one of the best coop action games in VR bar none, IMHO.

Unlike a lot of VR games, it has a very noticeable challenge and learning curve, and you can really see your skill as a player improving over time. E.g. I spent a lot of time playing Saija, and towards the end I could control my sword throws extremely well (that is, their angle of rotation, direction, speed, and distance), while at first it was very hit-or-miss.

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
With all the talk about VR ive dusted off my Vive and played some games I picked up but never got round to. This one...

Is really good. You are a spy tasked with solving a problem like escaping a situation. Its quite funny and each little mission is unique enough.

It also has a cigar. As an ex-smoker I think VR smoking is fantastic.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Bought this a while ago when it was on sale a week ago or so

It's a lot of fun.

Also, I really like 3rd person games in VR.

Also, got 1x of each of these coupons for those interested:

65% on The Gallery Episode 2
75% of The Gallery Episode 1
75% onb Electronauts
60% Raw Dats

derFeef

Cthulhu dreams.
Apr 17, 2019
AUT
I have a 1080TI - is it safe to say that I am fine to run most stuff with the Index? I also will get a laptop with either a 2060 or 1660TI soon - how well would they handle the Index? (8th or 9th i7 generation).

Edit: I also still think Soundboxing is more fun than any other music thing I tried, including Audioshield and Beat Saber. Wish it would get some new features tho.

Last edited:

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
I have a 1080TI - is it safe to say that I am fine to run most stuff with the Index? I also will get a laptop with either a 2060 or 1660TI soon - how well would they handle the Index? (8th or 9th i7 generation).
I'm assuming the GPU requirements will be similar to the Vive, which if so you should be fine for most current games. I have a Titan XP and the most demanding game I play on the Vive is Elite Dangerous. Whilst it runs smoothly there is issue with the clarity of text and jaggies. The immersion trumps those issues though. The future of VR is really exciting.

Not sure about the laptop.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

That shit looks so glitchy, hahaha. They need a better developer for their simulations. Still cool though :p

And then they also need to give it to us as a real game for home use with some tweaks. SWAT 3 & 4 in VR!

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

I played VR Regata and didn't like it too much, it's probably pretty cool for actual enthusiasts of sailing and simmers but I wished it did some things like free locomotion and smooth turning and such stuff in a more convenient manner. Maybe I was too hard on it given you spend so little time out of a boat, hahaha.

Shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Apr 28, 2019
www.theouterhaven.net
Can't wait to get into VR. I was holding out for the next-gen of headsets and now we got em. Already dropped my cash for Oculus Rift S. Was thinking about the Index, but at $1000. Yeah, pass. Still, hoping the "downgrades" to Rift S don't really ruin the experience.

Reactions: Nabs

derFeef

Cthulhu dreams.
Apr 17, 2019
AUT
I ordered those prescribed lense addons for my Vive, hopefully they won't take too long to make/ship.
Meanwhile thinking of how to make more room for VR, I am still slightly under the recommended roomscale size. I have an option to use VR in a different room but I would need either a second PC or a upgrade my current laptop to a VR capable laptop for that - which I think I am going to do.

OP
Durante

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Durante by the way, maybe add the Valve index in the list in the OP proper now :p
Good point. The section I have in the OP is really intended for HW you can get right now, but I'll keep that in mind.

At some point I might try creating a comparison table, it's probably easier than a flat list. There are various attempts at that out there, but none of them really satisfy me ;)

By the way, in terms of first impressions, it looks like the HP Reverb isn't quite "all that" even if you account for the known WMR tracking weaknesses:

All those visual artifacts sound pretty gross (and some of them I've never heard of before).

Last edited:

derFeef

Cthulhu dreams.
Apr 17, 2019
AUT
Uhm, that game seems familiar...

Also gonna try that Payday 2 VR mode out since I own that game, I like when games have seemless coop with desktop players.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Couldn't enjoy Payday2 in VR, it's really good in some ways, but pretty bad in others. No smooth turning option either. I read there's a mod for it but I couldn't bother. But yeah try it. I guess if you don't mind turning around all over yourself smooth turning isn't at all necessary. But they could have patched it in...

Last edited:

derFeef

Cthulhu dreams.
Apr 17, 2019
AUT
Thumper is really great in VR, looks great but I would not recommend the Vive controllers for that, sometimes rapid presses aren't recongized.
Couldn't enjoy Payday2 in VR, it's really good in some ways, but pretty bad in others. No smooth turning option either. I read there's a mod for it but I couldn't bother. But yeah try it. I guess if you don't mind turning around all over yourself smooth turning isn't at all necessary. But they could have patched it in...
I just tried it and yeah, the movement I don't enjoy at all - I really dislike turning myself in VR a lot. I will try the mod but smooth locomotion usually gives me motion sickness :-/

derFeef

Cthulhu dreams.
Apr 17, 2019
AUT
I think I do already own that ;) For my workout I used Soundboxing for now.
Man I can't wait for the Index and especially the controllers - I started to dislike the Vive controllers a bit especially the grip buttons.