Community The MetaVerse VR thread (hardware/software/etc, all platforms)

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
I just bought Arizona Sunshine. I wanted something to use my Aim controller with, and it’s only £8-ish on PSN right now. Excited to try it!

Arulan

Lizardman
Dec 7, 2018
Any impressions yet on how well the Knuckles play with original Vive/lighthouses?
I don't see why there would be any problems. A lot of the people giving impressions of the Valve Index were using 1.0 Lighthouses.

OP
Durante

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Yeah, and devs have been using various versions of the Index controllers with 1.0 lighthouses and Vives for a long time.

Spice and Wolf VR is out now (I got my KS key). From the Steam reviews it seems like it is what it says on the tin: an episode of Spice&Wolf in VR. Very pricey if you think in terms of content/money, but as long as it's high quality I have no issue with that.

Will wait for the Index to try it though.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Valve is super bad at communicating about Index availability. No offical words on if the US (and it's not even all the states) and some of the EU countries are the only ones who are able to buy the Index.

Valve is great at a lot of things, but not communication in regards to the hardware they are selling.

SRossi

regretten? rien!
Dec 9, 2018
Valve is super bad at communicating about Index availability. No offical words on if the US (and it's not even all the states) and some of the EU countries are the only ones who are able to buy the Index.

Valve is great at a lot of things, but not communication in regards to the hardware they are selling.
I get it. You are disappointed and angry that the index isn't sold in Norway. I understand that, I guess I would also feel disappointed if I would be in your situation. But you could have joined the EU :p
No, really, that doesn't make their communication bad, they communicated clearly that it will only be available in the US and EU at first. They sad it explicitly. I would say that makes their communication rather good. Add to that they didn't ship their first preorders and are backordered to late September afaik they didn't make any other announcement.

So, if you really desperately need one, import it, buy from third party or go into politics and campaign for joining the EU.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
I get it. You are disappointed and angry that the index isn't sold in Norway. I understand that, I guess I would also feel disappointed if I would be on your situation. But you could have joined the EU :p
No, really, that doesn't make their communication bad, they communicated clearly that it will only be available in the US and EU at first. They sad it explicitly. I would say that makes their communication rather good. Add to that they didn't ship their first preorders and are backordered to late September afaik they didn't make any other announcement.

So, if you really desperately need one, import it, buy from third party or go into politics and campaign for joining the EU.
EU is bad, so Im glad we're not in.

And where have they explicitly said it will be available in US and EU first? All Ive seen is a customer support message.

SRossi

regretten? rien!
Dec 9, 2018
Again, link me to their statement where Valve has officially stated that EU and US is first and will be available elsewhere later.
nah, search for it yourself.
but you don't have to! because it will never be (officially) available in Norway! it's not worth it to make it available to an isolated country at the edge of the EU!

Sure, Australia, Canada and all the others will get it but not Norway. Those are the perks of not being in the shitty EU! boy you can be glad, dodged a bullet there!
Maybe you can oder it later on some EU Amazon site when it's available there. I'm sure they will ship to you!

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
nah, search for it yourself.
but you don't have to! because it will never be (officially) available in Norway! it's not worth it to make it available to an isolated country at the edge of the EU!

Sure, Australia, Canada and all the others will get it but not Norway. Those are the perks of not being in the shitty EU! boy you can be glad, dodged a bullet there!
Maybe you can oder it later on some EU Amazon site when it's available there. I'm sure they will ship to you!
You wrote that they have explicitly stated that Index will be available elsewhere, so why should I search after it? Back up your sources.

Also, how do you know Canada and Australia will get the Index? Valve hasn't said anything about the Index being available there. Maybe in Canada as Valve apparently has previously partnered up with EB Games to sell hardware according to some folks on Reddit, but Valve partnering up with EB games for the Index is so far only wishful thinking.

Can you guys not fight it out?

EU is neither heaven nor hell, not being in the EU is neither heaven nor hell, and buying a VR set officially wouldn't be the reason to want to be in or out...

Nor is a company shit because of unavailability, every country has products that are unavailable through official channels. So you care about this one, ok.
It's about communication. You know what Valve could do? Say something.

Last edited:

SRossi

regretten? rien!
Dec 9, 2018
Can you guys not fight it out?

EU is neither heaven nor hell, not being in the EU is neither heaven nor hell, and buying a VR set officially wouldn't be the reason to want to be in or out...

Nor is a company shit because of unavailability, every country has products that are unavailable through official channels. So you care about this one, ok.
You know, i just wanted to say to him that this one is not on valve, they said they will do just a limited release in us and eu at first and they will up availability later.
That's all.
He than responded with "nah shit eu, glad we not in brah".
And knowing our friend fanto and how he is i can't not tease him when he just spews some dumb shit again. that's on me sorry.
fanto, you are free to spew dumb shit again!

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
You know, i just wanted to say to him that this one is not on valve, they said they will do just a limited release in us and eu at first and they will up availability later.
That's all.
He than responded with "nah shit eu, glad we not in brah".
And knowing our friend fanto and how he is i can't not tease him when he just spews some dumb shit again. that's on me sorry.
fanto, you are free to spew dumb shit again!
1) I never said EU was shit, I used the word "bad". EU would be bad for Norway as we would lose some control over our fish and oil policies.
2) You keep saying they have said something about availability, I just want a source on that, that's all.
3) What dumb shit?

Edit:
Anyways, Im having a lot of fun with Dance Collider through Viveport. There's an official song editor with the game too. Sadly, can't find any custom songs.

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

This one seems like a nice narrative thingie. It needs a bit of room space, I was just about able to reach some stuff in the early sections. But for me it hangs on a black screen after selecting my element (you'll know when you get there). I hope it's fixed soon, I want to see what's next and if it gets more interactive and fun or maintains that walking sim (teleporting only to preset spots) style. Either way, it's good and free. Edit: so either others get the "bug" or the game really ends there and so abruptly after a few minutes only. If it's really the end then you can just youtube it. I hope they make a full experience out of it because it's really well done and promising stuff, I'd like to see more of that (and if it becomes an actual game rather than narrative with limited interactivity even better).

I played this and while it's not my kind of game, kind of minecrafty, it's less LEGO and more gamey so I might enjoy it. You have a shitty space station, you're stranded, you take space walks out to floating debris which might be random wreckage or appear to be somewhat intact station/ship sections you can possibly enter and dissolve stuff into/find resources to then craft upgrades for your suit and station modules and everything you'll need to survive. Random meteorites crash into your station and you have to repair the holes. You need to keep your oxygen levels and such. It's probably relatively simple with little to find/craft/fight (if anything beyond space hazards?) and what not but it feels really polished and well made. As long as it doesn't stretch the content too thin over too much grinding to progress I'll probably play it through. I like the locomotion, it's like Lone Echo/Echo VR/Echo Combat but a bit simpler and easier, the thrusters are more powerful so you can use them to get around fast and it maintains the grabbing of objects to attach to/launch off of. The UI interactive elements on your menus, inventories, crafting stations, and stuff like door panels, is pretty cool.

I don't speak German so I can't speak for the story but the visuals are pretty convincing, though there are lots of errors and glitches and the non-natural surfaces aren't as good. I guess it's based on photogrammetry but they didn't have the tools, skill or time to polish it. It seems like a VR walking sim (teleports only to preset points) with some interactions like your flashlight which is cool (and doubles as a means to, erm, you'll see), and some items here and there to use in puzzles but it's pretty on-rails. There's a section you can choose how the story unfolds I think. I'm stuck right after that. I hope they translate it with subtitles, it's pretty atmospheric and cool despite the lack of interactivity and free locomotion. Also it works well with Oculus even though it says it only supports Vive. It even has the basic Touch gestures like pointing and thumbs up. But it needs 360 VR, I didn't see options for artificial turning.

Last edited:
Reactions: derFeef

derFeef

Cthulhu dreams.
Apr 17, 2019
AUT
Oh wow Space Pirates and Zombies 2 got VR support? I liked the first game but never bought the second one.

Seems like the right game to wait for the Steam Sale.

OP
Durante

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I'd say the Odyssey plus at that price is a really good deal.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

The VA is so bad. I hope past the introtutorials the game's not story heavy and just gives you good action and areas to explore and go through :)

The environments look pretty neat and hopefully puzzling also escalates beyond what's seen here (which the VA proceeds to spell out for you).

Also this came out on Steam and Oculus Store.

My impressions of the recent beta test are here. Tl;dr, good action and stuff but I wish it was a continuous adventure rather than another arena game.

Edit: on Oculus Store it's 19,99 and on Steam 16,79 for me. Not that I'd buy from Oculus given the choice but, weird, I wonder if it's the same for other games.

Edit: it must be a region thing, I linked the Steam page in Discord and there it showed up as 19,99 bucks, I guess on Steam they bothered to kind of convert the price to Euros properly while on Oculus Store they didn't and just did the usual $1 = 1 EUR. Or something along those lines. Or I'm completely wrong, ha.

Last edited:

Nabs

Hyper˗Toxic Pro˗Consumer
Oct 23, 2018
Due to some luck, I might have gotten enough money to buy the Samsung Odyssey Plus on Amazon for $299.99. Should I get it?

I want the Index, but it might just be a little too much for me right now.
I have one, it's really nice. If you end up with any issues just let me know, I can probably link a solution or two. If you run into any problems with the fit or comfort levels, adding a simple velcro strap might be the solution.

Grab some Amazon Basics AA rechargeable batteries if you don't already have 4 to spare. This thing eats up batteries.

Nzyme

Time to get Fit
Sep 19, 2018
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!

Please be good please be both an awesome meaty VR game and an awesome Thief 1 & 2 successor!
That looks really damn good - but you mentioning Thief successor and meaty game.. yeah that would be awesome. In the most ideal world, it would be pretty cool if Valve and several devs are quietly preparing announcement for these kind of titles to drop regularly post Index launch

Looks like there will be more news on June 10 - so Upload VR's showcase

OP
Durante

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I got this email:

Looks like the Index might arrive a bit earlier than the 28th, with a bit of luck.

Anyone played this? A voucher showed up in my inventory for it.
I played it. It's not long (or particularly challenging), but it's a high-quality experience and you really notice that it was made for VR.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
This could be neat. I thought the kayak would be a set piece thing but from the game description I guess you're in it the whole game through, haha.

It should make for interesting locomotion and level design at least, giving it a plausible reason for the limitations, hopefully it's gonna be good :)
Gameplay of this thing's Quest version. Not much not seen in the trailer but it looks decent.

I guess it's left eye rendering for the game so you can't see him aiming his guns properly with his right eye, lol. I can't tell how on-rails the whole thing is going to be, how limited the kayak paths are. But even if it's just a glorified Hitman: Sniper Assassin with some neat locomotion between the action it could be good fun.

Last edited:

SRossi

regretten? rien!
Dec 9, 2018
I got this email:

Looks like the Index might arrive a bit earlier than the 28th, with a bit of luck.
got the same mail, let's hope.

btw the @SteamVR twitter account was unusually active today including a retweet to the vertigo games teaser.

Nzyme

Time to get Fit
Sep 19, 2018
Speaking of which = Cloudhead Games New Game Reveal, Monday June 10 at UploadVR's Showcase. It's the second mystery project coded "Pistol Whip"

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
The boneworks stuff looks really good.

Might be the thing that gets me to upgrade to an index.

Reactions: Mor

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Yeah, I'm glad they're taking care to properly support Oculus though (but hopefully they use the triggers in analog and touch sensitive - to know when the finger isn't even touching them to extent it fully for further presence and immersion - not just as a button as mentioned here to maybe keep the tweet short).

Rather than gimp it by treating everything outside Index like generic VR controllers.

The game will be really cool regardless of the device used, the magic is in the programmed and physics interactions that make it so immersing.

Also a demonstration of how easy it is for a VR game to make you a sadist haha. I did similar shit to the poor AI when first playing Blade & Sorcery, it was weirdly compelling to thrust sharp objects into bodies that offer a semblance of resistance to your murderous goals... Lol :face-with-tears-of-joy:

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
All this and more courtesy of the Upload VR E3 Showcase.

They had lots of cool stuff after all. I've been looking forward to Espire 1 for forever, I hope it delivers on the premise, the gameplay there is hype to me.

Budget Cuts 2, After the Fall, and tons more are super hype too, if not because of the shown material then because of the premise/studio/etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: low-G

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Missed this zany looking co-op game.

Epic Games Store got a VR PC port too. I can't say I was excited about it but it's pretty.

Aw, and some bad news. Sucks. Lone Echo 2 delayed to Q1 2020 as they spread themselves thin with porting Echo VR to the Quest.

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Expandalone to the original The Wizards according to Upload VR. Cool teaser.

After the Fall (the Arizona Sunshine dev's game) got some screenshots on its Steam page.

Last edited:

lazerfox

Alpine Flower Boy
Dec 31, 2018
Switzerland
fantomena I think you mentioned the Index is also not available in your country so it's probably the same situation for you:
The biggest swiss online retailer tried to get supply directly from Valve but they couldn't get any units for now.

I don't really play much VR in the summer so I can wait but I really want the knuckles by holiday season at the latest.

OP
Durante

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I just saw After The Fall, really looking forward to that one.

Arizona Sunshine was a great co-op VR campaign (even if it had some technical issues at least around launch), and I expect them to improve significantly in the followup now that they have that experience.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

This could be cool.

In the game, you’re a police officer assigned to city-block 303, and while teaser footage released so far doesn’t explore the gameplay in much depth, the developer says that players will “patrol the streets (and the skies above them) solving mysteries, fighting crime, or giving in to corruption.”

Last edited: