Community The MetaVerse VR thread (hardware/software/etc, all platforms)

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018

This one could be cool:
BOTH LOOK AMAZING :cat-heart-blob:
How is it in its current state?
Aesthetically was really appealing with that John Wick + visual bugs style, IDK, maybe I'm weird when it comes to games haha

Kuro

"Oh yeah? Aren't you gonna punish me?"
Dec 22, 2018
How is VR performance on Ryzen?
Looks like 6700K is due upgrade soon and thinking of jumping camp for Ryzen 9 12-core.

low-G

old school cool
Nov 1, 2018
How is VR performance on Ryzen?
Looks like 6700K is due upgrade soon and thinking of jumping camp for Ryzen 9 12-core.
Ryzen does a bit worse in VR than Intel proportion to their respective game performance.

For the same price I can guarantee the i9-9900k will do a lot better in VR games.

SRossi

regretten? rien!
Dec 9, 2018
so once again oculus/facebook show who they really are, for all the people who think they are save with revive and are supporting these fucks on the oculus store:

they are forcing the virtual desktop dev to rip out the steamvr streaming feature because according to them it is hurting oculus/quest.

low-G

old school cool
Nov 1, 2018
so once again oculus/facebook show who they really are, for all the people who think they are save with revive and are supporting these fucks on the oculus store:

they are forcing the virtual desktop dev to rip out the steamvr streaming feature because according to them it is hurting oculus/quest.
Yeah, I'm definitely off the Oculus train at this point. Still enjoy my Rift (CV1) but I won't buy another Oculus product unless they change their tune, now that there is a good alternative.

The Rift S was the first sign that they weren't interested in progressing VR and this is the latest.

Arulan

Lizardman
Dec 7, 2018
It has been clear for a long time now that Oculus' vision for the future of VR is a closed-platform that they control. They make some good hardware, but I have no interest in supporting that vision.

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
You can sideload apps on Quest iirc. Just as you can play games from outside the Oculus Store on PC Rift products.

They have control of their own stores as a PC dd platform and as the main store of their stand alone mobile VR set.

I don't find that weird, what company with its own store doesn't control it as they see fit? Do you think there are no restrictions to PSVR software?

Not advancing VR, sure.

Cos Touch sucked and you can only advance VR by $1000+ products, not making great software and platforms that have mainstream potential like Quest.

Last edited:

SRossi

regretten? rien!
Dec 9, 2018
You can sideload apps on Quest iirc. Just as you can play games from outside the Oculus Store on PC Rift products..

They have control of their own stores as a PC dd platform and as the main store of their stand alone mobile VR set.

I don't find that weird, what company with its own store doesn't control it as they see fit?

Not advancing VR, sure.
Cos Touch sucked so much. And you can only advance VR by $1000+ products, not by making great software and platforms that can go mainstream like Quest.
yes you can sideload apps. but the official app on the store will not have steamvr streaming because oculus doesn't allow it. And yeah i think it's weird that Oculus forbids a dev to
publish an app with a feature enabled they don't like. Very weird. I find it weird that you don't find it weird.

your last 2 sentences are a bit shit don't you think? fanboy much?

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
I know how first party stores work so no it's not weird to me. I'm fine with it being weird to you and nowhere did I say I applaud it either.

Sure, if that's all your argument amounts to, yeah, total fanboy here with all of 1 games bought on the Oculus Store, don't mind me, lol.

Keep fighting the good fight and like people saying Nintendo doesn't care about games/gamers cos their hardware isn't a $599 beast.

Regardless, I hope the dude can sell his app outside the Oculus Store and/or they change their policy in regards to this being allowed.

Anyone know if that function in Virtual Desktop was better than/as good as the one seen in Air Light VR (or VRidge if that's improved)?

Last edited:

uraizen

Oct 7, 2018

That is some top tier bullshit and one of the lousiest excuses I have ever heard.

SRossi

regretten? rien!
Dec 9, 2018
Sure, if that's all your argument amounts to, yeah, total fanboy here with all of 1 games bought on the Oculus Store, don't mind me, lol.

Keep fighting the good fight and like people saying Nintendo doesn't care about games/gamers cos their hardware isn't a $599 beast.
dude, don't get me wrong, i don't have anything against you but you wrote a lame excuse for oculus' behaviour which is inexcusable imo.
and you brought the money and "not advance hardware" argument out of nowhere; it has nothing to do with the issue, my argument was
that people should not trust oculus/facebook that one day they just lock out revive. i know their excuse back then was "oh no, that was
an accident" but we all know that was bullshit.
I don't even know why you brought the money/hardware issue to the table. It makes you sound defensive.

Touch was good back then. Did never say it was shit. Well, once one of them broke out of nowhere because i guess i played to much and
they took a while to replace it but eh, it was better than the wands imo. that doesn't change that the store politics from oculus and facebook
are shit and don't need to be excused.

I'll keep fighting the good fight; and you should try to not slip into heany territory.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
I didn't bring it out of nowhere, the Rift S (commonly attacked for not being a Rift 2 with crazy resolution and specs despite the much needed changes it brought to their line of products in terms of ease of use and setup), rather than any store policy of theirs, was called proof they don't care for VR. Nowhere did I bring any excuses. Move on, don't waste your time on a fanboy's shit posts, I said what I had on the topic, I have no desire to obfuscate it with rants over whatever else.

Last edited:

SRossi

regretten? rien!
Dec 9, 2018
I didn't bring it out of nowhere, the Rift S (commonly attacked for not being a Rift 2 with crazy resolution and specs despite the much needed changes it brought to their line of products in terms of ease of use and setup), rather than any store policy of theirs, was called proof they don't care for VR. Nowhere did I bring any excuses. Move on, don't waste your time on a fanboy's shit posts, I said what I had on the topic, I have no desire to obfuscate it with rants over whatever else.
Sure you said what I guess you had to say on that topic. I just don't know why you replied to me, because that wasn't my topic, not even hinted.

OP
Durante

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Do you think there are no restrictions to PSVR software?
I have no interest in supporting PSVR, just like I have no interest in supporting Oculus either.

There are enough people that don't care about open platforms or long-term concerns to support these platforms without my help.
That's not to say they do nothing for VR adoption -- but that doesn't mean I have to support them, when the type of platform they envision does not match with what I think the future of VR (just like computing in general) should be.

Last edited:
Reactions: SRossi and Arulan

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Didn't tell anyone to support anybody, not that other companies like Nvidia people are happy to support are all about openess. Modern gaming = capitalism.
I was hyped for this game on announcement but seeing more of it and what it turned out to be, not so much any more.

I'll wait for all episodes to be out on PC to see if it's worth it to me in some kind of bundle then.

Last edited:

Nabs

Hyper˗Toxic Pro˗Consumer
Oct 23, 2018
SteamVR Updated - 1.5.8 https://steamcommunity.com/games/250820/announcements/detail/1600381633537138452

Update Highlights
  • Support for Oculus Rift S including models in the dashboard and many applications.
  • Fixed numerous stability issues and bugs.
  • New mechanisms to avoid driver conflicts that prevented users from using their preferred HMD.
---------

Borderlands 2 VR PC rated by the ESRB. I wonder if they'll go from one exclusivity deal to another.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alextended

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!

Please be good please be both an awesome meaty VR game and an awesome Thief 1 & 2 successor!
The full trailer is out! The VA/music/action isn't so well put together (muting the real audio for crazy info dump etc) but the game looks great, hopefully it is!

More Asgard's Wrath praise.

Last edited:
OP
Durante

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Yeah, the amount of exposition in that trailer is a bit silly, but the gameplay looks promising,

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Wow, out of nowhere, it's alive! Hype!
In a reply to users on the game’s discussion board, Bailey writes, “I’ve been operating under an NDA for a while, but will be able to make a full product announcement soon. In brief, the full expansion, ch3 and ch4 will ship within weeks. I remain the sole developer on the project, and again apologize for the lack of communication on progress.”
What NDA Bailey might be under isn’t entirely clear, but it seems likely that he’s been developing the game for the Valve Index headset, especially considering his pedigree as a former Valve employee who worked on the Half-Life series.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Is HLVR a thing? I guess it really depends on if they can easily replace all the real-life-motion-tracking actions with simply pressing E for things like picking up an object and then using the mouse to rotate as needed if you need such interactions, hold G to have various degrees of force when throwing an object, or whatever else vs just doing the motion and letting go of it. Similarly for weapons systems, if you can just point and click to shoot and press R to reload vs doing the motions realistically. Of course it all affects the feel of the gameplay then, how intuitive and fast you can be, sometimes more so in VR, some times out of it because the action is simpler, etc. I guess in theory it's plausible for pretty much every game but will they bother programming vastly different mechanics like that, with varying degrees of depth each, such completely different control methods? It might be too much. Or not. Duck Season was a fairly simplistic game/experience thing, personally I found it wonky in VR even, at least with a Rift, and didn't go far, it wasn't my thing regardless. There are other games that work in and out of VR like Vox Machinae and I guess pretty much all the vehicle cockpit games where control input is nearly interchangeable, only immersion changes. Though some have to go to greater lengths to make it work, if for example they have simulated cockpits then on top of the interactions with your hands on cockpit switches etc, they need to program conventional interactions on top with hotkeys, support for wheels, hotas, controllers, or whatever is applicable for each specific game (some of which works for VR too, it's not like you have to use the motion controllers over a flight stick or wheel).

Anyway. More cool VR tech. Enterprise Edition probably means a high price. It's cool to see such gloves become smaller, these look quite compact, if they work they could eventually maybe replace the somewhat faked tracking of Index style stuff with full simulation and haptic/force feedback on top of that!

They say a consumer version is planned but who knows how good/affordable/supported such a product will be or if it and the company will have a long life.

Last edited:

uraizen

Oct 7, 2018
So... I already checked ITAD for this, but is there somewhere that might be selling beat saber for cheap that I don't know about? Worst case scenario, I'll wait and see what happens during the Steam sale.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
They only raised the price recently when it came out of early access so I don't think it will go on sale soon but who knows.

Mor

Sep 7, 2018
Borderlands 2 VR PC rated by the ESRB. I wonder if they'll go from one exclusivity deal to another.

Interesting, this happened the very same day the timed exclusivity ended, 6 months, as for another exclusivity, I don't really think so as this isn't playable without a headset, the rest of VR enabled games on EGS are playable in non-vr mode, and also, I don't think EGS want's 2 vr when 3 is this near, so we will see....

Speaking of the game itself, don't know much about it tbh, but once thing is for sure, if it comes and it doesn't have motion controllers support, I'm done with it, wont even consider it at all, so yeah, it better have it.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
For those in the unknown:

Journey of the Gods is coming today to Rift/S
Vader Immortal Episode 1 is coming on the 20th to Rift/S

Reactions: Mor
OP
Durante

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
The Vanishing Realms news is interesting. It was short, but one of my favourite overall VR games early on.

OP
Durante

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Reactions: Mor and Alextended

Mor

Sep 7, 2018
Valve has started doing some "deep dive" articles about the Index, the first is about FoV:

Good stuff.
Thanks for sharing, yeah, I love when they do this kind of things, hope for consistency.

OP
Durante

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
New SteamVR website:

(Not all the links from there seem to be live yet)

Reactions: Mor

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Thanks, Durante. My housemate is getting annoyed by all the scoops i've been beating him to lately thanks to this thread :)

Reactions: lashman

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
I got Journey of the Gods PC and played a bit. It's not really Zelda-like but it feels good. Nice yet simple combat systems between the sword and shield, crossbow and god powers you acquire. But it's not at all open (so far), you have a hub with a handful of NPCs and open up new areas in a preset sequence as each area is essentially an old school "stage" with one primary quest to complete before going back to the hub and opening a new area and maybe some bonus items off the beaten path. They mix and match some things but they're heavily combat focused, no real puzzling or anything. It feels good, it looks stylish, but, again, so far, it's not nearly of the caliber you might have expected by all the it's like a VR Zelda hype. It's good, I don't regret getting it and if it ever goes on sale I'd say it's a no brainer as the few things they do here they do them great. The different enemy types with their abilities and how you can counter them or exploit their weaknesses and so on. I've upgraded all my gear once so the sword is longer, the crossbow can fire more bolts in sequence and the shield is also larger so it's easier to block projectiles with it. I hope it does well and maybe a sequel can expand on everything and make it a true Zelda-like with puzzles, dungeons, some melee/humanoid enemies that can match your skill, maybe an interconnected overworld and such to give it some breadth and depth on top.

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
More Espire 1 gameplay from random tubers. I can't wait to get my hands on this one.

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
This one has always looked a bit like Oculus' own Blood & Truth style spy thriller set piece driven kind of game. But way jankier.

Not the same level of production values as Sony AAA stuff but hopefully not quite as on-rails and restricted as that given the Touch capabilities.

I'm reading it's only gonna cost $19,99 so I guess it doesn't bode as well for its scope as most (but not all of the) higher profile Oculus games are 39,99.

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
This looks interesting. I've longed for a SWAT-like VR FPS and this almost goes for the concept, though it has the cartoony + coop with non-VR player gimmicks.

I'll be watching how it develops! The last hotfixes seem to address the complaints the one super negative and harsh for an ea review discusses. Promising!

Last edited:
OP
Durante

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Someone on reddit sent me the FoV data for Index, so my table is now "complete":

As I expected from the beginning, the total rendered FoV is quite similar to the Pimax "small" setting, with a bit less horizontal and a bit more vertical FoV.

Horizontal FoV
The rendered (and also visible, given that it's possible to see the screen edges on these HMDs out of the box) horizontal FoV is ~25° larger than on Rift (both CV1 and S). Comparing to Vive is more difficult since, by default, most people including me can't see the entire Vive FoV. It renders ~6° more than Vive/Pro, so that's the lower bound, but the difference in visible FoV is most likely a good bit larger than that for most.

Vertical FoV
The rendered vertical FoV is basically the same as on Vive, which means that it is best-in-class for consumer VR HMDs, and a good bit larger than on Rift, Pimax, and non-Samsung WMR HMDs. Again, more of it should be visible to most people than with the normal Vive/Pro setup.

Stereo Overlap and per-eye FoV
Stereo overlap is still very large, the only part where you don't get stereo is towards the very edges. What's interesting is that the rendered per-eye FoV is basically exactly the same as on Vive Pro. This is good in that it means the increased RGB subpixel resolution is spread across the same size, which means you should get better clarity.
However, due to the canting of the displays (and, for most people, being able to see the full rendered image unlike on the Pro), you get more total visible binocular FoV out of the same rendered FoV.

Last edited:
OP
Durante

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Got the "we are preparing your items to ship" mail, yay!
Yeah, mine shipped as well.

GLS, sadly, and I really don't have good experiences with that. I'm already mentally preparing for Monday delivery :p

Reactions: SRossi
OP
Durante

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
It depends on what you consider "hidden", but here are a few games that are good and that I don't see people talk about much:
  • Airtone (very solid rythm game with a good amount of content)
  • Apex Construct (simply a good, made-for-VR action/adventure game with a full story campaign)
  • The Solus Project (a large survival game with post-release, but very well-implemented, VR support)
  • The Talos Principle VR (great VR version of a great game)
  • VR The Diner Duo (the best asymmetric Vr/non-VR coop experience. Much more skill-based and with a steeper difficulty curve than you'd expect from looking at it)
  • Water Bears VR (just ~2.5 hours of room-scale puzzling, but very polished and priced well for what it is)

Reactions: Joe Spangle

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
The Thrill of the Fight is a cool boxing sim, better than Creed which is more popular and more gamey for obvious reasons (license IP) in my opinion.

Vouching for Apex Construct too, the mixed reviews had me ignore it initially but after playing it it's really well done and immersing, if not without flaws.

In Death is another cool archery focused game. It's a rogue-lite, it looks like a VR Dark Souls but you only have a bow (or crossbow). Initially it had teleport-only locomotion but it's now got pretty good free movement which you can combine with the teleport arrows and the teleport shard you quickly throw wherever and use almost like a dash-dodge. Very replayable and as you achieve progress you get access to more bonuses and new enemies are triggered for inclusion. I didn't like the first boss I encountered eventually for being all about dealing with crowds of enemies and spamming your best (explosive) arrows but yeah.

Ultrawings is a cool flight sim/pilot winds-esque experience.

Raw Data is one of the better wave shooters with a semblance of a story and progression, though not all of the 4 classes were to my liking.

First Person Tennis is a well done tennis simulator.

BOXVR is a nifty workout game that works kind of like Beat Saber except you punch rather than slice the directions.

Catch & Release is a pretty good fishing simulator, perhaps not quite a simulator as it's quite cartoony but yeah.

Contractors VR is a very polished PVP focused FPS that's constantly improved. Not as realistic as Onward, not as casual as Pavlov, somewhere inbetween.

The Wizards is a pretty cool spell casting action adventure, I've not finished it yet but am up to a boss now and I've liked it so far.

A few non-VR games that got VR support I currently have installed but haven't played much are House of the Dying Sun, BallisticNG and Everspace.

It's hard to know what you mean by hidden, for example Contractors might not qualify as it's been quite prominent at times.

But pretty much anything other than Beat Saber is a game with little visibility in comparison to big non VR games anyway.

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
So to sum things up, hovering grinder, guns, and co-op glory is the name of THIS game with our summer update, available NOW!
Sounds like a meaty update with a neat co-op mode :)

Random stream of peeps playing:

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
It's neat, I've played it, I think you need 360 degree VR which I didn't have at the time perhaps and/or it only has snap turn, I forget what annoyed me then.

I should try it again.