|OT| The PC Hardware Thread -- Buy/Upgrade/Ask/Answer

MonthOLDpickle

我會打敗你!!
Oct 31, 2018
Taiwan
curved monitor..
I was like you until I got to try one that:

Had 144
Had a functionality of multi-monitors do (requires more then one input from back), basically gets rid of the middle bezel. It was like using my current setup with two separate monitors minus the gsync.

Now I want one.

Reactions: dummmyy

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
I'm not sure if linking to my thread on ResetEra is considered poor taste and I should copy and paste this into a new thread here, but I spent a really long time on a writeup analyzing why I believe 10GB of VRAM on the 3080 is more than sufficient to last the next 1-2 GPU generations.

I think you make some great points that 10 GB should be enough under reasonable assumptions. But just as games keep blowing up their overall size, I see a lot of devs offer pointless "ULTRA MEGA EPIC" textures on PC that look the same as High, or whatever they used on consoles, and were just blown up by some pointless upscaler. That still causes VRAM consumption to go up, though, as you need to have those pointless 8K textures in the GPU's VRAM. With that in mind, inefficient ports, I doubt 10 GB will really last an entire generation, let alone two.

Mind you, perhaps I'm being needlessly pessimistic, and even I would only really worry about this at 4K. For 1440p, 10 GB is already overkill, I notice that with my 2080 Ti when playing on 1440. There are some games that do hit like 7GB, though, if you let them, which is at times a bit worrisome.

Dec 5, 2018
The thing is that at some point you will no longer be satisfied with the performance you get (it might be from the VRAM, the card not being fast enough, maybe some new tech that performs terribly in the card, etc).

Will the VRAM be the first bottleneck of the 3080? Maybe.

But maybe when the VRAM starts being a problem the rest of the card will also not offer the performance that one wants from it.

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
For 1440p, 10 GB is already overkill, I notice that with my 2080 Ti when playing on 1440. There are some games that do hit like 7GB, though, if you let them, which is at times a bit worrisome.
I lately started noticing games even hitting above 11GB, like Marvel Avenger's or HZD. At 1440p that is.
Quickly turning around and noticing a small stutter (not fps drop, real stutter) while VRAM is practically maxed out (here: 10700mb+) is often a sign of textures being swapped out and VRAM a bottleneck.
That said, those are the only two games where I've noticed this kind of behavior and that could very well be due to other engine problems as both games didn't launch in a great state.

I agree though: 10GB will be plenty for most games if you do not plan to cross the 1440p line, especially as reducing texture quality (or not installing "ultra" packs) is a viable solution

Which brings me back to the 3070 having 8GB.

dummmyy

Dumb fool
Nov 14, 2018
I'm beginning to worry i may have to upgrade my whole PC, as I can't find the information i need. I have:
Ryzen 7 1700
GSkill 16 gb RAM
MSI X370 Gaming Plus
(Currently) Rx 580 8gb
should I be fine when upgrading to a 30 series gpu? I just ordered a new PSU because I had some random power downs a couple days ago, but temps were fine. Preemptive thanks!

I was like you until I got to try one that:

Had 144
Had a functionality of multi-monitors do (requires more then one input from back), basically gets rid of the middle bezel. It was like using my current setup with two separate monitors minus the gsync.

Now I want one.

Thanks, Pickle! I haven't been able to try one out, but it would be cool to try. I wouldn't want to make that big of a purchase and have to worry about refunding if i didn't like it and all that. I also don't want to go looking for one in store anywhere due to the pandemic, it messes with my nerves! lol

Last edited:

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
I'm beginning to worry i may have to upgrade my whole PC, as I can't find the information i need. I have:
Ryzen 7 1700
GSkill 16 gb RAM
MSI X370 Gaming Plus
(Currently) Rx 580 8gb
should I be fine when upgrading to a 30 series gpu? I just ordered a new CPU because I had some random power downs a couple days ago, but temps were fine. Preemptive thanks!
If you have enough space in your PC case, enough slots to fit in, and enough power to power it, then you should be fine. GPUs are aside from power draw compatible with everything.

Reactions: Joe Spangle

dummmyy

Dumb fool
Nov 14, 2018
If you have enough space in your PC case, enough slots to fit in, and enough power to power it, then you should be fine. GPUs are aside from power draw compatible with everything.
Yeah, i think I have enough space / slots to fit in. That PSU I ordered is 850W, i forget which it was. So I'm guessing I should be fine. Thanks a ton, Mivey. I had some assurance when talking to my friend about it, but he suggested I ask on here.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Yeah, i think I have enough space / slots to fit in. That PSU I ordered is 850W, i forget which it was. So I'm guessing I should be fine. Thanks a ton, Mivey. I had some assurance when talking to my friend about it, but he suggested I ask on here.
You're good. an 850W power supply is complete overkill for any single GPU system.

Reactions: Pommes

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
Oh man im having a hard time trying to re-construct the stock cooler from my gpu. So many teeny tiny little screws and i forgot where they all go and i haven't found any useful guides. Im trying to watch 'remove your stock cooler' videos in reverse.

• Sad
Reactions: Parsnip

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
What are recommended CPUs for those like me who is playing at 1080p and is looking at a 3080? I won't buy anything until the next Ryzen series is out at least, but Im interested in knowing about the CPUs that's currently out.

warp_

タコベルが大好き
Apr 18, 2019
for 1080p and current ryzen gen i'd recommend a 3600/3700. 3080 is a lot of overkill for that res but certainly leaves plenty of headroom for when you upgrade monitors. plus if you get a 550/570 mobo you are set for 3000 and 4000 series cpus.

or just do what i did before and go with the cheapest option til the next generation is announced and sell your cpu to fund the next gen upgrade. there's the 3100 option on the low end for like $100 if you go that route.

orrrrr go with a 3900x and be futureproofed at 1080p res for another decade. 😆

Last edited:

warp_

タコベルが大好き
Apr 18, 2019
i'm not as up to date on intel but i believe their current top end is the 10900k? from what i've read, intel is currently beating amd in single core performance but falls behind in multi core.

i feel like at this point any top end current cpu will be a killer at 1080p for years and years to come so there's not really a bad choice. i'm running a 3900x at 1440p and its barely breaking a sweat with anything i'm playing.

Last edited:
OP
Durante

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
What are recommended CPUs for those like me who is playing at 1080p and is looking at a 3080? I won't buy anything until the next Ryzen series is out at least, but Im interested in knowing about the CPUs that's currently out.
How much do you want to spend? For high-refresh gaming (which I assume is what you are interested in with a 3080 @ 1080p) a 10900k is still the best, and a 10850 is basically the same thing for a slightly lower price.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
How much do you want to spend? For high-refresh gaming (which I assume is what you are interested in with a 3080 @ 1080p) a 10900k is still the best, and a 10850 is basically the same thing for a slightly lower price.
I haven't put any spending limit on any PC components right now, but checking the Norwegian prices for the 10900k and 3900k I should be able to afford them.

However the 3900k is abit over 100 dollars cheaper than the 10900k, but both are still affordable as the prices are right now.

But then again, Im not looking into building a PC until more games start struggling.

Last edited:

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
As it seems it's a very close question to what fantomena is asking, for 1440p/120+ hz, what would I need ? Talking about AAA hungry games obviously. Shit like Control, UBI games etc.

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
So for now it is a 3900x? What about Intel?
Depends on the FPS target

Unlocked FPS, with VRR on a fullHD display that is able to go beyond 144Hz? You'd still want Intel.
10600k can be enough, especially when overclocked (clock and cache) and paired with very fast memory (4200+).
10900k would be the high end solution, that I'd recommend for ultra fast FPS gaming without limits though. Especially on such a (potentially) fast GPU.

The downsides is:
You'd be stuck on PCI-E Gen 3.0 and exclude yourself from the beauty of those new 7GB/s NVMe speeds. But they aren't currently relevant. That might change with StoreMI and Nvidias support for it in the future, or it won't. PCIe 3.0 might also just be fine for that. I don't know.
But maybe something to keep in mind if you plan to stay on one CPU for very long.

3900x is nice and also capable of high refresh rates. Just not as good as Intel.
I think it's a bit more "future proof" because it already supports PCI Gen 4.0 and AM4 boards will be able to carry Ryzen 4000 desktop CPUs. Which opens up a nice, cheap upgrade path for the future.

Reactions: Li Kao and warp_

warp_

タコベルが大好き
Apr 18, 2019
As it seems it's a very close question to what fantomena is asking, for 1440p/120+ hz, what would I need ? Talking about AAA hungry games obviously. Shit like Control, UBI games etc.
i'm rocking a 3900x at 1440/120 right now and doing very well but the same advice applies. intel has the advantage in games because of single core performance but amd has the price advantage at the cost of some performance, though neither cpu is a slacker.

also ISee is correct with the am4 statement. you'll be able to move up to 4000 series if you get a modern am4 mobo which is real nice.

Reactions: Li Kao

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
Knowing your System Li Kao: You are already on a AM4 board. The cheapest solution is a Ryzen 3000 CPU for you. Wait till they fall in price when Ryzen 4000 releases and get a good deal on a 3700x.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Depends on the FPS target

Unlocked FPS, with VRR on a fullHD display that is able to go beyond 144Hz? You'd still want Intel.
10600k can be enough, especially when overclocked (clock and cache) and paired with very fast memory (4200+).
10900k would be the high end solution, that I'd recommend for ultra fast FPS gaming without limits though. Especially on such a (potentially) fast GPU.

The downsides is:
You'd be stuck on PCI-E Gen 3.0 and exclude yourself from the beauty of those new 7GB/s NVMe speeds. But they aren't currently relevant. That might change with StoreMI and Nvidias support for it in the future, or it won't. PCIe 3.0 might also just be fine for that. I don't know.
But maybe something to keep in mind if you plan to stay on one CPU for very long.

3900x is nice and also capable of high refresh rates. Just not as good as Intel.
I think it's a bit more "future proof" because it already supports PCI Gen 4.0 and AM4 boards will be able to carry Ryzen 4000 desktop CPUs. Which opens up a nice, cheap upgrade path for the future.
Thanks for the info.

I still don't see myself building a new PC until next year or at least until more games are struggling hitting an FPS above 60, but this is good to know info.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Knowing your System Li Kao: You are already on a AM4 board. The cheapest solution is a Ryzen 3000 CPU for you. Wait till they fall in price when Ryzen 4000 releases and get a good deal on a 3700x.
Uh, not bad. And on the GPU front ? 3070 minimum ?

warp_

タコベルが大好き
Apr 18, 2019
all this talk of upgrades and 30 series gpus and such really has me kicking myself. i built my current pc to play cyberpunk very well while still keeping a reasonable price and i wish i'd known it was gonna get delayed lol. wouldn't have spent the money on a 2070s and could have kept my old card and just bought a 3070/3080 instead.

i'm sure i'll still be just fine to run the game but its just one of those "if i knew then what i know now" situations.
Uh, not bad. And on the GPU front ? 3070 minimum ?
3070 price to performance is looking truly excellent. i wouldn't get anything lower.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
I don't know Li, I've not seen benchmarks and have no idea how taxing games in the year 2021 are going to be.
I was talking about the examples we have right now, like Control :tightly-closed-eyes:

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
I was talking about the examples we have right now, like Control :tightly-closed-eyes:
I'm sorry, I still don't know.

-Shading UnitsRT coresTensor CoresMemoryBandwidthTheoretical FP32 performance at 1900MHz
2080 Ti43526854411GB GDDR6616 GB/s16.5 tflops
30705888461848GB GDDR6448 GB/s22.4 tflops

On paper a 3070 should be 35% faster than a 2080Ti, at "classic" rasterization workloads that are mainly using floating point calculations.
Ampere RT and Tensor Cores cores are supposed to be twice as effective, but a 2080Ti has more of them (+200% Tensor cores, +50% RT cores)
and memory bandwidth is +35% faster. How relevant is all that?

NVIDIA "estimates" that a 3070 is slightly faster than a 2080Ti. I would assume a 3070 is singificantly faster at RT workloads though. But :shrugblob:: I don't know.

I need to see independent benchmarks and I'd prefer if reviewers wouldn't use 2080Ti FE cards. I want to see partner cards against similar partner cards.

• Love

warp_

タコベルが大好き
Apr 18, 2019
even just slightly faster than a 2080ti for $500 is pretty damn cool

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
I'm sorry, I still don't know.
It's me who is sorry, I wasn't asking for such in-depth reply :photoblobheart:
I was just wondering if for 1440/120 and a newish AMD CPU a RTX 3080 would be overkill, at first glance.

Reactions: ISee

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
It's me who is sorry, I wasn't asking for such in-depth reply :photoblobheart:
I was just wondering if for 1440/120 and a newish AMD CPU a RTX 3080 would be overkill, at first glance.
Don't be. I just don't know how to answer the question.
Personally, I don't think overkill exists :face-throwing-a-kiss:

Last year many people would have said that a 2070s is more than enough for 1440p.
Now people are saying that a 3070 (~2080Ti) is great for 1440p.

It's all relative.

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
Not sure if meta considers this hardware or not, but recommendations for chairs? the current one my wife and I use for our gaming pc ... well it's not great
I know nothing about office chairs other than I need a high back and good cushioning for my bony ass,though i have been told gaming chairs arent worth the money and knockoffs even less.

warp_

タコベルが大好き
Apr 18, 2019
Not sure if meta considers this hardware or not, but recommendations for chairs? the current one my wife and I use for our gaming pc ... well it's not great
I know nothing about office chairs other than I need a high back and good cushioning for my bony ass,though i have been told gaming chairs arent worth the money and knockoffs even less.
i got a secretlab last week (titan b/w cloth, they make different models for height/weight) and i'm really enjoying it. adjustable armrests, has a weight to it and feels like a solid build, plus adjustable lumbar support and a real nice head pillow. also a 5 year warranty so that's nice just in case.

drawback maybe for you is that it feels pretty firm but also has a lot of thick cushion if that makes sense. however because its a bit thick my back does feel a little hot at times, but not enough that i'm sweating more. supposedly the leather version gets hotter and is making people sweat so that's why i avoided it.

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
This is the office chair we have at work, in exaggerated quantities. Somebody must have bought a container full of them a couple years ago.

Amazon product
I like the chair so much that I borrowed two of them a couple years ago for home. First Time I'm actually looking up how much they cost.
I need to have a serious talk with myself about misappropriate, long loan periods.
It's also not like I stole them. I was very upfront to everybody about borrowing one for home office needs. Not my fault they weren't counting.

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
i got a secretlab last week (titan b/w cloth, they make different models for height/weight) and i'm really enjoying it. adjustable armrests, has a weight to it and feels like a solid build, plus adjustable lumbar support and a real nice head pillow. also a 5 year warranty so that's nice just in case.

drawback maybe for you is that it feels pretty firm but also has a lot of thick cushion if that makes sense. however because its a bit thick my back does feel a little hot at times, but not enough that i'm sweating more. supposedly the leather version gets hotter and is making people sweat so that's why i avoided it.
firm is fine, it just needs padding in the seat. It's like my butt is designed to find the fault in every seat cushion. As for the heat, don't mind it. Have had leather chairs before, so i know what to expect vs mesh. Will look into secretlab and see what that'll run me.

warp_

タコベルが大好き
Apr 18, 2019
i think the leather and cloth have the same form factor and there's plenty of good seat cushion in the cloth. cups my butt very well lol

Last edited:

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Back again after a 3 day self-imposed vacation by rebuilding my PC, kinda. I was not happy with the heat and noise from my stock AMD Wraith Prism RGB cooler so i'm now water-cooled, yay. Temps are still high-ish so i'll put together a decent post asking for advice later on. I'm just waiting for an ARGB converter cable as the one with my mobo is in storage, probably, or i've lost it. Once the new cable turns up i'll get the RGB on the fans sorted, cram the cables into the back of the case, close it up and never open it again.

Seriously, how do people neatly fit 60m of cables into their PCs? How? Mine is like trying to close a holiday suitcase! :negative-blob:

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
More partner cards have popped up over here, starting to get a some idea of the actual pricing on 3080s at least. Still only on just one store though for some reason so can't compare too much just yet.

Both my 970 and 1070 were MSI Gaming X cards, leaning heavily towards that one again, pending reviews of course.

Theswweet

Dirty Weeb
Mar 12, 2019
I think I'll either go with Gigabyte or the FE for 3080 this time around. I'm feeling really good about the FE's performance this time around!

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
I'm personally more interested in the Ryzen 4 presentation in a month, my puny i5 is becoming more and more of a bottleneck.
But those shiny new graphics cards are tempting indeed. I'm also curious if the next AMD cards will be competitive in any way.

Reactions: ISee

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
My RTX 2070 is giving me decent performance so i'm actually leaning towards waiting rather than entering the rat-race scrabble for cards at launch. Dunno though. Shiny new gfx cards are really tempting.
Same, only with the 2070 Super. At this point I'm more interested in grabbing a new TV rather than forever upgrading my PC.

I'll build a new system with the best parts available in 12-18 months.

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
I have replaced my faulty GPU (AMD Radeon HD 7770 with 1 GB VRAM) with a new GPU (Nvidia Geforce GTX 1050 Ti with 4 GB VRAM). It is so good to be part of the 60-fps club. I will finally be able to play some of the games which I own and could not play like Spyro. The GPU temperature is surprisingly low (35°C in-game) with CPU temperature (45°C in-game), so both lower than what I used to see (60°C-70°C).

I am also ready for Spelunky 2 in two weeks.

MegaApple

Just another Video Game Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2018
Thinking of getting USB keyboards like this, for work :

Logitech K120
HP 100 Wired Keyboard

I was wondering how good are they for playing. I've been playing on my gaming laptop keyboard for a VERY long time, that I don't know how how actual gaming keyboards are like.

Should I go for these, or is there some better option?

dummmyy

Dumb fool
Nov 14, 2018
Should I go for these, or is there some better option?
Let me preface by telling you the ultimate answer: it's all personal preference. Now, on the other hand (lol): honestly you can find something a bit better for around the same price. Both of those are good for office work, surely, but maybe not for gaming. Again, it depends on whether you like fast response, higher actuation, etc. It's difficult without being able to try out in person.