|OT| The PC Hardware Thread -- Buy/Upgrade/Ask/Answer

sk2k

Steam New Releases Warrior
Dec 8, 2018
Somewhere else
Argh! Too late. The i5 is on its way. Well, i'm sure it is a bit faster than my old i5 6500. :) The new motherboard is a B460M Pro.

didamangi

Who do you think you are? I am!
Nov 16, 2018
Jakarta, Indonesia
steamcommunity.com
Argh! Too late. The i5 is on its way. Well, i'm sure it is a bit faster than my old i5 6500. :) The new motherboard is a B460M Pro.
Ah, that's not a good combination overall because you're stuck with ddr4 2666mhz on that motherboard, whereas you can go up to ddr4 2933 with an i7 on that same motherboard. And you can't overclock the K cpu with anything but a z490 board.

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
I think my Inspire 5.1 speaker set is finally dying after ~20 years. Every now and then they go 'pop' and the audio starts sounding like it's on an old 1920s radio but i unplug some of the cables, plug 'em back in and they are fine again but that didn't work last night so i ended up using headphones. Going to try again at lunch but i think the power pack or Sub-woofer is on it's way out.

Any recommendations for a decent 2.1 set? I don't think i'll bother with 5.1 again as i haven't had the speakers setup surrounding me for years and years so i think 2.1 will be fine.

Last edited:

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
Looks like the amp in the sub or some other component has finally died on my 5.1 speaker set. RIP my old workhorse friend.
I'm not bothered about audiophile quality so i'm not looking to spend £12,000 on a boutique brand for example. Not too interested in Bluetooth as i already have Echo Studio or a Soundbar for that. Just decent Stereo Speakers with a Sub will do. My use is 70% gaming, 30% Music/Youtube/Movies etc.

Does anyone have any recommendations for good 2.1 speaker sets?

edit: Sorted and i'm a lucky, lucky dude. Colleague at work had a Logitech Z906 set that they wanted to sell so i now have a THX 5.1 System, lol! They got them years ago in a Black Friday deal and didn't use them for long before replacing them so they offered them for the BF Deal price. Nice. Now i'm up to my neck in cabling, i was going to make a tidy cable run but i'm lazy, tired and just want them done so it's all getting velcro'd up and stuffed behind the desk for the moment :D

Last edited:

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
Hello all. Can anyone recommend a quiet keyboard for my partner to use for work - so general typing. We are work from home at the mo and she has a really clicky clacky loud one and asked if you can get a quieter one. Ive searched a bit but if anyone can recommend one that would be great.

Pommes

Hey you! Have a nice day!
Jun 4, 2019
Hello all. Can anyone recommend a quiet keyboard for my partner to use for work - so general typing. We are work from home at the mo and she has a really clicky clacky loud one and asked if you can get a quieter one. Ive searched a bit but if anyone can recommend one that would be great.
Maybe the Cherry Stream? It is relatively cheap and quiet. I like the feeling of typing on it, but that is probably a very personal matter.

Reactions: Joe Spangle

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
Friend asked me to build a PC for him. I donated a few parts, used some of his old ones. Nothing special and a rather cheap build.
But while memory tweaking and GPU overclocking I noticed that I've broken the Time Spy World Record.

Yes, I'm temporarily in possession of the world's fastest 3400G PC.

Take that Buildzoid, Gamer Nexus, Jazy-0.000002-cents, Linus-Slow-Tips.
His System is now barely faster than an office laptop from 2020.
Another +33% and I'll be able to get in touch with a GTX 1050Ti.

:toucan:

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
Looks like an almost perfect system from the hardware perspective, given what's currently available and possible. I don't have enough of a use case for it to justify the price, but it seems like a really neat system.
Portable Atelier/Trails in the Sky games that don't run at 540p20?

OP
Durante

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Sure, what I mean is that I don't have much of a use case for portable games at all. Usually I have one for (business) traveling, but that's probably not a thing for at least most of this year, and even then I usually prefer reading when traveling.

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
I had planned to get some headphones during X-Mas but held off due to ummm...a little overspending during the Winter Seal :V

I am now planning on getting a new set of bluetooth headphones and have settled on the following ones, so if anyone could provide insight on which one is the best, at least in terms of microphone quality, I'd appreciate it (Right click to open the link in a new tab)

Riwbox XBT-80
Amazon product
Anker Soundcore Life Q10
Amazon product
LETSCOM Bluetooth Headphones
Amazon product
Mpow 059 Bluetooth Headphones
Amazon product
Zihnic Headphones
Amazon product
iJoy Matte Headphones
Amazon product
Yeah I'm going for a budget one. I'd say the most important thing is for the 'muffs' to be big enough to go around my ears.

Reactions: lashman

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Those of you using a Dualsense controller on PC - How long does it usually last over Bluetooth?
I think it's a bit better than the DS4 was, but not by much. I don't really put a clock on it, it lasts maybe 3 or four "longer" sessions, so maybe 5 to 6 hours total? It charges pretty quickly via the USB-C, with the DS4 it basically took all night to recharge it (well, many many hours anyway), but the DS4 is fully charged in less than 2.

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
I think it's a bit better than the DS4 was, but not by much. I don't really put a clock on it, it lasts maybe 3 or four "longer" sessions, so maybe 5 to 6 hours total? It charges pretty quickly via the USB-C, with the DS4 it basically took all night to recharge it (well, many many hours anyway), but the DS4 is fully charged in less than 2.
I think mine is a dud then. I get maybe about 3 hours i think. I've been playing Surviving Mars which is a builder game so not really that intensive. It also never seems to charge that quickly. I plug it in to the PC so maybe i should charge it with a plug socket instead?

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
I think mine is a dud then. I get maybe about 3 hours i think. I've been playing Surviving Mars which is a builder game so not really that intensive. It also never seems to charge that quickly. I plug it in to the PC so maybe i should charge it with a plug socket instead?
Hmm, I should add I turn off the LED lights. Maybe see if that gives you a big bump in usage time?
I think having a charger that can draw directly from a wall socket is better than from your PC. I usually charge my Dualsense when I get the "low battery" icon from Steam Big Picture, it could be that that's appearing fairly early, which would reduce the charge time but of course also reduce your effective usage time before you need to recharge it.

I have to say, though, most of this is just my subjective impression, I could be way off. I don't play with controller that often at the moment and it's hard for me to get a clear number on it.

Last edited:

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
From my DS4 usage, the big culprits in battery life is vibration first and leds second.
Try to disable both, I get regularly 8+ hours per charge with my DS4.

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
I think i've just not been charging it correctly/enough. Im used to just using it with the wire but recently have been trying bluetooth. I just read that it can take about 3 hours to charge and whilst it does the led pulses orange. Ive now plugged it into a power socket rather than the pc and its charging. Going to give it 3 hours charge and see what play time i get.

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
Finally pulled the trigger on my new motherboard. I had been holding off, but the free shipping sold me, and so did my wife giving me shit for wavering at the last minute, X570 Tomahawk is on the way to sit with the other parts.
Now I'm left with case, gpu and cpu :(... one day I'll finish this build

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
I think i've just not been charging it correctly/enough. Im used to just using it with the wire but recently have been trying bluetooth. I just read that it can take about 3 hours to charge and whilst it does the led pulses orange. Ive now plugged it into a power socket rather than the pc and its charging. Going to give it 3 hours charge and see what play time i get.
So, I actually had to charge mine today, and I made a point of noting the duration. It took at most 3 hours 45 minutes to fully recharge, meaning it it stopped showing the LED pulses.

That's longer than I anticpated, but usually I just connect it to the charger and just forget about it, so I guess that did bias my feeling of how long it takes.

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
Hey so I think i was just being a bit of an idiot and not charging my Dualsense correctly and so that was why it wasnt lasting very long. After Mivey 's advice i tried charging it with a proper plug rather than through the pc and its doing much better. I also didnt know that the orangey glow will go off once its charged and so now ive fully charged it and am enjoying lovely comfy couch wireless gameplay.

Reactions: EdwardTivrusky

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
I know my motherboard has a "special" USB port on the backplate that is supposed to supply enough power to charge devices. It might be a pain to use as it's on the back of the PC but it's worth checking your motherboard specs to see if it has the same feature. Just in case it comes in handy in future.

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
Looks like the bios I was waiting for is now out of beta for my mobo, gonna try that curve optimization thing at some point.

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
My cherry desktop keyboard + mouse combo is here. Not sure about the mouse feel, maybe a bit too small for my hand and I can't distinguish the thumb buttons from the frame too well. Might be a good mouse for different grips though.

Keyboard feels nice though and not too loud either. Less throw than my old cheap Logitech so it will take a little bit to get used to it. What's shame is that it seems the wireless Cherry Stream is only available in a combo with the mouse, not on its own. So I guess I'm not too upset that the mouse isn't to my liking, it's not like I even wanted it. :surrenderblob:

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
Updated to latest Nvidia drivers and got treated with a nice black screen. Moved the cursor around and windows eventually showed up but the black was present when doing anything not in a browser. Rebooted PC and everything seems fine, anyone else had this?

Rogue Agent

Takes too damn long to finish games
Apr 4, 2019
Updated to latest Nvidia drivers and got treated with a nice black screen. Moved the cursor around and windows eventually showed up but the black was present when doing anything not in a browser. Rebooted PC and everything seems fine, anyone else had this?
Not a black screen but my display went dim as if the brightness setting was the lowest. Changed the setting back to bright and after a while it went back to normal. Seemed to be some kind of display issue maybe? Weird.

BlueOdin

Dec 3, 2018
Am I correct in my assessment that my PSU is busted when the last message I saw on screen was „check power cable to GPU“, I checked every cable and found nothing wrong but now my PC won’t turn on?

Edit: I am not because my PC boots without the GPU

Last edited:

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
Can you try the GPU in another PC? If it works it might actually be the power cable from PSU to GPU which could be a pain to resolve.

BlueOdin

Dec 3, 2018
Can you try the GPU in another PC? If it works it might actually be the power cable from PSU to GPU which could be a pain to resolve.
I can try.

My Pc turns on now, but other than the same message about „please connect the correct PCIE cable for this GPU“ error message all of the sudden it just spins every fan and doesn’t turn off anymore. Will try on another PC. Or could also try my old 970 that I still have somewhere

Edit: My PC doesn't boot up with the 970 either. Same problem

Edit 2: I tried installing my 2070 Super in my mother's PC but there is not enough space or the right power connector

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: EdwardTivrusky
OP
Durante

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Nvidia is gimping the mining performance of RTX 3060:

A bit silly to gimp hardware like that, but less silly in the grand scheme of things than crypto mining, so overall I approve.

Reactions: Knurek

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019

A bit silly to gimp hardware like that, but less silly in the grand scheme of things than crypto mining, so overall I approve.
I admit, that's probably for the best, so long as mining - and power consumption - aren't taxed in the way they should be according to their environmental impact and GHG production.

That was a mouthful but in a nutshell, mining is profitable because most of the costs that should exist and are physically incurred aren't accounted for, yet I should hope.

Reactions: Durante

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018

Wouldn't gimping crypto on a hardware level gimp anythong GPGPU?
And wouldn't a driver-level be quickly overridden by haced drivers?

BlueOdin

Dec 3, 2018
Seems like my GPU is busted. Hope it can be replaced and it is still under warranty.

Anyway, my mother might need a "new" GPU. The PC is from 2012 and so far had my old 660 in it. Any card she could get that would work with a 450W PSU and a single 6 pin plug? Usage would be mainly desktop and the occasional Bejweled 3.

• Sad

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Wouldn't gimping crypto on a hardware level gimp anythong GPGPU?
No, this is a very specific workload and set of instructions if I understand correctly. They are just cutting the miners down at the knees, this seems to me to have improbably chances of being a GPGPU or Compute load you'd find in a game.

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
No, this is a very specific workload and set of instructions if I understand correctly. They are just cutting the miners down at the knees, this seems to me to have improbably chances of being a GPGPU or Compute load you'd find in a game.
It's a software (driver-level) solution, so watch it be cracked before the cards hit the market.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
It's a software (driver-level) solution, so watch it be cracked before the cards hit the market.
I'm not sure, software can be gnarly. I have no doubt it can be, but I'm not sure how fast and I don't know enough to even guess as to that one.

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
Oh looks like the Fractal Design Meshify 2 Compact case that I spotted November last year is now official. Little later than the availability was slated at the time.

Interestingly, as I was looking at the Meshify 2 from Fractal and its prices over here, I stumbled upon several Meshify 2 Compact (FD-C-MES2C-01 ) listings. I'm not seeing it on Fractal's site or any news sites as officially announced, so I guess it's time to put my insider hat on and break the news. Huge scoops.
Looks like availability on two sites is 27-28.1.2021.

Not a big stretch to guess that it's going to be exactly what it sounds like, like Define 7 Compact, but Meshify 2.

Which I could be interested in, except for the reduced cabling room behind the mobo.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
As a happy Meshify C owner, I am kinda jealous actually. There's a few good improvements there (removeable front mesh, easier installation of the radiator as two that stick out) and I wish this was available when I was building last year. Alas, everything's in my PC now and it isn't coming out for a while, so I'm not too salty.

The Meshify C/C2 are nice looking cases that make for good living room PCs.

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
I ended up getting Meshify 2 a while back, which is basically the same as this Compact one but has an option change the innards around for a "storage layout" and then it fits oodles of drives.
It's basically the main reason I got that one and didn't wait for the compact one. I can fit all my drives on the front and don't need to use the hdd tray that's next to the psu under the psu cover at all.
Without the tray it's comfortably roomy and I don't feel like I'm forcing the cables in too small of a space, that was my main issue with Mini C.
Plus of course all the other modern improvements that the case has, like the removable top for ease of building. I think I mentioned that a while back actually. Big hands. 👐