|OT| The PC Hardware Thread -- Buy/Upgrade/Ask/Answer

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
So I decided to go with the RTX 2070 Super. It arrived, so I opened my PC case and then I saw it.

A 600w PSU. Fuck.

I was sure I had a 650w, but evidently not. So I've had to order a new one (750w, just to be potentially ready for my next whole new build in 2-3 years) from Amazon, but it isn't arriving until Sunday. FML.

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
It serves me right for not checking beforehand. Could've just ordered a new one with the GPU, but now I'm stuck waiting until Sunday.

And since I've decided to do a fresh install of Windows 10 when I put the new GPU in, now I'll probably spend Sunday doing updates and downloading games, rather than leaving my PC on today while I went to work.

RIP indeed.

Reactions: teezzy and lashman

madjoki

👀 I see you
Sep 19, 2018
quality 600w should be enough for 2070 super (depending on other parts)

my first computer parts arrived (well got case much earlier but still)
also got myself mousepad after decade of not using (my new table doesn't work well without)

still need psu & cpu cooler.

also fuck companies packaging everything to huge boxes.

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
I grabbed a 750w PSU anyway, just to make sure I have a lot of headroom. Should be arriving today. I'd have preferred to have put another hard drive or SSD in, but that will have to wait a few months now.

Reactions: ISee and JMTHEFOX

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
quality 600w should be enough for 2070 super (depending on other parts)

my first computer parts arrived (well got case much earlier but still)
also got myself mousepad after decade of not using (my new table doesn't work well without)

still need psu & cpu cooler.

also fuck companies packaging everything to huge boxes.
Congrats!

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
Tomorrow finally will be getting my CPU cooler & PSU.
Perfect timing for the new 1.0.0.3ABBA Bios(es) that are supposed to arrive tomorrow and fix boost clocks (hopefully).
MSI already released their beta versions btw.

madjoki

👀 I see you
Sep 19, 2018
Well had time today to assemble for most parts. And it booted on first try :D

Windows install was so fast, less than 10minutes. And was able to activate with old win 8 key too.

Hopefully rest will go smooth too.

Still no ABBA from Asrock tho.

Also tomorrow for first time trying out memory overclocking.

Only annoyance so far is switching keyboard/mouse between computers cuz I don't have extras.

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
That case would be amazing if it didn't have a window. I like my PC exteriors sleek and simple. Come at me.

Seriously though, it's really nice from an aesthetic perspective.

Reactions: ISee

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
3x120 or 2x140
Cool. If I'm to build in this case, I'd go with something slim for the fans, like SilentWings 3. Looks like there's some space for a slim radiator on the top as well. Knowing Phanteks they probably will have a vertical mount for the GPU, which is nice.

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019

Yay or nay
Nay.

I like the design, but airflow isn't great on this one. I'd recommend the successor P400a RGB with a mesh front panel design.
(They are the same, but with different front panels)

To Quote Gamer Nexus

In the P400A RGB, average CPU temperature in the torture test was 48.2 degrees Celsius delta T over ambient
Putting the original P400 panel on revealed that, yes, mesh front panels do work: the CPU averaged 70.9 degrees Celsius over ambient, managing to maintain its frequency for most of the test but with a brief dip when the chip hit 100 degrees Celsius actual temperature. We’re not here to dunk on the original P400 again, just to point out that the P400A is a definite improvement, especially since we’re seeing some thermal throttling from the P400 panel.
23°C difference on the CPU and 14°C on the GPU is a lot between the p400 and p400a.

Last edited:

JMTHEFOX

Planning to Be a Game Designer
Oct 4, 2018
Brooklyn, NY
Finally plugged in the pre-installed case fan into the motherboard for my new main build and it worked. Next up is to get more case fans from deepcool or Phanteks.

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
I've modded my Asus DUAL OC card.

It's not bad per se, it's okay and I got it for ~400€ cheaper than the Strix at the time I wanted a new GPU.

The Heatsink on there isn't actually terrible, the fans though...

I was cleaning and dusting everything off last Saturday and while applying thermal pads to the backplate (something I was planning to do for months now) I thought to myself: You could actually remove the asus fans and the fan shroud and slap good fans on there.

I had two NF-F12 PWM laying around (from an old mini itx build) and slapped them on there. It of course doesn't look good, but my case does not even have a transparent side window. Instead it's noise tempered and there is a 140mm fan blowing fresh air directly on the GPU. In other words: I don't care about looks as long as airflow, temperatures and noise levels are fine. I understand if you do though. That's not a critique of other people, please don't get me wrong. PC gaming is about doing what you like, imo.

Previously my card was running at around 1930MHz and 71-73°C, which is fine and better or at least equal to FE cards.
Now it is running at around 2050MHz at 66-68°C (it took me some time to find a stable OC again). That's a sweet improvement if you ask me. I'm seriously considering to leave it that way.

My "very important" TimeSpy score exploded by the way.

Now back to memory tuning. Because why game on your system, when you can tune it so you can get 2fps more. Just in case you would actually play something.

Reactions: xinek and JMTHEFOX

rybrad

Apr 22, 2019
Starting to finally work on getting a parts list together for a new PC and could use some advice before I post a final list to get feedback on. I have used Intel/Nvidia for the last decade+ but it seems like it makes more sense to switch to AMD with how things are right now. I am using a 4770k/970 right now and I would like to build a PC that makes it another 5 years with the exception of a video card upgrade in a few years.

In regards to a CPU, I was thinking the 3700x but I read about high idle temp issues people have been having.

For the motherboard, I was looking at the X570 line because I didn't want to fuck with the bios update issues but I have read some complaints about the chipset fan being loud. I use my PC for work as much as gaming so having an annoying fan noise is a no go for me.

On the GPU I am deciding between a 5700xt and a 2070s. It seems like the price/performance ratio favors the 5700xt while also having some driver issues with hardware acceleration in browsers.

I am not 100% locked in to any of these choices so all feedback is very welcome!

Also, where are reliable places to look at reviews?

JMTHEFOX

Planning to Be a Game Designer
Oct 4, 2018
Brooklyn, NY
Starting to finally work on getting a parts list together for a new PC and could use some advice before I post a final list to get feedback on. I have used Intel/Nvidia for the last decade+ but it seems like it makes more sense to switch to AMD with how things are right now. I am using a 4770k/970 right now and I would like to build a PC that makes it another 5 years with the exception of a video card upgrade in a few years.

In regards to a CPU, I was thinking the 3700x but I read about high idle temp issues people have been having.

For the motherboard, I was looking at the X570 line because I didn't want to fuck with the bios update issues but I have read some complaints about the chipset fan being loud. I use my PC for work as much as gaming so having an annoying fan noise is a no go for me.

On the GPU I am deciding between a 5700xt and a 2070s. It seems like the price/performance ratio favors the 5700xt while also having some driver issues with hardware acceleration in browsers.

I am not 100% locked in to any of these choices so all feedback is very welcome!

Can't say for CPUs but for motherboards, some local shops can update the motherboard bios for ryzen 3000 compatibility. Also, I read somewhere on Reddit where some b450 motherboards have been sold with Ryzen 3000 ready stickers.

Regarding x570 motherboards, I own an ASROCK x570 phantom gaming 4 WiFi ax and it worked fine enough. Only problem was having the standoffs to match the motherboard.

As for GPUs, be warned that the 5700 XT can become very hot (104 degrees f). Go with a custom 2070 non super.

Buildzoid or Gamer Nexus for reviews.

Reactions: rybrad and ISee

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019

The high voltage and temperatures issues were dramatically overplayed, but understandable.
Most people are coming from "older" i-core series CPUs and Ryzen 3000 works completely different, more like a modern GPU than an Intel CPU. There were two things going on:

1. Ryzen is auto applying high voltages (up to 1.5v) to reach very high single core clocks for trivial tasks on some cores. This isn't dangerous, but the temperature (and voltage) for this one core rises for a brief moment and is sometimes being reported as the general CPU temperature/voltage.

2. Certain monitoring software was constantly waking the CPU cores up (so to speak). Constantly simulating some kind of trivial workload. This lead to false alarms about ryzen running hot and about high voltages. People were afraid and had their monitoring software running --> CPU cores were constantly forced to report back to the monitoring software --> constant high frequencies, voltages and temperatures --> people were afraid and had their monitoring software running.

Most monitoring software has been "fixed" now and the issue is gone.
If you want to run Ryzen, make sure to run windows 10 (1903) and do not forget to install the latest AMD chipset driver.

To give you an idea how "crazy" ryzen clock switching can look, watch this brief FC:New Dawn benchmark run

For the 2070s Vs 5700xt question: if price is similar or budget not the deciding factor. Take the 2070s for Ray Tracing. It may not be the most convincing implementation, but the 5700xt has no dedicated ray tracing hardware at all. 2070s is the more feature rich alternative. If price is a deciding factor, get the 5700XT.

Buildzoid or Gamer Nexus for reviews.
This!

Hardware Unboxed also did some interesting x570 temperature tests.

and take a look at this list (VRM estimate on all boards)

Last edited:
Reactions: rybrad and JMTHEFOX

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
I played around with per CCX overclocking on Ryzen Master.

1.375V

CCX0=4400MHz
CCX1=4425MHz
CCX2=4275MHz
CCX3=4250MHz

It is P95 stable so far (just 30 minutes test)

CB20: 7730
TimeSpy CPU:14460

arts&crafts

MetaMember
Oct 26, 2018
So I have a 970 and 6600K overclocked a bit. I want to upgrade my video card, probably to a 2070 Super if I can find a good deal in Canada but my CPU is pretty old, is there a point to me just updating my video card right now or will my CPU bottleneck me where I may as well just wait and upgrade my entire computer?

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
So I have a 970 and 6600K overclocked a bit. I want to upgrade my video card, probably to a 2070 Super if I can find a good deal in Canada but my CPU is pretty old, is there a point to me just updating my video card right now or will my CPU bottleneck me where I may as well just wait and upgrade my entire computer?
Mainly depends on your resolution, refresh rate and on the games you are playing.

If you aren't trying to exceed 60fps/Hz a 6600k + 2070s combination should allow you to go for 1080p,1440p (Ultra) and even 4k (on medium-high).
If you are trying to play above 60Hz your 6600k will be a problem and start bottlenecking.

That said, there will be some problems even at 60fps in games like AC:Odyssey, Anno 1800 or other examples that eat CPU power for breakfast.

I'd look at it that way: Right now your GPU is kind of the bottleneck for your system. With a 2070s your CPU will become one in certain scenarios. You'll get more performance though.
Still, a CPU upgrade should be considered at one point in the future.

Reactions: arts&crafts

arts&crafts

MetaMember
Oct 26, 2018
Mainly depends on your resolution, refresh rate and on the games you are playing.

If you aren't trying to exceed 60fps/Hz a 6600k + 2070s combination should allow you to go for 1080p,1440p (Ultra) and even 4k (on medium-high).
If you are trying to play above 60Hz your 6600k will be a problem and start bottlenecking.

That said, there will be some problems even at 60fps in games like AC:Odyssey, Anno 1800 or other examples that eat CPU power for breakfast.

I'd look at it that way: Right now your GPU is kind of the bottleneck for your system. With a 2070s your CPU will become one in certain scenarios. You'll get more performance though.
Still, a CPU upgrade should be considered at one point in the future.
Thanks! I currently play on my TV, 60fps/hz and although it is 4K, 1440p is fine for now, so it sounds like I could start with a GPU and upgrade my CPU in the coming months,

rybrad

Apr 22, 2019
Well I think I got a first pass of picking out parts done, if anyone has any feedback I would welcome hearing it: AMD Build

Main things I am not 100% on so far getting the Noctua cooler or Dark Rock 4. I work from home so noise is definitely something I take into consideration. I feel like the storage options I picked too might be overkill and potential areas for savings but those are the newer versions of what my current PC has that have treated me really well.. I guess I am not completely sold on the video card either. 2070 super was already more than I wanted to spend so tacking another $40 on top of that isn't ideal.

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
Well I think I got a first pass of picking out parts done, if anyone has any feedback I would welcome hearing it: AMD Build

Main things I am not 100% on so far getting the Noctua cooler or Dark Rock 4. I work from home so noise is definitely something I take into consideration. I feel like the storage options I picked too might be overkill and potential areas for savings but those are the newer versions of what my current PC has that have treated me really well.. I guess I am not completely sold on the video card either. 2070 super was already more than I wanted to spend so tacking another $40 on top of that isn't ideal.
The difference between the NH d15 and dark rock 4 is minimal. The dark rock pro 4 is ever so slightly more silent and the NH-D15 is ever so slightly cooler. The thing is: 3700x do not run hot in the first place. Both of them are a bit overkill for that CPU (in a good way) and should run cool and quiet. It really doesn't matter. Take the dark rock pro 4 to calm your inner self about noise. It also looks better.

I wouldn't take HDDs in 2019, unless you really need cheap mass storage. You can get a 1TB Crucial MX 500 for $100 this days and doing anything on those 4GB other than archiving stuff will feel like traveling back in time.
The same goes for the NVMe btw, unless you need very high transfer speeds for special cases you won't notice the difference between a NVMe and a standard SSD in boot times, windows operations or gaming.
Still, I get the appeal: I'd take a 500GB 970 Evo, 1TB Crucial MX500 to save some money on the initial build and get more storage down the road.
Christmas and Black Friday are coming.

The Trio X is a premium card, you could also go with a EVGA Black Gaming or a Windforce OC. They are both $50 cheaper, performance is practically the same and just to make a point: The Windforce is 36dba under load, the Darck Rock Pro 4 (which is quiet) is 39dba...
The MSI Trio X is an excellent card, maybe the best 2070s design out there. It only reaches 28dba and it is 3-4°C cooler than the competition. But there are cheaper alternatives out there, if you don't feel like spending $40-$50 more. Nothing wrong with doing so.

Reactions: xinek

rybrad

Apr 22, 2019
The difference between the NH d15 and dark rock 4 is minimal. The dark rock pro 4 is ever so slightly more silent and the NH-D15 is ever so slightly cooler. The thing is: 3700x do not run hot in the first place. Both of them are a bit overkill for that CPU (in a good way) and should run cool and quiet. It really doesn't matter. Take the dark rock pro 4 to calm your inner self about noise. It also looks better.

I wouldn't take HDDs in 2019, unless you really need cheap mass storage. You can get a 1TB Crucial MX 500 for $100 this days and doing anything on those 4GB other than archiving stuff will feel like traveling back in time.
The same goes for the NVMe btw, unless you need very high transfer speeds for special cases you won't notice the difference between a NVMe and a standard SSD in boot times, windows operations or gaming.
Still, I get the appeal: I'd take a 500GB 970 Evo, 1TB Crucial MX500 to save some money on the initial build and get more storage down the road.
Christmas and Black Friday are coming.

The Trio X is a premium card, you could also go with a EVGA Black Gaming or a Windforce OC. They are both $50 cheaper, performance is practically the same and just to make a point: The Windforce is 36dba under load, the Darck Rock Pro 4 (which is quiet) is 39dba...
The MSI Trio X is an excellent card, maybe the best 2070s design out there. It only reaches 28dba and it is 3-4°C cooler than the competition. But there are cheaper alternatives out there, if you don't feel like spending $40-$50 more. Nothing wrong with doing so.
Thanks friend, I really appreciate the feedback! I have been going back and forth on the CPU cooler so I think you are right and I should just get the Dark Rock. The storage choices are actually work related as our Dropbox folders have over 2TB of assets in them now. Point taken on the NVMe, I might just get another 1TB regular SSD to go with the one I will already be transferring to that PC and call it a day.

I'm thinking on the video card it might just be worth spending the extra money for the reasons you said. In regards to that, should I think about upgrading case fans? I currently have blower style cards and haven't used the multi-fan models before which I assume add more heat in the case itself. The case I picked doesn't have the best thermals as-is.

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
should I think about upgrading case fans?
Sorry, I didn't even look at your case.

Improving your case air flow is always a good idea and looking at the Define R6, I'd even recommend to get a completely different case.
It seems to be one of the worse cases out there (I didn't read any reviews though) and for $160 you can surely find something better.

Phanetks P400A RGB (with three front fans) seems to have quiet good performance and it is cheaper ($90 on Newegg, but with just one fan). But please read some reviews, especially on gamer nexus. I'm kind of out of the "Case Business" because I'm stubbornly sitting on an old noise tempered case, with excellent airflow that I'm not willing to let go.

Pommes

Hey you! Have a nice day!
Jun 4, 2019
I'm thinking on the video card it might just be worth spending the extra money for the reasons you said. In regards to that, should I think about upgrading case fans? I currently have blower style cards and haven't used the multi-fan models before which I assume add more heat in the case itself. The case I picked doesn't have the best thermals as-is.
I think the higher temperature of the Define R6 is mainly caused by the padding for noise reduction. One goal of the Define R series is to be pretty silent from the get-go (with the standard fans) and in my personal experience it delivers on that promise.
Concerning additional fans I would say: They are not needed (in the case of the Define R6).
As ISee said I would also advise you to read some reviews.

rybrad

Apr 22, 2019
I think the higher temperature of the Define R6 is mainly caused by the padding for noise reduction. One goal of the Define R series is to be pretty silent from the get-go (with the standard fans) and in my personal experience it delivers on that promise.
Concerning additional fans I would say: They are not needed (in the case of the Define R6).
As ISee said I would also advise you to read some reviews.
Appreciate the feedback from you and ISee. I have a Fractal Design case right now that I love which is why I was leaning that way again. I took a look at a few reviews initially and they all seemed relatively positive. One problem I have with most cases is that I just want a plain box that works well, no glass, no rgb, no "creative" designs. I know that probably makes me an outlier given how everything seems to be made that way now, but I prefer minimalist design with good functionality.

I'll see about looking at some more reviews and see what else is out there. I think the Meshify S2 is a thermal upgrade if I can stomach the design. One thing that kind of surprised me about GamersNexus case reviews is they are performed with cases as-is and based on the marketing. So if a case comes with no fans that is how they test it. I get why they do that but it would be a lot more useful if they tested with included case fans and then a standard set of other fans (when possible). They also base their reviews relative to how they are marketed so since the Define R6 is marketed as a quiet case they judge it more on noise compared to thermals, hence the overall positive review. Probably getting offtrack with my complaining but that's what happens when I only look at PC stuff once every few years!

teezzy

formerly 'deftones r cool'
Apr 19, 2019
okay ladies and germs...

my deal with my friend regarding his monitor is looking like a no-go at this point, and i'm tired of this 720p tv

i'm lookin for a 1440p, 144hz, 27 incher w/ g-sync which wont break my bank too badly... am i outta luck w/o resorting to some crappo brand?

teezzy

Apr 19, 2019
The Dell S2716DGR seems like a solid option for me, overall.

Anyone have any experience with Dell monitors?

I mean... I can't go wrong with Dell - right?

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
I wouldn't buy a G-Sync only display, like this Dell, in an age where FreeSync is just as good and supporting Nvidia, AMD and (probably) future Intel GPUs.
Why bind yourself to one manufacturer? You don't know how the GPU market will look like in 2-3 years, don't limit your future choices.

There are many choices for 1440p / 144-165Hz / FreeSync + Gsync compatible in the 500€ range (~the price of your dell)

• 530€: Asus TUF VG27AQ
  • 450€: Asus MG279Q (equivalent to the Gsync only, 750€ PG279Q)
  • 550€: Gigabyte Aorus AD27QD
  • 570€: LG 27GL850
  • 530€: MSI Optix MPG27CQ

No idea which one of them is the best. But I'd start researching those if I were looking for a new 1440p, variable high refresh rate, display

Btw, some of them are listed as HDR-10 and you'll stumble about Samsung GHG series, which is also listed as HDR-10.
It's BS, they aren't. PC Display HDR starts in the 2500€ range. You need HDR-1000 and as many dimming zones as possible (or other methods to turn of, diminish pixel brightness). None of them have that, no matter what the manufacturers claim.

Reactions: teezzy and JMTHEFOX

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Yeah, i have the Samsung C27HG70 and it's great but yeah, the "HDR" support seems to be a little bit massively useless. I've only enabled it on the Desktop once and yeah, no so i keep it off on the desktop but i think some games will enable it in-game regardless of the desktop setting.

Remember, buying a monitor is a game of compromises and remember that most reviews will be ultra nit-picky so unless you are sensitive to a particular "weakness" of a monitor then you probably won't notice most of the issues they mention. I say that because looking at lots of monitor reviews is a spiral of negativity. "This monitor is ideal but noooo the colour gamut is 0.003% off the baseline! It's shiiiiiit!"

Look at the connections, screen coating, stand and unless the reviews are overwhelmingly negative go for the one that fits your budget and situation. I would say to spend what you can afford on the monitor as it's the thing you interact with the most. Get an expensive one as cheaply as you can :)

Reactions: ISee and teezzy

teezzy

Apr 19, 2019
How easy is it to get free sync working with an nvidia card? I was just going gsync to avoid potential headaches.

Also am hoping to get something I can walk into my local microcenter and grab off the shelf

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
As far as i remember the last few nvidia drivers opened up support for VRR (Variable Refresh Rate) which is the spec that Freesync uses. GSync is a higher specced standard so supports VRR no problem.
I think you enable it on the monitor and the driver and you're sorted. I haven't used it so i can't say exactly.

Reactions: teezzy

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
It is as indeed as easy (and needs the same 2-3 steps) as activating G-Sync.

edit:
My neighbor bought himself a 4k, custom build gaming PC. Bought and assembled in a "PC store".
They made him buy a 9800X (8c/16t), a 2070s, 4x8GB DDR4 2400 and a "high end" 399€ 4k Display.

I neither like nor dislike him, so I just congratulated him on his overpriced purchase. He is very proud, so I don't want to discourage him.
But I would have purchased a 3800x, saved ~200€ on the CPU and ~100-150€ on the mainboard this way and gotten myself a 2080s, faster RAM, more storage etc.
The store exploited him like crazy imo.

Last edited:
Reactions: teezzy

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
With gsync coming to LG oled TVs I'm not sure those BFGD TVs are the best option.
We have to wait for reviews and impressions and there are pro and cons to oled HDR, especially over HDMI. But the lg offering is several thousand euros less expensive and doesn't need dimming zones because everything can be lit on a per pixel basis.

Reactions: Kvik

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
Okay, this isn't PC Hardware as such but i don't know where else to ask. I use bluetooth headphones at work but when i lock my workstation to go to the dev-lab Windows mutes/disconnects my headphones. Does anyone know where this setting is held and if i can override it?

The windows Store is disabled on my PC so i can't use the UWP RadioControl app but it's poisoning my search results so i can't find an alternative.
Any ideas?

Edit: I've ended up enabling Cortana "Hello" so that windows has to keep the audio device on so it can listen for me but i still get audio drop-out when i press ctrl-alt-del to unlock the screen again. Stupid Windows.

Last edited:

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
Actual Hardware Question!
My case is a Fractal Design Define R3 in Arctic White and it's amazing but a bit small and cramped for my new rig so i'm thinking of upgrading to a modern case with better internal compartments.

I need to check dimensions but i've been considering a newer Fractal Design case in White but no idea what is good now, a Thermaltake H200 Snow, be quiet PureBase 500 or a NZXT 500i White.

Anyone have any suggestions for a new case that's not stupid large but can fit an RTX 2070 and Ryzen 2700X with Dark 4 Cooler and isn't ridiculously expensive? Thanks.

rybrad

Apr 22, 2019
Actual Hardware Question!
My case is a Fractal Design Define R3 in Arctic White and it's amazing but a bit small and cramped for my new rig so i'm thinking of upgrading to a modern case with better internal compartments.

I need to check dimensions but i've been considering a newer Fractal Design case in White but no idea what is good now, a Thermaltake H200 Snow, be quiet PureBase 500 or a NZXT 500i White.

Anyone have any suggestions for a new case that's not stupid large but can fit an RTX 2070 and Ryzen 2700X with Dark 4 Cooler and isn't ridiculously expensive? Thanks.
The Define R6 and S2 Meshify get pretty decent reviews. I prefer Fractal cases myself so I got an R6, but if you care more about thermals then I would take a look at the S2 Meshify. That being said, those are both more expensive than your other listed options so that probably qualifies as ridiculously expensive given the price gap.

Reactions: EdwardTivrusky

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
With gsync coming to LG oled TVs I'm not sure those BFGD TVs are the best option.
We have to wait for reviews and impressions and there are pro and cons to oled HDR, especially over HDMI. But the lg offering is several thousand euros less expensive and doesn't need dimming zones because everything can be lit on a per pixel basis.
Sure, it makes sense. This BFGD is rather attractive to me since it can achieve more peak brightness compared with OLED panels. Still, I massively prefer OLED because of its virtually non-existent response times (<1ms) and as you said, per pixel illumination. Sadly, to make use of Gsync in the LG OLED panels would mean upgrading my GPUs as well, so it will be at least another year at the very least before I can considering upgrading my whole setup. :02shrug: