|OT| This is the Anime Thread, Darling~~

OP
Hektor

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
things, in true chaotic MC fashion :mishy:
Or we could also just do it in here ¯\(ツ)
The last question would be, top 5 or top 10?

Thougts?
Personally i don't think i've even watched 10 animes that aired this year unless we also include movies. :H02blush:

If we're gonna make a ranking i think we woul have to do it right away imho, or the 'thrill' is gone because the lists will already make it obvious.
Tho the sample size we have in here just isn't that big to begin with

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
That's a little bit my issue as well. I don't know if it's the anime industry overworking itself into sameness but there were precious little anime I enjoyed. Demon Slayer, Vinland Saga, that's about it.

Speaking of which, any movies produced in the last 5 years you think people should know about? :)

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
That's a little bit my issue as well. I don't know if it's the anime industry overworking itself into sameness but there were precious little anime I enjoyed. Demon Slayer, Vinland Saga, that's about it.

Speaking of which, any movies produced in the last 5 years you think people should know about? :)
Personally i don't think i've even watched 10 animes that aired this year unless we also include movies. :H02blush:

If we're gonna make a ranking i think we woul have to do it right away imho, or the 'thrill' is gone because the lists will already make it obvious.
Tho the sample size we have in here just isn't that big to begin with
Haha yeah, I think I've only watched about 5 shows I would put on a list as well, so I guess top 5 would make the most sense.
I don't really care about a ranking too much, but I'm more interested in the lists themselves, so that everyone get some recommendations for good shows that were overlooked.
As you say I suspect the sample size would be way too low for a meaningful result anyway, which is why I think just focusing on the individual recommendations would be best for now and depending on the turnout we can just calculate the result for fun afterwards if it turns out there is enough participation.
I definitely wouldn't wanna make it something where we send our lists hidden via PM or some form and just have a thread posting the results, because I always treat those yearly rankings as a good way to get recommendations :p

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
On the other hand I'm super lazy, so I'll just give you my list for now instead of overthinking things~

1. Mob Psycho 100 S2
  2. Demon Slayer
  3. Symphogear XV
  4. Granbelm
  5. Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Golden Wind

Reactions: Swenhir

Rosenkrantz

Once Punched Man
Apr 22, 2019
So um, I counted how much anime I watched last year and it's an unimaginable number of 2 (Mob Psycho 2 and Kimetsu no Yaiba). Any recommendations on what I missed folks? Preferably something I can finish in 4 days I have left.

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
I just watched 2nd Thunderbolt Fantasy movie (Bewitching Meldoy in the West) and holy shit that was amazing.
The singing, the action, the backstories... :sweaty-blob: :sweaty-blob: :sweaty-blob:
Can't wait for season 3!

Swenhir I'm not really much of a movie-watcher when it comes to anime, so I can't really recommend much there (it turns out all the anime movies I watched in the last few years are basically part of a franchise anyway, lol), but as it might be obvious from what I wrote above, I heavily recommend Thunderbolt Fantasy :p
Watching order is this:

Thunderbolt Fantasy (13 episodes)
The Sword of Life and Death (Movie)
Thunderbolt Fantasy S2: Sword Seekers (13 episodes)
Bewitching Melody in the West

Season 3 has already been announced.

It's a glove puppet wuxia written by Gen Urobuchi (Madoka, Psycho Pass, Fate/Zero,...) and music by Sawano (Attack on Titan, Xenoblade Chronicles X,...)
AND IT RULES

So um, I counted how much anime I watched last year and it's an unimaginable number of 2 (Mob Psycho 2 and Kimetsu no Yaiba). Any recommendations on what I missed folks? Preferably something I can finish in 4 days I have left.
Hm. Granbelm is pretty short and was a really good hot-blooded magical girl mecha show.
I haven't yet finished watching it, but Kaguya-sama was generally highly regarded (romance comedy)

Reactions: Rosenkrantz

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
I just watched 2nd Thunderbolt Fantasy movie (Bewitching Meldoy in the West) and holy shit that was amazing.
The singing, the action, the backstories... :sweaty-blob: :sweaty-blob: :sweaty-blob:
Can't wait for season 3!

Swenhir I'm not really much of a movie-watcher when it comes to anime, so I can't really recommend much there (it turns out all the anime movies I watched in the last few years are basically part of a franchise anyway, lol), but as it might be obvious from what I wrote above, I heavily recommend Thunderbolt Fantasy :p
Watching order is this:

Thunderbolt Fantasy (13 episodes)
The Sword of Life and Death (Movie)
Thunderbolt Fantasy S2: Sword Seekers (13 episodes)
Bewitching Melody in the West

Season 3 has already been announced.

It's a glove puppet wuxia written by Gen Urobuchi (Madoka, Psycho Pass, Fate/Zero,...) and music by Sawano (Attack on Titan, Xenoblade Chronicles X,...)
AND IT RULES

Hm. Granbelm is pretty short and was a really good hot-blooded magical girl mecha show.
I haven't yet finished watching it, but Kaguya-sama was generally highly regarded (romance comedy)
That's alright, thank you! Thunderbolt Fantasy isn't my thing, I just can't get into the dolls-puppet-thing I'm afraid. After a long search on anidb, I think I have a general of idea of what I missed movie-wise.

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
Infinite Dendrogram had a very good first episode.

No opening in the episode itself, but the full song is already out:

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
Just watched BOFURI: I Don't Want to Get Hurt, so I'll Max Out My Defense and it was great

The title is the premise :p
Lots of fun.

Reactions: ezodagrom

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
The Dorohedoro opening is great.
Shame it's going to be stuck in Netflix prison

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
In/Spectre had a very strong first episode as well.
It has a dancing ending, that's always a seal of quality.

This season is packed.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Is this the start of a new anime season ? Any link where I can see what’s new ?

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
Kanata no Astra is such an underrated anime.

Is this the start of a new anime season ? Any link where I can see what’s new ?
Here you go.

Reactions: Li Kao

「Echo」

鈴鹿御前。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
Is it just me and ZKenir watching FGO Babylonia?

Even if you're not familiar with the IP, I thought the crazy production value would draw people in.

Next episode should be insane. Quetz Vs. Enkidu, Axe of Marduk Vs. Blood fort.

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018

Even if you're not familiar with the IP, I thought the crazy production value would draw people in.

I'm (as always) waiting for the series to be complete. Weekly watching is not for me.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019

Production values and half-naked girls seems to be all this has to offer and I'm kind of over that.

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
Boo. It's routinely touted as the best story chapter in FGO, but I guess if you're not interested in the IP none of the background stuff would matter.
I'm a bit wary of watching it since it's some story arc in the middle. Is it self-contained? (I know the general gist of Grand Order's premise, watched the OVA + played a little of the game)

Reactions: 「Echo」

「Echo」

鈴鹿御前。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
I'm a bit wary of watching it since it's some story arc in the middle. Is it self-contained? (I know the general gist of Grand Order's premise, watched the OVA + played a little of the game)
It's like 95% self-contained yeah. I'd say if you saw the OVA and understand the basic premise of FGO, you're good to go!

Just know the stakes are really high, cuz it's like the 7th of 8 Singularities. Babylonia is basically the penultimate chapter leading up to the final boss.

Reactions: Ascheroth

ZKenir

❀ Child of Raikou ❀
May 10, 2019
(I know the general gist of Grand Order's premise, watched the OVA + played a little of the game)
if you know what grand order is about then it's fine to watch, most of the confusion among anime-only watchers stems from them not knowing the overall story of FGO and babylonia being basically the penultimate chapter in FGO part 1 story

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Boo. It's routinely touted as the best story chapter in FGO, but I guess if you're not interested in the IP none of the background stuff would matter.
If there's a story, I'm absolutely interested! It just seems to me that it's about fights with little plot involved. For reference, I adored Fate Zero and Kara no Kyoukai. I just don't get the impression that the plot is on that level. Am I wrong?

「Echo」

鈴鹿御前。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
If there's a story, I'm absolutely interested! It just seems to me that it's about fights with little plot involved. For reference, I adored Fate Zero and Kara no Kyoukai. I just don't get the impression that the plot is on that level. Am I wrong?
There is no universe where my opinion isn't biased as hell. I beat Babylonia in FGO just a couple months ago myself. It's amazing and the anime has been doing it some real justice.

From my standpoint your 600% wrong lol. I dunno, give it a try from Ep.0 - Ep.8ish or so and see if it clicks.

Reactions: Kvik

Kuroyume

Spokes for the Wheel of Torment
Oct 21, 2018
I'm currently watching the following:

(Old)

Cowboy Bebop
- I got up to episode 14 in late 2018. And, for whatever reason I stopped watching. I felt I needed to get back to this as I thought it was great. I began with it again last month from episode 1. I'm currently up to episode 10. So, I get to re-watch that Alien spoof again. :p Excellent stuff. It's impressive how good this show still looks over 20 years later. And, that's mainly because it's a 26 episode show and not some high budget movie from the '90s.

Death Note - I always ignored it because visually and conceptually it didn't seem like something I'd like. However, I received my sister's Netflix login so I was like... Oh what the hell? Anyway, it's really good. Started around September. Currently up to episode 19. And I'm also reading the manga so I'm also very close to where I'm in the anime there. I'm surprised by how much I like it. A lot of highs. The series is fantastical so it's silly to have this feeling, but it's wild how much you have to suspend your disbelief experiencing this. The villian is a high school super genius with almost godlike forensic and logical deductive reasoning skills, and who is also both incredibly attractive (and thus sought after by girls), has high social skills, and is highly athletic? I guess if I can appreciate Batman so easily I shouldn't be annoyed by this, but it does stick out to me at times. :p

(New)

Blade of the Immortal (2019)
- Never read the manga. Have never seen the other adaptations. Up to episode 15 since it debuted in October. I'm loving it. First 2-3 episode were kinda unimpressive, but I'm glad I stuck with it because it's been fantastic for a while now. I've heard some fans complain about how rapidly the show is speeding through the story by omitting a lot of chapters. I guess if I had started with the manga I would be more critical of it, but as someone experiencing this story for the first time I'm hooked. It's kind of crazy how twisted this show gets.

Dorohedoro - Loved it. It aired its first episode last week so I can't say much about the show as a whole, but I felt that first episode perfectly captured the spirit and tone of the series. I had finished the manga the day after the show debuted. Top 10 if not top 5 manga. So, yeah I really love Dorohedoro, and I can't wait to watch more of this adaption. Yeah, it has CG but it's not ugly. It's a shame how superficial a lot of anime fans can be. Why not appreciate the great story being animated instead of obsessing over visuals?

Reactions: Ascheroth

skLaFarebear

MetaMember
Dec 4, 2019
I've taken a bit of a break from anime in the past year outside of rewatching Sword Art with friends and watching some Gintama in my own time, but I've finally started watching Yu Yu Hakusho for the first time. Good show so far, dub is a bit cheesy but also very fun and feels like it's capturing the spirit of the characters really well. Definitely gives me some old Toonami styled vibes.

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
I've been meaning to watch it after it finished airing, so I finally got around to watching ep 1 of Fire Force
Hot damn that was a bombastic opening episode.
DavidPro was firing on all cylinders there :sweaty-blob: :sweaty-blob:

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Was DavidPro created by Davido-kun ? :thinking-blob:

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
Was DavidPro created by Davido-kun ? :thinking-blob:
Wikipedia says:
The company was founded by former Gonzo president and producer Kōji Kajita and fellow producer Taito Okiura in September 2007 upon having left Gonzo.

The company's name derives from the Biblical story of David and Goliath, a story chosen to represent "[the creation of] good animation with great storytelling and characters" despite being smaller than other well-known studios. The name is also an acronym for "Design Audio & Visual Illusion Dynamics" which signifies the studio's impactful animations.
:p

Reactions: Li Kao

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Hey I watched some anime ! I watched some anime !

I saw Eizouken 1-3, which has charming, funny, and instructive moments. Can’t say I’m hooked unfortunately.
In/Spectre 1-2. First ep was good overall but the second one felt lacking, which was not helped by its ending.
Then I was in the mood for mystery, so I watched Lost Village 1-2 and that my friends, that...
what the fuck was this shit ?

One unfortunate fact I got out of this session, Crunchyroll doesn’t give a shit about subtitles timing. Some things, particularly LV, were barely readable.

Khilandros

Jan 23, 2020
Canada
Oh boy, me and anime. I watch pretty much everything every season.
I gave up on most regular TV shows a long time ago (very few shows that I do watch) and instead watch 3 - 5 eps of different anime a day.
So far seems like a decent season and glad to see Madoka, Railgun, BanG Dream, and Haikyuu are back.

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
I've started watching these series, seems pretty fun.

Basically harem/slapstick comedy with kemonomimi girls. A whole lot of tsukkomis, which I love.

I've always had a soft-spot for Doga Kobo's yuri anime and this one is no exception.

Something I affectionately called "Horny Reviewers". To be handsomely paid for reviewing the services of a Red Light District would be a dream job for some people.
Then I was in the mood for mystery, so I watched Lost Village 1-2 and that my friends, that...
what the fuck was this shit ?
Oh dear, I hope you're ready for some Mari Okada fukkery. :dana_blanket:

「Echo」

鈴鹿御前。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
Hektor

This was an AMV that was immensely popular in my childhood, even in Japan. I remembered it looking through my OLD OLD OLD bookmarks (which miraculously I've managed to transfer from computer to computer since I was a wee lad thanks to always sticking with Firefox). It was a huge wave of nostalgia and warm feelings. This isn't the original from 2004, but a remastered version someone did on the EvaGeeks forum. I thought that was pretty cool act of preservation of something totally random, but it turns out the popularity of this AMV stuck with more people than just me.

Now that I connected with it again after all these years I wanted to share it with you guys. :thumbsupblob:
==============

Also what's Lost Village? Sounds interesting? :3

Reactions: texhnolyze
OP
Hektor

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
Hektor

This was an AMV that was immensely popular in my childhood, even in Japan. I remembered it looking through my OLD OLD OLD bookmarks (which miraculously I've managed to transfer from computer to computer since I was a wee lad thanks to always sticking with Firefox). It was a huge wave of nostalgia and warm feelings. This isn't the original from 2004, but a remastered version someone did on the EvaGeeks forum. I thought that was pretty cool act of preservation of something totally random, but it turns out the popularity of this AMV stuck with more people than just me.

Now that I connected with it again after all these years I wanted to share it with you guys. :thumbsupblob:
==============

Weirdly, i've never seen it before.
But on the subject of Evangelion AMV's. this will remain an all time classic

「Echo」

鈴鹿御前。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
Weirdly, i've never seen it before.
But on the subject of Evangelion AMV's. this will remain an all time classic

Oh heck yes, I've seen this one as well. Mhm, now I wanna re-watch all of Eva again lol. I actually own the Remaster Blu-rays too, but I never researched how they compare to Director's Cut DVD's.

There are only two anime where I splurged for the LE Blu-ray box sets. That's Eva and Fate/Zero. \o/

ShadowAUS

Swooping Is Bad
Feb 21, 2019
Rural NSW
Hektor

==============

Wow, that's a blast from the past lol, haven't seen it in forever. This is now an AMV thread, here's one of my favorites from my childhood.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Oh dear, I hope you're ready for some Mari Okada fukkery. :dana_blanket:
I, uh, watched two episodes in a row because they generally end on an artificial cliffhanger, but I'm really not sure I will continue.
Like I said, it's subbed with no care in the world, and this is basically a compilation of edgy anime tropes. There is even a fucking gun nut that always carry a sub-machine gun and talk in Nyanese.
I mean, I'm not a fan of me, but I don't have self-harm desires.

The only good thing I can think of is that yeah, this village with this music, creepy.

ShadowAUS

Swooping Is Bad
Feb 21, 2019
Rural NSW
I, uh, watched two episodes in a row because they generally end on an artificial cliffhanger, but I'm really not sure I will continue.
Like I said, it's subbed with no care in the world, and this is basically a compilation of edgy anime tropes. There is even a fucking gun nut that always carry a sub-machine gun and talk in Nyanese.
I mean, I'm not a fan of me, but I don't have self-harm desires.

The only good thing I can think of is that yeah, this village with this music, creepy.
Mayoiga is peak Mari Okada. It's err.... interesting.

OP
Hektor

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
While we were already on the topic of AMV's ima post some more because i unironically enjoy them

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
I got reminded that Precure is great so I picked up Hugtto Precure again from where I left off (about halfway through it) and it continues to be really good.

「Echo」

鈴鹿御前。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
Anyone watching SAO Alicization? How does it compare to GGO-Arc? GGO was pretty much the only SAO I liked after the original 14-Episodes which made up Aincrad-Arc.

I really hated the ALO crap on the other hand, so if it's more of that.... bleh.