|OT| This is the Anime Thread, Darling~~

AHA-Lambda

MetaMember
Oct 9, 2018

M&A completed

“Crunchyroll adds tremendous value to Sony’s existing anime businesses, including Funimation and our terrific partners at Aniplex and Sony Music Entertainment Japan,” said Tony Vinciquerra, Chairman and CEO of Sony Pictures Entertainment Inc. “With Crunchyroll and Funimation, we are committed to creating the ultimate anime experience for fans and presenting a unique opportunity for our key partners, publishers, and the immensely talented creators to continue to deliver their masterful content to audiences around the world. With the addition of Crunchyroll, we have an unprecedented opportunity to serve anime fans like never before and deliver the anime experience across any platform they choose, from theatrical, events, home entertainment, games, streaming, linear TV -- everywhere and every way fans want to experience their anime. Our goal is to create a unified anime subscription experience as soon as possible.”

Minsc

Aug 7, 2021

Just finished Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit and wow, it was a real surprise. I wasn't sure about it from the initial looks and description, but damn if it wasn't nearly everything I love in a story wrapped up in a wonderfully told story within a believable world that sits right up there with the best of them.

It's not your typical modern dark, twisted or meme-filled humor anime - well it's not really modern at all being from 2007. I think the journey told is very nicely done in a short 26 episodes, it manages to pull of a sense of something very grand and larger than you'd expect. This is probably a better write-up than I could ever give, granted it's full of spoilers though you can skim it safely enough, but if you haven't watched this one yet and like fantasy/fairytale-like stories that don't resort to all the cheap fan service in a lot of anime, it's just a really great show like Avatar or Lord of the Rings in some ways I suppose.

Definitely bump it up on your lists if you haven't seen it! I'd rate it pretty close to 5/5. It's also perfectly suitable for children much like Avatar, watched it with my daughter who loved it as well.

• Comfy
  • Hug
Reactions: Swenhir and Kvik

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019

Just finished Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit and wow, it was a real surprise. I wasn't sure about it from the initial looks and description, but damn if it wasn't nearly everything I love in a story wrapped up in a wonderfully told story within a believable world that sits right up there with the best of them.

It's not your typical modern dark, twisted or meme-filled humor anime - well it's not really modern at all being from 2007. I think the journey told is very nicely done in a short 26 episodes, it manages to pull of a sense of something very grand and larger than you'd expect. This is probably a better write-up than I could ever give, granted it's full of spoilers though you can skim it safely enough, but if you haven't watched this one yet and like fantasy/fairytale-like stories that don't resort to all the cheap fan service in a lot of anime, it's just a really great show like Avatar or Lord of the Rings in some ways I suppose.

Definitely bump it up on your lists if you haven't seen it! I'd rate it pretty close to 5/5. It's also perfectly suitable for children much like Avatar, watched it with my daughter who loved it as well.
Seirei no Moribito is one of my all-time favorite shows, ever. Such a complicated and complex web of interpersonal relationship, not to mention a really amazing main character. I loved everything about it, not to mention the splendid fighting scenes that truly hammer home the meaning behind the violence.

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018

Make sure to watch the sequel(-ish) as well.
(Kemono no Souja Erin)

OP
Hektor

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
So ive read that THE (REAL) END OF EVANGELION is releasing midnight in each region?
Took a day off tomorrow so i can watch it tonight

:h02totallynotmoaning:

• Comfy
  • Gib
Reactions: Swenhir and prudis

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
its for the new blu-ray collection of the TV series / EoE which will be up for pre-order in 1 week's time.

A cursory search in cdjapan reveals that the reprinted blu-ray standard edition is about 18K JPY (~$230 AUD) so if this collection is in the same ballpark or less I'll be happy, although it's very likely I'll be paying 25 quid for shipping again. :flare_pout:

TioChuck

More Yellow 🤷‍♂️
Dec 31, 2018
I just watched the last Evangelion movie on prime video, feels like a 20+ years ride just ended and I'm completely satisfied.

Reactions: Swenhir

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
I just watched the last Evangelion movie on prime video, feels like a 20+ years ride just ended and I'm completely satisfied.
Exactly my feelings. I also love how much more polished than both ep 25/26 and TEOE it feels, especially in the last third that's filled to the brim with throwbacks. This feels like Anno's true, proper ending, complete with german singing and pencil drawings. Authorial intent confirmed! I mean you even have a retake of TEOE's last goddamn shot. I was quietly cheering throughout the end. What closure!

I also completely adore that finally, finally we're getting Gendo's perspective. And finally we're seeing him loose his shit as Misato one-ups him. If that's not second-hand catharsis, I don't know what is. I also loved the fourth wall-break of the models on a mocap stage with mocap virtual cameras. This final part is pretty much Anno talking to the audience in my opinion, about stopping Evangelion. In a way, it almost feels like a therapy exercise in him letting go of the series. It's weird as fuck and I loved it. I'm not sure that it makes for a good movie, but it did make for a good experience as someone who loved the series.

Not gonna lie, I was lukewarm on the movie at the start, but from halway in it gets really good and never stops until the end. If I have one regret it is that they resolved the whole "we hate you" timeskip-induced attitude of movie 3 in a way that made their previous attitude feel really damn unnecessary. Still, it was heartwarming.

I also feel that Nagisa's segment was much more revealing of the Angel's actual psyche and intents than it lets on. May need to watch again. Also, Adult shinji is a 10/10 design choice for me.

Of course, mental health-wise I don't agree with pretty much the whole of it but that's pretty much common sense I think.
Eva/10 for me. He did it right.

• Love
Reactions: TioChuck
OP
Hektor

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
Exactly my feelings. I also love how much more polished than both ep 25/26 and TEOE it feels, especially in the last third that's filled to the brim with throwbacks. This feels like Anno's true, proper ending, complete with german singing and pencil drawings. Authorial intent confirmed! I mean you even have a retake of TEOE's last goddamn shot. I was quietly cheering throughout the end. What closure!

I also completely adore that finally, finally we're getting Gendo's perspective. And finally we're seeing him loose his shit as Misato one-ups him. If that's not second-hand catharsis, I don't know what is. I also loved the fourth wall-break of the models on a mocap stage with mocap virtual cameras. This final part is pretty much Anno talking to the audience in my opinion, about stopping Evangelion. In a way, it almost feels like a therapy exercise in him letting go of the series. It's weird as fuck and I loved it. I'm not sure that it makes for a good movie, but it did make for a good experience as someone who loved the series.

Not gonna lie, I was lukewarm on the movie at the start, but from halway in it gets really good and never stops until the end. If I have one regret it is that they resolved the whole "we hate you" timeskip-induced attitude of movie 3 in a way that made their previous attitude feel really damn unnecessary. Still, it was heartwarming.

I also feel that Nagisa's segment was much more revealing of the Angel's actual psyche and intents than it lets on. May need to watch again. Also, Adult shinji is a 10/10 design choice for me.

Of course, mental health-wise I don't agree with pretty much the whole of it but that's pretty much common sense I think.
Eva/10 for me. He did it right.
The movie ending with Shinji fighting gendo and then talking it out, was something i somewhat expected, the fact that the conversation focused on Gendo's perspective rather than Shinjis is something that took me by surprise, given that te characters are inspired by Anno and his own father.

Some of the throwbacks i found amazing, most particular ritsuko shooting Gendo, mimicking the scene from EoE where she hesitated and was cockblocked by her mamacomputer, instead she now shows no hesitation as tho shes metanarratively taking revenge for what happened in EoE

I actually really liked the beginning, actually seeing a lot of these characters grow older for once in those 25 years the franchise exists was a weird feeling, in a good way.

The beginning and ending are very much my favorite part of the movie, but the middle section i found fairly disappointing. It reveled too much in the weirder lore regions of Eva that i dont really care about, and does so rather badly.

Anti-Space? Golgota Object? Everybody can summon some more spears? Asuka is also a clone like Rei? And she can turn into an angel? Gendo can shoot lasers because he became half-angel through Nebuchadnezar? Roaming Zombie Evas? Eva Infinity? Dreamspaces? I found that entire segment to be incredibly messy.

Im also sad that Asuka didn't got a lot of attention at the end. It's implied she hooks up with Kensuke, but you don't really see any of it. In fact, you might miss her entirely in the ending of the show.

One of the most surprising things to me tho, is that the movie actually redeemed Mari as a character.
Something that always felt like an unnessecary addition to sell more merch suddenly feels incredibly important, like something the entire Rebuild series build up to.

on the train station, an already important environment both for EoE and 4
Shinji - standing in for the viewer - and mari stand on one side.
Asuka, Rei, and Kaworu on the other, until a train arrives and you don't see them anymore.
Shinji and Mari the leave and they blend into real world footage.

I read the scene as such:
The fictional characters all enter the train and "return back to evangelion", while Shinj, connected to this woman Mari, with her hand stretched out, leaves the world of evangelion behind and returns to the real world footage, drawing him away from escapism. Essentially presenting Mari as an "invading force" from the real world, that broke into his escapism and drew him back to the real world.

• This!
Reactions: Swenhir

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
The movie ending with Shinji fighting gendo and then talking it out, was something i somewhat expected, the fact that the conversation focused on Gendo's perspective rather than Shinjis is something that took me by surprise, given that te characters are inspired by Anno and his own father.

Some of the throwbacks i found amazing, most particular ritsuko shooting Gendo, mimicking the scene from EoE where she hesitated and was cockblocked by her mamacomputer, instead she now shows no hesitation as tho shes metanarratively taking revenge for what happened in EoE

I actually really liked the beginning, actually seeing a lot of these characters grow older for once in those 25 years the franchise exists was a weird feeling, in a good way.

The beginning and ending are very much my favorite part of the movie, but the middle section i found fairly disappointing. It reveled too much in the weirder lore regions of Eva that i dont really care about, and does so rather badly.

Anti-Space? Golgota Object? Everybody can summon some more spears? Asuka is also a clone like Rei? And she can turn into an angel? Gendo can shoot lasers because he became half-angel through Nebuchadnezar? Roaming Zombie Evas? Eva Infinity? Dreamspaces? I found that entire segment to be incredibly messy.

Im also sad that Asuka didn't got a lot of attention at the end. It's implied she hooks up with Kensuke, but you don't really see any of it. In fact, you might miss her entirely in the ending of the show.

One of the most surprising things to me tho, is that the movie actually redeemed Mari as a character.
Something that always felt like an unnessecary addition to sell more merch suddenly feels incredibly important, like something the entire Rebuild series build up to.

on the train station, an already important environment both for EoE and 4
Shinji - standing in for the viewer - and mari stand on one side.
Asuka, Rei, and Kaworu on the other, until a train arrives and you don't see them anymore.
Shinji and Mari the leave and they blend into real world footage.

I read the scene as such:
The fictional characters all enter the train and "return back to evangelion", while Shinj, connected to this woman Mari, with her hand stretched out, leaves the world of evangelion behind and returns to the real world footage, drawing him away from escapism. Essentially presenting Mari as an "invading force" from the real world, that broke into his escapism and drew him back to the real world.
I completely agree on the ending. It's a subversion of tropes but it was done so well, I really liked it. Also agreed on the ass-pull of the mythological, incomprehensible hebrew-symbolism thingies in the anti-universe. Felt like the part of Evangelion that probably makes sense if you research it and that is meant for that part of the audience. I didn't get it, but the McGuffins did their thing and that was good enough for me.

Completely agreed on Ritsuko. She John Wick'd him something good. Gendo is getting his comeuppance in this movie, something fierce while at the same time getting closure. Again, I find it really enjoyable.

As for Asuka, I'm a bit less keen on her as a character. Always found her abusive even if it was understandable. I do like that we got to see a lot of her background and the competitive spirit she's stuck in makes even more sense with how it's portrayed. NERV can take a hike.

Completely agreed on Mari. I'm with you, I thought her fanservice material that added nothing to the plot and now she feels much more integrated to the story. She's surprisingly wholesome in how she supports Asuka and is just good to heart when she isn't going batshit crazy and eating Evas.

I totally missed that viewer allegory even if I had spotted Asuka, Rei and Kaworu. By the way, I'm firmly convinced this movie skirted the line between fanservice, fanfiction fuel and fulfilling narrative goals with a degree of perfection hitherto unheard of. Pretty sure this movie set in motion a thousand ships.

I'm not sure about Mari being an outside force bringing him back to the real world because he had already started taking these steps and was pretty much there by the time he boarded the Wunder again. I think I need another watch to really get Mari's role in all this but I think it's not as binary as a savior.

One of the things I'm a fan of in this movie is how Ken-ken silently saves all these broken children. He praises Asuka, accepts her as she is and even thanks her when she's being abusive, choosing the most peaceful and compassionate course of action in every way. He and Toji feels as if they have single-handedly soothed and respected Shinji more than anyone ever did in 26 episodes and TEOE.

AHA-Lambda

MetaMember
Oct 9, 2018
Just watched it

I have no idea frankly what happened in the last hour or so but I adored every god damn bloody moment
Sayonara Evangelion 😍

Last edited:
  • This!
Reactions: prudis and Swenhir

ExistentialThought

Coffee Lover ♥☕
Feb 29, 2020
Dang, was going to order, but for that price and still having issues with the Fly Me to the Moon rights feels bad. I might wait and see what they announce for the cheaper version.

AHA-Lambda

MetaMember
Oct 9, 2018
Why not include the rebuild?
Completely different license I believe
Dang, was going to order, but for that price and still having issues with the Fly Me to the Moon rights feels bad. I might wait and see what they announce for the cheaper version.
FYI, its selling fast (down to the 700s already), and the standard edition won't be revealed until the 30th.

If I were a betting man, I'd expect the standard edition NOT to include the classic sub/dub options

AHA-Lambda

MetaMember
Oct 9, 2018
haha even the UK distributor must be shocked at the sell rate so far

In my entire history of making Ultimate Editions - we've never had one that sold out before release date. This is helped by when planning the quantities for these editions, we always prefer to round up than round down especially with the well loved titles. Even when faced with extremely high demand for some of those Ultimate's, we always had units available on release day for purchase. I strongly believe this will follow that trend.
Its now <500 copies

Last edited:

Kvik

Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
The Aussie distributor doesn't even have the item page yet. :flare_lmao:

It's 25 quid for shipping again. Such is life. :flare_pout:

Kvik

Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
I've heard on Twitter that the US/GKIDS distribution has already sold out. In a little more than 10 hours. :flaregalaxycat:

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
The "NEON GENESIS EVANGELION: Ultimate Edition" is up in the UK and it's £199! You do get a lot for that though but i'm wondering if i'll just wait for a Bluray only release in future. I can't see myself putting up the board-print artworks but the 156 page book is tempting.

Decisions, decisions. I haven't watched the new Evangelion yet as i barely remember anything about the series as i haven't watched it in years. I couldn't find my DVDs last time i looked for them so they must be in storage.

AHA-Lambda

MetaMember
Oct 9, 2018
Just announced on Facebook that the UK will get an additional 1000 units
Edit: down to <800 apparently

Last edited:

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
It says on the Ultimate Pre-Order page that other editions would be available later. I got busy at work and didn't end up buying Ultimate today. I might go for it tomorrow and see if it's still in my cart and available or not.
The extras are nice but i think i'd be okay with just the shows tbh.

• Comfy
Reactions: Kvik

Kvik

Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
As long as Alltheanime is honouring my order, I'm good.

$500 is probably what I'm willing to pay at most for the "budget" Legend of Galactic Heroes boxset, considering its episode count (103).

Even then... :mion_barf: