|OT| This is the Anime Thread, Darling~~

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
This Demon Slayer episode :love:

First that fight at the beginning was awesome.
And then I was laughing for the rest of the episode.

And I'm unbelievably hyped for this second cour.
Y'all gotta watch it.

Reactions: Pranooy

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
Symphogear was fire :sweaty-blob::sweaty-blob:
No Opening yet, unfortunately :(

That transformation sequence, though :sweaty-blob:

OP
Hektor

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
So, i started watching Cells At Work and reading the manga in tandem, because the first 5 volumes were in the Humble Manga Bundle and i have to say the manga is clearly suprior for the dumbest of reasons.

The Manga actually explains the body functions in its panels so you can understand the jokes without being a doctor and even learn something from it, which is great, it feels legit educational, but the anime is completely failing that because it doesn't explain shit and just expects you to know how white blood cells operate in a lymph duct, which i now only did because i read the manga chapter prior.

Gonna stick with it some more, but i'll probably stop watching if that doesn't change and read the manga only.

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
So, i started watching Cells At Work and reading the manga in tandem, because the first 5 volumes were in the Humble Manga Bundle and i have to say the manga is clearly suprior for the dumbest of reasons.

The Manga actually explains the body functions in its panels so you can understand the jokes without being a doctor and even learn something from it, which is great, it feels legit educational, but the anime is completely failing that because it doesn't explain shit and just expects you to know how white blood cells operate in a lymph duct, which i now only did because i read the manga chapter prior.

Gonna stick with it some more, but i'll probably stop watching if that doesn't change and read the manga only.
You'd know that shit by heart if you've watched the OG best anime:

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
I agree with what you said, but I always think of the anime as a companion piece of the manga and this didn't diminish my enjoyment in any way. And obviously I will always recommend to read the manga first before watching the anime.

Check out Hataraku Saibou Black as well if you got the chance.

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
Symphogear Episode 2

That opening.
And Kirika transformation scene.
And action.
And concert.
And massacre.

New opening is great

And we get another transformation scene (note: it's a bit lewd)

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
That Kyoani fire looks horrible, RIP to all the victims, and fuck the guy who started the fire.

OP
Hektor

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
Whyyyyy.
Had the Studio eben involved in any controversies recently, or why would someone do such a horrible thing to the people there?

Kvik

Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
I'm not aware of a controversy, if any. From what I've heard KyoAni is actually one of the better studios who look after their employees well. So it's doubly sad that this happened to them.

Sentai Filmworks apparently has set up a GoFundMe, although I'm not sure if it's official.

Some eyewitness reports in this article (warning: graphic description).

and report from NHK.

Last edited:

fsdood

Jan 9, 2019
is this some crazed otaku that did this? why would anyone do this?

Sentai Filmworks apparently has set up a GoFundMe, although I'm not sure
I'd rather wait if there's going to be an official one or at least confirming it's official

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
This is horrible. I googled it and you can literally see the death count rising based on the date of the articles reporting on it as more get confirmed, with 33 dead and 36 injured being the latest.
Fuck.

「Echo」

鈴鹿御前。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
33 dead, 36 injured... There were 73 people in that building so that's some grim math.

Hope the Hospital can keep the perp alive and Police get answers for this senseless violence. And when it's all over I hope the families get closure when the scum is sentenced to hang. (Yes, In Japan our death penalty is by hanging.)

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
33 dead, 36 injured... There were 73 people in that building so that's some grim math.

Hope the Hospital can keep the perp alive and Police get answers for this senseless violence. And when it's all over I hope the families get closure when the scum is sentenced to hang. (Yes, In Japan our death penalty is by hanging.)
Yeah thay guy is fucked. Such senseless violence, sigh.

「Echo」

鈴鹿御前。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
Anybody watching "Do You Love Your Mom and Her Two-Hit Multi-Target Attacks? " this season?

It sounds like it'd be something I'd be interested in, since Mama characters are my jam, but I dunno...

The character design is pretty nice.

Reactions: Kvik

Oheao

Jun 29, 2019
A bit late, but I got some anime for Prime Day. Akira, Bayonetta: Bloody Fate and Your Name. I only saw Bayonetta so far, still need to see the other two!

OP
Hektor

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
Anybody watching "Do You Love Your Mom and Her Two-Hit Multi-Target Attacks? " this season?
I'll probably have to give it a try for that amazing name alone

A bit late, but I got some anime for Prime Day. Akira, Bayonetta: Bloody Fate and Your Name. I only saw Bayonetta so far, still need to see the other two!
Your name and Akira are two incredibly beautiful movies to look at. Pure eye candy from beginning to end. Hope you enjoy them!

Reactions: 「Echo」 and Kvik

Kvik

Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
I saw the first episode and I think it's pretty funny. Sharing bonds with your mum over an RPG is an awesome concept. As has been proven by Rakuen on one spectrum. But this one is on a different kind of spectrum, obviously. Anyway. My only nitpick is probably the age of Mamako, who seems to be in her mid 20s. But considering 25 y.o. is practically the retirement age of most anime characters, I'll allow it. Also, Masato is likable enough and not being an arsehole at all towards his mum considering she can be overbearing at times.

Will watch the second episode soon once I've caught up with Horny Weightlifting:

Reactions: 「Echo」

fsdood

Jan 9, 2019

kyoani has now opened a bank account to support the victims directly, so if anyone was on the fence with sentai, now's the chance to give them directly

Reactions: 「Echo」 and Kvik

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
I have no words for the Kyoani attack. Terrorism. Madness. It hits really close to home and... Yeah. Still reeling from it.

Anything you guys recommend watching this season beyond Kimetsu no Yaiba and Vinland Saga?

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
Anything you guys recommend watching this season beyond Kimetsu no Yaiba and Vinland Saga?
Other than Yaiba, the only other show I'm following weekly is Symphogear Season 5.

There are a bunch of others I plan to watch eventually though:
Granbelm: Magical Girl x Mecha, watched 1 episode and it was interesting
Danmachi Season 2: I watched season 1, so.... :p

And a few I will eventually check out:
Lord El-melloi II (aka Fate/Waver)
Cop Craft (written by the Full Metal Panic guy)
Fire Force (by the Soul Eater mangaka)

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Other than Yaiba, the only other show I'm following weekly is Symphogear Season 5.

There are a bunch of others I plan to watch eventually though:
Granbelm: Magical Girl x Mecha, watched 1 episode and it was interesting
Danmachi Season 2: I watched season 1, so.... :p

And a few I will eventually check out:
Lord El-melloi II (aka Fate/Waver)
Cop Craft (written by the Full Metal Panic guy)
Fire Force (by the Soul Eater mangaka)
Oh good point about fire force, I adore the manga and I'll check the anime out. Thanks!

「Echo」

鈴鹿御前。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
I watched Franxx Episode 1 just now.

I thought I was gonna play games today... but maybe not. I'll marathon a good chunk of this. What an opening! I do feel like it's missing some of the Trigger flare though... Maybe that's the A-1 pictures taking over... I wonder how much Trigger was involved, just certain scenes or what?

OP
Hektor

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
I watched Franxx Episode 1 just now.

I thought I was gonna play games today... but maybe not. I'll marathon a good chunk of this. What an opening! I do feel like it's missing some of the Trigger flare though... Maybe that's the A-1 pictures taking over... I wonder how much Trigger was involved, just certain scenes or what?
Embracing the daarin~~

I don't think trigger was really involved beyond a handful of moments, it's not something you notice in direction or animation unfortunately.

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
I didn't realize Thunderbolt Fantasy season 3 is going to be in October already, hell yeah!

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
JoJo Part 5 finale finally aired.
This got me legit shook
One day lashman will join us in this paradise...
Or at least like the posts in here. That's one step closer to it!

Now the eternal wait for DISCCaptor JoJo: Flordia Edition anime.

Last edited:
OP
Hektor

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
Just watched the first three episodes of Vinland Saga
If those episodes are anything to go buy i can't wait for the rest.

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
Here's another reason why everyone should watch Symphogear btw.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Just watched the first three episodes of Vinland Saga
If those episodes are anything to go buy i can't wait for the rest.

Yep, it's surprisingly good so far. Almost a match for the manga panels cut by cut. I look forward to the rest :).

「Echo」

鈴鹿御前。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
Finished up to Ep.9 of Franxx so far.

The Love-triangle is so awkward, especially because I always tend to support childhood friend couples, and Ichigo is clearly on the losing end of this one. :face-with-cold-sweat:

OP
Hektor

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
Finished up to Ep.9 of Franxx so far.

The Love-triangle is so awkward, especially because I always tend to support childhood friend couples, and Ichigo is clearly on the losing end of this one. :face-with-cold-sweat:
Is there any particular reason for that?

「Echo」

鈴鹿御前。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
Is there any particular reason for that?
Mhm, maybe it's because I think back fondly on my own childhood relationship and wonder how nice it would have been if that lasted forever...? You know us Japanese have a way of romanticizing our youth lol, but I had a friend like that even with my tumultuous childhood. We always checked on each-other, whenever my family came back to Japan she was the first I'd check-in with. We went to the same schools. Always together, but we didn't actually start dating until High-School. I remember all the awkwardness and memories in-between... Those memories always bring stupid smiles to my face.

I just think it's a sweet and heartwarming concept. Like you know somebody for soooo long. You grew up with them and saw them at all their stages and shared so many memories... Imagine growing old with that person? Seeing them grow from child to elder and being with them that whole time to support each-other? Doesn't that make you feel warm inside?

Childhood friends who turn into romantic couples has always been a weak-spot for me. So Franxx has been very bittersweet in this way to me, I feel terrible for Ichigo. :crying-face:

Reactions: Arsene and Kvik
OP
Hektor

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
Mhm, maybe it's because I think back fondly on my own childhood relationship and wonder how nice it would have been if that lasted forever...? You know us Japanese have a way of romanticizing our youth lol, but I had a friend like that even with my tumultuous childhood. We always checked on each-other, whenever my family came back to Japan she was the first I'd check-in with. We went to the same schools. Always together, but we didn't actually start dating until High-School. I remember all the awkwardness and memories in-between... Those memories always bring stupid smiles to my face.

I just think it's a sweet and heartwarming concept. Like you know somebody for soooo long. You grew up with them and saw them at all their stages and shared so many memories... Imagine growing old with that person? Seeing them grow from child to elder and being with them that whole time to support each-other? Doesn't that make you feel warm inside?

Childhood friends who turn into romantic couples has always been a weak-spot for me. So Franxx has been very bittersweet in this way to me, I feel terrible for Ichigo. :crying-face:
I guess I can't really relate much due to a lack of my own. Oh well.

If it's really something you care about, youre in for a ride tho

「Echo」

鈴鹿御前。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
Just finished Ep. 23, about to start the last.

I wasn't ready for any of this... :crying-face:

Can't believe all the 1/10 reviews on MAL trashing it, it feels like maybe the pacing was too fast for those people or they just didn't connect with the characters?

For me I think it does have a lot of flaws, and some of the inspirations are a little too upfront, but dang if the interpersonal drama doesn't break my heart at a near constant. I'm such a fuckin' sap lmao. I definitely think it's a solid 8/10.

Edit:

Yep. Wasn't ready. What the fuck man. It's bittersweet, but it's hitting my feels so much more just because all the recent sadness in my life.

I hate this feeling, but it was a beautiful work that elicited a lot of feelings from me. ... I'm not really sure what's next lol.

Last edited:
OP
Hektor

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018

So what do you think of 02 now that you know she's a childhood friend as well? Still #TeamIchigo? :thinking-face:

Idk, i think i can understand why a lot of people dislike it, the mech fights aren't particularly great and the relationship drama is something that a lot are probably put off by, especially with the somewhat propagandistic messaging underneath.

Personally i found it's a very flawed anime that i still really enjoyed on the basis of the characters, the drama, and the ecchii aspect :sweaty-blob:

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
Right now I'm watching this 2016 Shaft anime called Kamen Rider Ex-Aid.

「Echo」

鈴鹿御前。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
So what do you think of 02 now that you know she's a childhood friend as well? Still #TeamIchigo? :thinking-face:

Idk, i think i can understand why a lot of people dislike it, the mech fights aren't particularly great and the relationship drama is something that a lot are probably put off by, especially with the somewhat propagandistic messaging underneath.

Personally i found it's a very flawed anime that i still really enjoyed on the basis of the characters, the drama, and the ecchii aspect :sweaty-blob:

#TeamIchigo? huh, I guess not in the end seeing how it all panned out. Still, Ichigo is a good girl who just wants the best for Hiro in the end, it's really sad that despite her own devotion, it never gets returned... Unrequited love like that, it really sucks! :crying-face: But the sorrow is somewhat abated by the fact that after the time-skip you see she was able to move on.

I'm not sure I see the "propaganda" aspect? It's just the way the science worked out in-universe, and the books the kids were left/discovered. Plus the fact that overwhelmingly the majority of humans are attracted to opposite sexes. Even so Franxx had a Lesbian character, and not a side-character but one of the main squadmates. I guess another thing to keep in mind is the Adam/Eve aspect of it. The adults can't reproduce, so like it not, the kids kinda have to be overwhelmingly straight to reproduce the species?

But I dunno honestly, that kinda stuff isn't something I think of much. At first I didn't even realize what you might even consider "propaganda?" Like the first thing my mind jumped to was actually the Religious aspect of reincarnation...

Anyway yeah I also found it very good. I maintain it's a solid 8/10, and it probably would have greatly benefited from an extra two episodes (sometime between revelation of VIRM and explanation of Klaxo-Sapiens as the original species of Earth, an episode dedicated to each species would have been swell) but alas...

Glad I finally watched it. :)