|OT| Valve's Steam Deck - OLED refresh shipping to folks

Dec 5, 2018

MomoVideo

ķ͕͕̍̅͋ḭ̼͂̕lļ͓̞̙̀͗͆̊ ͉͛m͕̲̮̆̒̐̍͢e ͠
Apr 5, 2021

Minsc

Aug 7, 2021
And I mean, technically, unknown is a compatibility rating, but if 95% of your games are unknown, it is going to be at least a bit worrisome for some folks. I suppose they may be able to quickly flag any VR only game as unsupported which probably knocks off ~4,250 or so titles. Then they will probably flag any anime games as unsupported, and that will probably knock off another ~50,000 or so titles, so that only leave around 10,000 they still need to validate.
I don't think it matters that much if 10% of games aren't supported or 90% games aren't as long as there's a filter that's probably even enabled by default on the device which automatically hides all unsupported games.

This way, when you're on the Steam Deck, 100% of the games you browse/view are supported, regardless if that 100% is 500 games or 500,000 games.

Reactions: LEANIJA

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
As far as I know, Ys IX is now in the manual queue - curious to see the results!

That said, there are still several things I'm unsure of regarding the verification process. One thing is that most verifications (of popular games) seem to run without any involvement of the developer/publisher. In particular, this means that Valve also isn't getting any guidance or support for the process. For many games that may be fine, but for some games I don't see how this can work. Think of a slow-paced or just really large JRPG that is still unlocking new mechanics with new HUD elements at 15 hours in -- how will Valve get to see them to check whether the font size or button prompts are appropriate? I highly doubt they have people playing these games for 15 hours to reach that point, that seems completely unsustainable.
The other option is to play a bit and assume the rest of the game is the same. Which will likely work in 95% of the cases, but even a small number of "falsely verified" games seem like they could erode trust in the verification badge which is really not something you'd want.

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
As far as I know, Ys IX is now in the manual queue - curious to see the results!

That said, there are still several things I'm unsure of regarding the verification process. One thing is that most verifications (of popular games) seem to run without any involvement of the developer/publisher. In particular, this means that Valve also isn't getting any guidance or support for the process. For many games that may be fine, but for some games I don't see how this can work. Think of a slow-paced or just really large JRPG that is still unlocking new mechanics with new HUD elements at 15 hours in -- how will Valve get to see them to check whether the font size or button prompts are appropriate? I highly doubt they have people playing these games for 15 hours to reach that point, that seems completely unsustainable.
The other option is to play a bit and assume the rest of the game is the same. Which will likely work in 95% of the cases, but even a small number of "falsely verified" games seem like they could erode trust in the verification badge which is really not something you'd want.
Yeah, checking so many games thoroughly seems like it would require herculean effort. I imagine that the goal is to remove that burden from developers and speed up the process but edge cases like the ones you described seem inevitable.

Reactions: ExistentialThought

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018

That's a good point, and I think a solution might that Valve will just have to be conservative with the "Verified" label, and just give "Playable" to a lot of games, unless they tester has reason to assume they have seen enough to be representative of the entire game.

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Considering that the deck is so flexible when it comes to input, don't they just have to check that the game has support for those? Meaning even if the game does change up gameplay for different input types as long as the deck can handle those its all good. Meaning they don't have to play that long, only need to check if inputs register in the game?

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
I mean, they confirmed they got help from contractors specifically for this task, I'm guessing teams are getting X amount of games and playing a certain number of hours to check the correct status but I totally get what Durante is saying, FFX for example only has 2 visual bugs and are specifically the last cinematic of the game, rest of the game shouldn't show any problem but last two part video is green for some reason (likely bad enconded) but yeah, I don't think we should worry for this, those games that present any bug at a later stage it can always be reported to devs in case they want to tweak anything.

Minsc

Aug 7, 2021
I mean, they confirmed they got help from contractors specifically for this task, I'm guessing teams are getting X amount of games and playing a certain number of hours to check the correct status but I totally get what Durante is saying, FFX for example only has 2 visual bugs and are specifically the last cinematic of the game, rest of the game shouldn't show any problem but last two part video is green for some reason (likely bad enconded) but yeah, I don't think we should worry for this, those games that present any bug at a later stage it can always be reported to devs in case they want to tweak anything.
Yeah, and these bugs are present in the Windows version (I encountered them myself and had to youtube the scenes) - so it will be funny and the real turning point when games start running with fewer bugs on Steam than Windows.

So I wonder if the same standards would be expected of Windows though and FFX on the Steam store should be not labeled as compatible with Windows hahaha. If they started looking that closely at games I'm sure you'd be able to knock a few hundred thousand games off the Steam store anyway for some reason or another.

Reactions: Mor

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Durante BTW, does the SteamOS on Deck has a sound bite on achievement unlock, or is it the same as current ones?
It took me a while to answer that since the game I'm currently playing is Crosscode and it has internal achievement tracking, so I wasn't sure whether the sound was coming from the game or the OS. But yes, there's a sound effect, since I also heard it during our own games and those don't have internal tracking :p

Last edited:

MomoVideo

Apr 5, 2021
It took me a while to answer that since the game I'm currently playing is Crosscode and it has internal achievement tracking, so I wasn't sure whether the sound was coming from the game or the OS. But yes, there's a sound effect, since I also heard it during our own games and those don't have internal tracking :p
That thing right there is the true reason to run SteamOS instead of Windows. Steam Deck is saved!

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Cool for those that want it. I assume it's a toggle so we can turn it off if we don't want achievement notifications?

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
I never understood what it was with you people and achievement sounds.
That's something I never even thought of... but achievements are something I don't really worry about for most games

~

I wonder if Valve/their contractors also take a look at ProtonDb when they test games to get an idea before they start

ExistentialThought

Coffee Lover ♥☕
Feb 29, 2020
Cool for those that want it. I assume it's a toggle so we can turn it off if we don't want achievement notifications?
What I hope for an overhaul to achievements is the options to have sound&display notification, display notification only, no notifcation while still earning, and turn off achievements. Ideally globally AND on a per game basis.

Then they can have default sounds and display, developer set sounds and display, and custom sounds and display (bonus for Valve, they could add stuff to points shop). Basically the ship has sailed for making achievements more meaningful via points or levels, but they can make the experience more customizable for folks who like it OR be able to shut it off entirely for folks who do not.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
This will make the wait to April/May/June even more awful, I can tell.

• Hug

CommodoreKong

Mercenary in the Badlands
Jun 15, 2019
I also wonder what Valves plan is—didnt they say they will test the whole Steam catalogue? maybe they have trained robots in their Aperture Labs?

more realistically, maybe they've outsourced it all somehow...

still, its kinda weird that its not progressed more already, given that there are checks search ... holy hell, 60,000 games on Steam.
Valve does have outsourced customer service, it's possible they're going to have that company do some of the testing.

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria

The Falconeer has a native Steam build now, because "The developer decided to do a native port, as they wanted the experience to be as good as possible for the Steam Deck."

TheTrain

MetaMember
Jun 11, 2019
Linux build released for Technobabylon too!

Mor

Sep 7, 2018
By now I'm guessing you saw the news, there has been a big batch of games that went through the verification process and there is good news and bad news.

I will start with the good news, a huge number of SP games have been rated as verified and work perfectly fine on Deck, this list includes all FF pixel remaster games, Hitman 1, Deathloop, Ni No Kuni 2, Katamari, Dead Cells, Bayonetta, MGRising or Rockect League among other titles, quite a few, in fact.

The bad news come from the Anti-cheat side, as expected the verification process has determined that games with EAC or battleye are not configured to work on Deck at this moment, games such as MCC (MP side), Gears 5 (MP side), Fall Guys, Planetside 2 or Back 4 Blood do have this displayed on them:

Shouldn't be a difficult fix as both Valve and Epic have worked together to make this process as painless as possible and it shouldn't be worrying because this results have been sent to partners in order to tweak their stuff.

So yeah, thinks are looking great for SP games and a mix bag for MP games, hopefully that will change for better.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Well, it always required those developers to do some bare minimum work, so this isn't suprising. Hopefully most of those games will bother to enable Linux support.

MomoVideo

Apr 5, 2021
Planetside 2 actually works in Proton so this "not supported" status is wrong.

Mor

Sep 7, 2018
Planetside 2 actually works in Proton so this "not supported" status is wrong.
Probably some heuristic test that resulted on a false positive? could be.

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
I'm wondering, is it possible to send out a video signal from the deck at the same time as having the screen on the deck? For example connecting it to a capture card for streaming but playing on the deck?