|OT| Valve's Steam Deck - OLED refresh shipping to folks

madjoki

👀 I see you
Sep 19, 2018

Test Results for games with count for each test item.

most are somewhat self descriptive but translations are available here:

Unsupported40
Playable110
Verified114

Total 224 games.

Autodetection for settings seems working well, with 220 games nailing it (to Valve's standard) and only 4 failing.

Text Input is most common issue, which is probably not that bad.

Only 1 game works with Gyro with trackpad.

Reactions: Pommes

MomoVideo

ķ͕͕̍̅͋ḭ̼͂̕lļ͓̞̙̀͗͆̊ ͉͛m͕̲̮̆̒̐̍͢e ͠
Apr 5, 2021
Some games appear to not support external controllers for the first player which sounds troubling if someone wants to connect Deck to an external display. I hope Valve irons this out in the future.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Planetside 2 actually works in Proton so this "not supported" status is wrong.
Maybe someone at Valve really doesn't like Planetside 2, and doesn't want people playing it on the Deck. Thus, "not supported" from Valve.

• Toucan
Reactions: Knurek

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Metal Gear Rising is actually a game I thought about replaying several times over the past couple years so seeing it be verified on Deck is great.

I think I'm still set on my first Deck game being some platformer or Souls game tho :p I was thinking maybe the first Resident Evil game too.

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Ewwww. It's great it runs but controller for an FPS? Ewwwwwwww.
I'll only be FPSing when docked with M&K connected.

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
For all we know, might just be a Steam Remote Play or Geforce Now stream from a much stronger PC, so...
Could be but performance looks like fairly solid 30 fps, I don't see anything that is beyond Steam Deck's reach unless someone can determine that the footage uses ray tracing.

Arkanius

Dec 21, 2018
I don't know how to measure my disapointment for Bungie doing no work to support the Steam Deck :(
Still expecting the Witch Queen release to bring news regarding that

• Sad
Reactions: beep boop

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
I can safely say that, AT THE VERY LEAST, that's not a mock-up as the ones I use to do from time to time for fun + it's the Afterlife, an interior so performance should be solid there, yes.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
For all we know, might just be a Steam Remote Play or Geforce Now stream from a much stronger PC, so...
Its as powerful as a base PS4 so no reason to think it should have issues running portable Cyberpunk @720p.

Battery life will be the real shitty thing with demanding games like that tho.

Reactions: LEANIJA

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
I don't know how to measure my disapointment for Bungie doing no work to support the Steam Deck :(
Still expecting the Witch Queen release to bring news regarding that
this will be a boon in my case because I really shouldn't let myself get tempted by the darkness once again...

(I would expect the game to be supported sooner than later however, odd if it wasn't)

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
I also dont see a reason why Cyberpunk shouldnt run on the Deck. It certainly runs flawless via Proton, and the hardware should be capable enough :)

~

speaking of Proton: I really wonder why some devs are so hesitant to do the bare minimum ( © Mivey ) to implement the Proton-enabled EAC / BattlEye-versions... do they think that means they need to support Linux full-time or something?

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
The way I see it, the deck is comparable to the series S in regards to power for intended resolution, maybe a little weaker. CP2077 ran just fine at 30 on the series s with really no optimisation for it.

Phawx

Not-tradamus
Sep 6, 2018
The way I see it, the deck is comparable to the series S in regards to power for intended resolution, maybe a little weaker. CP2077 ran just fine at 30 on the series s with really no optimisation for it.
There is still a big part of me that believes the Series S was a trojan horse to make a Xbox handheld.

jads653

MetaMember
Oct 18, 2021
Utrecht, Netherlands
I also dont see a reason why Cyberpunk shouldnt run on the Deck. It certainly runs flawless via Proton, and the hardware should be capable enough :)
Except for raytracing. Which is something you aren't going to be running on the steamdeck anyways due to performance. And the fact that the opensource AMD drivers don't really support raytracing that well yet.

Last edited:

ExistentialThought

Coffee Lover ♥☕
Feb 29, 2020
I am wondering if once the first batch goes out, if they will start to have solid dates for additional batches. I am assuming it will still be up in the air, but my hype is starting to increase again and I cannot wait.

I wonder if NDA on coverage is two fold to give time for all outlets to receive theirs and finalize any last minute items. I will be curious of what level of hands on impressions they will allow.

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
I am wondering if once the first batch goes out, if they will start to have solid dates for additional batches. I am assuming it will still be up in the air, but my hype is starting to increase again and I cannot wait.

I wonder if NDA on coverage is two fold to give time for all outlets to receive theirs and finalize any last minute items. I will be curious of what level of hands on impressions they will allow.
Based on what Phawx and Gamers Nexus said the previews can go in very deep in terms of objective data and metrics but they can't express subjective opinions until the full reviews. GN said that they will do a hardware deep dive with a ton of detail and Phawx talked about benchmarks, battery tests, TDP etc. It seems we are in for very meaty previews.

TioChuck

More Yellow 🤷‍♂️
Dec 31, 2018
Wait, here is something I never even thought about, but does the deck have rumble? Tried to check the deck site and it doesn't seem to have?
Its has haptics for the touchpads, probably theres some way to enable somehow.

• Eyes
Reactions: Le Pertti

MomoVideo

ķ͕͕̍̅͋ḭ̼͂̕lļ͓̞̙̀͗͆̊ ͉͛m͕̲̮̆̒̐̍͢e ͠
Apr 5, 2021
I might be wrong but I think it has rumble too. I think I saw a toggle for it in one of the previews when people were at Valve's office.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018

Automatic translation from this video: 震惊,steam deck竟然可以自定义gpu性能哔哩哔哩bilibili演示

I suppose dynamic refresh rate is VRS (variable refresh rate), but what is variable resolution? AFAIK dynamic resolution is not something you can implement globally.
It's probably not dynamic refresh rate, the Deck doesn't have a screen that support it. Has to be variable rate shading. The auto translation is clearly pretty garbage with these technical descriptions, so I could see that error happening.
I don't see why dynamic resolution shouldn't work globally. Probably hard to test it works for every game, but in principle you just scale down the resolutions of all buffers if the frametime ever drops below some threshold.

jmga

Sep 20, 2018
It's probably not dynamic refresh rate, the Deck doesn't have a screen that support it. Has to be variable rate shading. The auto translation is clearly pretty garbage with these technical descriptions, so I could see that error happening.
I don't see why dynamic resolution shouldn't work globally. Probably hard to test it works for every game, but in principle you just scale down the resolutions of all buffers if the frametime ever drops below some threshold.
Yes, I was referring to Variable Rate Shading, my bad. The thing is there is no dynamic resolution feature in Gamescope right now (nor publicly in the works), so this could be an unannounced feature.

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
Phawx has put a bunch a lot of size comparisons on Twitter:

Jeez, was the OG PSP really that small? I used it a ton and it never seemed that way. But it's like the size of a Steam controller

That comparison with the 3rd party joycons on the Switch is really great, too

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Geez the deck is bigger than Wii U gamepad. Gamepad is already pretty heavy, so the Deck must be heavier... I start to feel that there will be some people who sell the console after using it because of how heavy it is.

Reactions: ExistentialThought

ExistentialThought

Coffee Lover ♥☕
Feb 29, 2020
Geez the deck is bigger than Wii U gamepad. Gamepad is already pretty heavy, so the Deck must be heavier... I start to feel that there will be some people who sell the console after using it because of how heavy it is.
It looks like 491 (.98lbs) grams for Wii U gamepad vs. 669 grams f(1.47lbs) or Steam Deck, which is appreciably heavier.

I will say though, the Wii U gamepad was an absolute treat to hold despite its size due to that little nuzzle for your hands.

I think the Steam Deck will hold pretty similarly based on its shape, but its weight will definitely impact some folks who hold their handhelds in some positions (e.g. like in bed with it over their arms held up).

The Wii U gamepad is a shape I wish Nintendo would have preserved in the Switch, instead shrunk down and is barely there in the joycons. Holding the Switch for a long time, my pinkies usually start to sit underneath the joycons to help hold it up since my grip feels a bit weaker on it and I cannot play too long since it is a bit tiring. I imagine the Switch Lite would completely solve my issues with the Switch though.