|OT| Valve's Steam Deck - OLED refresh shipping to folks

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
It looks like 491 (.98lbs) grams for Wii U gamepad vs. 669 grams f(1.47lbs) or Steam Deck, which is appreciably heavier.

I will say though, the Wii U gamepad was an absolute treat to hold despite its size due to that little nuzzle for your hands.

I think the Steam Deck will hold pretty similarly based on its shape, but its weight will definitely impact some folks who hold their handhelds in some positions (e.g. like in bed with it over their arms held up).

The Wii U gamepad is a shape I wish Nintendo would have preserved in the Switch, instead shrunk down and is barely there in the joycons. Holding the Switch for a long time, my pinkies usually start to sit underneath the joycons to help hold it up since my grip feels a bit weaker on it and I cannot play too long since it is a bit tiring. I imagine the Switch Lite would completely solve my issues with the Switch though.
I talked about the weight because I have seen people on local forums even think Switch is too big and heavy for playing outside since Asians have relatively smaller hands. Also saw someone posted Phawx's pics there and many people are saying "oh, I can train my arm muscle when playing this. Thanks Valve!" haha. Maybe it would not be a issue to some, but I definitely think Wii U gamepad is already a bit heavy as a handheld so the Deck will be heavy to some people.

The shape of joycon didn't have that curve shape is due to it being able to be used horizontally. Necessarily sacrifice. Switch Lite also does not have it (which sucks) but it is much smaller than the original Switch.

Last edited:

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
I think people should put some faith in Valve's hardware designers. Steam Deck isn't big just for the heck of it, it's big because Valve prioritized function and comfort over form.

Reactions: Ge0force

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
The size does bother me, but I’m willing to give it a chance.

Switch is in the upper end of size for me, normally, but I have no doubts Valve have made the Steam Deck comfortable to use.

Last edited:

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Yeah I am not trying to diss on Valve for designing a huge hardware. Just saying the size and weight is going to bother some people and they probably do not realize it yet.

Have fun though! Because I probably will not be able to get one until 2023 or 24 haha.

Reactions: Pommes

Alexandros

Nov 4, 2018
Yeah I am not trying to diss on Valve for designing a huge hardware. Just saying the size and weight is going to bother some people and they probably do not realize it yet.

Have fun though! Because I probably will not be able to get one until 2023 or 24 haha.
I actually think the opposite, that people believe they will be bothered by the size but they will like it once they get their hands on it.

Minsc

Aug 7, 2021
I think the larger something is the less heavy it'll feel too - I know, even though it's the same weight, if you have a small DS sized console at 1 lb, and a huge iPad Pro sized device also at 1 lb, I think the weight distribution over a larger area does tend to make things seem lighter. Not that the size is that dramatic a difference, but I should weigh my iPad Pro with magic keyboard case one day, that thing feels like it's 3lbs or something, definitely on the heavier side.

Phawx

Not-tradamus
Sep 6, 2018
I think people should put some faith in Valve's hardware designers. Steam Deck isn't big just for the heck of it, it's big because Valve prioritized function and comfort over form.
Not to mention that even people with smaller hands will have little problem reaching all the controls..

(I'm genuinely a bit surprised that the tweet fired off has generated so much attention. It's been compared to the Switch previously lol)

Alexandros

Nov 4, 2018
Not to mention that even people with smaller hands will have little problem reaching all the controls..

(I'm genuinely a bit surprised that the tweet fired off has generated so much attention. It's been compared to the Switch previously lol)
Some of the comparison pics and the memes they generated were pretty funny. I have to admit I laughed when someone posted your Steam Deck/Vita comparison and wrote "don't talk to me or my son ever again" :D

• Toucan
Reactions: Xclash and Mor

Xclash

MetaMember
Dec 13, 2018

It’s pretty nutty but I absolutely trust you. Heck I pledge on the GPD Win Max 2020 after your preview coverage and you were 100% on the money with it and I have rather small Asian hands.

Reactions: Phawx

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020

I played the heck out of DJ Max Portable on the PSP back in the day. Sadly I think the Steam version of DJMax is broken on Linux due to some weird anti-cheat. This will be a nice substitute.

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018

I played the heck out of DJ Max Portable on the PSP back in the day. Sadly I think the Steam version of DJMax is broken on Linux due to some weird anti-cheat. This will be a nice substitute.
I'd never play a rhythm game (well, one that requires so many button presses) on a device I can't easily change controls at.
Much cheaper to replace a separate controller than a whole device (and believe me, rhythm games have so far destroyed 4 separate DS4s for me).

Reactions: Arc

Alexandros

Nov 4, 2018
Phawx's video is going to be 53 minutes long, he said so on the Steam Deck discord. He also said this:

My expectations are that it will alter people's perception of what a PC is and the console crowd will find it lovely. It will blur the line between PC and console
...which I find super exciting. Phawx I hope it's ok that I posted that, please let me know if it's not and I will delete it.

Last edited:

Phawx

Not-tradamus
Sep 6, 2018
It’s pretty nutty but I absolutely trust you. Heck I pledge on the GPD Win Max 2020 after your preview coverage and you were 100% on the money with it and I have rather small Asian hands.
Nice! The I am a Max Man and when (if) GPD makes a Rembrandt version, I'll be switching.

Phawx's video is going to be 53 minutes long, he said so on the Steam Deck discord. He also said this:

...which I find super exciting. Phawx I hope it's ok that I posted that, please let me know if it's not and I will delete it.
I think it's fine but I'm running on like four hours of sleep and currently stressing if I showed too much or too little. lol

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
I think it's fine but I'm running on like four hours of sleep and currently stressing if I showed too much or too little. lol
If it's any comfort, I think for many of us there will always too be little coverage and never too much, until we have our own units :blobnerd:

Alexandros

Nov 4, 2018
I've watched a lot of your coverage of other handhelds. Your content is unique, no one else really does the thing that you do. I hope this is a chance for you to reach a bigger audience, you fully deserve it. Good luck and thank you for all your hard work and for communicating with us.

• This!
Reactions: C-Dub

jmga

Sep 20, 2018
The one game I really want on the deck and on Steam, Minecraft! Please Microsoft, please!
Actually, you have Minecraft Bedrock for Linux in AUR repositories, you need Minecraft Pocket Edition bought on Google Play and login through a custom launcher, but works exactly the same as Minecraft Bedrock on Windows, with controller support by default, really good performance, cross-platform multiplayer, etc. The only missing thing is ray tracing.

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
Excellent burn, but let’s be honest, that was just a poorly thought out excuse.

The reality is Sweeney doesn’t want to support SD directly. Obviously their development partners are interested, so they have to port their anti-cheat over just to stay competitive, but they’ll never release Fortnite on Steam and releasing the EGS client on Steam Deck is going to be an unacceptable customer experience because of how integrated the Steam UI is to navigating the system.

TioChuck

More Yellow 🤷‍♂️
Dec 31, 2018
Bare in mind that this tests are raw, once the public gets they hands on it, we gonna see countless tweaks to maximize battery life to performance for every individual game, this thing is a beast, the 25 gonna be something else.

Pommes

Hey you! Have a nice day!
Jun 4, 2019
I would assume that it is hard (impossible) to combat cheating in the case that a cheater use a specially compiled kernel. That thing is easier on Windows where you only have one target.
Therfore I don't really see a burn here...

The first tests of the Steam Deck look nice :awwblob:

• This!
Reactions: Amzin

low-G

old school cool
Nov 1, 2018
Anyone dare to broach how well Switch emulation works on the Deck?

Potentially highly amusing situation possible.

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
I've now gone through the two Linus videos, the Gamers Nexus video and the one by Phawx. All great coverage and, interestingly enough, all of you cover similar ground but also play to your strengths. Good to see considering the embargo is currently still pretty strict about what you can and cannot cover.

If any of you haven't yet, I'd recommend watching them all.

Better than the Switch - if not now, then later I'm sure.
I'm willing to bet it's already in a very good state. While I don't really have much of an interest in emulation, I hope the Steam Deck is the Switch Pro that Nintendo fans wished Nintendo had released.

All I want to do at this point is fire my Steam Deck up and play some Tetris Effect.