|OT| Valve's Steam Deck - OLED refresh shipping to folks

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018

Hi all,

Hope everyone’s doing well – 10 days and counting until launch day! We have some exciting news to share. If you watched our Take a look inside Steam Deck video (aka the “please don’t do this” video), you may remember we said certain Steam Deck replacement parts would be available for purchase.

Today, we’re announcing that iFixit will be one of the authorized sellers of Steam Deck replacement parts – as well as replacement parts for the Valve Index VR kit. We are still hammering out the details, and will be sharing more info on this soon.

And in case you missed it, don’t forget to check out iFixit’s teardown of Steam Deck just posted today.

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Is there an actual reason why they glued down the battery that hard?
Seems like the one thing that just completely goes against the rest of design in terms of modularity/replaceability.

Reactions: Durante

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I also wondered about this. As you say, it seems extremely unlikely that they made it harder to repair just for shits and giggles, given the way everything else is engineered.

My best guess would be that due to its weight and, well, potential volatility any other method to mount it would be either not sufficiently secure (we know that they did extensive drop testing etc.) or take up more space and/or weight.

ExistentialThought

Coffee Lover ♥☕
Feb 29, 2020
Is there an actual reason why they glued down the battery that hard?
Seems like the one thing that just completely goes against the rest of design in terms of modularity/replaceability.
My only guess is since the battery is an l-shape, only connected via ribbon cable, and sits in a plastic housing not 100% snuggly. They did not want it to rattle around and possibly come loose/disconnected or damage any other components around it from movement

Edit: Also using any lightweight glues or adhesives would likely still be a point of failure given the higher temps. That really only leaves a snug fitting plastic mount (not good if the battery ever expanded) or higher strength adhesives that can weather heat, which seems like what they went with

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
What's the name of the SD Cards the Deck use ? Or class of SD Card, you catch my drift.
The release is soon enough now to check the prices.

MomoVideo

ķ͕͕̍̅͋ḭ̼͂̕lļ͓̞̙̀͗͆̊ ͉͛m͕̲̮̆̒̐̍͢e ͠
Apr 5, 2021
I seemed to recall a specific type/class for the best speed, is it what UHS-I refers to ?

Oh and what on earth do I buy to dock it ?
Buy a Samsung Evo SD Card and you're set. They aren't expensive, they are durable and fast enough for Steam Deck. As for the dock, whatever USB-C dock you get should work. It would be best however to find a USB-C dock with external power so it can also charge SD.

Minsc

Aug 7, 2021
Neat, so enabling FSR adds about an hour give or take to the battery life (close to doubling it in some cases) and may or may not actually improve the look of the game (probably not but Control looks better according to the video).

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
Streamed Mass Effect 2 to my phone yesterday. Image looked oversaturated and it turned out, despite me playing it on my phone, the game had turned HDR on because my TV is HDR enabled. As far as I’m aware there’s no way to turn this feature off.

Reason 10m why in-home streaming for PC is just not fit for purpose. Bring on the Steam Deck so I don’t have to put up with this crap.

Last edited:
Reactions: Li Kao and lashman

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Streamed Mass Effect 2 to my phone yesterday. Image looked oversaturated and it turned out, despite me playing it on my phone, the game had turned HDR on because my TV is HDR enabled. As far as I’m aware there’s no way to turn this feature off.

Reason 10m why in-home streaming for PC is just not fit for purpose. Bring on the Steam Deck so I don’t have to put up with this crap.
Oh yeah, Windows and HDR, a gift that keeps on giving. I streamed Muramasa (VN) to my iPad. Well, I launched it. Then had to close it because Win streamed the HDR picture with completely fucked up brightness.
It's an understandable issue, but yeah, this sort of shit spoils the fun when it happens on the regular..

Reactions: C-Dub

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
Do you think that Valve should mandate a Deck verified result for all Steam releases going forward? VR excluded of course.

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
Do you think that Valve should mandate a Deck verified result for all Steam releases going forward? VR excluded of course.
Nah, I think that then just pointlessly becomes a Tim Sweeney bitching point.

Developers should be encouraged to be Deck Verified because it’ll be good for their customers and lead to more sales, not because Valve mandates it.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
No -- I think Steam has done really well with being as open as possible, and Valve should continue in that same fashion.

That said, I do think they should encourage Steam Deck verified status. The way the Deck default view only shows verified games is a pretty good start, though of course the power of that will depend on the number of Decks sold. It probably helps in this regard that the people initially buying the Deck are probably mostly also the same people buying dozens of games a year :p

I think if the Deck is at least moderately successful that will already be enough of an impetus for most developers that could feasibly be reached (there will always be the K-Ts of the world).

If there's one thing that I think Valve could consider making mandatory it's cloud save support (not the fancy new dynamic one, but the standard one you can do without any code changes). Or at least force those who don't implement it to justify to Valve why they didn't .

Minsc

Aug 7, 2021
I'm more curious if Steam Deck's success/existence will push Steam OS on non Steam Deck devices like normal desktops and other handhelds. It'd be neat to see Steam OS become something almost mandatory to support that can't be ignored when releasing on PCs.

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
Oh yeah, Windows and HDR, a gift that keeps on giving. I streamed Muramasa (VN) to my iPad. Well, I launched it. Then had to close it because Win streamed the HDR picture with completely fucked up brightness.
It's an understandable issue, but yeah, this sort of shit spoils the fun when it happens on the regular..
It’s just one of a number of issues that has rendered IHS on PC (Windows specifically) a failure. You can’t even turn your monitor off or change channel/input on your TV to stream a game with many displays. It’s absurd.

No joke, if Steam Deck wasn’t a thing I’d probably be building a 720p/1080p capable headless gaming PC (probably virtualised in my Unraid server) exclusively for streaming PC games. That’s how dreadful the experience can be.

Reactions: Li Kao

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
He said on discord that he borked his Steam Deck and had to wipe it and he didn't back up his scripts so I imagine we'll have to wait a while longer. His other Steam Deck has Windows on it.
What about the 3rd one?

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!!!!!

Now in a more serious tone, do you think this last batch of unsupported games is likely a problem caused by the latest Proton 7 version? it would make sense to think that perhaps some incompatibilities are coming from this side, for example, why would a very "simple" game such as Story of Seasons or Ghost of a Tale be unsupported if it wasn't something "funny" inside the latest proton version?

What do you think?

Last edited:
Reactions: Pommes

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Now in a more serious tone, do you think this last batch of unsupported games is likely a problem caused by the latest Proton 7 version? it would make sense to think that perhaps some incompatibilities are coming from this side, for example, why would a very "simple" game such as Story of Seasons or Ghost of a Tale be unsupported if it wasn't something "funny" inside the latest proton version?

What do you think?
It's hard to speculate with so little information. Something I noted about the ProtonDB page of Ghost of a Tale (which has a Gold rating there) is that quite a few reports there complain about bad performance. Maybe due to some bugs in the current Proton version, it runs incredibly poorly on the Deck, and thus it's still marked as unsupported?

Either way, I'm not too worried long term. Even if Proton isn't yet in a great shape for lots of popular games when the Deck launches, I'm sure Valve will continue working on this, as they have a vested interest in making sure Linux becomes a viable platform to run Steam games on. I believe this is much more important to them than the success of the Deck itself, even.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
for example, why would a very "simple" game such as Story of Seasons or Ghost of a Tale be unsupported if it wasn't something "funny" inside the latest proton version?
I think I touched on this a few months back, but looking at the apparent "complexity" of a game (i.e. in terms of how high-end the engine is) is not necessarily a good way to judge how well it will run in Proton.

That complexity does not have to indicate how many of the obscure corners of the massive Windows API surface it touches, or what patent-encumbered AV formats it features. For example, it's at least as likely for some new high-end game on Unreal or Unity or another common engine to be supported flawlessly on day 1 compared to some older Japanese game based on a custom engine.

Pommes

Hey you! Have a nice day!
Jun 4, 2019
Story of Seasons currently does have a platin rating on ProtonDB. In this case it might indeed be a problem that was introduced in the latest Proton version.

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
If you go to the SteamDB page for SoS: Friends of Mineral Town you can see that for the Deck checklist it looks like it’s flagged as requiring a keyboard to run. I might be misinterpreting, but it sounds like that might be the issue since it’s a Deck specific problem that’s unrelated to how compatible it is under Proton.

Reactions: Pommes

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
If you go to the SteamDB page for SoS: Friends of Mineral Town you can see that for the Deck checklist it looks like it’s flagged as requiring a keyboard to run. I might be misinterpreting, but it sounds like that might be the issue since it’s a Deck specific problem that’s unrelated to how compatible it is under Proton.
Wouldn't requiring keybaord just make it flagged as playable instead of unsupported. Needing to manually bring up the onscreen keyboard was listed as one of the reasons game might miss the "verified" label.

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
Wouldn't requiring keybaord just make it flagged as playable instead of unsupported. Needing to manually bring up the onscreen keyboard was listed as one of the reasons game might miss the "verified" label.
That makes sense. In the comments on ProtonDB it seems like the configuration tool (which presumably requires the keyboard) is also wonky. Could be that also tripped the screening process.

Mor

Sep 7, 2018
I think I touched on this a few months back, but looking at the apparent "complexity" of a game (i.e. in terms of how high-end the engine is) is not necessarily a good way to judge how well it will run in Proton.

That complexity does not have to indicate how many of the obscure corners of the massive Windows API surface it touches, or what patent-encumbered AV formats it features. For example, it's at least as likely for some new high-end game on Unreal or Unity or another common engine to be supported flawlessly on day 1 compared to some older Japanese game based on a custom engine.
Don't get me wrong, what I meant is that most of the unsupported games from the last batch had a good rating on ProtonDB even with vanilla Proton (no GE needed) so I thought it would make sense to point Proton 7 as the reason why the are likely not running right now (some)

Yaska

"It depends" - Every lawyer ever,
Dec 18, 2018
So Ys IX is listed as unsupported on Deck, wonder why this is considering posts and pics here :eek:

• Sad
  • Eyes
Reactions: Aiii and Mor

Mor

Sep 7, 2018
So Ys IX is listed as unsupported on Deck, wonder why this is considering posts and pics here :eek:
Yeah, it was weird to see that one in particular but I do think it will get fixed, as you said, we saw Ys IX running on Deck, perhaps it needs some tweaks here and there.

Speaking of playable-
This is nice!

Kinthalis

Feb 18, 2022
I think just having a badge there of incompatibility is probably motivation enough.

People, do we know anything about the expected release batches for the Deck? Like how often they will be getting shipped and how large the shipments will be?

Reactions: LEANIJA and lashman