|OT| Valve's Steam Deck - OLED refresh shipping to folks

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
Oh, that's a pity. I guess it makes sense that it still can be marked as verified in that case, but a "docked experience" would suffer big time.
Yeah it won't negate the "Verified" status because Valve will add an option to disable the internal controls for such cases. There are still many features that haven't been implemented yet but are in the pipeline, I imagine it will be added as soon as the official dock becomes available.

Reactions: derFeef

derFeef

Cthulhu dreams.
Apr 17, 2019
AUT
Yeah it won't negate the "Verified" status because Valve will add an option to disable the internal controls for such cases. There are still many features that haven't been implemented yet but are in the pipeline, I imagine it will be added as soon as the official dock becomes available.
One would hope. I would also like to have exclusive M+KB controls when I have those connected - which hopefully will happen with what you just posted. Fingers crossed it's not too long.

Reactions: Alexandros

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
I'm more and more in the mood for some weeby JRPG. Really annoyed that Nocturne and Golden are unsupported. I know that there are ways around, but will they be playable on the deck all the way remains to be seen.

derFeef

Cthulhu dreams.
Apr 17, 2019
AUT
Weird, Warframe worked before, now it sometimes crashes upon launch and I have no sound in game anymore.
I tried Experimental Proton and 7.0-1 with the same result.

• Sad
Reactions: Pommes and LEANIJA

MomoVideo

ķ͕͕̍̅͋ḭ̼͂̕lļ͓̞̙̀͗͆̊ ͉͛m͕̲̮̆̒̐̍͢e ͠
Apr 5, 2021
One would hope. I would also like to have exclusive M+KB controls when I have those connected - which hopefully will happen with what you just posted. Fingers crossed it's not too long.
IIRC there is already an option to change which controller acts as first controller in Steam Overlay which should fix external controller not working.

• This!
Reactions: lashman

jads653

MetaMember
Oct 18, 2021
Utrecht, Netherlands

Seems that WIndows on SteamDeck is a 2nd class citizen compared to SteamOS at the moment. Hopefully with new drivers it can get better for those that want to run Gamepass games / non supported anti cheat games. Looking forward to some more benchmarks though.

derFeef

Cthulhu dreams.
Apr 17, 2019
AUT
IIRC there is already an option to change which controller acts as first controller in Steam Overlay which should fix external controller not working.
I tried that but sadly it did not work. Also tried rebooting and relaunching the game after setting the controller.
The Steam menu shows "Controller 1" and the Xbox overlay/config, but the game still won't recognize it.

derFeef

Cthulhu dreams.
Apr 17, 2019
AUT
Just played an hour of Shadow Warrior 3 on the Deck and it's a lot of fun, runs well enough I feel.
But damn, after a session of that - if you touch another controller, your phone, or the mouse even - everything feels TINY for a short period of time.
Certainly feeling some new muscles in my hand and even arms, joints also still adjusting. Not going to overdo it as I don't want to develop some issues there.

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
winning by 1 FPS really just means it's a wash. Which is pretty impressive since the SteamOS one needs to run through Proton. I would generally expect Proton to be slower by up to 10%, anything below that is mighty impressive
In DX12 and Vulkan games the perf difference seems to be pretty much in the error margins.
DX11 games (and I imagine DX9 too) are probably closer to 10%-15%. Last I checked anyway.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
How the fuck do you access the SDcard ?
I mean, when setting up BSNES I need a location, but it seems not accessible ? It is in /run/media/ yadayada, but there is no /media in /run when you try to assign a path in the emulator.

In a random Gaming on Linux tutorial there is this line that is all kind of troubling. It may have nothing to do with my issue but...
'As for the SD Card, that cannot be access by default with this method as Proton runs inside a container. However, you can tell it to allow it by adding this as a launch option in the right click -> Properties section of the shortcut'

And I have quasi no shader options. This is gonna be a long morning, any help appreciated.

Sweety baby jesus, if I can't use the sdcard for emulation, it's useless.

Last edited:
  • Sad

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
BTW, a tip for file sharing with Windows and the Deck: activate File Sharing within Windows, share* whichever folder you want to access, open up Dolphin (the KDE file manager), select Networks and navigate to it. Needs to be in the same network, of course, but for me that process was super easy when I tried it out yesterday (for file transfer between my Linux laptop and my Windows PC – dont have the Dock yet, but the process will be the same)

* just keep in mind everyone in the same network will then be able to access that folder (if they know its there, of course).

Reactions: Mivey and derFeef

derFeef

Cthulhu dreams.
Apr 17, 2019
AUT
BTW, a tip for file sharing with Windows and the Deck: activate File Sharing within Windows, share* whichever folder you want to access, open up Dolphin (the KDE file manager), select Networks and navigate to it. Needs to be in the same network, of course, but for me that process was super easy when I tried it out yesterday (for file transfer between my Linux laptop and my Windows PC – dont have the Dock yet, but the process will be the same)

* just keep in mind everyone in the same network will then be able to access that folder (if they know its there, of course).
Should the folder appear under Shared Folders in Dolphin, or do I need to type in the address manually?

jads653

MetaMember
Oct 18, 2021
Utrecht, Netherlands

Too bad KDE connect and Samba are not available on steam deck without fidling around; For the other way around (Windows PC to SteamDeck) use Warpinator Here's how to transfer files from your PC to a Steam Deck

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
Should the folder appear under Shared Folders in Dolphin, or do I need to type in the address manually?
Too bad KDE connect and Samba are not available on steam deck without fidling around; For the other way around (Windows PC to SteamDeck) use Warpinator Here's how to transfer files from your PC to a Steam Deck
Normally it would be just there, but I guess if Samba (the network sharing protocol) doesn't work by default on the deck then im out of ideas until i have the deck myself -- sorry! I was just basing my post on linux, didn't think it would be different on SteamOS.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Hopefully this works for you:
But there are already launch options by default when youadd a game to steam. How do I mix the two ?
For citra, and I suppose the other emus, it’s ‘ run - -branch=stable - -arch=x86_64 - -command=citra-qt - -file-forwarding org.citra_emu.citra @@ @@ ‘

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
That’s it, I quit, the Deck beat me. The experience was so trash that I regret being probably out of the refund period.
General instability with occasional crash. This fucking container shit that regularly make the correct locations disappear.
And now RetroArch. Retroarch should have a special place in hell.
Those gigantic morons decided that if you push B two times in a row you quit the emulator. I swapped B and A because it was doing a number on my mind. I unchecked the push two times to quit, because I’m sane. But RetroArch gonna RetroArch and it meant only one button press needed to quit, the button I have to use to confirm things.

At this point I really don’t know if I’m tired or even sane, but the whole UX is an industrial fire as soon as you try to use something other than plain games.

meschio94

Aug 21, 2021
Im on Manjaro (which is also Arch-based like SteamOS), it worked out of the box there...
Hm :/ weird. Im sorry if I've given false hope
My experience is different, kde connect is better for sharing file in a lan for a noob user from my perspective

Reactions: LEANIJA

jads653

MetaMember
Oct 18, 2021
Utrecht, Netherlands
Normally it would be just there, but I guess if Samba (the network sharing protocol) doesn't work by default on the deck then im out of ideas until i have the deck myself -- sorry! I was just basing my post on linux, didn't think it would be different on SteamOS.
I was pretty much surprised myself when I was playing around with SteamOS. No Samba, no KDE connect. Thankfully Warpinator works fine but I hope at least KDE Connect gets added. (Such a handy piece of software.)

Those gigantic morons decided that if you push B two times in a row you quit the emulator. I swapped B and A because it was doing a number on my mind. I unchecked the push two times to quit, because I’m sane. But RetroArch gonna RetroArch and it meant only one button press needed to quit, the button I have to use to confirm things.
Fuck RetroArch. The developers are absolutely trashy people. (And that was not the first time shit like that happened). Even on Windows just use the standalone programs. Sorry to hear that you are having such problems with the SteamDeck :(

Reactions: LEANIJA and Li Kao

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Nuking RetroArch .cfg did the trick. Amusingly (?) enough there is no trace of the moronic double press to quit anymore.
So now what ?
Use RetroArch, but I despise them and their UI.
Use linux emulators but Discover doesn’t play well with the sdcard.
Use linux emulators and make them non steam games, but pretty sure I will have sdcard issues with some, like bsnes.
What’s the fucking point with adding an sdcard if you must jump through hoops to access it ?

And let’s not forget that RetroArch, while lead by gigantic fuckers, is super scanlines friendly.

I knew that wanting to set up multiple emus in a day was unreasonable. What I didn’t imagine was that even setting up one would be a pipe dream.

• Sad

jads653

MetaMember
Oct 18, 2021
Utrecht, Netherlands
Nuking RetroArch .cfg did the trick. Amusingly (?) enough there is no trace of the moronic double press to quit anymore.
So now what ?
Use RetroArch, but I despise them and their UI.
Use linux emulators but Discover doesn’t play well with the sdcard.
Use linux emulators and make them non steam games, but pretty sure I will have sdcard issues with some, like bsnes.
What’s the fucking point with adding an sdcard if you must jump through hoops to access it ?

And let’s not forget that RetroArch, while lead by gigantic fuckers, is super scanlines friendly.

I knew that wanting to set up multiple emus in a day was unreasonable. What I didn’t imagine was that even setting up one would be a pipe dream.
This might be worth a shot ? (Uugh Flatpacks are nice most of the times but geez why is accessing an SDcard so hard....)

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
That’s it, I quit, the Deck beat me. The experience was so trash that I regret being probably out of the refund period.
General instability with occasional crash. This fucking container shit that regularly make the correct locations disappear.

At this point I really don’t know if I’m tired or even sane, but the whole UX is an industrial fire as soon as you try to use something other than plain games.
Sad to hear, Li Kao, really, as I'm exactly in the opposite direction, I have played more in two weeks than in the last 2 months and I feel like I'm more comfortable playing on it than on my PC so yeah, sad to see this hasn't been your experience :crying-face:

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018

RetroArch's UI being complete trash is pretty much a universal complaint, even if I found their Steam app to be at least remotely more useable than their previous one which imitated the PS3 home screen.

Sad to hear the Deck is giving you a hard time with compatibility. At least you shouldn't have a hard time getting your money back if you are ok with reselling it.

• Evil
Reactions: prudis

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Is B really quit by default in RA? I don't use it via Steam but I'm always up to date in version number and it's always been double pressing Esc only with no such gamepad shortcut enabled by default that I can see (but you can easily make button combos for it). For the menu looking like the PS3/PSP's you were always able to use the one you prefer even before it was made to be the default option by just selecting it, xmb vs ozone (or others too). And it generally works out well for making it all viable with a controller instead of requiring mouse/keyboard for most everything like other emus (after setting up your folders and bios files and what not in your OS as usual). Sure, I too had trouble the first time I tried RA because it's just so different to what I was used to but now that I know it just as well (after initially only getting into it just because EmuVR required it, now I don't even use EmuVR much because it's so janky but I'm glad it introduced me to RA), if there's a core on par then it's my go to (so basically I only use Dolphin and PCSX2 - or dabbling in newer system emulators like RPCS3 and such - outside RA for now), it's pretty great. I guess I'd also use mame stand alone but I've just replaced it with using FBN, sure it supports way less systems and games technically (then again I never got stuff like newer 3D games to work good in mame anyway) but it's much easier to configure and play and has proper input configuration in RA that's great. I can imagine it being a bigger pain for people coming into it to work off full game collections as it'd take ages to scan and import everything but it's probably still worth it overall and for someone like me as I only get the games I want to play for most systems and some must haves on top and only work off a full romset for FBN (and set about 100 favorites for the arcade games I'm likely to actually play occasionally) it's great even without getting into advanced customizations and covers and all the things people do to jazz up their interface, all default and plain as most everything else I use. For the Deck maybe you could switch to the phone/tablet glui menu, I find that pretty decent on my phone (and love I just copy over the system files from PC).

Last edited:

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
I will give the emu guide a good look, thanks.
So being less ambitious and simply trying to use bsnes.

Install via discover
Make it a non steam game
Launch game mode, specify that I want to use the right trackpad as a mouse, specify that I want right trackpad click as left mouse click
Launch bsnes
Upper setting columns are buggy (when entering a sub column the main one disappear)
Try setting up hotkeys
Profit

And by profit I mean the emulator windows is in fullscreen but doesn’t scale well and I can’t fucking leave the menu.

I’m livid.
I’m totally expecting some dumb error on my part, but at this point and this level of trainwreck something is really wrong.

Edit
Oh yeah, in desktop mode it works, but you can kiss goodbye to the trackpads.

-

Citra

Same procedure
Launch
Click ant important menu like install cia or launch file
Profit

Where Profit = nothing happen and the emu freezes

Last edited:

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Tried Golden which is supposed to work with Proton GE 7.8, and as expected it doesn’t launch. To be fair it launches on Experimental.
Tried Nocturne, launched after a few versions of Proton were tried. Opening movie is all kind of borked tough. The catch ? The butt of this fucking joke of a day and why I will try very hard to forget it and give the Deck another chance ? The game disappeared from my ‘Installed’ section. It was still installed, just not listed.
Verifying files didn’t do shit.

Oh and half of what I do on this thing is borked, I swear valve virtual keyboard works. Sometimes. I regularly can’t delete a miss typed character and you better type fast, because for whatever reason when I tried looking for protonup-qt, I definitely put the P, then the R, only to discover that the R replaced the P.

I swear this is my dream machine and I want to love it. And I know time and patchs will do wonders. But today ? It was a 500 euros paperweight.

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Tried Golden which is supposed to work with Proton GE 7.8, and as expected it doesn’t launch. To be fair it launches on Experimental.
Tried Nocturne, launched after a few versions of Proton were tried. Opening movie is all kind of borked tough. The catch ? The butt of this fucking joke of a day and why I will try very hard to forget it and give the Deck another chance ? The game disappeared from my ‘Installed’ section. It was still installed, just not listed.

Oh and half of what I do on this thing is borked, I swear valve virtual keyboard works. Sometimes. I regularly can’t delete a miss typed character and you better type fast, because for whatever reason when I tried looking for protonup-qt, I definitely put the P, then the R, only to discover that the R replaced the P.

I swear this is my dream machine and I want to love it. And I know time and patchs will do wonders. But today ? It was a 500 euros paperweight.
Maybe play some verified games first? There are tons of great games that are verified now. Let's leave the tinkering to others and developers for now.

Also I am playing Persona 4 now. Of course not on the Deck, but it is still a great game.

Reactions: lashman and Li Kao

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
So if it works on Experimental, then what is the great problem? What little I played of 4 it seems like a pretty fun and addicting game.

Jav

Question everything, learn nothing
Sep 17, 2019

You seem to want to use the Deck for either things it's not yet prepared to do fully or for things that need some tinkering. I understand getting frustrated but if that was what you wanted from the machine you kinda need to have realistic expectations.

For real, try some verified games, have a more smooth experience and then after that break try some more tinkering stuff, because right now it seems you are into a frustration loop and looking for reasons to dislike it.

derFeef

Cthulhu dreams.
Apr 17, 2019
AUT
So if I set a game's compatibility to Proton Experimental and that game updates like a 2GB update - Is that Proton a tailored version for that game or a general Proton update? It's also again processing shaders now (Warframe), and it takes ages, lol. I wish there would be some transparency what's updated etc.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
So if it works on Experimental, then what is the great problem? What little I played of 4 it seems like a pretty fun and addicting game.
The big problem, or more appropriately the puzzling shit, is that I followed what the person from Gaming on Linux did in his video. To follow what is done in front of you, only to see that you get a totally different result is all kinds of WHAT ? And my main gripe was next, the disappearing Nocturne.
Though you all are obviously right. I particularly nodded when Jav wrote of a frustration loop, it’s the perfect description.

To be honest, I don’t really give a shit about unsupported games being unsupported, shocking, although those really are games I would love to play on the Deck. My main gripe is with bsnes and the like, I feel like shit being unable to run something so trivial. And more than feeling bad, there is always the fear of having some issues. My purchase is fresh.

-

That being said, and while my frustration is legit imho, talk about your use of the Deck people ! Take a break from playing to tell us about your experience.
I’m sure it would be interesting and could give the others ideas for what to play or do.
Nothing against them, well the good ones at least, but it’s also frustrating to only have youtubers talking about it. I want to know what you are doing with… your… oh, this unfortunate name… Deck.

Reactions: lashman and Cacher

undu

Mar 17, 2019
So if I set a game's compatibility to Proton Experimental and that game updates like a 2GB update - Is that Proton a tailored version for that game or a general Proton update? It's also again processing shaders now (Warframe), and it takes ages, lol. I wish there would be some transparency what's updated etc.
It's a general version that has experimental fixes, such as fixes for certain games: Changelog · ValveSoftware/Proton Wiki
But there are already launch options by default when youadd a game to steam. How do I mix the two ?
For citra, and I suppose the other emus, it’s ‘ run --branch=stable - -arch=x86_64 - -command=citra-qt - -file-forwarding org.citra_emu.citra @@ @@ ‘
I think this should work STEAM_COMPAT_MOUNTS=/the/path/to/sd run --branch=stable --arch=x86_64 --command=citra-qt --file-forwarding org.citra_emu.citra @@ @@

I don't have a Deck to test it though ;(

Last edited:

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Ok, new day, new mysteries ! :blobeyes:
Annoying, but more bearable, you were spot on with frustration loop.

So I tinkered again and the linux version of bsnes / citra / pcsx2 and yuzu work ! On the steam side I stopped trying, there is some obvious issues like I said yesterday.
But new mysteries ! More complicated to explain than it really is.

On Shin Megami Tensei 1 (SNES) you have to enter your name at the very start, and the cursor kept moving left or right. I identified the culprit : L2 / R2 act up oddly on the deck. When assigning one of them multiple times it's like they are recognized as the other each other time. Let's say when I push L2 it's recognized as gibberishLO and R2 is gibberishHI. Well if I reassign L2 a second time it's read as gibberishHI.
I nuked this shit and assigned L1 / R1, but still, interesting issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cacher and lashman

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
The big problem, or more appropriately the puzzling shit, is that I followed what the person from Gaming on Linux did in his video. To follow what is done in front of you, only to see that you get a totally different result is all kinds of WHAT ? And my main gripe was next, the disappearing Nocturne.
Though you all are obviously right. I particularly nodded when @Jav wrote of a frustration loop, it’s the perfect description.

To be honest, I don’t really give a shit about unsupported games being unsupported, shocking, although those really are games I would love to play on the Deck. My main gripe is with bsnes and the like, I feel like shit being unable to run something so trivial. And more than feeling bad, there is always the fear of having some issues. My purchase is fresh.
I can see how fiddling with Linux things can be really annoying if you aren't used to things. The Deck being a completely novel distro (essentially) also doesn't help, since you can't find many guides to help you.
I imagine this will get much better as more people get to use the Deck, but of course little help for you here and now.
I'm confused that RetroArch doesn't manage to give you a decent integer scaling, that seems like a downright bug.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
I can see how fiddling with Linux things can be really annoying if you aren't used to things. The Deck being a completely novel distro (essentially) also doesn't help, since you can't find many guides to help you.
I imagine this will get much better as more people get to use the Deck, but of course little help for you here and now.
I'm confused that RetroArch doesn't manage to give you a decent integer scaling, that seems like a downright bug.
To be fair I acknowledge that I'm quite grumpy these days :anguished-face:

But you guess right when you say linux file system is a shock at first. And while I will not dare complain about it, the fact that we are still around 1000 to have the Deck doesn't help either. You can't really google things and obtain a solution in a snap.

And to be precise, I'm trying to do without RetroArch. RA gave me some control issues yesterday but it's more of a 'if I can avoid it due to project lead' thing...
I should retry it, as much as I hate some things like their UI and the drama, the handling of scanlines is painless.
No, my scaling issues happen in the BSNES app when launching it as a non steam game.

• Hug
Reactions: Mivey and lashman

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
To be fair I acknowledge that I'm quite grumpy these days :anguished-face:

But you guess right when you say linux file system is a shock at first. And while I will not dare complain about it, the fact that we are still around 1000 to have the Deck doesn't help either. You can't really google things and obtain a solution in a snap.

And to be precise, I'm trying to do without RetroArch. RA gave me some control issues yesterday but it's more of a 'if I can avoid it due to project lead' thing...
I should retry it, as much as I hate some things like their UI and the drama, the handling of scanlines is painless.
No, my scaling issues happen in the BSNES app when launching it as a non steam game.
the file system on the Deck is even more confusing than it would usually be ;)
my Linux laptop, for example, just has two partitions, the deck has several. i only took a short glance into the desktop side of things and decided not to mess with any of that right now :) unless someone needs help with something, of course, then i can take a look

speaking of, i looked into the file sharing thing, and indeed my Windows PC shows up under Networks in Dolphin, but I cannot access my shared drive like I would on my Linux laptop – heres hoping Valve will unlock/add more functionality along the way. My guess is that they wanted to keep the install size as small as possible (so the 64GB version can still install some games) and therefore didnt include a bunch of stuff a regular Linux distribution would have.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
I installed RetroArch.
I copied the cores I need in 'cores'
I copied the info files in, duh, 'info'
I created the file tree for the ps2 bios

And now I'm terrified, I could bet everything is gonna gloriously crash :face-with-stuck-out-tongue-and-tightly-closed-eyes:

-

Good old trash fire. So firstly this RA is setup up as to mix cores and info files in the same directory. Don't try to understand.
Then even when mixing the two kind of files I only have access to my DLC cores.
And then I notice the path to the directory goes through .local, a hidden directory. I can't even correct the path, it's fucking hidden to RA.
Is this somehow why my cores are not detected ? Not sure, need more rhum.

-

I think I will try the linux version and make it a non steam game. If it works it will be superior to the steam version anyway.

Last edited:

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
I installed RetroArch.
I copied the cores I need in 'cores'
I copied the info files in, duh, 'info'
I created the file tree for the ps2 bios

And now I'm terrified, I could bet everything is gonna gloriously crash :face-with-stuck-out-tongue-and-tightly-closed-eyes:

-

Good old trash fire. So firstly this RA is setup up as to mix cores and info files in the same directory. Don't try to understand.
Then even when mixing the two kind of files I only have access to my DLC cores.
And then I notice the path to the directory goes through .local, a hidden directory. I can't even correct the path, it's fucking hidden to RA.
Is this somehow why my cores are not detected ? Not sure, need more rhum.

-

I think I will try the linux version and make it a non steam game. If it works it will be superior to the steam version anyway.
One nice benefit the Steam version of RA has is that it syncs save games between devices, so you could go back and forth between Deck and your PC, and even recover save games from Steam Cloud years later.

But I also don't understand how the addition of cores really works, it feels very flimsy and once a core I had manually installed was added as a DLC, and after switching to this "official version", it just completely stopped working. I think it's best to stick to RA's official cores for the Steam version and don't touch anything else.

Reactions: Li Kao and lashman