|OT| Valve's Steam Deck - OLED refresh shipping to folks

sprinkles

Dec 8, 2018
I found a small bug on my Deck: I do not have sound effects playing for system level notifications while in-game (so Friends coming online, Friends joining a game, Screenshots, Achievements). I tested all the sound settings for the notifications. But disabling the sounds just turns them off completely. Having all enabled activates them only when I am not playing any game (you can also hit the screenshot button combination while not in a game, that's how I noticed it).
Is anyone else having this issue?

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I started with Ys IX now which is "Unsupported" but thanks to Durante's hints I only added "PROTON_NO_ESYNC=1 PROTON_NO_FSYNC=1 %command%" as a launch option and the game runs perfect (60 fps, with small dips in combat).
Nice! I tested like that for a few hours and ran into no problems.

Elden Ring is the main reason why I dont play more on the Deck yet. I mean, I played some Elden Ring on it already, but its better suited for a bigger screen.
Same for me. I still play Elden Ring every minute that I have to play a game. and I rather do that on my full PC. That said, I'm certain I'll be back to playing things on the Deck as soon as that is done -- it already helped me complete more single-player games since I got the devkit than I did in all of 2021 before that. ER is an aberration :p

I found a small bug on my Deck: I do not have sound effects playing for system level notifications while in-game (so Friends coming online, Friends joining a game, Screenshots, Achievements). I tested all the sound settings for the notifications. But disabling the sounds just turns them off completely. Having all enabled activates them only when I am not playing any game (you can also hit the screenshot button combination while not in a game, that's how I noticed it).
I know that I had achievement and screenshot sound effects in-game a few weeks ago. I haven't tested it on the current SW.

Eternia

Feb 28, 2022
I didn't extensively test this but I definitely haven't heard any achievement sound effects (or anything else but I disabled most notifications early due to the small visible space) in-game. One time I did try a game on a different account but had an existing save already on the Deck. Popped a bunch of achievements that appeared one at a time. Left the game in the middle of all of that happening and absolutely noticed sound effects for it within SteamOS.

Reactions: ExistentialThought

dfghstrbght

May 10, 2019
is the codecs video issue fixed on the beta branch? playing through remote play to work around games with that issue so far has been an exercise in frustration since the audio randomly comes from either the pc speakers or the deck speakers.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
Has anyone got Moonlight working on Steam Deck? I prefer to use it to Steam Remote Play for a variety of reasons (the main one being that I don't launch all my games through Steam, so Steam Input can be hit or miss with non-Steam games in such a scenario) so I'd quite like to be able to just launch into Moonlight and use that to Stream games to my future Q2 Deck.

dfghstrbght

May 10, 2019
Ok i think i managed to fix this crapshoot looking at the audio mixer I found Steam Streaming Speakers, my assumption is that Steam should swap to that in order to stream audio to the deck (or whatever device you're using) except for reason I cannot fathom that is not happening.
I added Steam Streaming Speakers to SoundSwitch now and I'm now swapping to that audio output before launching a Remote Play session, and now audio is working with 100% consistency.

So in case anyone get this problem during remote play just manually swap to Steam Streaming Audio on your PC before launching a remote play session.
I also noticed that Steam swaps back to another audio output if you have multiple outputs connected, in my case every time I exit remote play it swaps back to my PC headphones on its own and I gotta swap it back to Steam Streaming Audio manually before another remote play session.

Last edited:
Reactions: LEANIJA

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
I haven't updated about mine in quite some time but, what can I tell you, right? I just started my third game, so far I have beaten 2 games which is already more than I played last month, Deck has been the change I needed to boost my playtime comfortably and mixing PC and handheld for different goals, absolutely amazing and GLADLY, not a single problem (except a weird bug that makes trackpads motors to run on the boot sequence but nothing wrong there) so I'm extremely happy.

GODDAMN, I love this thing.

sprinkles

Dec 8, 2018
I wanted to replay Sleeping Dogs on Steam Deck, but apparently I do not own the Definitive Edition. Because it was never available in Germany :negative-blob: Ah well, let's hope the normal version is playable too.
Talking about playable, Proton GE 7.10 just released and it fixes the videos for Persona 5 Strikers (& Nioh 2). Another "Unsupported" game I have on my "Deck list" works perfect now - just checked it out for a bit.
Adding a new GE version is laughable simple too, if you have added the app "ProtonUpQt" from the Discover store as a "Non-Steam-Game" in desktop mode, you can start that app in game mode, download the newest ProtonGE version, restart the Deck and now you can select that GE version like you would select Proton Experimental in the game-specific compatibility menu.

madjoki

👀 I see you
Sep 19, 2018
Rough experience continues.

Didn't have time yesterday, but I was playing game on friday and suspended.
Wasn't able to unsuspend this morning. It would just display black screen, some audio would play suggesting it was running. But none of controls responsive. (Including Steam/QAM buttons).

Only solution? Hold power button to turn off.

Well, now it's back to stuck at Loading user data, until it goes to sleep 15min later (and presumably resets the "progress").

madjoki

👀 I see you
Sep 19, 2018
I was able to login with an account that doesn't own games. And even then add my real account and switch to it.

I started bunch of game installs and now UI in some weird state where it accepts input and appears to work, but whatever try to do nothing happens and download isn't progressing despite having remaining time (which staying same is why I realized it got stuck).

Only solution seemingly being hard power off again.

dfghstrbght

May 10, 2019
I wonder why they released this thing in this state, might have delayed the release until the dock was ready as well for that matter.

Would have given them time to also verify more games.

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
The issues being reported go far beyond "coming in hot". This sort of release state for a hardware product is unacceptable in my opinion. When reviewers said that the product was unfinished and buggy I thought they they were talking about missing features and glitches, not boot loops, total system crashes and failures to even boot.

Back when Steam Deck was about to launch most of us thought that the press would be somewhat strict towards Valve. It turns out that they were way too lenient. I get that the potential of the hardware is very exciting and that Valve will get it into shape eventually but still, as a customer I am legitimately angry that the device shipped in this state.

Reactions: lashman

Minsc

Aug 7, 2021
Do you think it's bad enough you'd recommend people waiting to cancel their orders and just wait until 2023 or whenever it's all fixed first?

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Do you think it's bad enough you'd recommend people waiting to cancel their orders and just wait until 2023 or whenever it's all fixed first?
Not at all. It's really hot and it shows, but Madjoki's issues seem really extreme. Some light bugs, UI inconsistencies, yeah, but he unfortunately looks like he hit the anti-jackpot.

• Sad
Reactions: prudis and lashman

madjoki

👀 I see you
Sep 19, 2018
Yeah, me & xpaw (who have similar issues) are very extreme.

As much as people complain about steam client, it doesn't really have issues for me. (Since new UI, old UI would crash if you scrolled too fast or too much)

Sleeping seems to be issue if you let it sleep longer. I let it sleep for an hour or two, and it took more tham minute to get device responsive. Audio would start playing near instantly, so presumably game will be running (which maybe problem too, depending on game. so you probably should use games pause too before suspend).

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
To be fair my use is super vanilla and I never tested sleeping with a game on. Maybe their suspend feature has issues ?

Yaska

"It depends" - Every lawyer ever,
Dec 18, 2018
Been playing through Ys 8 on deck a lot (perfect game for Deck btw) and really enjoying my time with it. Biggest fault in the game is that the anime cutscene in beginning eats 20W, a power draw that I've only replicated with Rayman 2 (dunno, don't ask me).

My biggest complaint about Deck is that the fan has a high pitch, annoying but I can live with it.

Reactions: Li Kao

sprinkles

Dec 8, 2018
I had "Verified" games crash on me (like Mark of the Ninja Remastered) while "Unsupported" games run perfectly fine after initial setup (Persona 5 Strikers, Ys IX). Accessing the complete library can hitch a bit, but then so it does on desktop with >2.5k games (that's why I have categories like "Playing Now", "Playing Next" or "Finished in 2022").

The most problems I had while tinkering in Desktop mode - took me forever to gain access to my NAS, had to install a different Onscreen Keyboard because the Steam one is terrible. Game Mode does feel a console like experience for me.

After having to deal with Windows on such a small screen on my Aya Neo, I am more than pleased with SteamOS. Speaking of the Aya Neo, I am still using that as my Emulation system, the setup of Retroarch to finally do what I want took me forever, that is not something I want to repeat on the SteamDeck.

dfghstrbght

May 10, 2019
why can't I bring up the virtual keyboard in desktop mode, what the actual f**k Valve?

This is the shit that annoys me

edit: add to the pile of annoying things the fact that every time I swap to desktop mode until steam boots up the controls don't respond, which I guess it's because they rely on the steam controller (desktop) to function

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: Arc

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
The issues being reported go far beyond "coming in hot". This sort of release state for a hardware product is unacceptable in my opinion. When reviewers said that the product was unfinished and buggy I thought they they were talking about missing features and glitches, not boot loops, total system crashes and failures to even boot.

Back when Steam Deck was about to launch most of us thought that the press would be somewhat strict towards Valve. It turns out that they were way too lenient. I get that the potential of the hardware is very exciting and that Valve will get it into shape eventually but still, as a customer I am legitimately angry that the device shipped in this state.
To be fair, I'm using the Steam Deck 1-2 hours a day since release, and I haven't encountered any critical issues so far. I had one single game that doesn't boot (Neversong) out of 30+ tested, and the only technical issue I have is that I sometimes need to reboot the Deck before searching for system updates works. I've also managed to install Origin by adding the originsetup as non-Steam game.

I definitely don't want to downplay the issues other people are having, but in my personal experience, Valve didn't release a broken product. Let's hope I won't regret writing this within the next few months :p

why can't I bring up the virtual keyboard in desktop mode, what the actual f**k Valve?
You can, but you need to have the desktop version of Steam running. Then press Steam + X to show the virtual keyboard.

edit: add to the pile of annoying things the fact that every time I swap to desktop mode until steam boots up the controls don't respond, which I guess it's because they rely on the steam controller (desktop) to function
The touch pad controls should work. Right pad = LMB, left pad = RMB.

dfghstrbght

May 10, 2019
That’s baffling, but thanks for the reply, managed to install proton ge already by connecting the keyboard

And no touch controls don’t work until steam is booted? It doesn’t matter much it’s 3 seconds but it’s still annoying

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
And no touch controls don’t work until steam is booted? It doesn’t matter much it’s 3 seconds but it’s still annoying
The touch controls work immediately after booting to desktop for me. I don't need to boot Steam first.

Do you have added non-steam apps on the Deck and if so, have you changed their control scheme? If so, try to restore the control scheme to default and see if there's any influence on the desktop mode. I remember reading something about this.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
To be fair, I'm not sure if those are general issues or QA issues (i.e. some units have them and some don't).

I never had boot loops or failures to boot even during the "alpha" phase on my devkit (and maybe 2 total system crashes in >100 hours of use during that time). Tons of other things not working/unfinished, but nothing that severe.

So either
1) they broke something SW-wise and now the shipped state of the software is significantly less stable than the devkit state was.
2) the HW QA was bad and some of the HW shipping is simply insufficiently stable.
3) Devs/press with not too many issues (including me) were just "lucky" in the selection of software we ran.

I'd certainly hope it's not 1), that would be horrible software engineering. 2) would also be bad, but IMHO less problematic in terms of what it means for the overall process, it would "just" mean that the HW QA needs to be improved.

If it's 3), then that's more something that surprises me, because I tested quite a lot of different games, with some more obscure than others. And everything marked as "supported" worked without issues.

Xclash

MetaMember
Dec 13, 2018
No email yet again. My butterfingers that fateful day has cost me weeks without the Steam Deck. Well at least there is no more drama as I should have my email next week.

• Sad
Reactions: C-Dub and lashman

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Finally it worked.
Everything from preordering to actually purchasing this was a miserable experience, but that's in the past now.
Now another wait begins, the wait until it actually ships and arrives :grimacing-face:

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
Finally it worked.
Everything from preordering to actually purchasing this was a miserable experience, but that's in the past now.
Now another wait begins, the wait until it actually ships and arrives :grimacing-face:
Don't worry, using Deck with it's current pre-alpha OS is also a miserable experience.
:winking-face:

derFeef

Cthulhu dreams.
Apr 17, 2019
AUT
Mass Effect Andromeda runs also pretty well with some settings to low, really impressed.
I feel the latest beta update made the thing a bit snappier. Warframe also works again with DX11 at least.

I have to say Dirt Rally 2.0 really blows my mind on the Deck. The sound, the smooth framerate and the visuals - it's outstanding.
It's still on sale for 5€ - I can only recommend it. It's really, really tough though and over 100GB.

Last edited:

Yaska

"It depends" - Every lawyer ever,
Dec 18, 2018
i tried FF8 (original) and it didn't register input whatsoever :D FF7 and 9 work beautifully though.

sprinkles

Dec 8, 2018
Newest system update fixed this problem, Tested with screenshots & achievement - the new sound toast is correctly playing in-game.

derFeef

Cthulhu dreams.
Apr 17, 2019
AUT
I just now tested the external screen again with the latest beta and noticed the Interface is now running at 4K on a 4K TV but boy does it kill the performance. You can't really navigate the menu's with the amount of lag it has. Maybe they can add a resolution switch once the official dock comes out.

I also found the BT connection to be really, really slow and laggy. At least with my tested Series X controllers.

• Sad

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
So I don't know when they changed this (sometime today, I think), but when I look at the Steam Deck store page it now says "Q2 (April-June) 2022" underneath the model I ordered rather than just Q2. It's not like they're providing any new info or clarity - they're just stating what Q2 is.

However, I saw just April at first and my heart nearly skipped a beat.

Fuckin' Valve. I wish they'd narrow down people's dates a bit so we're not hanging on tenterhooks every Monday.