|OT| Valve's Steam Deck - OLED refresh shipping to folks

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
i guess someone at Valve got annoyed about people asking what Q1/Q2/Q3 means
I think many asking just wanted to know if they were April, May or June, not April-June. Making people wait each Monday is bad enough for Q1 folk, who only have to wait in March.

People in the nebulous "Q2" timeframe are going to be going insane every Monday evening for the next 3 months.

• Sad
Reactions: lashman

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
I should play something on the Deck. I don't know what to play on the Deck. Beginning to think this little beauty just exacerbates my choice paralysis.
Emulate Soul Hackers to be ready for the second one in August ? :thinking-face:

Last edited:
  • Comfy
Reactions: lashman and Cacher

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
I should play something on the Deck. I don't know what to play on the Deck. Beginning to think this little beauty just exacerbates my choice paralysis.
Oh no! That sounds worrying. Quick, send it to me to alleviate the symptoms. :ROFLMAO: /jk

I made a Perfect for the Deck category in the library. Slowly adding games into it now. Here are the games inside so far (other than Retroarch):

derFeef

Cthulhu dreams.
Apr 17, 2019
AUT
Currently on my "only playing on Deck" games are.

Warframe.
Dirt 5 / Rally 2.0
Double Dragon Neon (that game rules)
Dysmantle
Darksiders Genesis
Orcs Must Die 3

Those are some "hop in for 10 minutes" games

As mentioned earlier I also play ME: Andromeda, Shadow Warrior 3, Dead Island Riptide but I "main" them on the Desktop PC.

Cacher
I tried Hardspace but I had problems with creating a game and entering your name with the keyboard.

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
Ive been mostly playing Shenzhen Solitaire on the Deck ;)

and also Syberia 4 – but really, all I play is Elden Ring on my laptop

isometric action rpgs, like Tunic, Bastion, Hades or Hob are probably a good choice (or Deaths Door?), jump n runs like Super Meat Boy or They Bleed Pixels.. action- adventures like God of War maybe? anything that plays great with a controller and doesnt need a huge screen :)

To get to grips with the Gyro aiming, Ive heard a great game to start is Portal 2, so I tried that, its kinda weird, but it does work :)

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Ok without tinkering Soul Hackers runs between 45-60 fps, sound wise, it's horrible. Changing resolution scaling doesn't seem to affect image size either.
Are you telling me I will have to play this on real hardware ? I'm, uh, looking for a good game to play on the Deck, not on a 11 years old console.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Ok without tinkering Soul Hackers runs between 45-60 fps, sound wise, it's horrible. Changing resolution scaling doesn't seem to affect image size either.
Are you telling me I will have to play this on real hardware ? I'm, uh, looking for a good game to play on the Deck, not on a 11 years old console.
Are you talking about the first game here, on 3DS? Anything above 10 FPS will be fine, trust me. It's a VN, plus very simple dungeon crawling. Even on real hardware it doesn't feel like it manages 60 FPS, at least it didn't feel very smooth. Just lock it to 30 and call it a day.

Reactions: Li Kao

sprinkles

Dec 8, 2018
Tried out Ys Origin - Unsupported. The Intro Video does not play (black screen), but you can skip it. Game itself runs fine.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Are you talking about the first game here, on 3DS? Anything above 10 FPS will be fine, trust me. It's a VN, plus very simple dungeon crawling. Even on real hardware it doesn't feel like it manages 60 FPS, at least it didn't feel very smooth. Just lock it to 30 and call it a day.
I tried capping it at 30 and the voices are even worse then.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
I tried capping it at 30 and the voices are even worse then.
So it's tied to the framerate then? That's unfortunate of course. Citra is surprisingly taxing on the CPU, so maybe the 2 Ryzen cores of the Deck just don't cut it there.

dfghstrbght

May 10, 2019

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
3DS emulation is still lacking, so I honestly suggest everyone getting a 3DS / 2DS asap. The console and games' prices are hiking.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
3DS emulation is still lacking, so I honestly suggest everyone getting a 3DS / 2DS asap. The console and games' prices are hiking.
Sure, and I just charged the little thing yesterday myself, to leave every possibilities open. But I mean, it did it's time, the yellowy tint of the upper screen on mine is grating, and again personal, there is something eminently idiotic to start a JRPG on a dead portable when you were trying to figure out what to play on your new portable.
And as everything I do has failed lamentably for two days, I nearly bricked my 3DS while updating the firmware. Fixed it, sorta, but it now works only when the SD card is in. Which is not how I would describe as working flawlessly. NOW, there must be a way to fix things, but again, it's a 11 years old portable and I'm conflicted between keeping it for retro gaming and throwing it away.

Basically, I did a booboo to my 3ds and I'm pissed.

Reactions: Cacher

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
That's (usually) not how framerate works in emulation, you'd need to utilize some kind of frameskip setting to have it maintain proper speed/audio in lower fps.

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Sure, and I just charged the little thing yesterday myself, to leave every possibilities open. But I mean, it did it's time, the yellowy tint of the upper screen on mine is grating, and again personal, there is something eminently idiotic to start a JRPG on a dead portable when you were trying to figure out what to play on your new portable.
And as everything I do has failed lamentably for two days, I nearly bricked my 3DS while updating the firmware. Fixed it, sorta, but it now works only when the SD card is in. Which is not how I would describe as working flawlessly. NOW, there must be a way to fix things, but again, it's a 11 years old portable and I'm conflicted between keeping it for retro gaming and throwing it away.

Basically, I did a booboo to my 3ds and I'm pissed.
Wow, absolutely don't throw it away! Replacement parts are easily available for a 3DS so fixing it or selling it online are much better options. If you don't want to bother, maybe just put it away for now. (y)

If the experience is not what you are enjoying, I would say just sticking with the Deck. Being a Deck owner I am sure that you have so many options for what to play next. Personally I would go after some indies or PSP emulation as PSP games should run perfectly on the Deck.

• Hug

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Wow, absolutely don't throw it away! Replacement parts are easily available for a 3DS so fixing it or selling it online are much better options. If you don't want to bother, maybe just put it away for now. (y)

If the experience is not what you are enjoying, I would say just sticking with the Deck. Being a Deck owner I am sure that you have so many options for what to play next. Personally I would go after some indies or PSP emulation as PSP games should run perfectly on the Deck.
Unfortunately it would not be the first hardware I throw out. Not a pleasure but space constraints and moving house are hard to accommodate with old unplugged hardware. Yeah, I'm salty.
But rest assured, I will first spend a couple hours reviewing the jailbreak setup to be certain everything is up to date. The uniqueness of the DS family and its two screens setup make them particularly hard to throw out, even when emulation is good.

• Sad
Reactions: Cacher and lashman

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
For those of you using Heroic to launch EGS games on your Deck, this app will scrape that launcher (and others) and add them as non-Steam shortcuts complete with artwork if you put a SteamGridDB API key in.

Will be useful for Steam Deck owners with fragmented libraries.

Also works on Windows, so should be useful for me when the new Steam Big Picture releases and I attempt to move back to Steam BPM as my 10ft UI.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018

We're adding a new feature to Steam Deck today to support gathering feedback from players by asking direct questions about your experiences. (This is an opt-in feature: we'll ask you once if you're open to answering questions, and you can opt out at any time.)

The initial data we're gathering in this way is about titles that are Steam Deck Verified. We're able to collect objective data (crashes, etc.) to help us understand how well the technical side of our review process is working, but ultimately the Deck compatibility ratings are about the overall experience: the definition of "working well" is succeeding at enabling current and future Deck customers to find the experiences they want. We want to make sure we're doing that, or identify the titles for which your experiences don't match your expectations.

The data collected by this system won't directly change the Deck compatibility category for a title. In other words, we're not crowdsourcing the compatibility testing process, but instead checking in with the crowd to confirm whether the process we've built is enabling the experiences we all want it to.

How It Works

After playing a game on Deck, you may be presented with the question "Can we occasionally ask you for feedback?". Your decision on whether to participate is saved to the new Steam Deck "Ask Me For Feedback" option in your account preferences and can be changed at any time.

Opting in to this system by answering "yes" means that your Deck may start asking you direct questions about your experiences. For example, after playing a Verified title, we may ask you whether that rating matches the experience you just had in the game:

It's been a month since Steam Deck launched, and we're just getting started. As more and more customers get their hands on Deck, the data from those opted-in (combined with all our other feedback and data sources) will help us understand how we can best improve the experience across the board.

madjoki

👀 I see you
Sep 19, 2018
It is big improvement, but still takes plenty of time (like half a minute).

But something good for once: Steam Deck audio quality seems very good compared to other mobile devices. (Fan noise when downloading games is pretty awful though)

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Anyone having tried Ender Lilies on Deck ? It's unsupported but platinum on protondb (very shitty) scale.

PS. What are you playing, people ?

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
Anyone having tried Ender Lilies on Deck ? It's unsupported but platinum on protondb (very shitty) scale.

PS. What are you playing, people ?
Don't have that game so can't test it on the Deck, but if it's platinum on Protondb...
~
I'm just playing Elden Ring
And Shenzhen Solitaire :)

• Hug

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria

This means that Fatal Frame Maiden of Blackwater now works :D
I mean, the videos arent playing, but at least theyre not crashing the game outright like they used to. Which is awesome. Game controls really weird, maybe its better on the Deck (or simply with a controller, I guess), will have to try it there

• Toucan

derFeef

Cthulhu dreams.
Apr 17, 2019
AUT
I am checking the Verified games on the Deck every day and yesterday it got a +25 or so games jump in my Library, damn.
Oblivion now verified, sweet.

But sometimes a game goes from playable with "hard to read text" to verified and there is no change in the game or some update. I wonder why that is. Like for Dysmantle - the text is still very small and I have to use the zoom a lot. Seems weird why it went into verified.

• Sad
Reactions: LEANIJA and lashman

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
So tomorrow we will see if Valve can really ship all remaining Q1 Decks next week, or if they will be forced to push some people into Q2. This will probably indicate how well the production of Decks was able to ramp up over this first month or if they might have been too optimistic about their shipping schedule.

AshenOne

Dec 22, 2018
I feel for you. My Creditcard was declined. Afterwards I tried a different method of payment and my account was flagged for having too many outstanding payments. 1 hour later and I got through. I am in Q2 so I have to wait and see.
Where are you from? Usually credit cards aren't declined from steam unless they're used from non US/EU countries..

jads653

MetaMember
Oct 18, 2021
Utrecht, Netherlands
Where are you from? Usually credit cards aren't declined from steam unless they're used from non US/EU countries..
Netherlands. I think declined was not the correct word. The payment processor was overloaded so the payment didn't go through. (I tried CC, local payment (Ideal), bank transfer).

AshenOne

Dec 22, 2018
Netherlands. I think declined was not the correct word. The payment processor was overloaded so the payment didn't go through. (I tried CC, local payment (Ideal), bank transfer).
Ah well i think if you just put your funds into steam wallet temporarily and then use those funds to buy stuff on there, thats guaranteed to go through without any friction. Its a headache if steam bars you from paying through CC as it can last for some time.

Last edited:

Aiii

何これ
Oct 14, 2021
I am checking the Verified games on the Deck every day and yesterday it got a +25 or so games jump in my Library, damn.
Oblivion now verified, sweet.

But sometimes a game goes from playable with "hard to read text" to verified and there is no change in the game or some update. I wonder why that is. Like for Dysmantle - the text is still very small and I have to use the zoom a lot. Seems weird why it went into verified.
Maybe it's to do with the feedback system. When you play a game you can give Feedback through the Steam Page afterwards on whether you agree with the assessment made by the Steam Verified program or if you experienced issues, etc. I'm assuming they got a (or multiple) reports from people saying "the text was fine" or maybe even a text-size setting the employee missed and the status getting adjusted as a result of that.

Reactions: Cacher

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
My first disappointment:
I wanted to give Scarlet Nexus a try on the Deck. It is verified. It supposedly has Cloud Saves.
It didn't have my saves on the Deck.
It has them on PC.
It says "Cloud Saves" on the store page.
The only thing saves is the system-save, not your actual game saves.
Thanks for nothing Bamco.

snipe_25

Mar 3, 2022
My first disappointment:
I wanted to give Scarlet Nexus a try on the Deck. It is verified. It supposedly has Cloud Saves.
It has them on PC.
Wait what is a "system-save"? Like preferences? Weird that it advertises Cloud Saves in any case.

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Wait what is a "system-save"? Like preferences? Weird that it advertises Cloud Saves in any case.
Dunno. It's completely useless for actual cloud save usage in any case.
Bah.

I can already see it, Steam Cloud incompetence is going to be the bane of my existence with the deck :negative-blob:

• Sad

derFeef

Cthulhu dreams.
Apr 17, 2019
AUT
Yup, weird cloud save behavior is really bad, especially with the Deck.
X4 does this as well and it clashes with OneDrive sync settings.

Also no cloud save at all... come on. I am looking at you, Crysis Remastered.

• This!
Reactions: Ascheroth

MomoVideo

ķ͕͕̍̅͋ḭ̼͂̕lļ͓̞̙̀͗͆̊ ͉͛m͕̲̮̆̒̐̍͢e ͠
Apr 5, 2021
My first disappointment:
It has them on PC.
Oh no, I recently bought Scarlet Nexus with an intention to play it on both Deck and my laptop :confounded-face:

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Yup, weird cloud save behavior is really bad, especially with the Deck.
X4 does this as well and it clashes with OneDrive sync settings.

Also no cloud save at all... come on. I am looking at you, Crysis Remastered.
devs just don't give a crap

• This!
Reactions: LEANIJA

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
Yay, starting Monday I can be extra disappointed each week waiting for my email! Unless I'm actually in the first wave but I doubt that. Despite being in US and on fiber Steam wanted nothing to do with processing my reservation when it launched. :minos_hd: