|OT| Valve's Steam Deck - OLED refresh shipping to folks

Big_Al

Miserable old git
Jan 22, 2019
Q2 here and looking forward to it, though knowing my luck it'll be the last week in June. Quick question. can you pay for it using your Steam wallet ?

Reactions: lashman

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
i'm 99% sure it will, it's only a matter of time
I do wonder about the "power management" for such potential background functionalities.
I tried allowing background downloads while playing Celeste of all things and the experience was not pleasant.
But maybe downloading on Steam really is just more taxing than recording would be, lol.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Awesome cheers!
no problem :)

I do wonder about the "power management" for such potential background functionalities.
I tried allowing background downloads while playing Celeste of all things and the experience was not pleasant.
But maybe downloading on Steam really is just more taxing than recording would be, lol.
yeah, it most definitely is, since it uses CPU to decompress, recording would be using the GPU

Reactions: Pommes

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
Thankfully the Steam Deck is a PC so you can make your own Cloud saves if developers are idiotic about it.

I used Sync Thing to sync the Scarlet Nexus save folder between the Deck and my PC. The setup is not too bad but a bit cumbersome and you probably really want a mouse and keyboard attached to your Steam Deck to keep your sanity (my first impressions of the Desktop experience with only the Deck controls has been "god this is a miserable experience" but ymmv) but it seems to work pretty seamlessly after that.

Now that my curiosity is sated and I got surprised at seeing the game running at 60fps High on the Deck I'm probably not gonna actually play it on the Deck though :toucan:

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria

~

Ascheroth yep i was thinking the same thing about desktop mode, that makes only sense when you connect it to a hub in my opinion. kudos to those that can use it as-is on the deck though... i wouldnt personally want to :)

• Gib

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Steam Deck is finally worth the money...

It's just a shame that CEMU second screen emulation is a bit unstable. Resolution: Save often! WooHoo!

( edit: This isn't mine. I'm one of the peasants who keeps getting their date pushed back. I'm looking at July-September now apparently. )

Last edited:

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018
I've got a bit of a dilemma. My pre-order is up but I don't know if I should go through with it because I think in reality what I probably want might be a tablet so that I can watch media/read since my old 10 inch tablet broke a few years ago and Ive been wanting to replace it (I use android for mobile stuff) but then all the stuff for this came about and it kind of threw a wrench into everything and in the ideal world I would just go I'll get both! However I've not got enough money for both, at least I don't think I do so I don't know.

I'm pretty sure I would use and have fun with the steam deck I pre-ordered (256 SSD) but I might not and I don't know about it in the long term
I definitely have the games to make use of it and what not but I don't or doesn't seem like it has a lot of function beyond gaming? I haven't seen or read a lot of people mention really anything regarding that

• Hug
Reactions: Li Kao and lashman

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Hmm, i'd say go for it. Look after it and try it out then if it doesn't fit what you want then the second-hand market for Steam Decks is still high so you'd probably get your money back or a damned good chunk of it if you sell it on.

If you're buying it as a multipurpose device for portable media/art/gaming then ehhhhh, maybe a tablet is better?

Reactions: Madventure

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
So is it suspected then that the fan noise might be a problem of the early batches of the Steam Deck?

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018
I kind of went back and forth a lot on it but I decided to just let my pre-order lapse and I'm going to just pre-order it again. I didn't feel any kind of regret or anything like I was going to miss out or like stuff like that like there's been with missed things in the past with me before so I'll go with it's the right decision for now so waiting again is probably better.

My "original" plan was just wait it out and hope to get a order that shipped out a lot later and see how things turned out with the thing but I got sort of lumped in with the first batch which is fine but wasn't really my intention (I had pre-ordered the 256)

I also keep reading about some mismashed hardware issues and stuff like that so maybe waiting isn't all that bad and it would let me better idea of what I actually want and they can smooth things out better with it.

Should have a few more nickels a couple of months anyways

• Sad

snipe_25

Mar 3, 2022
I kind of went back and forth a lot on it but I decided to just let my pre-order lapse and I'm going to just pre-order it again. I didn't feel any kind of regret or anything like I was going to miss out or like stuff like that like there's been with missed things in the past with me before so I'll go with it's the right decision for now so waiting again is probably better.

My "original" plan was just wait it out and hope to get a order that shipped out a lot later and see how things turned out with the thing but I got sort of lumped in with the first batch which is fine but wasn't really my intention (I had pre-ordered the 256)

I also keep reading about some mismashed hardware issues and stuff like that so maybe waiting isn't all that bad and it would let me better idea of what I actually want and they can smooth things out better with it.

Should have a few more nickels a couple of months anyways
You've gotta do what's right for you. Can't say I'm not jealous of your queue spot though :p

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
The update for the keyboard for the desktop mode has been very appreciated. Now you can actually use it for small stuff without a dock.
I.e I ran into another game without cloud saves that I had started on the desktop already (INMOST), but this is actually one I wanna continue on the Deck going forward, so I used Syncthing again to send over the desktop saves to the deck and this time it was relatively painless.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
SyncThing is a lifesaver. I’ve made good use of it for ROMs and retro saves.

I think I will make even better use of it when I get a Deck for games that don’t use Steam Cloud, or use it poorly. It’s even better when you have a NAS that can act as a hub to ensure syncing is always gonna work, no matter what device you have switched on.

Meanwhile, on consoles if you don’t pay the fee, you’re SOL for convenient save backups.

MomoVideo

ķ͕͕̍̅͋ḭ̼͂̕lļ͓̞̙̀͗͆̊ ͉͛m͕̲̮̆̒̐̍͢e ͠
Apr 5, 2021
Meanwhile, on consoles if you don’t pay the fee, you’re SOL for convenient save backups.
Cloud saves are free on Xbox, you don't need any subscription.

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
Cloud saves are free on Xbox, you don't need any subscription.
Okay, on non-Xbox consoles then. Both Sony and Nintendo have paywalled such rudimentary functionality and killed off any other option.

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
So I open the overlay to go to some guides or discussions of the game while playing and then continue playing.
Is there a way to get back to where I was in the overlay when I open it up again afterwards?
Maybe I'm overlooking something, but I just can't seem to figure it out and have to do the whole song and dance again everytime I want to quickly look something up.
Because when I quit the game all the browser windows I opened up like that while playing are still open and I'll have to back out of them manually.
:confused-face:

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018

could be interesting
This is awesome. Hopefully it works on desktops too.

I have no idea how powerful this is, but off the top of my head, I can already envision the following useful plugins:

Discord
Other client social features (Ubi Connect, Origin, Epic and so on)
Spotify/Apple Music
iCue
Special K (having a more controller-friendly version, for example)
Emulator settings for games running through an emulator
Smart home control
Torrent client control

Reactions: LEANIJA and lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
This is awesome. Hopefully it works on desktops too.

I have no idea how powerful this is, but off the top of my head, I can already envision the following useful plugins:

Discord
Other client social features (Ubi Connect, Origin, Epic and so on)
Spotify/Apple Music
iCue
Special K (having a more controller-friendly version, for example)
Emulator settings for games running through an emulator
Smart home control
Torrent client control
and AURORA (the trainer app)

Reactions: LEANIJA and C-Dub

Taborcarn

Battle Santa
Feb 28, 2019
Welp I was playing Trials of Mana, which is listed as a Verified game. But some of the videos aren't playing correctly.

It's kind of hilarious that it just cuts to a test pattern while the sound is still playing.

Pommes

Hey you! Have a nice day!
Jun 4, 2019
Welp I was playing Trials of Mana, which is listed as a Verified game. But some of the videos aren't playing correctly.

It's kind of hilarious that it just cuts to a test pattern while the sound is still playing.
If you are ok with doing a small extra step you could install GE-Proton:

GE-Proton is an unofficial Proton build which fixes small stuff (e.g. it should fix videos not playing correctly).

Taborcarn

Battle Santa
Feb 28, 2019
If you are ok with doing a small extra step you could install GE-Proton:

GE-Proton is an unofficial Proton build which fixes small stuff (e.g. it should fix videos not playing correctly).

Thanks, that helped! Or at least I think it did. I played about another 30 minutes and encountered a small cutscene that played fine, so hopefully it stays that way.

Reactions: Pommes and lashman

dfghstrbght

May 10, 2019
soooo i keep unplugging the deck when it's 100% charged, but I noticed that the charging light never lights off, is it normal and it's just always on or have I been unplugging it too early?

edit: nvm

Last edited:

derFeef

Cthulhu dreams.
Apr 17, 2019
AUT
In the recent Beta update the LED goes out after the is no "event" aka the battery is full.

• Added messaging when a charger that doesn't meet the minimum bar is plugged in
  • Added uncapped framerate setting in Quick Access menu > Performance
  • Added fTPM support, enabling Windows 11 installation
  • Added button combo: hold "..." + "Volume Down" to reset PD contract in the cases where Steam Deck gets stuck due to an incompatible Type-C device
  • Updated power LED to dim a few seconds after power supply connection events for better experience in dark environments
  • Improved compatibility for a number of Type-C docks and PSUs
  • Improved battery life in idle or very low usage scenarios
  • Improved stability
  • Fixed issues where the touchscreen does not work after some boots
  • Fixed compatibility with some SD cards specifically when used as boot devices.
  • Fixed ACPI error spew in the kernel

• Gib
Reactions: Mor and Ascheroth

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
It will soon be a week that I've had the Deck now, and I really like it overall. I've been using it a lot more than I thought I would be to be honest - haven't really used my Desktop that much this week.
Though it's not going to replace my Desktop at all, I'm pretty sure I'm just going to be using them both separately going forward for different types of games.
I.e Scarlet Nexus I'm going to continue on my Desktop but reading Ace Attorney in bed is a lot more comfy.

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
I.e Scarlet Nexus I'm going to continue on my Desktop but reading Ace Attorney in bed is a lot more comfy.
That's my main issue with the Deck - it's a device for playing VNs more than AAA, but I have my OLED tablet for these, which is an infinitely superior experience both screen size/quality and user experience (no fan, no issues with Proton since I can just stream them from my Windows desktop). Yeah, it's not native so requires me being in home, but that's not a big issue with my current life. I played through Great Ace Attorney this way and it was just so good.
My potential Deck usage would be contained to games that require constant input, like RPGs or puzzle games (they are still playable through streaming, but you know, touch input sucks). Not sure if that's worth Valve's asking price...

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
That's my main issue with the Deck - it's a device for playing VNs more than AAA, but I have my OLED tablet for these, which is an infinitely superior experience both screen size/quality and user experience (no fan, no issues with Proton since I can just stream them from my Windows desktop). Yeah, it's not native so requires me being in home, but that's not a big issue with my current life. I played through Great Ace Attorney this way and it was just so good.
My potential Deck usage would be contained to games that require constant input, like RPGs or puzzle games (they are still playable through streaming, but you know, touch input sucks). Not sure if that's worth Valve's asking price...
Well as you say there's still a lot between VNs and AAA. Though technically it can play more demanding stuff just fine, I just prefer those on my Desktop.
I do plan on using it for platformers, puzzle games, some RPGs and who knows what else - it's still early days for me.
But whether or not it's going to fit your personal use-cases I wouldn't know.

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
Yeah, I know the feeling. I’m still a little cross that Valve’s systems fucked me over when ordering, so I’m going to get more annoyed and sad the longer I wait.

They need to work out a better purchase system for hardware next time rather than first come, first serve.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
I doubt that I'm in early Q2, so I wouldn't expect my email before 25th of April. If I don't get it by mid May, then I'll get nervous.