Community What are you currently playing?

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
I still need to pick up Dusk, Amid Evil and Ion Fury Maiden. Amid Evil does look good and my friends enjoyed it.

I started up Anthem today for the first time since i got the code with my video card. I turned off Motion Blur and Head Bob and jumped in. Damn, it can be a pretty game but i need to dial down Bloom or something, sheesh! It defaulted to Ultra and seemed solid but i didn't get an FPS count. Also need to figure out the Anthem or Origin screenshot key so i can post some pictures, there's a screenshot folder so i know it can do it. I quit when i had to go back out of Tarsis but i will be playing more of it especially once i figure out my preferred control sensitivities on KB/M because underwater was gimablling around like crazy!

I've started an MMO recently so i'm not planning on delving too deep into Anthem's grind but I'll definitely give it more time over the next few weeks.

Edit: Apparently there's no screenshot function in Origin or Anthem so people are either using another tool or Windows' built-in WinKey+PrntScrn. Wow.

Last edited:

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Finished Momodora 1 on itch.io, because I'm stupid and try to play games in order.
Really short game, really difficult. The pixel art is cute as fuck. Not really my thing, but at least I beat it (looking at you Cave Story :disapproval-blob: )

Rebounded hard on Puyo Puyo Tetris on the other hand, and that annoys me greatly. I liked the switch demo but now I just can't stand being roflstomped by the AI. Playing Tetris against a Puyo AI is nerve wracking. I'm evidently not good enough, but I'm a little dubious of the balance when mixing the two games. Maybe that's just me rage complaining.
Super letdown to be letdown.

Tempted to start a tactical game. Mutant Year Zero, Mechanicus, XCOM 1 (that I dropped at the last mission years ago), there are a lot of choices here.

Crayon

Schizofantastic
May 25, 2019
Currently playing through 3D Sonic the Hedgehog and The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild.
Is it your first time playing breath?

I played that when i got that day one switch. I was really excited for the switch hardware itself. Long time since I've been excited about actual hardware. I hadn't been following Nintendo, completely had lost faith in Zelda at twilight princess, and I had not even looked at breath of the wild.

So I'm all excited about this cute little switch. I don't think I felt this way about hardware design and fondeling it since the PS2 came out. Of course I got Zelda. So I put it in, andvin two five minutes I forgot that switch even existed.

My feelings and opinion of the game swayed wildly up and down for maybe a year since I played it, but now I'm settled on it. I'll tell anyone is the best game I've ever played.
Finished Momodora 1 on itch.io, because I'm stupid and try to play games in order.
Really short game, really difficult. The pixel art is cute as fuck. Not really my thing, but at least I beat it (looking at you Cave Story :disapproval-blob: )

Rebounded hard on Puyo Puyo Tetris on the other hand, and that annoys me greatly. I liked the switch demo but now I just can't stand being roflstomped by the AI. Playing Tetris against a Puyo AI is nerve wracking. I'm evidently not good enough, but I'm a little dubious of the balance when mixing the two games. Maybe that's just me rage complaining.
Super letdown to be letdown.

Tempted to start a tactical game. Mutant Year Zero, Mechanicus, XCOM 1 (that I dropped at the last mission years ago), there are a lot of choices here.
I fuckin loooooooooove momodora.

And remember if you see me playing dark forces, its actually MechWarrior 2 lol.

Spamlynguist

I can never decide on an avatar
Dec 31, 2018
Is it your first time playing breath?

I played that when i got that day one switch. I was really excited for the switch hardware itself. Long time since I've been excited about actual hardware. I hadn't been following Nintendo, completely had lost faith in Zelda at twilight princess, and I had not even looked at breath of the wild.

So I'm all excited about this cute little switch. I don't think I felt this way about hardware design and fondeling it since the PS2 came out. Of course I got Zelda. So I put it in, andvin two five minutes I forgot that switch even existed.

My feelings and opinion of the game swayed wildly up and down for maybe a year since I played it, but now I'm settled on it. I'll tell anyone is the best game I've ever played.
Yeah it is actually! I only picked up a Switch a couple of days ago. It's been a real blast so far and it looks absolutely great in handheld mode (I was used to the 3DS and this blows it out of the water).

Reactions: Crayon and Milena

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
What I'm playing: Fire Emblem 3 Houses. Flawed but definitely fun game. A little too long perhaps.
What I want to be playing: OG Ocarina of Time, but my N64, Wii and GCN are all in my storage unit, and I'm too lazy to take them out. Bring N64 to NSO already, Nintendo. Or at least release an N64 mini.

Nabs

Hyper˗Toxic Pro˗Consumer
Oct 23, 2018
Yeah, Minit is scratching that itch.

I also gave GNOG a try, and that game is a trip and a half in VR. I don't even want know what it's like with drugs (of course I do).

FunnyJay

Powered by the Cloud
Apr 6, 2019
Sweden
I finished Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments yesterday!
That was quite a lovely adventure! Some cases were better than others but on the whole a really pleasant game.

I still have 3 of the older Frogware Sherlock games (Awakened, Nemesis and Jack The Ripper) in my backlog though... 😉

Ruvon

Chaotic writer
May 15, 2019
France
cabinetdechaologie.wordpress.com
I've been playing Gibbous - A Cthulhu Adventure, so far it's really good, although on the easy side. There's been only 1 puzzle that has managed to make me think for a couple of minutes, but I guess it'll get more difficult later on :cat-pizza-blob:
I'm very interested in this one, I played the demo a while ago and it was really good.

I heard about translation issues (in French), I don't know it which language you're playing.

Milena

Lost in VR
Jan 4, 2019
I'm very interested in this one, I played the demo a while ago and it was really good.

I heard about translation issues (in French), I don't know it which language you're playing.
I'm playing in English, I tried Italian for a couple of minutes just to check it out and it seemed well done. Can't comment on the French version, sorry :sorryblob:

The only issue / bug I got so far is that, when your character is on the far-side of the screen and talks, the subtitles aren't fully visible, as they're centered on each character's head. But apart from that, all is great for me.

Reactions: Ruvon

Ruvon

Chaotic writer
May 15, 2019
France
I tried to play
The most original name of the year, obviously.

It's really arid, UI is a mess, it's gorgeous for a game came out in 1999... ow sorry, 2019 ?? and nothing is explained to the player.

It's a 4x with a few good ideas, but it's something I've already played in so many games... Compared to Endless Space 2 or Star Ruler 2 it's painful to play, even though after a few hours (!) I understand the core of gameplay and I'm starting to enjoy it.

But there's nothing in it that haven't been done in a better way before elsewhere and it's really expensive (28€...) for what's in it. Very slow paced game, I kept trying not to Alt-Tab and browse the web to see something happening on my screen.

It's not a bad game, but it came out 20 years too late.

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
I have started playing Final Fantasy IX. Installed the Moguri mod which enabled better background pictures for the game.
But the port feels so broken. The most noticeable thing is the wide-screen resolution. You can see black bars on both sides. Sometimes when characters go outside the intended visible area you can still see them.
When casting magic spell you can see the magic animation aren't centered on the character or monster.
There are a lot more broken things in the game. I am not sure if it's the Moguri mod that broke it, I will uninstall it to see if it fixes the problems.

Have they changed the overworld music? I can't remember the music that's being played while in the overworld
About the broken widescreen, I think it's because of the mod, I don't think the game supports widescreen natively (though it's been a few years since I played FFIX).

Reactions: Crayon

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
I finally started Mutant Year Zero.
Silent approval nod, that's one beautiful tactical game.

That said I'm still reserving judgement.
  • Game system is not really explained in detail which was a blessing at first but came back to bite me in the butt.
  • It is far too difficult in hard mode and those fuckers point to hard as being the mode to play.
  • Surprisingly limited skill tree and customization options.
  • Once you begin to understand how the game operates, free roaming lose a little of its shine, levels are not that vast.
  • NO ENEMIES RESPAWN, NO LOOT REPOP, GRIND POSSIBILITIES ZERO
  • NO MINIMAP, YOU HELLSPAWNS !

Still one beautiful mofo, good tactical feel, vaguely interesting plot, I will launch it again soon (and pray I don't hit a brick wall in difficulty).

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Mutant Year Zero - part 2
I must say that with this level of difficulty, getting things done according to keikaku during a battle is all sorts of bliss.
But that also takes me back to the limited skill trees. You kinda realize that you have to use this power or that one to ace it, there is a rigidity in how to win an encounter. Stealth adds a nice twist on them, no question, but it too is limited. God bless, we are not at a point where the game feels like a puzzle, but yeah, a little too limited.

Then again that goes for the maps too. As I said they are more or less large but at the end of the day they are just big circles/zones whatever.

In French we have a saying 'he who likes a lot, chasten a lot', and that fits. The game is not perfect but it shows enough good for me to wish for a more ambitious sequel. Like full on free roam and more rich skill trees with more diverse ways to handle encounters.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Wolfenstein II - The New Colossus
What a spectacular mess. The depth with which they missed the mark on the sequel of a well loved game keeps getting more and more impressive.
So writing wise, it’s death valley. Ye who enter leave all hope of subtetly. The game takes on very serious issues with the finesse of a truck.
It’s disturbingly gory. It’s Wolfenstein you will say, it’s par for the course you dumb dumb Li Kao ! Mmh, I will say that it is still really in love with its decapitations. It luv’ decap-kun. There is even a scene, I should mention that I love pulp, where they go full pulp and only achieve total creepiness and ridiculousness.
Then there comes a point when, obviously in love with its own wet fart (for some godforsaken reason that eludes me) the game offer you the opportunity to end all opportunities, THE deal ! You can participate in a forgettable mini game, unlock locations in the levels you have already played, and do them again to kill more Commanders. Yes, the ones that were bearable in the first game only to become somehow unbearable in this one. Google tells me it’s for two cheevos... No fuck thank you, Bethesda !

Checked a wiki and I’m somehow a little before mid-game. Now leave me, I will curl up into a ball and cry.

Wheelsner

Aug 7, 2019
Wolfenstein II - The New Colossus
What a spectacular mess. The depth with which they missed the mark on the sequel of a well loved game keeps getting more and more impressive.
So writing wise, it’s death valley. Ye who enter leave all hope of subtetly. The game takes on very serious issues with the finesse of a truck.
It’s disturbingly gory. It’s Wolfenstein you will say, it’s par for the course you dumb dumb Li Kao ! Mmh, I will say that it is still really in love with its decapitations. It luv’ decap-kun. There is even a scene, I should mention that I love pulp, where they go full pulp and only achieve total creepiness and ridiculousness.
Then there comes a point when, obviously in love with its own wet fart (for some godforsaken reason that eludes me) the game offer you the opportunity to end all opportunities, THE deal ! You can participate in a forgettable mini game, unlock locations in the levels you have already played, and do them again to kill more Commanders. Yes, the ones that were bearable in the first game only to become somehow unbearable in this one. Google tells me it’s for two cheevos... No fuck thank you, Bethesda !

Checked a wiki and I’m somehow a little before mid-game. Now leave me, I will curl up into a ball and cry.
Absolutely. Played this on release and it was probably my biggest disappointment of the year.

I always felt the The New Order was a mediocre shooter which punched about its weight due its sense of style and ability to combine a pulpy over the top narrative with some surprisingly human characters (villains excepted) and moments of genuine emotion. They really missed the mark with the writing in the sequel, whilst failing to significantly improve the mechanics. I also thought both the level variety (oh look, it's another Nazi bunker) and the level design were significantly worse second time round. Haven't played Youngblood, but it doesn't sound like a return to form from what I've heard.

Reactions: Crayon and Li Kao

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
It's how those games looked to me at the time on a tiny monitor at low res! Good to see the game getting really positive comments and recognition, it's a stunning love letter to that era of FPS.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
New Colossus is done.
I have already largely spoken my mind about it, but the game kept digging, incredible.
I'm quite certain this will be my WOTY 2019, a miserable little shit stain of a game.

Seriously people, some of the cinematics are out of this world cringe. Well, most of them are, but some are punching even higher.

Obligatory mention of "Where's Wyatt" as the part of the game that most resembled looking into the abyss.

Last edited:

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Right now I'm playing 428 Shibuya Scramble as part of the VN Book Club: Community - Visual Novel Book Club - 428: Shibuya Scramble
It's pretty great so far (I'm in Chapter 5 currently).

Previously I'd startend Danganronpa and played through 2 chapters. Will continue after Shibuya Scramble.

Alongside those I'm still playing Wandersong if I need something quirky and easy-going :) It's neat.

Also started Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN- and made it through the tutorial. Fighting games aren't exactly my genre of choice but the artstyle is so good and I just want to see the story portion (Iirc it's basically just a long in-engine anime movie). Which I technically could do from the beginning, but the game said it happens after the Arcade scenarios, so I gotta do some fighting I guess.

Nabs

Hyper˗Toxic Pro˗Consumer
Oct 23, 2018
Got Ion Fury and No Man's Sky VR on deck. Beat Minit, thinking of jumping into the new game+ over the weekend.

Ion Fury is really good so far. They really nailed the feel. So far, I haven't had any issues finding my way around shrug

NMS had a rough going at first, but it got patched up quickly. Oh boy, this game is going to be something alright. Got me mining asteroids and shit.

Wheelsner

Aug 7, 2019
Also playing Ion Fury. Really enjoying it so far.

It's very much the complete package in terms of recreating a 90's Build engine shooter with the art, music and and general feel being very much on point. It's very much how I remember the 90's originals being, though not perhaps how they actually were. It's clear, particularly in the level design (which has so far been excellent) that compared to the Duke/ Blood etc they've been able to produce denser, more complex environments. Saying that, they've done a mostly excellent job of making areas within each level easily distinguishable, so whilst the levels can be large, I haven't found navigation frustrating :shrugblob:.

Secrets though are a completely different matter, and I've been absolutely useless so far at locating most of these. Either they're really fiendish, or I'm just a bit rubbish.

Anyway good stuff so far, though I'm only on the second hub so hopefully it continues to hold up.

Crayon

Schizofantastic
May 25, 2019
Right now I'm playing 428 Shibuya Scramble as part of the VN Book Club: Community - Visual Novel Book Club - 428: Shibuya Scramble
It's pretty great so far (I'm in Chapter 5 currently).

Previously I'd startend Danganronpa and played through 2 chapters. Will continue after Shibuya Scramble.

Alongside those I'm still playing Wandersong if I need something quirky and easy-going :) It's neat.

Also started Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN- and made it through the tutorial. Fighting games aren't exactly my genre of choice but the artstyle is so good and I just want to see the story portion (Iirc it's basically just a long in-engine anime movie). Which I technically could do from the beginning, but the game said it happens after the Arcade scenarios, so I gotta do some fighting I guess.
God damn that game is so good. It's super hard to play against people, but also really fun by yourself. There's so many systems, but if you're just playing around there's really just too easy ones you should start with. Use your faultless defense a lot, where you block and use the buttons to make like a super block. And use your burst meter by slapping all the buttons at the same time when you're getting fucked up with a big combo. It's like a get-out-of-jail-free card.

Rev 2 picks up the story.

Reactions: Ascheroth

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
I got myself Operation Abyss from the current Hamble sale (20% subscriber discount + some wallet bux made it really cheap).
2 hours later, I have now created my party, lmao.
I gave all the premade members the boot and made my own. Classes ended up being mostly the same, but I think mine have better stats, and well better portraits and stuff :p

I do really dislike the "bonus points" mechanic during stat distribution. Essentially you have X stat points to distribute after choosing an initial distribution. And that X is.... totally random! It goes from 1 to 10 with higher numbers being more rare and you can infinitely reroll.
I mean I know that this is basically coming from pen & paper RPGs but I really don't like this in digital games. It feels like such a pointless waste of time.
After trying to get something good for a few minutes and looking the recommended points up, I quickly decided it's awful and used my friend CheatEngine to give every character I made 8 points - not the max because that is apparently so rare that you basically never get it, but around/a bit more than I would eventually settle at after wasting lots of time rerolling.
/rant

My party is now:
Samurai Knight Assassin
Mage Physician Academic

The default party had a Warrior instead of an Assassin.
(Physiscian is the Healer and Academic is some kind of Support/Thief hybrid thingy.)

Time to go to the first dungeon, lol.

Reactions: Milena

Nabs

Hyper˗Toxic Pro˗Consumer
Oct 23, 2018
Welp. I'm knee deep into Her Story and I've gone full gumshoe now. Got my notebook open, transcribing fucking taps and shit. Lets go. That creepy shit can't stop me.

edit: Oh. I beat it. That was a weird one.

Back to ruining a planet's eco system in NMS.

Last edited:

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
Holy shit! I bought a game this weekend, played it, and finished it. I feel like this is cause for celebration!

I grabbed Gris on sale this weekend for ~$10. Absolutely gorgeous in every way. Each "chapter" I was convinced was going to be the most beautiful in the game... And then I would get to the next one and be blown away again.

I only unlocked one of the optional achievements(quite by accident), but I don't see myself going back for any of them. It's pretty, but platformers aren't really something I find engaging for long periods of time. I suck at precise jumping/timing, so I end up frustrated easily. Still, so happy I picked this up, and that it isn't going to sit in my backlog until the end of time unplayed.

Last edited:

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Started Momodora 2 on a whim and I glad I did. A short free game, that transformed the formula from hard sidescroller to metroidvania.
Nothing bad to say about it, still charming pixel art, difficult bosses but not overtly difficult. It's... yeah, it's too short, I want more.
Fascinating to see this obviously hobby game evolve, rdein, the creator, is heading steadily for his tenth year on it if we follow the copyrights.

BTW the true ending is dependant on the player finding a zone that screams 'faq'. Not particularly super hidden, but how could you find it on your own...

Reactions: Milena and Arsene

Phoenix RISING

A phoenix always RISES!
Apr 23, 2019
Ann Arbor, MI
www.geeksundergrace.com
Someone on my team was supposed to cover the physical launch of The Wizards on PS VR , but they got sick and are physically unable.

So I am:

doing the best VR game I've played so far

trying to get this to run; crashes on load screen. I'm attempting a reinstall

Write a preview for

Yep, that's all this week, M, W, F publications.

THEN I'll finally be able to play more than 3 levels of Ion Fury...and finally get started on Oxygen Not Included if I don't do They Are Billions and Total War: Three Kingdoms first.

I need to quit my day job,but then, how would I pay my mortgage?

Reactions: Milena and Arsene

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
Batman; The Telltale Series. Turns out, it's really good! I'm on episode 2 and loving it so far, technical issues aside. Fun takes on the cast.
I still haven't finished Season 2. I think I was on Episode 2 or 3, but just never got back to it.

Reactions: Milena and MJunioR

MJunioR

MetaMember
Mar 13, 2019
I'm midway into FFXIII's chapter 11 and honestly? I'm enjoying it way more than I did play FF6 last month. Still not FFX level though.

Luminaire

별이 빛나는 하늘
Feb 28, 2019
The Last Remnant (PS4). I think I'm on the last boss. As much as I like this game, I'm getting pretty sick of moves that wipe out my entire army in one hit. After having to gamble for RNG bullshit on the Bloody Alice fight (basically get lucky with two OHKOs), I don't think I'll even bother with the superbosses in this game. It's too much time and frustration for how little control I actually have.

Despite my lamentations, it's really a great game with a killer soundtrack and some truly grand battles.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
A couple of circuits in Sonic something something Transformed to prepare for MetaCouncil Co-Op sessions. Just to be sure I at least remembered the controls.
With good reason it turns out, I couldn't for the life of me remember how to put out stunts.

Reactions: lashman

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
I have a random day off today. Gonna re-play episode 3 of Life is Strange 2 in preparation of episode 4 releasing this week!

Reactions: Milena

Nabs

Hyper˗Toxic Pro˗Consumer
Oct 23, 2018
Hello friends, have you heard the good word about Dicey Dungeons? I bought it yesterday and almost played 5 hours of it. I'm talking multiple 90 minute sessions. I'd play a full-ass RPG built around this. Is this my gateway game? What do I play once I'm done with this?

Ruvon

Chaotic writer
May 15, 2019
France
Hello friends, have you heard the good word about Dicey Dungeons? I bought it yesterday and almost played 5 hours of it. I'm talking multiple 90 minute sessions. I'd play a full-ass RPG built around this. Is this my gateway game? What do I play once I'm done with this?
I played a lot on the free version that was available last year on itch.io (I could play from work, but don't tell anyone 🦝 ) and I offered it to two friends ;)

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Started playing Gears of War Ultimate Edition, as part of the one month Gamepass key I got yesterday.

Still in the first few hours of the thing, and it plays just about like every third person shooter I have ever seen. Then again, this is like the grandfather of the genre, so I guess it's to be expected. From what I can tell it plays in a post-apocalyptic world, presumably brought about somehow via the mass abuse of steroids by every single man in existence. Like, how can these people even move their arms with all the muscle mass. Or maybe it's just the silly suits.

I do like how quickly the game goes from, yada, yada monsters appeared, generic backstory ... to you going around shooting them. Doesn't even pretend you care about the backstory. And I certainly approve when a game knows it doesn't have the writing chops to capture my interest, and doesn't even bother about it.

Reactions: Milena and lashman

Phoenix RISING

A phoenix always RISES!
Apr 23, 2019
Ann Arbor, MI
www.geeksundergrace.com
Started playing Gears of War Ultimate Edition, as part of the one month Gamepass key I got yesterday.

Still in the first few hours of the thing, and it plays just about like every third person shooter I have ever seen. Then again, this is like the grandfather of the genre, so I guess it's to be expected. From what I can tell it plays in a post-apocalyptic world, presumably brought about somehow via the mass abuse of steroids by every single man in existence. Like, how can these people even move their arms with all the muscle mass. Or maybe it's just the silly suits.

I do like how quickly the game goes from, yada, yada monsters appeared, generic backstory ... to you going around shooting them. Doesn't even pretend you care about the backstory. And I certainly approve when a game knows it doesn't have the writing chops to capture my interest, and doesn't even bother about it.
LOL welcome to 2006.

And yeah, you won't even find out about why you're fighting this war until GoW 3. Never even found out why Marcus is in prison IIRC.

Dec 5, 2018
After a few weeks of barely being able to play anything (it was too hot to do anything), I finished Baldur's Gate (+ Siege of Dragonspear).
For whatever reason I decided to reinstall GG Xrd Rev 2, just to do the extra arcade episodes and the Extra Stories (the last one sure was something ...)

Crayon

Schizofantastic
May 25, 2019
I have started Witcher 3 finally.

:O this is the best-looking game I've seen (in the flesh) since breath of the wild.

Flawless install and run through proton. I'm just scratching the surface so I'll withhold anymore for now. I'm not going to get to go out it again until Saturday.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
I have started Witcher 3 finally.

:O this is the best-looking game I've seen (in the flesh) since breath of the wild.

Flawless install and run through proton. I'm just scratching the surface so I'll withhold anymore for now. I'm not going to get to go out it again until Saturday.
Incredible experience ! Playing the whole trilogy was worth it. A highmark in gaming.
That being said, the main plot is shit-tier (which is not the end of the world in a game this big).

Reactions: Milena and Crayon