Community What are you currently playing?

Crayon

Schizofantastic
May 25, 2019
Incredible experience ! Playing the whole trilogy was worth it. A highmark in gaming.
That being said, the main plot is shit-tier (which is not the end of the world in a game this big).
I did play a good bunch of the second one, and I really liked it. I was never worried about the fighting gameplay that everyone moans about. I could see what they were trying to do with it from the second one and I like it a lot even though it's not exactly the tightest. Fighting in 3 is better, of course.

Reactions: Li Kao

Futaleufu

Laughing Chojin
Mar 14, 2019
Post Mortem, and according to a walkthrough I've lost many clues so the chances of getting a decent ending are low.

MJunioR

MetaMember
Mar 13, 2019
I will start focusing on Remnant this weekend I think, although I might download FFXIII-2. Anyway, yesterday I beat the Shroud on Remnant and I had quite a time dealing with it.

Spamlynguist

I can never decide on an avatar
Dec 31, 2018
Been playing Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle the last couple of days, which has been excellent so far! Nearing the end of World 1.

I've also been playing Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. which I got for very cheap. Not quite as good but fun in short bursts.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Resumed my playthrough of Shin Megami Tensei IV - Apocalypse on 3DS.
Just bought a Switch but I think I'm at my limit simultaneous game wise (Engrish FTW) and so pushing to finish it. Suprise ! It's still shit ! :blobeyes:
Entered the part of the game where the dev thought that being boring and bland as fuck wasn't enough, they needed to break some balls. So enjoy ! Three consecutive bosses.
I am near my breaking point and I fear that with the padding that is in the game that it will be a long journey. A long, bland and uninteresting journey.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
After more than a week without gaming, I'm finally back home. First game I've played tonight was DARQ. I bought it to support the developer for rejecting Epic's exclusivity deal, and the game is really, really good! Buy this one people!

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Momodora III
Great series, games don't overstay their welcome (2 hours for this one) and I find following the creative journey of the creator interesting.
I preferred the more Metroivania feel of 2, but it was still a good time.

A litte annoyed that I can't seem to find a place on the internet where the lore is a little bit explained. I feel like I didn't grasp some background lore and I want more. I understand it's easily explained by the fact that rdein must not develop a deep lore, but I think it speaks for the endearing aspect of his characters and world that I feel left out.

Phoenix RISING

A phoenix always RISES!
Apr 23, 2019
Ann Arbor, MI
www.geeksundergrace.com
My hell week is done as of today. IDK what happens in the freelance world when someone fails to deliver, but because it's my department, the burden falls on me. So now that that's done, I can do my own stuff.

I'm only a few hours into Chrono Trigger. It's meh so far. I am escaping prison with Chrono. I want to finish this by September 1, but am lacking the "want to."

I want to play Ion Maiden and Oxygen Not Included instead.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
Tried a few games on this long weekend, see if anything caught my interest.

Tried Ghost of a Tale, but it didn’t grab me after about two hours. Then I thought I’d give Age of Empires a go since it’s on Game Pass, but that too also reminded me why I dislike RTS games in general.

After that, Heaven’s Vault. The world has instantly caught my imagination, and the branching narrative is incredible. 80 Days, inkle’s other noteworthy game, was a triumph and this so far feels like an appropriate successor.

I know which one I will continue playing.

Reactions: Milena

Crayon

Schizofantastic
May 25, 2019
Okay so witcher 3... I'm going to play more, but today i got to this quest with a goat. That really made me think. That quest was annoying.

You really want to pick up the goat and walk with it, but you can't. You have to ring a bell you equipped to your item slot. And as I was plugging away at this stupid quest, I started to think of the overall gameplay as somewhat thin. You know, leading the goat around, it seemed like the general gameplay is pretty limited.

Everything's an RPG these days lol so I'd say this fantasy RPG feels a little more like an adventure game, where I'm moving around and sort of exploring things to unfold the story. It works because you have these really good cutscenes that managed to feel interactive with just a few superficial dialogue choices.

And while I appreciate the somewhat methodical pace of the game, seems like it can become boring sometimes

Those thoughts go through my head, and as you may remember, shortly after you got this thing where you can run into a burning building. This seriously highlights how limited the gameplay is. Basically, it's a timed section, and with the pressure to move around and look around the environment quickly, the game instantly feels super clunky.

So the gameplay is basic and light,. Not a bad thing, necessarily. There's a truly interesting land and lore to explore. Atmosphere is well conveyed and maintained. It's good.

But I turned it off, and played mgs5 (haven't played in a year) right after and holy shit the difference... Playing an action game with alot of possible movements and refined gameplay and stuff, the difference is really stark.

mgs5 may seem like a weird comparison. It's obviously a more complex game in terms of controld and gameplay. Something with fighting more similar to Witcher is 3 Yakuza. Similar in complexity. And Yakuza's combat has a better balance and feel. In comparison, Witcher 3 fighting is more just serviceable.

Things really pick up when you fight a big monster. Gameplay-wise, it's still a shadow of something like monster hunter or dragon's dogma, but the way they sent that shit up with the drama and the music and everything is outstanding. That makes those fights really good.

Lot of thoughts. I'll be back.

Last edited:

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Holy mother of posts
I have 200+ hours in Witcher 3, did 99% of the quests, and I can't remember a goat to save my life. Annoying.
That being said I can understand where you are coming from, gameplay is not the game strong point. Immersion, lore, some writing, yeah, gameplay less so.
At the same time, and this is 100% not an attack on my part, maybe you are not doing the game any favor by comparing it to action games / gameplay rich series.

Reactions: Milena and Crayon

Kurt Russell

SUPREME OVERLORD OF EVIL
Sep 6, 2018
Mar del Plata
War Thunder (I've already sunk more than 800 hours into it and even though I hate a lot of its mechanics, it's still the best MP tank game out there), Slay the Spire (got the new Monthly since I wanted both Squad and this one), Revulsion (thanks eonden for the recommendation), Remnant (going after some weapons and mods I missed) and Ion Fury.

Crayon

Schizofantastic
May 25, 2019
Oh yah. Im not making do much a comparison but trying to illustrate what im talking about with the light gameplay. Also, that post is huge and meandering because I was dictating into my phone. Lol. Blah blah blah.

Last edited:

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
I've finished DARQ last night. While rather short, it's really, really good. The developers aren't only a blessing for the open nature of pc gaming, but they seem to be incredibly talented as well.

I've also been playing lots of Yoku's Island Express. The game is rather easy, but very enjoyable. Can't wait to continue playing tonight!

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
I got my backer key on Friday, so I played about an hour of Knights & Bikes today. So far, it's pretty good! The art direction is totally charming, and story is very whimsical(with something dark lurking beneath it), and the gameplay is simple, though fun. It really reminds me of Costume Quest in a way, but without the turn-based RPG combat. You follow a linear map(with secrets), collecting stuff, killing enemies, and unlocking areas as you go.

You can play with a friend either online or local co-op, but I've only tried it solo, and you can swap between the two characters. Demelza is the redheaded kid, and she is a melee fighter, while Nessa used a frisbee for ranged attacks. There are basic puzzles(hitting targets within in a time limit, hitting targets in a certain order), as well as enemies to fight. At some point you unlock a bike, but I haven't gotten that far.

The story is cute. Demelza is being raised by her dad(a former roadie) who built and runs a medieval--themed golf course/caravan park on an island, that is struggling to stay in business. The park's theme is based around a local legend about a group of knights who buried some treasure on the island, and there's a curse? I dunno. It's cute. Anyway, Nessa shows up on the ferry with a load of supplies, and seems to be homeless. She befriends Demelza, and they team up to search for the treasure.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mivey and Milena

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
I'm in a very Nintendo mood atm. Well obviously the fact that I re-bought a Switch helps here. Bought a Switch but keep playing 3ds games because OCD, yeah I'm pathetic like that. Not that I could buy a Nintendo game right now, their pricing is fucking aiming for the throat.

So the Yoshi Switch demo was... adorable. I'm not the target of papercraft-like aesthetic, or whatever the gimmick, the game's visuals are sometimes a little fuzzy on a 4K set and it's certainly gently boring. But when you drop your defenses and let the inner child have a say, it's SO charming. I surprised my old ass self giggling at some cute moments. If only every fucking Nintendo game wasn't 60 dollars.
In the wait for a sale that will never happen pile it goes, next to Kirby.

So I started Luigi's Mansion 2 3DS because OCD, in order to have it finished before the third one.
I can see why I dropped it fairly soon the first time around. This is a needlessly verbose game, sandwiched in little levels, the let's interact with everything present in a room gets really repetitive, and I certainly play it a little late, it's beginning to show its age. But for all the shit I can throw at it, you can certainly do worse than spend some hours in this charming little world. Luigi + Spooky Halloween setting, you can't really hate that formula.

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
I have been playing Final Fantasy 9 since last week now. On the disc 2 part already. With the speed booster the game is more enjoyable when the battle can be done quickly. I already found all the chocographs in the first Chocobo Hot and Cold spot. The speed booster really helps a lot :)

I also have modded the game with the Moguri mod which makes the game somewhat more beautiful. I had to change the resolution setting to use 4:3 display format instead of widescreen format since the game looks broken in widescreen

Reactions: Crayon and Milena

Stevey

Gromlintroid
Dec 8, 2018
Dead Space! The first (and best) one!

I've played it on console back then, so it's great to play it on pc with mouse + kb now. And a bunch of visual enhancements of course 😊
Nice.

2 is my favorite, but the whole series is great, yes, even 3

Reactions: Ge0force

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Nice.

2 is my favorite, but the whole series is great, yes, even 3
I didn't like 3 at all, except for the first hour or so. The constant grinding to find enough parts and the boring levels on the planet ruined it for me.

2 is okay, but less survival and more shooter than 1.

Crayon

Schizofantastic
May 25, 2019
Witcher 3 is so mixed... Iyve got 30 hours on the clock and I've really been taking my time with it. I think i may try picking up the pace and see how the game feels. I can get seriously aimless exploring open world games and i think I'm slowing the game down too much. I've had this happen before in other games and the solution is simply to mainline the story for a few sessions and see where i end up.

Like i mentioned before, w3 somehow inspired me to return to mgsv. That's one i stopped like a year ago. I guess i thought about playing it because i think of geralt and snake to be in the same kind of archetype.

I meant to just check it out and cleanse my pallete while i was a little frustrated with w3. But damn it keeps pulling me back in. I've done kiek 3 longish (2-3hr) sessions with it this weekend and its just so fuckin fun.

And right now i im about to be in a waiting area for 2 hours so I'm going to pop in zelda and revisit that. The new testament of game design.

Crayon

Schizofantastic
May 25, 2019
I'm back on Zelda: BotW. I want to play this game to completion this time, though I ain't findin' those seeds.
How much have you played before? as you can see above, I just picked it up again yesterday. Been several months since I played. It was fun, which is crazy to me, because I put over 200 hours in this game at this point. I can hardly play anything for 200. The only comparable game I've spent that much time on is Skyrim.

Last edited:
Reactions: Guilty of Being

Guilty of Being

META MAN
Dec 5, 2018
Texas
How much have you played before? as you can see above, I just picked it up again yesterday. Been several months since I played. It was fun, which is crazy to me, because I put over 200 hours in this game at this point. I can hardly play anything for 200. The only comparable game I've spent that much time on is Skyrim.
I didn't play too far the first time. I don't have much time these days, so by the time I get where I'm going, I usefully have to stop.

Reactions: Crayon

Crayon

Schizofantastic
May 25, 2019
I didn't play too far the first time. I don't have much time these days, so by the time I get where I'm going, I usefully have to stop.
I don't know if this applies to you, when I know the game well, so...
The game doesn't hold up that well if you're in a hurry to finish it. On the other hand, it holds up great if you don't have a lot of time but don't intend to finish it at all. It's easy to spend a good 50 to 70 romping around doing this and that.

My brother in law likes to play games, but he's only got a couple hours a week. It took him a year to finish twilight princess and that was the only game he was playing. In fact, he seems to only be interested in making time for Zelda games. He was definitely put off by breath of the wild at first because he couldn't figure out what to do with his couple hours a week.

Last time I talked to him, he had come around to it. I didn't get to ask exactly what he did differently or saw differently.

Nabs

Hyper˗Toxic Pro˗Consumer
Oct 23, 2018
I started playing Demon's Souls on RPCS3 last night. RPCS3 has come a long way from when I first tried it a year ago. So far I beat the first boss, and I found out that I still hate dragons.

fokkusu

Burn baby burn🔥🎵
Dec 9, 2018
Started Control yesterday, seems like very nice game. Although I still have Ratchet & Clank 2 HD on PS3 and Conker's Bad Fur Day WIP.

Last edited:
Reactions: Spamlynguist

Phoenix RISING

A phoenix always RISES!
Apr 23, 2019
Ann Arbor, MI
www.geeksundergrace.com
Chrono Trigger is a game that ppl look upon with nostalgia glasses with a prescription so ridiculous that its acolytes must be blind. The combat is hella dated, the pathing confusing, the characters uninteresting.

I'm gonna try and hate-play my way through till the end though.

Need to start on Oxygen Not Included.

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
After finishing 428 Shibuya Scramble and Danganronpa I started with Danganronpa 2, somewhere in chapter 1 right now. Already very interesting.

Then Hamble came along yesterday and I installed Darkwood and Beholder (Beholder 2 was in the bundle, but I alredy had Beholder 1, unplayed, so I figured I'd start with that :whistle: ).

Beholder already had me overwhelmend and anxious right after the tutorial.

Darkwood is super interesting based on the prologue. Atmospheric as hell and really intriguing. I want to learn more about the world already.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
I have finished Dead Space today. It's an incredible game and still a lot of fun to play nowadays. Only the last chapter was rather mediocre imo, but that won't keep me from replaying Dead Space 2 as well. 😊

Spamlynguist

I can never decide on an avatar
Dec 31, 2018

Phew, finally beat One Finger Death Punch 2 today! That is, just beating the last level on the map. There's still a lot of content to go through :dizzy-face:

Not quite sure what to play next, might start RiME or Kathy Rain

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
I found my old Cube World account, reset the password, downloaded the setup and now i'm Cube Worlding again and it's all coming back to me. I need to find my old save, i have it archived somewhere.

m_dorian

Ούτις
May 22, 2019
I m having a great time in WoW Classic. Returning back to basics to how the things started.

The game is rough as any 2005 game was but is a welcomed change from wow retail.

People are friendly, helpful and polite not only because your server reputation matters.

All is well so far.

Nabs

Hyper˗Toxic Pro˗Consumer
Oct 23, 2018
Playing Ni no Kuni II right now. Just hit Chapter 2,and the game turned into Chibi Quest real quick. The game's not bad so far, just a lot of talking and cutscenes. I could do with a skip button.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
I have finally finished Horace last night. It's definitely one of the best Metroidvania's I've ever played!

The storytelling in this game is really something special. I have both been crying and laughing out loud, and the characters are very well designed. It's one of those games where you want to keep playing to see what happens next.

The platforming is also really good. The game is full of fresh ideas, and there are some great physics puzzles thanks to Horaces ability to walk on walls and ceilings. The game has some super meat boy like challenging sections, but most of them are fair after some practice.

Also note the majority of the game is done by a single developer, he worked over 6 years on it. And this shows, because the amount of polish is incredible!

Tldr: Very recommended! 😊

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Started Hellblade this evening. I love the art style, but the first hour has been a walking simulator with a confusing story and 1vs1 combat without any skills or depth. I hope the rest of the game will be better than this?

FunnyJay