Community What do you bums do for a living?

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
And is it what you always wanted to do?

I always wanted to be an actor, but because you gotta be realistic I looked for a more likely career.

So confronted with the decision of working with words (I love words!) or working with tech (I love tech!) I chose tech, money being the deciding factor here, I gotta be honest.

Some years and a short departure into electrical engineering later, I'm doing IT.

What about the rest of you?

Blizniak

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2018
I never knew what I want to do in the future. Even in kindergarten when all the kids wanted to be policemen and firemen I was like "What? That's dangerous, I just want to be a kid".
So here I am at almost 31 living the dream by living with my parents, unemployed.
Kids, make sure you have actual goals and dreams in your life.

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
I never knew what I want to do in the future. Even in kindergarten when all the kids wanted to be policemen and firemen I was like "What? That's dangerous, I just want to be a kid".
So here I am at almost 31 living the dream by living with my parents, unemployed.
Kids, make sure you have actual goals and dreams in your life.
It's never too late! I was 27 when I bought my first camera and it took awhile for it to become a passion enough that I start photography studies. I was 36 when I had my bachelors degree in it and when I decided to give it my future, what ever the cost.

jim2point0

MetaMember
Dec 24, 2018
I am a Front End UI Engineer. Which is a fancy way of saying Software Engineer. Which is a fancy way of saying "web developer."

I actually went to college to get into video game design. In the digital media program, we had to learn Flash for graphic design and animation. But I actually got into the coding aspect of flash. When I realized that everything I would have to do to learn how to make games would pretty much be self-taught, I took the easier route and learned how to make websites in Flash instead. Which eventually transitioned to making proper websites.... without Flash. HTML, CSS, Javascript, etc etc.

10 years later I'm still doing that for a very big company that a lot of people hate. But at least I don't work for the part of the company that screws people. So there's that.

Dec 5, 2018
I work in software development. It kind of happened I mean I kind of knew I wanted to do something related with tech but beyond that It just kind of happened.

It's never too late! I was 27 when I bought my first camera and it took awhile for it to become a passion enough that I start photography studies. I was 36 when I had my bachelors degree in it and when I decided to give it my future, what ever the cost.
Back when I was at university I had this classmate who was 63 and as far as I know he did finish, so yeah It's never too late.

Reactions: lashman

Deleted member 113

I'm an accountant. :giggle:
Forgot everything that you read about the profession, how it's a boring, glamour-less job. It's actually worse than that. Much worse. :p

The salary is nothing special (it pays the bills, and not much more than that), I have 3-4 months (which are fast approaching) in which I always end up working 6-7 days a week, 12-16 hours, to meet deadlines, while skipping meals (I once worked 23h and a half straight, without eating anything).
I'm sure there's accountants that work for big companies and endure nothing of the sort, while making a lot of money. But, the rest usually works with small businesses and clients, where no one pays decent service fees, so there's not a lot of money to be made.

As you might imagine, this wasn't exactly what I dreamed of doing professionally. But, there comes a time where one has to make a choice, and much of my passions don't exactly make for viable career choices, and I ended going for accounting, which both my father and grandfather worked as.

I'm now at a stage in my life where I dream of being able to leave the stress of living in a city, and move to a smaller, rural town.
Yeah, it's a bit like the lyrics of Country House by Blur, except the lots of money part. :p
Sadly, I don't I'll ever be able to. With my lifestyle, and the constant stress I endure, I frankly don't see myself lasting long enough to afford retiring.

Reactions: dummmyy and lashman

jim2point0

MetaMember
Dec 24, 2018
I should mention it's a company that people hate... but only in the US :p

But yeah, not Epic.

I also used to get paid to take screenshots. But not for a living. Just as a side thing for PC Gamer. But I didn't have the free time to keep up with it :(

Reactions: lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
I also used to get paid to take screenshots. But not for a living. Just as a side thing for PC Gamer. But I didn't have the free time to keep up with it :(
awww, that sucks ... you're INCREDIBLY good at it!

Deleted member 113

You're kidding, but I kid you not, when Monty Python got back together for their final live dates, I went and met them.
And, I spoke with Michael Palin, and said something along the lines of "I work as an accountant. That sketch really shows how it feels to be an accountant", for which he said that accountants are a necessary evil. :p

Reactions: Copons and lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
You're kidding, but I kid you not, when Monty Python got back together for their final live dates, I went and met them.
And, I spoke with Michael Palin, and said something along the lines of "I work as an accountant. That sketch really shows how it feels to be an accountant", for which he said that accountants are a necessary evil. :p
what if i wasn't kidding? :steam_pig_cool:

Reactions: Deleted member 113

r3n4ud

Dr. Boom Boom
Oct 17, 2018
I’m the head night nurse at a long-term care center for the past 15 years. Lovely work I do but damn tough mentally.

This is not my dream job however. I have a masters degree in human georgraphy, specializing in geography of tourism. I’ve always wanted to travel/live in a quiet area of the world where people come to visit the wildlife. I’ve had the privilege of doing research in the Galápagos Islands and creating regulations to create low footprint for visitors who visit the islands.

However, starting a family forced me to change career paths. I’ll always cherish the time I spent studying/working in geography, and can’t complain about my current work. Work part time, pays well, family is happy.

Alcoholikaust

The Drunk Cat
Sep 20, 2018
Dirty Jersey
Director of Operations for Air Logistics

I lead a team of 40 highly-trained civilian personnel who specialize in air-freight in conjunction with the Department of Defense. We load and repack cargo onto misc. Aircraft for all branches of the Government and Military including Allied Nation Cargo. Shipments range from Blood and Food to Ballistic Missiles and Bomb Detecting robots.

Range of duties includes checking load plans from my team prior to onload and handling of all Dangerous Goods Documents. As a side note I am also one of the top officials regarding hazmat air repack in the US and have been used by Allied nations for consultant work.

Pretty much a kickass job and besides my time as an Active Duty Load Master it’s been the most fun I have ever had.

jim2point0

MetaMember
Dec 24, 2018
awww, that sucks ... you're INCREDIBLY good at it!
Like all publications, they have deadlines. And often they want games I'm not actively playing. And I don't have a lot of natural talent in photography so it takes me a long time to find good screenshots. So in the end, it was taking all of my normal gaming time to church these out... and I couldn't keep up. I did enjoy doing it... but often I had to rush them out which hurt the quality and my stress levels.

Alas, hobbies and side jobs are something I mostly had to give up when I had a kid.

「Echo」

鈴鹿御前。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
I wanted to be a detective or private investigator to help people with problems. Instead I've kinda just bounced from job-to-job and country-to-country learning all kinds of things and trades.

I've worked security, been a secretary, survived on my own paintings/oil pastel works (Art runs in the family after all), cashier, waiter, martial arts instructor (Judo/Karate black belts in both), and currently bartending for a classy joint where people tip really good!

I've lived or stayed in Japan, Russia, Vietnam, South Korea, Thailand, and currently America. My parents are kinda mad I haven't settled down yet but eh, I do plan to return to Japan someday lol. I'd like to inherit the house and land at least. Marry and have kids.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
I wanted to be a detective or private investigator to help people with problems. Instead I've kinda just bounced from job-to-job and country-to-country learning all kinds of things and trades.

I've worked security, been a secretary, survived on my own paintings/oil pastel works (Art runs in the family after all), cashier, waiter, martial arts instructor (Judo/Karate black belts in both), and currently bartending for a classy joint where people tip really good!

I've lived or stayed in Japan, Russia, Vietnam, South Korea, Thailand, and currently America. My parents are kinda mad I haven't settled down yet but eh, I do plan to return to Japan someday lol. I'd like to inherit the house and land at least. Marry and have kids.
wow, that sounds SO MUCH MORE exciting than "settled down" ... seriously

SaviourMK2

A Kamen Rider just passing through
Jan 1, 2019
I work 2 days a week at a gas station overnight given my... er hem.... weight complications... other than that I do beer money surveys (Not for actual beer, amazon gift cards) or vid shtick to earn extra income. My fiance is the full time bread winner and prefers I focus on my diet and drawing so I can get out of my depressive state. (She thinks I have a future as a graphic novelist if I try hard enough)

OP
Hektor

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
Seems like quite a few of you already have a family, man i could never.

I'm an accountant. :giggle:

I’m the head night nurse at a long-term care center for the past 15 years. Lovely work I do but damn tough mentally.
Perfect avatar then.
Nursery sounds like a hellscape of a job for me, but it's a very important profession!

I wanted to be a detective or private investigator to help people with problems.

Staying in so many different countries sounds incredible!
I wish i could see this much of the world.

uraizen

Oct 7, 2018
i'm just a freelancer ... trying hard not to starve (and mostly failing, lol)
Same; I just do whatever comes my way.

I have a BSCS with a bunch of side projects. It's not too hard to get work, but a steady income would be nice. Remote work is preferred because some days I just can't work for personal reasons.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Same; I just do whatever comes my way.

I have a BSCS with a bunch of side projects. It's not too hard to get work, but a steady income would be nice. Remote work is preferred because some days I just can't work for personal reasons.
well at least you don't have trouble getting work .... i can't find anything for the life of me :( i don't have any "connections" ... and with the stuff i do - you pretty much NEED connections or you're screwed :(

Nirvash

Feb 25, 2019
Currently I'm a culinary aide at an assisted living center. This is a fancy term that means I serve dinner and wash dishes - and it's a genuinely wonderful job. The pay's good for what I do and there's so many interesting & kind people I've gotten to meet. Yet even still, I want something.... more, I guess. Aside from just needing more hours there's a part of me that wants to do something big. I used to write/podcast about Windows/Xbox for a site and I miss doing more creative work like that. Ah well, we'll see what the future holds.

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
I'm an insurance trainer for a major, international insurance company. Ultimately it just means I train people how to take commercial insurance claims over the phone or e-mailed/faxed in. But that honestly is maybe 10-20% of my shifts as there's just not that much training that needs done. Instead I'm also kept busy by keeping our huge library of documents up-to-date for a number of departments and kind of just handle a lot of odd jobs in that realm.

As a kid did I dream to work this job? No. Who wants to work in insurance? Instead I had a supervisor at a different job move over to the company and asked me to apply and go with him since he would push for me to move up quickly as he liked my performance. I ended up taking his job after he ditched only a month into the job and then became a trainer a couple years later.

This job is typically super easy. Days I'm not training I work from home and hang out with my dog all day. I always have music or movies playing while kind of lazily working through projects. I have at least one conference call typically a day with some days they can take up two or three hours, but usually I just keep to myself and poke through work. And they love the work I do and I just got my first full year review for this team. By the end of the year I may get a promotion that's just in title only but comes with a 25% pay increase (and I'm already being paid more than I've ever made previously and more than enough for my rather simple living needs).

And when I do have to go in or travel to train a class they think I do a great job with that as well. I'm an introvert at home but I'm a natural extrovert when I need to be so a job where I teach a class for multiple weeks goes smoothly since I can speak easily to groups and I retain material in my head well so I know how much goofing off I can have in class to keep it entertaining while still getting through material and ensuring people learn it.

All that said I wouldn't mind going into another field, especially something I find more engaging overall, but if I'm honest with myself I'm more likely to do some sort of side project and hope it somehow leads into something vs. move to another role in the company more in line with my goals (something programming/IT related). I always toy with the idea of making some small, simple game to throw up on Steam and hope to get a few sales just to say that I've actually done it. Maybe I'll actually do it one day.

Milena

Lost in VR
Jan 4, 2019
I work in logistics, for the past year managing the imports of feed products to Italy, mostly via trains and trucks, sometimes vessels as well (but these are mostly exports, instead of imports).

At my last job I pretty much did the same work, just a lot less trains and a lot more trucks to manage, and a totally different product to move around.

Of course it wasn't my dream job growing up :face-with-stuck-out-tongue-and-tightly-closed-eyes:

Last edited:

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
I always toy with the idea of making some small, simple game to throw up on Steam and hope to get a few sales just to say that I've actually done it. Maybe I'll actually do it one day.
you definitely should!!! :)

bucklam66

Feb 19, 2019
District Manager for a large marketing company, it's an ok job, a lot of freedom, I set my hours mostly. Remote home office one/two days a week and in the field with clients and employees the other three days. No weekends off unless. I use vacation but weekend days are overrated anyways.

Ex-User (307)

MetaMember
Dec 11, 2018
Planned on working in child therapy, ended up working for the family business after college and just stayed here for the past few years.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It's not what I "dreamed" of doing, but every time I think of getting an "actual" job, the business grows or needs something that only I can probably do. I don't have any particular delusions of grandeur though, and I'm fine doing this for the rest of my life if the business keeps growing.

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
I'm a system administrator for a software company. These days, everything is cloud-based and nobody has an in-house computing infrastructure anymore. Back in the days everybody has their own rack and servers and you have to travel to do deployment, I always hated being stuck in the airport waiting for connecting flights, talking to people who has no idea etc.

Now, everything is instanced in the cloud. Physical servers has become virtual servers. I can be stark naked in my bedroom while spinning up AWS/Azure instances instead of going to the office or elsewhere. Gone are the days spending hours troubleshooting networking issues in the datacentres. I welcome hours of procrastination on MC while spending 30 minutes to create batch scripts to do what I wanted to do.

It's not always an easy job, but I enjoyed this job since I like problem solving and my university degree didn't go to waste (it shouldn't, those student loans aren't cheap and contributed greatly to my depression in the past). Also, it pays decently and I don't have a wife or kids so I can get whatever hardware or games I want without worries.

:wd_dealwithit:

Luminaire

별이 빛나는 하늘
Feb 28, 2019
Account Manager for a small and somewhat scrappy IT company/reseller/services provider.

It's a desk job and most of my day is spent in outlook, dynamics, and excel. The pay is pretty good and lets me live comfortably, but it's not something I want to do until I retire.

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
Looks like many of us have stable jobs

Me myself I am a software developer. I have created a software where we can simulate a paper and/or mass mill to calculate the production, cost and such. My employer and colleagues are using it to bring cash to our company :D

I'm a software developer, been on my current job for only 2 weeks.

Why don't you make shlooter?

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Have worked in IT for over 20 years in various Support/Systems Admin roles but i'm now in Application Packaging and Deployment with a smattering of Third-Line Support and a bit of Windows 10 Upgrade/Deployment stuff thrown in.

Basically i magically put software on your machine and it's already configured and ready to go for the most part.

Gevin

Watch Madoka
Nov 16, 2018
Looks like many of us have stable jobs

Me myself I am a software developer. I have created a software where we can simulate a paper and/or mass mill to calculate the production, cost and such. My employer and colleagues are using it to bring cash to our company :D

Why don't you make shlooter?
Cause I don't know anything about video games :notlikethisblob:

RionaaM

Vogon Poetry Appreciator
Sep 6, 2018
I'm a "software developer", and I use quotation marks because VB6 doesn't count as a real language nowadays. Fred Flintstone would have told you it's old as fuck, and he'd be right. I'm stuck in this job because I don't know anything better, and I have no working experience with what little I know of other languages. And no, it's a far cry from what I wanted to do as a kid, which was to make games. It's boring, repetitive, and I kinda help banks make more money, so it's bad in every imaginable way.

Copons

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
Brighton, UK
copons.wordpress.com
I'm a web developer for Automattic, best known for WordPress.com (not to be confused with the open source WordPress, of which we are just contributors among many others) and Simplenote.
Super proud of doing this kind of work, it makes me feel I'm fighting to keep the freedom and democracy of expression on the internet against the social networks walled gardens.