|OT| Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem - the arpg's are back in town

Ex-User (119)

Oct 19, 2018

Developer: WolcenStudio
Publisher: Wolcen Studio
Platform: Steam
Release: Feb 13th 2020

In Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem, you, Valeria, and Edric, are the three only survivors of the slaughter of Castagath. Rescued by Grand Inquisitor Heimlock, you were drafted into the Republic’s Army of the Purifiers at a very young age to be trained in the military academy and become perfect soldiers. You also had the chance to benefit from Heimlock’s occasional advice and training. This special treatment led you and your childhood friends to be named the “Children of Heimlock”.

The United Republic of Mankind is a kingless warmongering faction that aims to conquer mankind under a single banner to “protect it” from the supernatural and witchcraft. They are at war with all their neighbours, pushing the frontiers back as much as they can. You, along with Edric and Valeria, grew in that nation and were exposed to a very strong propaganda against the use of magic, kings and worship of individuals whether it’s politicians or rulers. You were also raised in the idea that your nation is the most advanced society, and that being part of the army is bringing salvation for all mankind.

11 Weapons Tiers, each tier including 12 different weapons (1H & 2H Sword, Pistol, Shield, 1H & 2H Axe, Bow, Staff, 1H & 2H Hammer, Off-Hand Catalyst, Dagger)
11 Armor Tiers, each tier including Mage, Rogue, Warrior, and Tank styles, each with unique implicits and Defense bonuses
4 Apocalyptic forms with their dedicated skills, ultimates, and attacks
Level Max 90
40 skills each with 12 to 16 modifiers

this is your passive skill , its broken into 3 oval sectors that at any time can be individually rotated any direction youd like to open up paths etc. theres skills inside here like +1 projectile to all your projectile skills

When you complete the three acts, you can access the endgame mode with all your characters. This game mode allows you to level up a new character without doing the campaign if you wish, by doing randomly generated dungeons. But mostly, it unlocks the endgame content and its rewards.

The endgame feature allows the player to construct buildings and complete projects for the City of Stormfall. These projects require resources that you will be able to gather by completing random dungeons with or without modifiers. The harder the challenge, the faster Projects can complete. As usual, completing higher dungeon difficulties will also grant you with more interesting rewards.

Once you complete a project, you obtain its dedicated reward and unlock other projects, which provides you with more and more interesting rewards, including additional bank tabs, talent points, components, dyes, and other cool stuff

this is just a select few examples

patch notes for release

Last edited:

Kuro

"Oh yeah? Aren't you gonna punish me?"
Dec 22, 2018
Great work on the OT once again!
Can't wait for Thursday to get my hands bloody :blobgamer:

Reactions: lashman
OP

Ex-User (119)

Oct 19, 2018
id like to add the game is going up in price come release day by atleast £10

• 1 Act VS 3 Acts of an epic, immersive and fully voiced campaign
  • Level Max 20 VS Level Max 90
  • 20 skills + 8 modifiers VS 40 skill + 12-16 modifiers
  • 35 enemy meshs VS 75+ enemy meshes, in addition of skin modifications!
  • 9 Passive Skill Classes VS 21 Classes in the Passive Skill Tree
  • 6 Armor Tiers VS 11 Armor Tiers, each tier including Mage, Rogue, Warrior and Tank styles
  • 6 Weapon Tiers VS 11 Weapons Tiers, each including 12 different weapons (1H sword, Pistol, Shield...)
  • Character customization
  • Playable female character
  • A whole new endgame mode, unlocking many new game features
  • 4 Apocalyptic forms with their dedicated skills and attacks
  • Unique secondary areas to discover
  • Lot of new environments and several variants for each of them
  • Optional content and side quests
  • Crafting
  • Very cool game enabling uniques
  • Many new and meaningful item affix modifiers
  • Many weapon stances will have new, improved animations
  • Armor skin transfer
  • Very cool armor tinting system that we will present to you later
  • Customizable game rules thanks to area alterations
  • New boss mechanics and boss modifiers
  • HUD redesign
  • The ability to have several skills of the same type with different modifiers in endgame

We believe our game will provide a very high quality game experience and are very happy to keep developing it with free updates.
For that reason, and as planned since we entered early access, the game price of Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem will be increased to 39,99€($44,99), this will be the final price for the game’s release in January 2020.

bold is new stuff for release

Stevey

Gromlintroid
Dec 8, 2018
Backed this way back when it was called Umbra.
Didn't like what I played last year but gonna give it a go again.

BlueOdin

Dec 3, 2018
Great OP, Queen!

Really should’ve picked it up a few years ago but people saying it was in Early Access „hell“ made me wary. Now I will probably wait until it gets controller support because after really enjoying how Diablo 3 played with one on PS4 and it became the main way I want to play these.

Anoregon

Dec 21, 2018
I backed this way back when and I don't even remember how/why (probably queen.). I haven't been paying much attention to it but I'm looking forward to giving it a try this week, it does look pretty cool.

Stevey

Gromlintroid
Dec 8, 2018
Played a couple of hours.
Seems alright so far.
The servers were borked at launch so I started in offline mode, when I logged in later - characters dont transfer between offline and online modes.
Some of the locatioin names are pretty dumb- like Cave 1 and shit like that.
Also, cant seem to see a way to turn off the dumb blue arrow thing when you click the ground to move.
And the cursor needs to change when you hover over an enemy, some of the hitboxes are hard to hit.

Reactions: LEANIJA and lashman

sprinkles

Dec 8, 2018
Two of my old MMO buddies (who became PoE junkies over the last few years) are playing this and seem to like it. Maybe I'll give it a try, it has been a while since the last ARPG (Grim Dawn).

OP

Ex-User (119)

Oct 19, 2018
Game peaked before release at 1900 currently sitting at 77k

inky

🤔
Apr 17, 2019
Yeah, it kinda blew up. With only PoE holding the ARPG space up and Blizzard's continuous contempt for it, the market was ripe for an in between, and this game by design fits EXACTLY in there. Grim Dawn held the torch for as long as it could, but its outdated engine held it a bit back from bigger appeal imo. (I loved it so it's not a complaint from me).

Excited to dive in more today. Hope this means devs will support it for a while. It just needs a few QoL changes to be great.
Edit:

85k and still going up

Last edited:
Reactions: lashman and Stevey

Anoregon

Dec 21, 2018
3 day weekend coming up and I've been feeling shitty the past couple of days, so that's a perfect recipe for being a lazy nerd and playing lots of video games. Still no idea what type of actual build I want to play though lol. gun/magic hybrid maybe

rybrad

Apr 22, 2019
Servers have been down a couple hours with no end in sight. Can't imagine user reviews are going to be kind after all the issues. They probably should have released the full thing in early access for a couple weeks instead of the full release given the amount of things they changed/added since the last beta patch.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Servers have been down a couple hours with no end in sight. Can't imagine user reviews are going to be kind after all the issues. They probably should have released the full thing in early access for a couple weeks instead of the full release given the amount of things they changed/added since the last beta patch.
yuuuup

although - it's still at 71% ... and with that amount of reviews probably won't move significantly

so at least there's that

OP

Ex-User (119)

Oct 19, 2018

they had 1900 players before launch went up to just under 100k today

no dev could have anticipated that kind of jump

its currently 3am in france which is there time and they are working on servers

Reactions: Stevey and lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018

yeah, exactly ... i bet they were expecting like 5-10k TOPS

Reactions: Stevey

inky

🤔
Apr 17, 2019
Bit of a shame, but losing your characters and wiping inventory bugs are pretty serious and beyond your typical launch server overload issues.

They definitely got overwhelmed by the demand, but a possible solution could've been to stagger the online portion. I feel bad for them, but also I stopped playing today due to it, so I can understand people with less patience not being happy.

rybrad

Apr 22, 2019

Yeah, I always expect server issues for any launch of online stuff these days, that's just how it goes. They have had a few other serious bugs though like inky mentioned that could have probably been ironed out with a couple more weeks of early access. Even if they just had the last part of early access be the first act again with all their new systems then they could have at least gotten some more testing and feedback done after the massive changes they have made since the last beta.

Overall, I am not too bothered by this as I have plenty of stuff to play but hopefully this doesn't kill all the momentum they had from the positive word of mouth.

goat

Mass Erect
Jan 21, 2019
I just crashed to desktop in offline mode, I think I'm going to give this one a few weeks more in the oven before I boot it back up.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
I take it the rocky launch hasn't smoothened by now ?
What's the point of online mode ? Is it just for coop or are there other benefits ? I think I read that your characters are separate in offline and online, correct ?

Reactions: lashman and LEANIJA

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
I take it the rocky launch hasn't smoothened by now ?
What's the point of online mode ? Is it just for coop or are there other benefits ? I think I read that your characters are separate in offline and online, correct ?
I would also like to know what the online mode entails, whether it's necessary to experience the game "fully" or if it's just a coop thing or something. Can someone shine a light on this?

Stevey

Gromlintroid
Dec 8, 2018
I think I read that your characters are separate in offline and online, correct ?
Yeah I made an offline character when I couldn't log in but they dont seem to transfer, no idea what else online does, I assume theres co op.

rybrad

Apr 22, 2019
Yeah I made an offline character when I couldn't log in but they dont seem to transfer, no idea what else online does, I assume theres co op.
Yeah it is for coop and characters don’t transfer between online and offline. If you ever want to play with friends you need to make an online character from the start.

Sygmaelle

MetaMember
Sep 8, 2019
Been trying a bit and yeah its awfully generic compared to Grim Dawn / Torchlight 2. There's literally nothing interesting from classes to skills to itemisation to even the GFX. However I think its a decent recent entry for people who aren't hardcore into hack n slah, its polished enough

Torchlight III can't come soon enough :D

Kuro

"Oh yeah? Aren't you gonna punish me?"
Dec 22, 2018
I would also like to know what the online mode entails, whether it's necessary to experience the game "fully" or if it's just a coop thing or something. Can someone shine a light on this?
It's just coop, simple. Some people prefer playing games with their friends, and online also creates worth in the itemization of these games with trades etc.

Reactions: Stevey and LEANIJA

inky

🤔
Apr 17, 2019
I feel bad about them, they are victims of their own success.

It could've done with a few more weeks of testing after updating to 1.0. The funny part is that there really isn't much to the online portion yet, but the stigma of it being "broken" will take a very long time to go away, if ever.

Snakethesniper

Time Traveler
Jan 11, 2019
Didn't follow the game, looks good. Is it similar to Path Of Exile? The passive "tree" and the gems in the weapons seems similar

inky

🤔
Apr 17, 2019
I would say it is

80% Diablo 3 (With a Warhammer 40k aesthetic)
10% Path of Exile
10% Wolcen