|OT| Baldur's Gate 3 |OT| A bearly exciting adventure

Panda Pedinte

Best Sig Maker on the board!
Sep 20, 2018

Release Date:
PC: August 3rd
PS5: September 6th
Xbox: TBA

From the creators of Divinity: Original Sin 2 comes a next-generation RPG, set in the world of Dungeons & Dragons.

Baldur’s Gate 3 is a story-rich, party-based RPG set in the universe of Dungeons & Dragons,
where your choices shape a tale of fellowship and betrayal,
survival and sacrifice, and the lure of absolute power.

Gather your party and return to the Forgotten Realms in a tale of fellowship and betrayal,
sacrifice and survival, and the lure of absolute power.

Mysterious abilities are awakening inside you, drawn from a mind flayer parasite planted in your brain.
Resist, and turn darkness against itself. Or embrace corruption, and become ultimate evil.

US West: 8am PDT (August 3rd)
US East: 11am EDT (August 3rd)
Rio De Janeiro: 12pm BRT (August 3rd)
London: 4pm BST (August 3rd)
Berlin: 5pm CEST (August 3rd)
Kuala Lumpur: 11pm MYT (August 3rd)
Tokyo: 12am JST (August 4th)
Syndey: 1am AEST (August 4th)
Auckland: 3am NZST (August 4th)​

How many races are in the game?

There are 11 races in the game: Human, Elf, Hal-Elf, Half-Orc, Gnome, Githyanki, Dwarf, Drow, Tiefling, Halfling and Dragonborn.
Some races also have sub-races available to help you further customize your character.
x
How many classes are in the game?

There are 12 classes at launch: Barbarian, Fighter, Paladin, Monk, Rogue, Bard, Ranger, Cleric, Druid, Warlock, Wizard and Sorcerer.
Like the races, you can choose different subclasses to each class.
There are no status restriction to multiclass, so go crazy with your build.
x
How many characters can I have in my party?
Like the D:OS games your party can consist up to 4 characters.
x
Do I need to play the previous entries?
No. BG3 takes place many years after the original games and is not a direct sequel, though some characters from the previous games may appear in BG3.
x
Can I play it on my Steam Deck?
Yes, you can! Larian worked to make sure it can run on Steam Deck, though same screen co-op is disabled on it.
x
Will my PC run it?
Check the specs bellow:
Minimum:Recommended:
OSWindows 10 64 BitsWindows 10 64 Bits
ProcessorIntel I5 4690 / AMD FX 8350Intel i7 8700K / AMD r5 3600
Memory8 GB RAM16 GB RAM
GPUNvidia GTX 970 / RX 480 (4GB+ of VRAM)Nvidia 2060 Super / RX 5700 XT (8GB+ of VRAM)
DirectXVersion 11Version 11
Storage150 GB available space150 GB available space
Additional NotesSSD Required. Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system SSD Required. Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system

Will there be a decent wiki for the game?

Yes, some folks from the community have started a wiki

The OT subtitle was provided by NarohDethan

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Thank you for doing the thread ! :cat-heart-blob:

Personally I’m still unsure about my plan. Not liking Disco Elysium makes me fear I’m not in the mood for CRPG these days. Then again, they are very different experiences.

I guess I should seriously look at who the companions are, in order to not make an useless protag. But that’s a little too far into spoiler territory for my liking at first glance.
Not sure.

Paul

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
I plan to not look up anything and just fully improvise. Same as I did in JA3 which served me well.

Reactions: Panda Pedinte

Prodigy

Sleeper must awaken
Dec 9, 2018
Fantastic, thank you for a thread. Bought it last night, so now I am ready to go.

I plan to not look up anything and just fully improvise. Same as I did in JA3 which served me well.
Yeah same, although I am looking up what the companion classes are so that my main is different to them.

• Hug

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
Thanks for the OT!

I have played some of Early Access, but did not "finish" it. It just felt like something special, so I stopped at a certain point in order to enjoy the finished experience more.

My intended party is:

Custom Origin - Male Half-Wood Elf College of Lore Bard.
He's the face of the party, and will be more of a support caster with minor healing, crowd control, buffs and debuffs. He's also a skill monkey, so he can pick locks, disarm traps, etc. I may multi-class him with 1 level of Cleric(Knowledge domain) to give him a few more buffs/skills, but I need to see what the actual benefits will be in 1.0

Karlach - frontline meat shield and BFF

Gale - offensive caster and bedroll warmer

Flex slot - I'll use this slot to swap different characters in and out depending on the situation

Gale is who I plan to romance on the first playthrough, but Astarion is also a strong contender. Maybe both? I'm playing a bard, afterall.

Stevey

Gromlintroid
Dec 8, 2018
Cool thread, thanks.
Havent played any of the Early Access, have no idea what class I'm going to roll.
Going in pretty much totally blind.

Reactions: Li Kao

Prodigy

Sleeper must awaken
Dec 9, 2018
I'm thinking "school of sword bard" as my main, lots of promotional material have featured the bards especially with the music and instruments as preorder bonuses etc...

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
I'm thinking "school of sword bard" as my main, lots of promotional material have featured the bards especially with the music and instruments as preorder bonuses etc...

Apparently Sword Bards are getting unique attack animations with the weapons they are proficient in, so that they feel more performative.

OP
Panda Pedinte

Panda Pedinte

Sep 20, 2018
I guess I should seriously look at who the companions are, in order to not make an useless protag. But that’s a little too far into spoiler territory for my liking at first glance.
Not sure.
You can respec your character and the party members so even if you create a protagonist that has the same class as one of the companions you can change it later.

Reactions: Li Kao and lashman

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
I'm still unsure what I'll play as, there's too many interesting class/race combos to choose from... :notlikethisblob:

bobnowhere

Careful Icarus
Sep 20, 2018
My plan is a Wood Half-Elf Beastmaster Ranger with Karlach, Shadowheart and Gale. Though I might just mod it to run 6 for funnsies

Played a bit more of EA over the last week or so, got further than I ever had before. Made it to the goblin encampment.

• Gib
OP
Panda Pedinte

Panda Pedinte

Sep 20, 2018
My plan is a Wood Half-Elf Beastmaster Ranger with Karlach, Shadowheart and Gale. Though I might just mod it to run 6 for funnsies

Played a bit more of EA over the last week or so, got further than I ever had before. Made it to the goblin encampment.

I'm still not sure what my party composition will be, my main character will most likely be a Half-Elf (Drow) Bard so I think mostly of the time I'll run with a mage, cleric and a fighter or barbarian.

Prodigy

Sleeper must awaken
Dec 9, 2018
For anyone who played early access.
Is it the same as DOS2 where you have to rob everyone and pick pocket to get spells/items or else you were at a huge disadvantage.

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
I didn't try the EA but I have played a lot of D&D over the years and I am going Monk. I don't know the other details yet, I'll kinda just play around with it, but hopefully I can make a functional party with people I come across and like.

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019

This artist was sponsored by Larian to create a song and it's so soothing.

These guys were too. Less soothing though haha

For anyone who played early access.
Is it the same as DOS2 where you have to rob everyone and pick pocket to get spells/items or else you were at a huge disadvantage.
I mean... You will definitely have more money if you do steal, so you will be at an advantage for sure.

Only Wizards need to buy spells, and you seem to find scrolls all over the place. Plus, you learn a couple spells when you level up! So if you can't find a scroll for a particular spell you want, you can just choose it at level-up instead.

• Gib

Prodigy

Sleeper must awaken
Dec 9, 2018

These guys were too. Less soothing though haha

I mean... You will definitely have more money if you do steal, so you will be at an advantage for sure.

Only Wizards need to buy spells, and you seem to find scrolls all over the place. Plus, you learn a couple spells when you level up! So if you can't find a scroll for a particular spell you want, you can just choose it at level-up instead.
It's just that in DSO2 spells were expensive, so the best way was to get a character to talk to a merchant, unchain your thief party member then look in the inventory, see they have three scrolls to pick from and pick one. You then did this with every character you met. In that game it actually came across like this was the only way to play as encounters would be too difficult otherwise.

Sounds like they have made it better though.

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
I almost had a bit of a disaster! I made sure Steam remote install was pointing towards the right drive, tested it, made sure my remote desktop app was working just in case... And then turned off my PC and started to leave for work!

Thankfully I clued in before I'd left.

OP
Panda Pedinte

Panda Pedinte

Sep 20, 2018
I almost had a bit of a disaster! I made sure Steam remote install was pointing towards the right drive, tested it, made sure my remote desktop app was working just in case... And then turned off my PC and started to leave for work!

Thankfully I clued in before I'd left.
I'm working from home today so I can make sure I won't have any issue downloading and installing the game.

• Comfy
Reactions: lashman

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Excited to finally play this.

Been playing Stardew for the past couple of weeks so feels good to get into something a little more hardcore :p

DOS1 was easily a top 5 rpg of all time for me. DOS2 was probably top 15 or 20.

Hopefully this is really good too.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
I think initially map was generated from the world, this one look a bit more bespoke/created on it's own.|

I was gonna remark that it was a missed opportunity to make a map reminiscent of TTRPGs, but the pic's IQ is shit and zoomed out, they may have done that. Still, I don't want black & white, but colors less rich would have been even more gloriously TTRPG.

Last edited:

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Hmm, still having trouble with my class choice. I could see me going the usual way and do a Devotion Paladin, but their oath scares me a little. Not able to lie is not a deal breaker but pretty important.
And as there are several Evil companions in the game, I'm not sure the mix would go well.

Watched several videos, beginning to feel extremely hyped.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
I was today year old when I learned that Larian did away with alignment.
GOOD ! Now fucking do it Wizards.

• Toucan

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
The game is downloading with such absolute cripple speeds, it's barely downloading at all for me.
Haven't had it this extreme with steamservers since the christmas sales in the early 2010's, holy hist

Amzin

Dec 5, 2018
I don't think Steam ever nears my max download speed, this seems kinda like what it usually sticks me with actually. Bouncing around between 20mbs - 80mbs all over the place. Although sometimes smaller games still over a gig download near-instantly so maybe the structure of the game has something to do with it since theoretically I could get 10x that if Steam let me.

Prodigy

Sleeper must awaken
Dec 9, 2018
can't play this just yet even though I have it downloaded but it's fun watching the player count go up

already at 163k
Damn, and I'm only at 30% downloaded. Probably have another 2 hours at this rate before I can open it up.

Amzin

Dec 5, 2018
I got it downloaded and set up my account and settings and the like, have to run to a lesson for my lunch break but any slack off time I have today is probably going towards this. We'll see if I make it past character creation :p

• Evil