|OT| Baldur's Gate 3 |OT| A bearly exciting adventure

Gamall Wednesday Ida

Just a loon, apparently.
Dec 4, 2020
France
www.youtube.com
"A bearly exciting adventure"

Really? I can't agree with that title; on the contrary, the game seems beary exciting.

Sadly I won't have time to play it until... the heat death of the universe, probably? The wait will be unbearable, of course.

___

I'm wondering if it's possible / viable / fun to go solo in that game. I dislike micromanaging a whole party. NWN hit a sweet spot there, which I've never found again.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
Karlach is my favorite companion by a mile. Conversely, I can't stand Lae'zel. I like Gale, Shadowheart is okay and I've barely interacted with Astarion and Wyll.

OP
Panda Pedinte

Panda Pedinte

Best Sig Maker on the board!
Sep 20, 2018
Mind blown, I completely forgot you can jump, since it has to be used as an ability and isn't just mapped on a button. Thanks.
Jump is very useful. Characters with high strength can jump further distances and it helps a lot moving around during the battles to avoid dangerous surfaces.

Be careful opening barn doors boys.
My Bard found the whole scene very amusing.

I'm wondering if it's possible / viable / fun to go solo in that game. I dislike micromanaging a whole party. NWN hit a sweet spot there, which I've never found again.
I guess you can go solo, but you may need previous knowledge of the game encounters and it's mechanics.

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
The talk about "this is an outlier and will probably never be achieved again, even by Larian" is hella reductive and kinda insulting to the devs.

They poured their love, skills, money, time, etc. into this game and people talk like this was a fluke or an accident.

• This!
Reactions: QFNS

rickyson33

Apr 26, 2019
Jump is very useful. Characters with high strength can jump further distances and it helps a lot moving around during the battles to avoid dangerous surfaces.

My Bard found the whole scene very amusing.

I guess you can go solo, but you may need previous knowledge of the game encounters and it's mechanics.
I was like 7 hours in earlier with only 2 characters in my party so I was looking up where to find more and apparently you can jump over some broken bridge I had been to that I thought was just a dead end

Reactions: Panda Pedinte

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
Karlach is my favorite companion by a mile. Conversely, I can't stand Lae'zel. I like Gale, Shadowheart is okay and I've barely interacted with Astarion and Wyll.
I feel the same way. Lae'zel is the worst. Should've left her in the cage.

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
How do i change the camere to a higher floor? I'm in a combat scenarion right now where theres bows shooting at me from beams in the ceiling, but i can't move the camera up there to shoot back

• This!
Reactions: Li Kao

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
My tweaked random generated characters for Baldur's Gate 3 who kinda look like old friends or are very reminiscent of them at least.
They are different enough to not be creepy but when i take a quick look they definitely remind me of them.
I definitely did a double-take when they popped up.

The same character's "Guardian" ... crazy coincidence.

• Eyes

Paul

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
Is it possible to change one's look after the game is started? Hair/Beard or even entire face/body stuff?

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
9 hours in now or so in coop, still great. Now I have to wait almost two weeks to continue.

Looking at the positive side, there are a few things that I hope get patched in that time. In coop, we had some prolonged (but recoverable) black screens, and also a character stuck in dialog mode (and without combat UI) while in combat. Luckily it was possible to solve that by quicksaving and loading.

In terms of interface, I'm generally really impressed with how well everything works and how much though they put into e.g. how you can look at the entire party's information, but I feel like that makes it even more strange that some better dialogue handling/indicators for coop are missing (since that would be comparatively easy to implement). I hope they include something like that in a future patch.
Also, I feel like the balance (or not really balance, but convenience I guess) of how you can use support actions in dialogue in coop should be improved. In single player, you can freely add support actions from your entire party, but in coop you don't have access to those of the rest of the party unless they manually use them. You could say that's more "realistic", but they also allow e.g. directly moving items between character's inventories (which is a good choice of playability over strict rule adherence) and I think something similar could be done here.

The talk about "this is an outlier and will probably never be achieved again, even by Larian" is hella reductive and kinda insulting to the devs.

They poured their love, skills, money, time, etc. into this game and people talk like this was a fluke or an accident.
I still think that's a misunderstanding, at least of what most people mean when they talk about that.
It's possible to recognize an unlikely combination of circumstances without diminishing the amazing contributions of the people involved.

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
I still think that's a misunderstanding, at least of what most people mean when they talk about that.
It's possible to recognize an unlikely combination of circumstances without diminishing the amazing contributions of the people involved.
nah, I mean just normal gamers now. Who just do that. Who talk about accidental greatness, flukes, they will never accomplish something like this again.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Ah, one more thing that really surprised me is that they don't have a timed autosave setting. Especially when you can set a whole lot of autosave slots (a very good thing!) I think it would make sense to offer a timed save option too.

• This!
Reactions: QFNS and sprinkles

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
Fuck this game and fuck the story,

i made a deal with 3 ogres, who gave me a horn that will allow me to summon them, and i just found a flask with which i can unleash a minor beholder.

I'm just going to build my own army and conquer Baldurs Gate for myself

d00d3n

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
I was just punished for trying to power game approval. I sent Shadowheart to camp to avoid otherwise unavoidable disapproval, but this transferred her mysterious object to me. When talking to her there are no dialogue options to discuss this, so seems like at bug. I now have to replay about one hour of the game after just discovering the object in my inventory ...

• Sad

Stevey

Gromlintroid
Dec 8, 2018
10 hours in now, think I fucked up early by trying to take on the
Goblin Fort at level 3

Been exploring everywhere else except that area and it's going smoothly now.

Stevey

Gromlintroid
Dec 8, 2018
I was using Vulkan until the hotfix yesterday made a flickering black box appear in the bottom right of the screren whenever there was dialogue.

Get the same FPS either way.

Reactions: NarohDethan

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
I'm using vulkan at the moment but i may switch to DX11 because i have oddness with my screenshot tools. Everything i've tried just seems to save the same screen, like they're not clearing the previous buffer before saving. Vulkan performance is great, i've capped at 72 to stop fans going wild and it's solid.

Reactions: NarohDethan

didamangi

Who do you think you are? I am!
Nov 16, 2018
Jakarta, Indonesia
steamcommunity.com
I feel the same way. Lae'zel is the worst. Should've left her in the cage.
I barely interact with her and she's only in my party after I rescued her and trigger her first quest line. But now she wants to bang my character in camp, saying I'm decisive and taking charge or whatever. Kinda weird. Or maybe I'm just used to the old Bioware romance mechanics.

Karlach, Shadowheart and Wyll is my party atm.

I'm on the Nightsong quest currently, and some creature burrows out of the ground and the impact threw me off the cliff, killing me. Nice.

Also, I let a bard poke my eye out and now I can see invisible enemies, cool.

Reactions: Dandy and Stevey

d00d3n

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
I was just punished for trying to power game approval. I sent Shadowheart to camp to avoid otherwise unavoidable disapproval, but this transferred her mysterious object to me. When talking to her there are no dialogue options to discuss this, so seems like at bug. I now have to replay about one hour of the game after just discovering the object in my inventory ...
Actually, it was possible to solve this situation in the end (while still having to replay the hour). You do not have to send party members to camp to exclude them from conversations that can lead to disapproval, it is much easier to ungroup (right click menu on the character) some distance from the bad conversation you want to have, and then regroup after.

rickyson33

Apr 26, 2019
I feel so strong now that I have a full party after wandering around for so long with 2 characters

just killed off the
giant spider
at level 3

funnily enough I randomly stumbled into Gale retrying some old fights when I did get a full party, turns out he was like 5 steps away from somewhere I was a hour or so in so I came very close to having 3 characters instead of 2 all those hours

• Gib

Prodigy

Sleeper must awaken
Dec 9, 2018
There is such a staggering amount of variation in this game, like i can image some people playing this straight forward not seeing what the fuss is about, just a normal rpg with a lot of content, but if you dig deep you can see how much is going on behind the scenes.

I've seen some interactions change literally based on if you walk down the steps to talk to people or if you walk up the steps. Things like a child wanting to trick you into buying a magic ring, but if you interact with him long enough he gets frustrated and gives it to you, or you can steal from him before he talks to you he gets impressed and wants to introduce you to his boss etc...

I'm pretty sure Larians goal was for every person/group you encounter there must be 5 or more that you can do things different with them. Even though 90% of players will play the game normally.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Gayle, you are not in my party and you eat too much.
Finished with Moonhaven, will have to come back when I’m feeling I can take the big blue shit.

OP
Panda Pedinte

Panda Pedinte

Sep 20, 2018
So I was exploring a seemingly normal hideout and then I find a elevator straight to the Underdark, after descending a ladder my characters stepped over an explosive traps and this triggered a fight with nearby minotaurs that where patrolling nearby :loudly-crying-face:. The fight was hard because the minotaurs pinned my characters against the wall but in the end I prevailed.

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
I just blew all my money to buy gloves that I think are redundant with a power I forgot I just got at level 3 (but maybe it stacks? But probably not) and a staff to give my main character +1 on attacks because she cannot do her job to save her or anyone else's life apparently (but nails like every persuasion roll despite having 10 charisma)

I was really stuck on my level 3 choice for a minute since I've not played much 5th edition and want to try all the things but then I remembered we can respec so I went with something a little less my usual wheelhouse, seems appealing though. It's bananas that an in-depth RPG based on a TTRPG has a friendlier respec system than the ARPG of Diablo 4.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
I just blew all my money to buy gloves that I think are redundant with a power I forgot I just got at level 3 (but maybe it stacks? But probably not) and a staff to give my main character +1 on attacks because she cannot do her job to save her or anyone else's life apparently (but nails like every persuasion roll despite having 10 charisma)

I was really stuck on my level 3 choice for a minute since I've not played much 5th edition and want to try all the things but then I remembered we can respec so I went with something a little less my usual wheelhouse, seems appealing though. It's bananas that an in-depth RPG based on a TTRPG has a friendlier respec system than the ARPG of Diablo 4.
Are you sure that you are talking about level 3 ? Because boy, at level 4 you are in for choice agony.

And yeah, I don’t know what is wrong (or right and everyone else is wrong) with Larian dice rolls, but my party would be challenged to hit a dead owlbear. And to think the option for ‘leaded’ rolls is activated :so-good-blob:

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
I'm at 23 hours in, and still in Act I. There was a guy on Era that grabbed EA this week before launch and claimed he finished Act I in 6 hours, and it was his first time playing the game. Which... I mean, I'm sure it's possible? But you'd have to skip all of the dialogue and all of the side content.

Yesterday was clearing out the goblin fort. I feel like I've done most of the things on the surface now(I have to find a dowry still, and I haven't talked to the gith at all), but I decided to start the Underdark. Minotaurs are bad news! And apparently a bullette is hunting me, I'm level 5 and have had my first brush with the dream person. I've been trying not to use the tadpole at all now, and will probably pass on the Illithid powers in this playthrough.

Romancing Gale has been a bit slow. We had a scene where he taught me how to connect with the Weave, and I made it clear I wanted him. Then at the big celebration he turned me down... Like not in a "I'm not into you" way. More in a "I don't want to explode way." Everyone else at the camp tried to jump my bones though! Karlach, Lae'zel, Shadowheart and Astarion all propositioned me! :ROFLMAO: I kinda regret choosing Gale over Astarion, but I'm a goody two-shoes and getting approval from Astarion would be difficult.

Edit:

I forgot! Best of all, I finally have a VERY bard-y outfit, and decided to play around with the dye system. It's fantastic, though I wish there was a preview option so I didn't have to reload after testing them all!

Last edited:

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
I might be misremembering things but I don't think the AI was smarter in regards to spoted traps in D:OS2, at least I don't remember raging as much then as I do now when party members constantly step in spoted traps I wasn't able to disarm yet. (damn big footed Shadowheart...)

On the plus side, I have enough sausages to feed a town for 3 years now.

So I was exploring a seemingly normal hideout and then I find a elevator straight to the Underdark, after descending a ladder my characters stepped over an explosive traps and this triggered a fight with nearby minotaurs that where patrolling nearby :loudly-crying-face:. The fight was hard because the minotaurs pinned my characters against the wall but in the end I prevailed.
I just found this by chance, I thought the elevator would bring me back up lol. Explored a bit but decided to get back, after defeating the minotaurs, as my party was out of resources and I had no short rests left. Too bad I didn't find the teleporter down there yet.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
In the Goblin Fortress I found a small hole that I was too small to fit through. I used Disguise Self to turn myself into a halfling to fit through the hole. Afterwards I found a puzzle that, after solving, led me to the Underdark. After backtracking I realized there were several other ways to get to this area as well. Legitimate mind blowing moment for me just realizing how much freedom of choice I have in this game.

OP
Panda Pedinte

Panda Pedinte

Sep 20, 2018
Some spoilers below about the Underdark and the swamp area.

I found some fungus people down there and they asked me to kill some Duergars that were killing them, that fight was so cool and for a moment I thought I was fucked when one of them summoned undeads.

Dropping them from the platforms really helped a lot managing this encounter.

While exploring I found a dwarf trapped and he asked me to find his bag but I had no look yet I hope I dont forget him there lol.

I also found a huge tree and I took a piece of it to craft a +1 weapon that can silence casters!

So far the coolest fight I did down there was against a Beholder Spectator that almos wiped my party as I hadnt rested for a while when I found it. After looting bodies there I crafted a new staff that gives a +1 damage to ice spells.

The fight against the hag was the hardest one so far. I had to load the save a lot of times because she was destroying my party in the first turn. Positioning my characters before the fight made it go a lot smoother.

I might be misremembering things but I don't think the AI was smarter in regards to spoted traps in D:OS2, at least I don't remember raging as much then as I do now when party members constantly step in spoted traps I wasn't able to disarm yet. (damn big footed Shadowheart...)
I feel like the AI is better avoiding traps as they triggered a spoted trap only once so far.

I just found this by chance, I thought the elevator would bring me back up lol. Explored a bit but decided to get back, after defeating the minotaurs, as my party was out of resources and I had no short rests left. Too bad I didn't find the teleporter down there yet.
The teleport isn't that far from the elevator.

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
I oddly have the different impression, i remember having to micromanage the party around traps in DOS2, whereas here they always avoid all spotted traps by themselfs.

• This!
Reactions: EdwardTivrusky

didamangi

Who do you think you are? I am!
Nov 16, 2018
Jakarta, Indonesia
steamcommunity.com
What did you guys do for the Auntie Ethel quest in the swamp? The two brothers attack me because of my dialogue choice so they're dead. Saved the women and force Auntie to give me +1 ability. Resurrect the husband and now the woman and his zombie husband is on their way to the city. The fight with the turned paladins were really hard compared to Ethel herself though.

OP
Panda Pedinte

Panda Pedinte

Sep 20, 2018
What did you guys do for the Auntie Ethel quest in the swamp? The two brothers attack me because of my dialogue choice so they're dead. Saved the women and force Auntie to give me +1 ability. Resurrect the husband and now the woman and his zombie husband is on their way to the city. The fight with the turned paladins were really hard compared to Ethel herself though.
I think the brothers are always killed, if not by you by the redcaps that are disguised as sheeps. During the fight with Ethel she didn't gave me an options to get a +1 ability. I did not know about resurrecting the husband as a zombie so I didn't gave the wand to Mayrina.

Last edited:
Reactions: didamangi

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
After having everybody and their mother proposing to ride my… dragon, nearly before introducing themselves, I was getting nervous about Shadowheart lack of care.
Well, unless this is the super wrong move to choose, I basically just unlocked ‘Hey, you know, we could fuck’ / ‘Why, yes we could’ dialog.

• Toucan
Reactions: lashman

Paul

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
I think that 814K is the peak of peaks.

Incredibly impressive that it almost reached Hogwarrs Legacy. Real mainstream hype that Larian achieved.

Well, unless this is the super wrong move to choose, I basically just unlocked ‘Hey, you know, we could fuck’ / ‘Why, yes we could’ dialog.
Hah, I was in the goblin fort and randomly decided to talk to Lea Zel, who was like "wanna bang?" so I let her down
Then I spoke to Shadoheart and...same thing, except I agreed, naturally.

That said, I am not a fan of that religion of hers

Reminds me of Ashley in ME1, why do the hot chicks always have to be some kind of zealots or bigots :p

• Toucan
Reactions: Li Kao

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
I played a lot of Underdark today. Most of it was fun, but some of it was frustrating.

Specifically, Grymforge. The map itself is kind of a nightmare to navigate, but my main frustration is from the fight with Nere. Having to fight 10 level 5 duergar is a lot. Two of them can cast mind control on you, several are range with multiple attacks and ensnare you. They throw potions at each other to heal. At least one of the ranged guys has an insane knock back. Oh, and your on a platform surrounded by lava so you routinely get punted and die to that. Did I mention that none of those are the boss? He has misty step, a shield that reflects damage, and can also mind control you.

I spent an hour on it, trying to save those fucking gnomes. After finally giving in and looking for strategies, apparently I was supposed to recruit some rebel duergar... but I can't. Cause they tell me their conversation is private. I'm not sure if it's because of something I did, or just a bug. But I had already been in the zone for like 1.5 hours before even starting the fight and wasn't willing to restart the whole level in the hopes that it would work this time.

I did finally beat it, but only cause I got lucky with 2 thunderwaves and cleared a chunk of them right away, and also pre-placed smokepowder barrels to detonate as the fight went on.

Last edited: