Community Book club - What are you reading and what have you read recently

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
I just finished A Dead Djinn in Cairo by P. Djèlí Clark. You can read the entire short story here, on Tor.com for free.

It takes place in an alternate 1912 Egypt. Magic exists, due to someone unlocking the doorway between our world and another. Now Djinn, Angels, Ghuls, and Sorcerers are a thing. The story starts off as a murder investigation lead by Fatma el-Sha’arawi, an Investigator for the Ministry of Alchemy, Enchantments, and Supernatural Entities. As these things go, there is more to it than meets the eye.

I love the world the author has created. He has written a longer(though still novella length) story set in the same world, called The Haunting of Tram Car 015, that I'm really looking forward to picking up next.

Reactions: Milena and Flips

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018

These are books #17-19 I finished for the year working towards my 25 book reading challenge.

Thought this trilogy started fairly slow, and while things happened and a lot was learned about characters, it wasn't until like halfway into the second book that it started actually feeling like an adventure. The ending was a great and satisfying way to close things up. I know there's obviously more they could continue on with the universe but I hope Robin Hobb decides she's done with this universe and lets it sit.

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
I just finished The Institute by Stephen King this morning. Absolutely amazing book. I couldn't put it down.

I haven't read much King, which is strange because what I have read has been excellent. I loved both The Talisman and The Eyes of the Dragon and they are the only two other works of his I have read.

Reactions: Milena and Flips

Milena

Slow Player
Jan 4, 2019
I finished the last 4 books in The Pillars of Reality series by Jack Campbell:
3. 4.
5. 6.

I really came to like this series, the first book was definitely the weakest one. It's a simple adventure where the good guys are clearly good and morally incorruptible, but the story is pretty interesting and Campbell's writing made me like almost all the main characters.

I'll finish listening to the short novella by Brandon Sanderson, Perfect state, and I'll probably continue with the The Legacy of Dragons series, a 3 book trilogy set years after the events of The Pillars of Reality.

And I'm almost done with book n. 10 from The Saxon Stories by Bernard Cornwell, ready to then jump right away to book n. 11 and waiting impatiently for the realease of the 12th book, Sword of Kings, later this year.
Nothing much to say, I love this series. I didn't think he would top The Warlord Chronicles for me, but he might have done just that with Uhtred's epic tale.

Last edited:

bobnowhere

Careful Icarus
Sep 20, 2018
Went to a large charity 2nd hand sale on the weekend and picked up book 4 and 5 of The Expanse, Cibola Burns and Nemesis Gates. Three Iain M Banks books, Look to Windward, Player of Games and Surface Details along with a Dick short story collection.

Reactions: Dandy and Milena

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Unfortunately things turned out like usual and I dropped Break the bodies, haunt the bones. There was some great weird vibes, but I got bored :cryblob:
Now tempted to try Vorrh by Brian Catling. Looks weird and intriguing enough.

Stevey

Gromlintroid
Dec 8, 2018
Update: The First Heretic is my favourite Horus Heresy novel so far, after the first trilogy and Fulgrim

EdwardTivrusky

See You Hyper-Toxic Computer Cowboy
Dec 8, 2018
Rereading Zero History by William Gibson and i need to check out what he's released in the last few years before i go on my James P. Blaylock binge and reread most of his novels after about a decade. Can't wait!

Reactions: Stevey and Li Kao

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Wondering if I shouldn't try a Barker novel, after having read the Books of Blood and Hellraiser.
Thee man has a generally poorer reputation in this length format, but as already said, I have read his short works.
It's a little disturbing that he is the only writer whose books I have regularly been able to finish in recent years. Sometimes I wonder if the lost of loved ones haven't left me damaged. On a more positive side, it could be because the man's work is exactly where I put my line in the sand horror-wise these days. Gory and horrible enough to keep me on my toes, but not trauma inducing.

I'm eyeing Secret Show, as I read it's the second, if brief, apparition of Harry d'Amour.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Started Smoke & Mirrors by Gaiman. I dropped it years ago but since then I also read and absolutely loved Fragile Things, so let's go for a retry.
I... still don't like it :shrugblob:
But I'm near the start so we will see.

The introductory short felt underwhelming at first but haunted me for some time, so there is that. But then you go on with Chivalry, which is not very good. Then The Price, a short I fondly remembered but that did not felt that good upon a re-read. Ending is very quick, like chivalry, not that satisfying. Still good though don't get me wrong.

BlueOdin

Turtle
Dec 3, 2018
Dschörmähnie
Still reading A Little Hatred. Not in a mood to read much lately because I play lots of RPGs currently but it’s good so far. Doesn't grab me as much as The First Law trilogy but it’s only the first book.
Really like the aspect that it is fantasy world that is currently in the beginning of industrialization. At least for me the first time reading something like that. Are there other book series that deal with that?