Community Book club - What are you reading and what have you read recently

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Which reminds me, I wanted to share my thoughts on different amateur and webnovels I read, but I don't know if I should do it in this thread or make a new one.
I don't really know what's the best place to put it, but I'm looking forward to it!
I also have a bunch of thoughts on webnovels as well.

Reactions: Li Kao

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
I'm all hears :cuteblob:

What website did you say you visit for you chinese novels Ascheroth ?

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
I made the thread:

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
I am currently reading His Majesty's Dragon and damn this is good so far!

Discworld is probably next in line :).

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
had to drop the Webnovel "Metaworld Chronicles" today. Couldn't continue after 111 chapters (out of currently 362). When your 30-year-old successful Businesswoman SI in a 16-year-old body in a magical world, constantly acts like she is 12, even I get fed up with it.

Well, let's see what the "SI get's reincarnated as an Ant" story is all about. (Chrysalis)

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
The recent Hugo award drama has led me to look into those things and, are there awards for weird fiction ? or for supernatural, modern setting works ? Mmh yeah, I guess I could look into the Bram Stoker, but isn't it really focused on horror ?
It's what I hate about the big awards, too focused on a genre. Hugo, everything was sci-fi, another one, everything was fantasy, where is my weird award where the tropes are not set in stone ?

Yesterday, I read The Hell Screen by Ryūnosuke Akutagawa, with great difficulties. Reading in English, so not in my mother's tongue, and a Japanese short story at that, with very Japanese terms, was painful sometimes. Haunting. Not particularly supernatural or whatever, but haunting. A lot of 'unsaid', and there is room to find multiple meanings behind some events.
The use of the sorta unreliable narrator is perfect.

Last edited:

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
'Unseen - Unfeared' by Francis Stevens
OCD block while reading 4/5

Anecdotal, or maybe not, because the author writes kind of a Lovecraftian story before Lovecraft (haven't checked the dates). I'm a little caricaturing, as it's more psychology than cosmic horror, but some elements are similar in practice.
Still, the intrigue is a little messy, confusing, and yeah, quite forgettable. Good imagery when shit hits the fan, though.

2/5

Let's go back and try this format again :

'The Hell Screen'
by Ryūnosuke Akutagawa
OCD block while reading 2/5

Haunting. More grounded than fantastical. The author's skill is evident, unreliable narrator, characters that go from seemingly good to evil and vice versa, multiple meanings to be found, it's perfect. And while I thought the weird fiction part was difficult to find at first, it's quite apparent in the fact that the reader is never on solid ground.

5/5

Last edited:
Reactions: Mivey