|OT| Elden Ring - Foul Tarnished, in search of the Elden Ring

Panda Pedinte

Best Sig Maker on the board!
Sep 20, 2018
Something Ive been thinking about, is there any point to the stat discovery? What's in a chest is fixed and what drops from mobs isn't really rare so not sure why one would put points into it?
Arcane is also a requisite for some spells (usually the dragon incantations) and for some weapons.

• Eyes
Reactions: QFNS and Le Pertti

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
I wish I had the time to do a 2nd playthrough with some sort of strength/faith hybrid (paladin archtype)...

On second thought, I wish I had the time to finish my first playthrough... :suicide-blob:

Reactions: QFNS
Dec 5, 2018
I fought the Valiant Gargoyle boss and I had Visions of Dark Souls. After getting my ass handed a few times I tried to power stance (dual wield) and the fight became easier.

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
Open the inventory -> select/back button -> Menu explanation it well stop the game
Is it a side effect ? Probably
Is it practical ? No
Does it pause the game ? Yes
This works unless you are involved in multiplayer somehow. If you have a Co op partner or invader or whatever.

I generally just port back and rest at a grace and then leave if I need a pause. Not ideal but it works since enemies won't aggro while sitting.

Reactions: curi0usBystander

Stevey

Gromlintroid
Dec 8, 2018
What's the deal with those statues that emit a blue light when you interact with them? Are they just pointing somewhere?

Also, has anyone noticed like sometimes you'll randomly get 4x the runes from an enemy, had it a few time when farming.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Extra runes is from enemies that randomly have glowing eyes, statues generally look in the direction of a cave or dungeon or similar, the flame helps visualise it.

Prodigy

Sleeper must awaken
Dec 9, 2018
What's the deal with those statues that emit a blue light when you interact with them? Are they just pointing somewhere?

Also, has anyone noticed like sometimes you'll randomly get 4x the runes from an enemy, had it a few time when farming.
Statues point to catacombs.

Pretty sure Valve has come to the same conclusion that Durante believed at the recent reddit ama last week or so.

Last edited:

Panda Pedinte

Sep 20, 2018
Some update just dropped, still no patch notes though.

edit: BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment America – More fun for everyone!

Major Changes Included in the Latest Update
Additional Elements Added
  • Added a function to record an icon and the name of an NPC on the map when you encounter that NPC.
  • Added NPC Jar-Bairn.
  • Added new quest phases for the following NPCs: Diallos/ Nepheli Loux/ Kenneth Haight/ Gatekeeper Gostoc.
  • Added some summonable NPCs in multiple situations.
  • Increased the number of patterns of objects player can imitate when using Mimic’s Veil.
  • Added night background music for some open field area.
Bug Fixed
  • Fixed a bug that prevented summoned NPCs from taking damage in some boss battles.
  • Fixed a bug that sometime prevented the player from obtaining item after boss battle.
  • Fixed a bug that causes dialogue to be skipped when talking to NPCs and using custom key configurations.
  • Fixed a bug that causes the player to freeze when riding.
  • Fixed a bug that causes arcane to scale incorrectly for some weapons.
  • In situation where the player cannot obtain more than 2 talisman pouches, added talisman pouch to Twin Maiden Husks shop line up.
  • Fixed a bug that prevented the user from warping to sites of grace from the map at the end of the game.
  • Fixed a bug that prevented the player from moving to the next area after the battle with the Fire Giant.
  • Fixed a bug which causes some weapons to have incorrect scaling after strengthening.
  • Fixed a bug which causes some weapons to not use stat scaling.
  • Fixed hang-ups in certain occasions.
  • Fixed a bug which incorrectly displays multiplayer area boundary when playing online.
  • Fixed a bug that allows player to activate Erdtree Greatshield’s weapon skill without absorbing an attack using a special combination of item and incantation.
  • Fixed a bug which causes Fire’s Deadly Sin incantation to have different effect.
  • Fixed a bug with the Ash of War, Determination and Royal Knight's Resolve, where the damage buff will also apply to other weapons without that skill.
  • Adjusted the visual effect of Unseen Form spell.
  • Deleted the Ragged armor set from the game which was mistakenly obtainable in previous patch.
  • Fixed a bug that causes some hostile NPCs to drop Furlcalling Finger Remedy.
  • Fixed a bug that causes incorrect sound effect to play in some situations.
  • Fixed a bug which causes visual animation and hitboxes to not be displayed correctly on some maps.
  • Fixed bugs which causes incorrect visual and behavior for some enemies.
  • Fixed a bug that causes incorrect stat parameter for some armor.
  • Text fixes.
  • Other performance improvement and bug fixes.
Balance Changes
  • Increased the drop rate of Smithing Stone for some enemies.
  • Added Smithing Stone to some early game shop line up.
  • Increased shield’s effectiveness.
  • Increased the damage for all offensive cracked pot items.
  • Increased the damage for the following items: Spark Aromatic/Poison Spraymist.
  • Increased the effect duration for the following items: Uplifting Aromatic/ Ironjar Aromatic.
  • Increased HP healing for Torrent when using the following items: Rowa Raisin/ Sweet Raisin/ Frozen Raisin
  • Reduced FP consumption and increased the damage of the following sorceries: Glintstone Cometshard/ Comet/ Night Comet
  • Increased the damage of the following sorceries: Gravity Well/ Collapsing Stars/ Crystal Barrage
  • Decreased FP consumption of the following sorceries: Star Shower/ Rock Blaster/ Gavel of Haima/ Founding Rain of Stars/ Stars of Ruin/Greatblade Phalanx/Magic Downpour/ Loretta’s Greatbow/ Loretta’s Mastery/ Carian Greatsword/ Carian Piercer/ Shard Spiral
  • Raised projectile speed and range of Great Glintstone Shard
  • Decreased Ash of War, Hoarfrost Stomp's damage and increase cast time.
  • Increased Ash of War, Bloody Slash's self-inflict damage while slightly lowering the damage and increasing the cast time.
  • Decreased weapon skill, Sword of Night and Flame’s damage.
  • Increased FP consumption and lower duration of Ash of War, Barricade Shield.
  • Changed FP consumption timing of Ash of War, Prelate’s Charge.
  • Decreased the damage of spirit summoned when using the item Mimic Tear Ash and changed the spirit’s behavior pattern.
  • Other enemy and weapon balance changes
As expected they nerfed some weapons/abilities. nice that some quests got updated so they may have a conclusion now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stevey and QFNS

xinek

日本語が苦手
Apr 17, 2019
I literally had just applied the Hoarfrost Stomp ash to my uchigatana to see if it's really as fun as everyone says. Then I lost connection and got kicked out of my game for the update. Guess I'll never know now. Oh well.

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
I literally had just applied the Hoarfrost Stomp ash to my uchigatana to see if it's really as fun as everyone says. Then I lost connection and got kicked out of my game for the update. Guess I'll never know now. Oh well.
I use that combo; is there a way not to update? :) I got so used to cheesing my way through encounters with the stomp and dont wanna go back ;)

QFNS

Nov 18, 2018
They nerfed Hoarfrost stomp, but uh.... its still good. I tested it a bunch as I was making my way through Nokron.
Damage seems lower sure, but they didn't dumpster it completely. The AoE is still HUGE and it still hits twice which means you nearly always catch the enemies not blocking the second bit. Still does good frost build up, but you can probably do better with a cold weapon now rather than proccing it over and over with the stomp. I'm still using it for groups. It really anhillates packs of dogs or slugs or whathaveyou.

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
They nerfed Hoarfrost stomp, but uh.... its still good. I tested it a bunch as I was making my way through Nokron.
Damage seems lower sure, but they didn't dumpster it completely. The AoE is still HUGE and it still hits twice which means you nearly always catch the enemies not blocking the second bit. Still does good frost build up, but you can probably do better with a cold weapon now rather than proccing it over and over with the stomp. I'm still using it for groups. It really anhillates packs of dogs or slugs or whathaveyou.
oh phew that is a relief. that thing was such a livesaver for me :)

Elden Ring may not have an "easy" mode, but it definitely has lots of "cheese"y modes :p (I'll see myself out)

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
  • Increased Ash of War, Bloody Slash's self-inflict damage while slightly lowering the damage and increasing the cast time.
Sad that they nerfed my favorite, but not sure what they mean with self-inflict damage, not sure Ive ever noticed that there is self-inflicted damage.

Dec 5, 2018
I recently learned that one of the bossed I had beaten Elemer was supposed to give me a cheevo but it didn't trigger. Oh well.

Anyway, I went back to explore the capital.

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
Sad that they nerfed my favorite, but not sure what they mean with self-inflict damage, not sure Ive ever noticed that there is self-inflicted damage.
There is, you cut your hand when you use that Ash of War. It's not a lot though, but it causes a little bit of damage to yourself

Edit:
Visible here:

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
I use the blood loss one. Its my current fav.

I went through most of the 50 hours ive played so far without using an ash of war. Didnt really know what they did to be honest.

• This!
Reactions: Le Pertti

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
Oh wait, I don't even know how to use it... I just use the ash of war on my twin blades because it adds blood loss, but just didn't even think there was a talent to use.
yes, theres an active ability that comes with it, its like a blood slash. i use the stomp (which, as i tried earlier, is noticably weaker but still nice enough to keep). but the principle is the same.
for me its bound to one of the extra mouse buttons ( since i immediately changed keybinds when i started playing) - i dont recall which keybind is default.

im also not entirely sure if you use it when both-hands-wielding only or if you can use it together with a shield.

• Eyes
Reactions: Le Pertti
OP
Durante

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Apparently Radahn was nerfed? I'm kind of happy I grinded him out before that :p

I can't even really read the patch notes out of fear of spoilers, just ctrl-f'ed my favourite spells to make sure they weren't nerfed (some were buffed!)

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
"Added a function to record an icon and the name of an NPC on the map when you encounter that NPC" gee that's useful 100 hours later From, thanks.

Also furthered quest lines for NPCs, one of which I just killed because he was an ass and useless at that point anyway, even had a bell bearing to get...

Edit: ok so it says added quest phases so maybe there'd be more stuff with him before the end rather than after so I'd have missed that anyway maybe.

Reactions: Panda Pedinte

xinek

日本語が苦手
Apr 17, 2019
I use that combo; is there a way not to update? :) I got so used to cheesing my way through encounters with the stomp and dont wanna go back ;)
I doubt it, unless you just don't connect to the internet. Either way, souls games have always had OP things; just go see what the speedrunners are doing. :)

Reactions: Prodigy

sprinkles

Dec 8, 2018
I recently learned that one of the bossed I had beaten Elemer was supposed to give me a cheevo but it didn't trigger. Oh well.

Anyway, I went back to explore the capital.
I had 3 "kill" Achievements not trigger: Valiant Gargoyle, Regal Ancestor Spirit, Godskin Noble. Plus I missed out on legendary weapons because some late event changed to world so I missed out on one weapon location.
Anyway, finally beat the game at around 110 hours. Played over three weeks, wow I did not lose myself this deep into a single player RPG since Morrowind (maybe Skyrim).

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Sword of Night is the pewpew laserbeam weapon, right ? And they nerfed it, my way out of the last boss, and they shit on it.
Sure, it was sorta cheese, but it made the boss beatable for people who struggled.

Reactions: LEANIJA

Panda Pedinte

Sep 20, 2018
I FINALLY BEAT MALENIA!!!!!

I used Black Knife Tiche in this fight and spammed Blasphemous Blade L2 attack.

She healing even if she hit your 100% shield is such bullshit. In my many attempts I noticed some things about her anime attack:
  • You can dodge all the attacks, don't ask me how but sometimes I managed to pull it;
  • I did not find a pattern or a trigger that made her use it, sometimes she used that attack even after losing a little health at the start of the fight;
  • She can stop attacking early if a hit breaks her posture, Tiche was able to pull it sometimes and also the Swarm of Flies spells;

QFNS

Nov 18, 2018
Sword of Night is the pewpew laserbeam weapon, right ? And they nerfed it, my way out of the last boss, and they shit on it.
Sure, it was sorta cheese, but it made the boss beatable for people who struggled.
Don't worry. Plenty of cheesy weapons and Weapon Arts still around. And Sword of Night and Flame STILL whips especially on the bosses around when you get it. Its great still. Not gonna dumpster every boss in the game though.

You can still Kamehameha with the sorcery, and there's still several REALLY GOOD frost spells (Icecrag so good) and bleed Arts (maybe there are good bleed spells too but my Faith is like 10 so I dunno, lol).

Hoarfrost stomp is still decent for groups (dat AOE), but isn't the end all be all of winning against everything now. I still use it to clear fodder enemies, but single target vs bosses or big enemies a weapon will do more probably.

Mimic Tear is still really strong despite the nerf. They lowered damage? WHO CARES?? LMAO! All you want is the blobby guy tanking hits forever (also gets Infinite FP, so much better than me :() which it still does quite well. And there are other really good legendary Ashes. Lhutel, Tiche, probably more.

There are tons of cheese strats out there for pretty much every boss too. I don't worry for people (like me) who want to cheese and/or min/max. There's LOTS of levers to pull and builds that can do crazy damage. I think they are being a bit too harsh on builds that want to just tank up and survive anything tho. Let people get big and tanky if they want, From!

As an aside, I don't care at all about PvP, so nothing I say reflects that, and honestly I wish they'd segregate the PvE from the PvP combat so we can have fun overpowered things in PvE and not need to worry about people crying during duels or invasions. I know that's not their philosophy, but darn it, it is mine lol.

I am interested in what Speedrunners are going to do without Hoarfrost stomp being so much better than everything else. Are there other easily obtainable weapons or arts that they can use or will they need to change weapons as they go along?

Dec 5, 2018
Defeated two bosses in the capital now It seems i need to go to a new are.

Is that the final area? Going by the map i can't imagine many more areas

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
I discovered that it was my old and heavily used Xbone controller that was a cause of 95% of stutters (barely habe any stutter at all, maybe like 4 seconds every 3 or 3 hours, been an extremely smooth experience). Tried my Dualselse, Switch Pro and Dualshock 4 controllers and no problems with them.

Honestly, in general, something is wrong with my Xbone controller as after an enemy hit, it starts completely vibrating, Xbox logo on the controller turns off and my character only walks in one direction.

Another thing to mention, the vast majority of my stuttering was also in the starting area of Limgrave (around the "First Step" grace).

toxicitizen

MetaMember
Oct 24, 2018
Well, congratulations to FROM, after 3 patches they finally did it: after almost 80h of playtime with little to no issues I'm finally getting that insane stuttering that freezes the game for seconds at a time. Great job, you stupid assholes...

Combined that with the boss I'm on being kinda bullshit, this is the first Souls game I'm honestly considering dropping. I've been feeling mildly burnt out on it for the last 20 hours or so anyway, it's just too big for my tastes these days. But at this point I should probably just walk away from it, at least temporarily, to preserve my sanity.

• Sad
Reactions: Joe Spangle

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
Well, congratulations to FROM, after 3 patches they finally did it: after almost 80h of playtime with little to no issues I'm finally getting that insane stuttering that freezes the game for seconds at a time. Great job, you stupid assholes...

Combined that with the boss I'm on being kinda bullshit, this is the first Souls game I'm honestly considering dropping. I've been feeling mildly burnt out on it for the last 20 hours or so anyway, it's just too big for my tastes these days. But at this point I should probably just walk away from it, at least temporarily, to preserve my sanity.
if the game feels that way to you, i'd say by all means at least take a break, yeah. if youre not having fun with your hobby in your spare time, whats the point?

toxicitizen

MetaMember
Oct 24, 2018
if the game feels that way to you, i'd say by all means at least take a break, yeah. if youre not having fun with your hobby in your spare time, whats the point?
Yeah, I've been feeling like I need a break for the last week or so but I just keep firing it up anyway lol. But once I realized I was only playing in short bursts, usually no more than an hour or so, I knew something was up. The game is great but idk at this point I'm usually on NG++ and wrapping things up, so I think still being on my first playthrough just makes it all feel exhausting.

Besides, P4AU just came out so that's a perfect excuse to take a break.

Reactions: Li Kao and LEANIJA

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
It is a massive game. Im about 60-70 hrs in and only just uncovered another new whole area.

Took a break and played Strange Horticulture for a bit which was a nice change of pace.

Reactions: Li Kao

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
I’m like level 64 and just now beat Godrick , seems I need to be overpowered to beat bosses, so for the last boss I think I’ll probably need to be max level! What is max level by the way?

Reactions: LEANIJA

「Echo」

竜の魔女。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
I’m like level 64 and just now beat Godrick , seems I need to be overpowered to beat bosses, so for the last boss I think I’ll probably need to be max level! What is max level by the way?
How ever many levels it takes to get each stat to 99.
On Vagabond it's like 712 or 713. Something like that.

You'll need many many millions of Runes. Hundreds of millions. Maybe even more...
(Or: Cheat Engine)

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
How ever many levels it takes to get each stat to 99.
On Vagabond it's like 712 or 713. Something like that.

You'll need many many millions of Runes. Hundreds of millions. Maybe even more...
(Or: Cheat Engine)

I was also overlevelled when I beat Godrick... its certainly a good strategy but it surely will take a while. having good equipment needs to go hand in hand with a high level, Im sure...
When I had to restart my game, my first attempt to regain my level by using cheats I messed up and I thought "okay I messed up anyway, lets see how max level is" ... and its a bit underwhelming if you are a fresh character without items ;)

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
Why do patches for this game take so damn long to download and install? It only happens with ER, everything else is fine. Yesterday it took almost 1h30 to download and install 1.3Gigs which is insane, it's almost like I'm back in 2003. Now there's a small 14Mb patch and it's been 15min and still no end in sight...
For god sake just let me play a bit to unwind after a hellish day at work...

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Hopefully that's the only instance of such a thing, since it's a useless shortcut at that point, if there are actual secrets and shit with that sort of thing, yikes.

Reactions: lashman