|OT| Elden Ring - Foul Tarnished, in search of the Elden Ring

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Some times stuff seem unfair or impossible but actually getting to grips with them you learn to deal with it. Like some iron maiden type enemies I was avoiding in the open world due to the ease of doing that with the horse because I seemed to do way too little damage and receive too much but actually being put in a situation where I had to fight some of them properly in a castle area they weren't too bad at all. Dealing with easy enemies from your horse with like one to three hits totally warps your perception of how stuff should be when things get a little bit more meaningful and tough I guess. Never mind the bosses.

didamangi

Who do you think you are? I am!
Nov 16, 2018
Jakarta, Indonesia
steamcommunity.com

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
The game recently really surprised me... twice in a row within less than 30 minutes.

Mid-game (?) spoilers:

1. I went back to the Church of Vows to learn from the greatest NPC in any Souls game ever, and suddenly a huge boss attacked me.
2. Then shorty after that I warped to the round table and instead of the usual tranquil area was attacked in a dark and scary version of it.

This was especially scary since both were some of the most generally "safe" areas I return to relatively frequently, and both were suddenly the opposite. Well played From.
I had these happen to me too! VERY FRIGHTENING! What a cool game.

Reactions: Durante

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
I'm playing as a bandit, would it be foolish to up my faith to 100? I have like 70 now. There one summon I found that has high FP but seems like a good tank for me!

Also something I wish for, is that it was somehow possible to see which dungeons one has cleared or not.

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
Taking a break for a day or so from Elden Ring -- the game is just too big. I've put in 60 hours, am probably halfway through, and getting fatigued. The game is still amazing, but there is just SO MUCH of it. I wanted to see absolutely everything, but some of it can wait until NG+, I think. It's impressive how people have just powered through to finish it!
The best advice i can give you is to make use of the ability to respec that you should have unlocked by now.
I was playing a STR-based glascannon build like i always do on my first playthrough and got bored of that around a similar time as you aswell.
I respecced into power-stance katanas and it brought back a lot of enjoyment.

MomoVideo

ķ͕͕̍̅͋ḭ̼͂̕lļ͓̞̙̀͗͆̊ ͉͛m͕̲̮̆̒̐̍͢e ͠
Apr 5, 2021
Is it only me or is this game super hard when playing a melee character? I beat every Souls game before and many reviews said about Elden Ring that it's probably the easiest Souls game to date so I expected some kind of challenge but not too much. The reality is that I am getting wrecked left and right. My But Hole is getting obliterated. My biggest issue is that a lot of enemies and most of the bosses have long combos and give very little time to counterattack. I find myself unable to beat half of the bosses without help from other players. In contrast, on my first playthrough, I beat the whole Dark Souls 3 completely solo, and I beat most bosses on the first try. I found Dark Souls 1 harder but I still managed to beat 95% of bosses solo.

Reactions: Li Kao

fearthedawn

Apr 19, 2019
They certainly seem to have a larger variety in attacks than i remember the old souls games having (both amount of different attack patterns and attack delays) which means more to learn if you don't overlevel. Coming from tons of Nioh 1&2 over the last couple years i really like it because the combat being too slow and simple was one of my concerns but all the "easiest" comments are probably coming from all the easily accessible ways to make the fights easier (summons, magic, co-op, coming back with higher level), if you decide to take on the challenge i don't think it's easier by any means.

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
I can be tough playing as a Mage too! I'm a glass cannon if something is too quick for my spells, however it is obvious when i am out of my depth so i go away and explore and come back later when i'm better equipped.

Had some really quick sword guy standing behind some crates and junk in a locked room. They had a wind skill that would knock me down so they could charge forward and chop me up. After 5 or 6 deaths i remember i have BIG magic sword. I stayed in the corridor and chopped though the wall and all the boxes surrounding the enemy, rolled into the room, chucked some spells at them then rolled out the door and chopped off their remaining health as they moved around the door and through the doorway. Having big magic sword to clear away the junk they were hiding behind really helped.

Reactions: Durante

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
Erm....So i just got a message appear saying 'inappropriate activity detected' and it kicked me back to the title screen and now i cant connect to the server.

Anyone else get this?

xinek

日本語が苦手
Apr 17, 2019
The best advice i can give you is to make use of the ability to respec that you should have unlocked by now.
I was playing a STR-based glascannon build like i always do on my first playthrough and got bored of that around a similar time as you aswell.
I respecced into power-stance katanas and it brought back a lot of enjoyment.
Yes, that is a good idea. I've been playing a straight up quality build, and there are so many cool looking things that require int or faith. It may be time to branch out. In any other souls game, I would have already started NG+ with a totally different play style by now.

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
I've got a pic with a body length blue arrow sticking out of me and a slither of health left. Fecker almost 1 shot me.
Narrator: The "feckers" had repeatedly 1-shot Ed a few hours earlier while he was trying to explore.

Dec 5, 2018
Made it to Redmane castle I don't really like the boss in this area I've always hated Multi bosses in the souls games I can rush The first one by bleeding it but the second one keeps killing me.

Reactions: Panda Pedinte

Panda Pedinte

Best Sig Maker on the board!
Sep 20, 2018
So I reached Leyndell and that level is incredible, it's huge, has a lot of options in how to movement through it and the overall atmosphere is good, though I'm not a fan of throwing otherwise boss as just other enemies (I'm looking at you Erdtree Avatar and Ulcerated Tree Spirit).

After exploring a little I found the boss(?) there, but I guess there is more as he seemed like just an illusion/spirit. Near the coliseum I found Cohryn and the Goldmask, quite interesting how solving that part of the quest impacted what I knew about the lore. You need to use a certain miracle incantation that uses INT insteadh of FTH while looking at a statue, this reveal that Marika and Radagon are the same. Glad there were player messages there that helped me solve it.

I'm quite prideful of how my character is currently looking

Made it to Redmane castle I don't really like the boss in this area I've always hated Multi bosses in the souls games I can rush The first one by bleeding it but the second one keeps killing me.
Crucible Knights are fucking annoying, other boss albeit optional that match his annoyance is Bell Bearing Hunter with his flying sword

fearthedawn

Apr 19, 2019
After reaching the capital, getting to level 80 and knowing so many did Cealid way earlier i figured it might be time to check it out and i was curious if i might be rather high in level for it now...

Happy to report everything big is one-hitting me and most smaller enemies need two hits to kill me but conveniently come with a quick 2 hit combo so they don't have to feel left out.

• Hug
Reactions: Li Kao
OP
Durante

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I can be tough playing as a Mage too!
Yeah, I feel like sorcery -- especially early-game -- is somewhat nerfed compared to Souls. (I have played a pure INT caster build in all 3 Souls games and now Elden Ring)

The biggest difference is range -- I feel like most basic spells have far less range than they used to. This is doubly annoying since clearly the range is far larger when enemies cast the exact same spells.

That said, once you get Glintblade it becomes much more viable to play a pure sorcery build, and I feel like it's an extremely well-designed spell since it offers a very distinct set of advantages and disadvantages, and a new gameplay style (that even involves some new types of player skill) for ranged sorcery combat.

Reactions: QFNS
Dec 5, 2018
So eh... after failing to defeat the boss i mentioned previously something weird happen.

I decided to go keep exploring and after leveling up a few levels and upgrading my weapon I went back and There was no boss ... there was a festival that gave me acces to another boss.

Panda Pedinte

Sep 20, 2018
Volcano Manor is the bane of my existence.

So eh... after failing to defeat the boss i mentioned previously something weird happen.

I decided to go keep exploring and after leveling up a few levels and upgrading my weapon I went back and There was no boss ... there was a festival that gave me acces to another boss.
Do not worry, once the festival is over everything will be back to normal :negative-blob:

I absolutely love Elden Ring in the open world but pretty much dislike it in linear castles and such. I assume that's pretty much how Dark Souls games are and confirms that I probably wouldn't like them.
What about the huge castle levels?

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
My experience with Caelid so far:
South: This is an unappealing place but it isn't so bad
Center: Even more unappealing and a bit harder but not so bad
North: OMG get me out! Why is everything 2-shotting me?? Please have mercy!

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Wait, when you die and then pick up your left behind thingie, don't you get back all that you had before you died? I keep loosing like 30% when I get back my thingie after I die.

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
I still haven’t used any of those powers, I should look into to those! I’m just scared it will overwrite the bleed effect on my knife
please correct me if im wrong, but as i understand it, the powers are Ashes that you apply to weapons and that can be swapped freely, so if you decide you dont like, just remove it, you wont lose anything, and it doesnt mess with bleed effects either. will test this in a bit however, the stomp sounds like something i want :D

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
I....think the game just lost my save file ... -_-

been looking online, several people had this happen, on all platforms – its connected to the game crashing (also happens on all platforms) and the game not syncing correctly.

i honestly might just see if there is a save game editor out there to get me back up to speed. i spent 28 hours getting where i was. back up your saves manually guys.

OP
Durante

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
That sucks :/

Thanks for the reminder, I backed up my save twice so far since I'm paranoid like that, but twice really isn't enough for 70 hours of progress.

Reactions: LEANIJA

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
took me a while to figure out how GameConqueror (the Linux equivalent of CheatEngine) works with ER, but I'll use that to generate runes to at least get back to the level where I was approximately...and then hopefully can catch back up progress-wise a bit faster (exploring, trying to remember where I got all my items from, doing the bosses I had downed etc)

needless to say this means playing offline, thanfully EAC is easily bypassed when you play offline.

either way, it IS a huge bummer. I had Godfrey down to 50% after a few tries and had wanted to continue. but some people lost even more progress than me.

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
I almost had my save file gone, it kept complaining that can’t read save file or something like that, I just restarted the game and it worked.

i don’t know what I would do if I lost The save file. I think I would throw my Xbox out of the window

• Eyes

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
Caria Manor pretty cool.
Checking out Altus Plateau, pretty cool.
Stumbled on an old "friend".

An Evergaol with a Godrick refight in it. No summons allowed in Evergaol. Also no use of Spirit Ashes in this area. Yikes.

There is just so much to see in this game. I feel like the world is endless.

Dec 5, 2018
After my soul moment and a few more tries I beat Radahn I decided to summon NPCs to see how it went and it's weird you can summon 5 NPCs and if they die you can summon them again it's a weird way to cheese the battle.

As for the save, i've had gamesavemanager backing up my saves, worse case scenario I lose one day).

d00d3n

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
Anyone else having issues with the game window minimizing randomly? I have only had one crash in 70 hours, but maybe ten instances when I am kicked back to the desktop and have to "alt + tab" to get back to the game process. This is when running the game in windows 11 with a 3090 and a 12900k.

Panda Pedinte

Sep 20, 2018
Anyone else having issues with the game window minimizing randomly? I have only had one crash in 70 hours, but maybe ten instances when I am kicked back to the desktop and have to "alt + tab" to get back to the game process. This is when running the game in windows 11 with a 3090 and a 12900k.
Do you have any other software running along Elden Ring?

lazerfox

Alpine Flower Boy
Dec 31, 2018
Switzerland
Since finding the Moonveil Katana I've not really had to use my spells anymore and combat is getting a bit boring. The weapon art is just ridculously powerful. I kinda wish I found something else so I can go back using the spells again but I haven't really found something similarly good for my INT/DEX build.

I....think the game just lost my save file ... -_-
Thanks for the reminder to backup. I just got my first crash after 45h and luckily the save file was still intact.

Reactions: QFNS and LEANIJA

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
My game consistently crashes (but only like a handful of times after 80 hours) but I haven't had save issues, nor have I seen any such stuff for the PC, outside the recent 1 time sync problem that caused some to mistakenly choose to keep the older cloud save instead of their newer local save despite the indicator 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: LEANIJA