|OT| Elden Ring - Foul Tarnished, in search of the Elden Ring

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
My game consistently crashes (but only like a handful of times after 80 hours) but I haven't had save issues, nor have I seen any such stuff for the PC, outside the recent 1 time sync problem that caused some to mistakenly choose to keep the older cloud save instead of their newer local save despite the indicator 🤷‍♂️
yeah ER crashes often for me too: it reminds me of Horizon Zero Dawn, that had the same behaviour: it would crash after a certain amount of time & a certain amount of different areas visited. maybe a memory leak?

anyway, ive been using the afternoon to revisit all the areas and bonfires i had collected, and getting back items and weapons i had. its faster than the first time because i basically restarted at the same level i was (actually a bit higher, i miscalculated runes, but then figured what the hell) and already knew all the places i had to go.

OP
Durante

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I had ~8 crashes in 80 hours.

From my coop groups observation, crashes are most frequent when starting online interaction (when triggering/stopping the interaction or during loading). So I expect that people who play online (co-op/hunter/invasions/whatever) with a higher frequency will also encounter a somewhat higher rate of crashes.

Reactions: QFNS

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
I haven't had any crash so far.

Also, seems like the majority of stuttering I've had so far was during the first few hours in Limgrave, haven't realy had much stuttering since then.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Uh, one crash and the famous cloud fuck up that onetime in 102 hours. On that front I was pretty lucky. But I also made semi regular save backup, at first to leave me options for a different ending and just in case.
Technically it was trash fire on the regular. Shader cache land.

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
I haven't had any crash so far.

Also, seems like the majority of stuttering I've had so far was during the first few hours in Limgrave, haven't realy had much stuttering since then.
From my experience, Caelid is much more stuttery than Limgrave, to a point where some inputs get ignored/unrecognized. Liurnia and Altus are much more stable.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
From my experience, Caelid is much more stuttery than Limgrave, to a point where some inputs get ignored/unrecognized. Liurnia and Altus are much more stable.
Didn't have anything in Caedir or at least, didn't notice it.

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
Soo after a marathon session yesterday, I am almost back where I was.
I did it all in a sprint, basically. Got the items I had, explored the areas I had been to (except most of Caelid), did the few quests I had done... and cheesed my way through the castle to murder Godrick*. Its funny how he seemed easier than the castle gates area where the ballistas wreck you if youre not careful.

As I mentioned, I used cheats (namely, Game Conqueror – which is a Linux equivalent to CheatEngine, but less capable) to get the runes needed to level back up quickly, but by a calculation error I had too much and overlevelled by around 15 levels – Im now 65 I think, while I was around 50 before "the incident". But let me assure you, without proper equipment, it doesnt feel that powerful. A bunch of random rats can still kill you if youre 65 and have no good gear.

Anyway, I still didnt feel to great about it (I never really feel great about cheating in a game I feel I can beat on my own) – but my justification is that I probably wouldve rune-farmed my way to 65 anyway (probably with this method: Link to Youtube ) and it wouldve taken less time than I spent yesterday getting everything back.
I did the rune farming approach because Im still not too keen on the "lose all runes on death" mechanic, tbh. Wish there was a way to bank them to safety. My approach to exploration can be a bit reckless and therefore prone to losing lose.
Well, theres the golden runes at least :)

~

In other news;

I noticed the hoarfrost stomp is overpowered. Someone recommended it so I got it ...and now I can recommend getting it :D

but an interesting thing: when I went to this elden ring wiki to locate it, there's an interactive map.
I used it for a short while to find stuff I had forgotten where it was, but then realised this map full of icons is just what makes Ubisoft open world games so boring. It becomes a checklist (like "oh I should get another golden seed for the flask").

Yeah the world is full of stuff, but its a LOT more fun just exploring it – and finding this stuff – on your own. A lot of the magic gets lost otherwise. I closed the map after half an hour or so.

~

regarding the save file loss;

I found this post on Reddit : PSA – Elden Ring & Proton GE

this might be what happened. When I lost my save, I assumed it was just a generic thing, but I had switched to Proton GE just then, because the game was having troubles starting up (which are probably EACs fault)

So thats when my character vanished (or better: reset to a starting template at the beginning of the game).

I didnt really connect the two because switching between Proton versions never game me any trouble with any game, and I did read that several people on Windows, Xbox and PS also lost their saves randomly (meanwhile, on ProtonDb, people suggesting using Proton GE because of the startup issues).

But yeah, who knows? I dont wanna replicate it right now in fear of having to start over again, but if you play on Proton (via the Steam Deck, for example), keep it in mind. Might be something to watch out for, might be nothing – really hard to say.

~

* whats your opinion, guys (and Mor ), is that valid for the monthly challenge? Im sure I wouldve beaten him anyway without restarting, no doubt about it. but if you think its not admissible, i understand. :)

Panda Pedinte

Best Sig Maker on the board!
Sep 20, 2018
Almost none. Microsoft teams, discord and a ubisoft keboard utility program.
It might be interesting running the game without these programs running, then opening each one trying to discover if they are responsible for minimizing the game.

Reactions: d00d3n

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
I'm so glad I have a VRR screen, the experience even on series S is flawless.
Yeah, without VRR, SS is consideres the worst way to play the game, or I guess, all games. Considering it's the weakest new-gen game box.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
20 Steam hours and 15.5 in-game hours into the game and only 3 cheevos.

Well that's just hyperbole. Its designed to be a 1080p console and if one only has such screen its perfectly fine. Sure "weakest" but to say its the worst is horse shit when potato PCs exists.
It's not hyperbole that it is the weakest new-gen game box, because it is, PS5 and Series X are stronger. And DF considered SS to be the worst way to play if you don't have VRR.

I don't consider potato PCs a way to play, I just see the ways as PS5, Series X, Series S and PC.

Last edited:

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
20 Steam hours and 15.5 in-game hours into the game and only 3 cheevos.
Haha I have way more hours and only have two achivements!

It's not hyperbole that it is the weakest new-gen game box, because it is, PS5 and Series X are stronger. And DF considered SS to be the worst way to play if you don't have VRR.

I don't consider potato PCs a way to play, I just see the ways as PS5, Series X, Series S and PC.
Well going by the stats of how PCs are, I would argue the series s is better than the majority of PCs. So yes saying its the "worst" is hyperbolic. Sure its a budget console sure but its fully playable even without VRR and with VRR its flawless.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Well going by the stats of how PCs are, I would argue the series s is better than the majority of PCs. So yes saying its the "worst" is hyperbolic. Sure its a budget console sure but its fully playable even without VRR and with VRR its flawless.
Which stats?

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
For example steam, isn’t the majority of pcs pretty potato.
I have no idea what is even considered potato PC, there is no definitive definition of what a potato PC is, which is why I don't see it as a way to play.

A lot of PCs are mainly used for DOTA 2, CSGO, Fortnite and League, are those PCs potato PCs?

OP
Durante

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Killed Radahn.

What made this interesting is that we couldn't get a stable connection for co-op, so I had to do it alone with the in-battle NPC summons obviously. Got him down to 5% HP on the 4th solo try already, which made me slightly annoyed at myself for being too lazy to properly tune my equipment specifically for this fight, because I'd have had it if I had done that. Still, just took 5 more tries to do it, not too bad.

Panda Pedinte

Sep 20, 2018
Late game optional boss spoilers ahead

So I fought Mohg and that fight was such a cool change of pace. His attacks aren't some mad combos and he resembles more of DS3 boss. I'm glad I usually read the items descriptions I get so I could prepare the right mixture on my flask of wondrous physick after getting hit by a certain attack

low-G

old school cool
Nov 1, 2018
I'm now level 100 and over 50 hours in. I'm still discovering massive new areas. I'm still fascinated. I actually wrote a list of mysteries -- areas I still haven't gotten to, things I don't know the answer to. The game feels absolutely astronomical in terms of interesting stuff to do. It gives me feelings like what it was like when I first played the early Zelda games (1, 2, 3...), when there was still a sense of mystery because the games didn't spell anything out and in fact hid things like hell. The game is just so on another level...

When I can no longer readily find new stuff I'll finally start looking at discussions, guides, etc...

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
Cleared out some BIG baddies today. Several Mid and Later game bosses and thoughts on each of them below. You can click each and if you don't want to go further for fear of spoilers, stop. I put them in the order I encounted them.

1. Draconic Tree Sentinel - fuck that guy. I think I'm not a huge fan of the horse mounted bosses. Very annoying to fight the horse and the boss at the same time.

2. Godefrey, First Elden Lord - This fight felt fair actually. I died a ton, but it felt really fair. Like a very strong DS3 boss.

3. Morgott aka Margit the upgraded - also fuck this guy. Super annoying "phase 2" that is 100x worse than Margit's

4. Fell Twins - fuck them less but also fuck them. Why do they put a fight like this where it is? Sadism. Must be. Wish desperately there was a Stake for this one. Runbacks suck.

Panda Pedinte

Sep 20, 2018
I maintain that rats are the worst enemies in this game :p
Rats, dogs, birds and basilisks are annoying.

Quick edit: The performance tanked on my system once I reached the the sewers under the capital from all the places in the game this wasn't the one that I expected to drop so much frames.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Something Ive been thinking about, is there any point to the stat discovery? What's in a chest is fixed and what drops from mobs isn't really rare so not sure why one would put points into it?
Well, there must be % based loot tables. The more points in discovery would mean higher chances of a good drop. But yeah, I think I finished the game with maybe 1 added point in the stat.

example. I had to kill a whole lot of magical hallberd ninja knights to finally get the Noble Putrefaction chest piece. Maybe I could have gotten it sooner. I don’t care since I was farming anyway, but eh.

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Well, there must be % based loot tables. The more points in discovery would mean higher chances of a good drop. But yeah, I think I finished the game with maybe 1 added point in the stat.
Like the gear some enemies have, its pretty easy to get their full set of for example armour. Unless they have an even rarer set of armour?

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Like the gear some enemies have, its pretty easy to get their full set of for example armour. Unless they have an even rarer set of armour?
Maybe some rare crafting mats, too ? Just a guess.

「Echo」

竜の魔女。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
On the more technical side of things.

They coded the game in DX12, but by all reports it stresses only one CPU core and performance can thus be slightly smoothed out by disabling Hyper Threads and such.

But why did they choose DX12 if they were gonna do this? Is the stated purpose of DX12 not to better utilize multi-core and even out the spread across cores and threads? That's certainly the case when a competent dev uses DX12, IE: Nixxes Tomb Raider ports?

:unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
I don’t want to shitpost but I’m pretty certain From isn’t that technically ‘competent’. Theyhave a history. Their history has an history.

• Toucan
Reactions: 「Echo」
Dec 5, 2018
I've made it into the capital and then I decided to check online if I had missed areas/dungeons and oh boy had I missed a few.
I doubt I'll do everything there is to do in this game but for now I'll keep exploring.

「Echo」

竜の魔女。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
I don’t want to shitpost but I’m pretty certain From isn’t that technically ‘competent’. Theyhave a history. Their history has an history.
Well, I'm full aware FROM is technically not quite... great. But this just makes it even more confusing. Why go to DX12 when at the very least they were probably more comfortable and proficient at Dx11. Seemingly they moved up to DX12, took advantage of none of it's features, and ended up WORSE for it than if they had just stayed with DX11. 😕

• This!
Reactions: Li Kao