News Epic Games Store

Chudah

Just a chick who games
May 24, 2019
Chicago
store.steampowered.com
This is the first time I heard about the game. Papa Tim isn't picky anymore?
I'd say that game looks like trash, but I've played trashier looking games that ended up being amazing. Though it does seem Sweeny is lowering his standards. Something like this would never have gotten onto the store just 2 months ago.

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada

another egsclusive ... no announcement, no fanfare ... they just made it egsclusive

also not a case of "we need more money to make the game better" ... why? well ...

Taking an Apple Arcade exclusive deal wasn’t enough for them I guess.

Also I played like 30 minutes of this game before uninstalling you arent missing much lol

bobnowhere

Careful Icarus
Sep 20, 2018
It was already DOA on steam, their new publisher clearly approached Epic with a deal too good to refuse.

Simple strategy lie, obfuscate, fake scarcity and watch struggling devs and pubs undercut each other to get a spot. No wonder the deals are gettting worse.

TheTrain

MetaMember
Jun 11, 2019
They are also giving away the Arkham Trilogy and the Lego batman trilogy. I think that they are a separate thing from the free games for the week but still

Edit - Or maybe not, apparently they removed Metro and Everything.

Doctor Ironic

Mar 18, 2019
It’s so funny to me that even to promote WB Montreal’s next game, they don’t want to scare people away by reminding them of Arkham Origins.

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
I find it hard to believe there's a lot of actual real interest in the batman games from PC gamers (the non lego ones I mean). These games have all been $5 or less on numerous sites for years now. If you wanted them that bad you likely got them all by now. This just feels like a case where people can pat Epic on the back for offering "so much value" when really you're being fed years old scraps that, while they're good games, have 0 monetary value anymore.

Same can be said for metro 2033. That game can be had for pennies by now. I mean free is free but lets not make this a bigger deal than it is. It's equivalent to a sports team giving out a free bobblehead to the first 10k people.

Doctor Ironic

Mar 18, 2019
But Arkham Origins was good 😢
Between Arkham Origins, Bioshock 2, and the Devil May Cry reboot, I have a trend of insisting that the games the fanbase hates are as bad as they say they are. They made an Arkham City clone where one of the gadgets is still bugged to break combo to this day and they got rid of every Riddler challenge except the trophies.

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018
The funny ish thing apparently is you can just download the executable from EGS and swap it with the one on steam and tada you dont have denuvo anymore for steam

I have a data cap so I can't really try

Reactions: C-Dub and Kvik

AHA-Lambda

MetaMember
Oct 9, 2018
Shenmue 3 email out detailing the survey refund info; those surveys should be out later today

Most interesting tidbit though is:

Please note the following revision concerning PC option availability.

In the previous Update On PC Version Rewards, the following option for the PC (Epic Games Store) version was announced:

"If selecting either the PC Physical or PC Digital version, an option to also receive a Steam key one year later will be available."

As negotiations with Valve are ongoing, we are not able to make a firm commitment at this point concerning the availability of the Steam keys.

Requests for Steam keys will be accepted through the survey, however, there is the possibility that Steam keys will ultimately not be distributed depending on negotiations with Valve. An announcement will be posted in the updates with the outcome of the negotiations.

We apologize for this revision to the previously stated PC option

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Shenmue 3 email out detailing the survey refund info; those surveys should be out later today

Most interesting tidbit though is:
What is there to negotiate? :confused:
Once they start selling on Steam, they will be able to generate those keys.
Unless Timmy is in the process of convincing them to become a perma-egsclusive, the only point of that section seems to be to try and cast the blame onto Valve.

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
What negotiations? Pay your $100 and you're in. Deep Silver probably trying to shake down Valve for cash up front.
As fas as I understand the situation:
Valve isn't willing to give them Steam keys one year in advance. No Steam release --> no steam keys.
DS is trying to "negotiate" around it and to build public pressure on valve. But in all honesty, and I'm sorry for backers, valve would be stupid to go for the deal.

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
As fas as I understand the situation:
Valve isn't willing to give them Steam keys one year in advance. No Steam release --> no steam keys.
DS is trying to "negotiate" around it and to build public pressure on valve. But in all honesty, and I'm sorry for backers, valve would be stupid to go for the deal.
Nah, that section is explicitly about them supposedly negotiating with Valve to be able to provide keys 1 year later (so after the exclusivity is over).
Which is very suspect, to put it mildly.

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
Batman AK DRM vs DRM free

3900x/2080Ti/Crucial MX 500/32GB DDR4 3600c14
CPU locked to 4250MHz, to ensure consistency between tests (Ryzen 3000 fluctuates a lot). Still not reaching GPU limit though, so probably not needed.

Settings
Maxed out at 1440p with nvidia stuff

-I did 10 runs each, as there is actually a lot of variance in minimums here
-There was an outlier in Steam run 6 (minimum), I chose to no include it (just the minimum). I was to lazy to waste even more time tbh...
-Epic Version was run without the EGS client in the background. (Just click on the BatmanAK.exe, no further sorcery needed)

Minimum FPSMaximum FPSAverage FPS
Epic 1
65​
172​
122​
Epic 2
61​
174​
121​
Epic 3
60​
174​
121​
Epic 4
66​
171​
122​
Epic 5
64​
174​
123​
Epic 6
66​
174​
123​
Epic 7
61​
139​
116​
Epic 8
62​
176​
122​
Epic 9
62​
174​
121​
Epic 10
61​
176​
122​
Average
62,80​
170,40​
121,30​
Steam 1
57​
163​
115​
Steam 2
57​
161​
113​
Steam 3
54​
162​
113​
Steam 4
65​
161​
114​
Steam 5
59​
164​
114​
Steam 6
162​
114​
Steam 7
57​
163​
114​
Steam 8
61​
163​
114​
Steam 9
63​
163​
115​
Steam 10
54​
162​
113​
Average
58,56​
162,40​
113,90​
Difference [%]
9,30​
7,14​
7,99​

8% Difference is not insignificant if you ask me.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
Shenmue 3 situation should make Epic, YS and Deep Shit Silver feel extremely embarrassed as their supporters should too.

I am sorry for all the people that feel betrayed by them but I have no sympathy for anyone that still trusts them.
I wanted to give YsNet the benefit of the doubt, that this was their publisher being an arse. Wouldn't be the first time Deep Silver have been utter shits, and once you've signed on the dotted line to have them publish your game there's not much you can do.

But this nonsense about "negotiating with Valve" strikes me as them wanting us to not be their problem after November 2019. As in, they'd prefer us to take the Epic key or take the refund, and this is just a smokescreen to scare people away from taking the Steam key.

So angry at them right now. I'm thinking I might even sell my unopened PS4 copy once it arrives. Shenmue is pretty much dead to me now.

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
Braking News? Or am I the only one who missed it?

-----

The Tribunal de Grande Instance (Paris) decided that EU citizens have the right to sell their digital Steam games if they wish to do so. Valves current user agreement is violating EU law in that regard.
Valve already objected the ruling.

If the ruling gets confirmed the online distribution market would change dramatically, not just for Valve but also for Sony, Microsoft, epic, Ubi, apple, Amazon etc.

Sorry, only got a German source

Reactions: unknownhero

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
The impact of this is incalcuable from my perspective. The industry is obviously going to resist this with every fiber of their being, and will find a way to skirt it somehow.

What'll happen is we'll probably be granted 100 year licenses to play the games or some nonsense like that and from the perspective of one person's lifetime, nothing really changes.

It'd be nice if we were able to sell our digital games going forward, if only so I could undercut all the shitty AAA publishers by selling their £50 digital games for a quid, but I just can't see them letting this go even if Valve's appeal fails.

Reactions: ISee

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
Aren't they already selling us the right to use software and not the software itself though? France seems to think we should have the right to sell those rights? Putting a time limit on those use rights shouldn't change anything?

I'm not a lawyer, this really goes over my expertise. By a lot!

I'm not saying they won't fight or circumvent it. They will.
Also keep in mind. The ruling isn't final currently because valve objected. No idea how further proceedings look like or what is going to happen next.

I'd love a lawyer's perspective on this.
Maybe Alexandros ?

Last edited:

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
Aren't they already selling us the right to use software and not the software itself though? France seems to think we should have the right to sell those rights?
I'm not a lawyer, this really goes over my expertise. By a lot!

I'm not saying they won't fight or circumvent it. They will.
Also keep in mind. The ruling isn't final currently because valve objected. No idea how further proceedings are our what is going to happen next.

I'd love a lawyer's perspective on this.
Maybe Alexandros ?
The games industry took advantage of the law's inability to keep up with technological developments and implemented measures to stop the resale of digital content based on the argument that game companies aren't actually selling you a product (that you can do with as you wish after you buy it) but a license that grants you the right to use that piece of content for an indefinite amount of time. This is why games in Steam's user agreement are mentionred as "subscriptions". The court ruled that this sort of transaction is not a subscription or the use of a license but a purchase of a product, therefore the seller has no rights over it once the transaction has been completed. Thus the terms in Steam's subscriber agreement that prohibit the resale of games are void.

This is a win but we have a long way to go until it actually matters to us. Valve will appeal the ruling and even if they lose again, the only way game companies will be forced to provide a means of reselling digital content will be if legislation is drafted at the EU level. I believe that it will happen eventually because it simply makes sense. There was a similar ruling by the European Court of Justice in 2012:

But it has to become law to be fully enforceable and that hasn't happened yet.

Samson

Aug 2, 2019
Heraklion
Braking News? Or am I the only one who missed it?

-----

The Tribunal de Grande Instance (Paris) decided that EU citizens have the right to sell their digital Steam games if they wish to do so. Valves current user agreement is violating EU law in that regard.
Valve already objected the ruling.
We had a pretty lengthy discussion on this yesterday in the Steam thread.
Aren't they already selling us the right to use software and not the software itself though? France seems to think we should have the right to sell those rights? Putting a time limit on those use rights shouldn't change anything?
That’s the argument Valve and others will make. According to the ruling, as far as I understood it, the contention is with the idea of a “subscription” to software that lasts forever. A “subscription” according to them that lasts forever isn’t a subscription, it’s a purchase and you should be able to resell it.

Personally, I still disagree with that. I think there’s a reasonable argument that a game purchase is a kind of contract (not a subscription really ) to access software for an unlimited amount of time. I don’t know what European law says, but it seems reasonable to me to suggest you could sign an indefinite, nontransferable contract granting you access to something.

The key issue that supporters of digital resale keep skirting around is that it’s dealing with a frictionless, non-degrading product. It’s inherent inequivalent to physical products to begin with.

My guess is still that if this becomes an enforced law, game distribution will move towards genuine GamePass subscription style consumption, or limited time access licenses to game (rentals essentially).

arts&crafts

MetaMember
Oct 26, 2018
Assuming a 70/30 split and the sales being full price, that would be the equivalent of 230K sold copies on steam.
However, at 10 million they would get a 75/25 revenue split, realistically putting the number at around 200K worth of steam copies.
It is a sales advance though right? So assuming it breaks 200K sales (which I doubt but we dont know much about EGS sales), it costs Epic nothing for the exclusivity I assume? Borderlands 3 would be a great one to have all the stats on.

Also assuming EGS eventually breaks even on it, or definitely with BL3, what was the point from the publisher? They would have made their money or more if they didnt go exclusive. Like I would understand it if epic paid an actual lump sum payment as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wok

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
what was the point from the publisher? They would have made their money or more if they didnt go exclusive
They get the money in advance.

They also get 88% of the sale revenue: to get the same amount from sales, this would have required 226k sales on Steam, instead of 180k on Epic store.

arts&crafts

MetaMember
Oct 26, 2018
They get the money in advance.

They also get 88% of the sale revenue: to get the same amount from sales, this would have required 226k sales on Steam, instead of 180k on Epic store.
Yea I guess I dont know sales figures that well. 226,000 steam sales doesnt seem like that many? I guess it is though for a single player game.