News Epic Games Store

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
That's like how Microsoft lost a class-action lawsuit for always packaging IE with Windows, preventing other browsers from being competitive.
To be fair, bundling games with GPUs is normal stuff. I got Anthem and BFV with mine and I believe you'd get CoD if you buy the 2070S right now and previously it was Wolfenstein Youngbloods (on Bethesda) and control (on EGS).

What standed out to me is that all three included games are somewhat associated with EGS. And that BL3 is included post launch. They normally choose games that aren't available yet, but will be soon.

Reactions: Phoenix RISING

TheTrain

MetaMember
Jun 11, 2019
I feel like I agree with everyone of you with the approach related to the ex-EGS exclusive games on other platforms, no one is right or wrong imo, they are only different pov that lead to the same outcome. Letting them understand that no one wants exclusive on the pc.

Also, as we have said plenty of times, their biggest threat are the new releases. I've already missed 6 must-have games (For what my tastes are, of course) during the last 2 month, there is no way in hell that something like Ashen, which I was interested in, will find any play time whenever I'll be ready to buy and play them.

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
I am betting we are going to see an EGS regular bundle at some point, testing the waters to see how many people will actually spend money on a bundle with just EGS keys. If it sells relatively well, expect keys to start showing up in the Monthly Bundles.
I wouldnt worry too much. They had to upgrade BLOPS4 from the Starter Pack to the full game because everyone skipped that month lol

Doctor Ironic

Mar 18, 2019
Call me a bitter fuck if you want, and it’d be fair because I am one, but I’m actually kinda disappointed Untitled Goose Game has become a mainstream phenomenon outside of just gamers. I’ve had friends who have never mentioned games or owned a console before in their life ask me about it recently. This is exactly what EGS needed, to get mindshare amongst casuals* who wouldn’t be invested in this issue. I guess Borderlands would do that too, but at least Borderlands is a pretty hardcore number-crunching thing that wouldn’t attract people looking for just a simple goofy time.

*I don’t mean this disparagingly, there is nothing wrong with being a casual gamer.

Reactions: Wok and Samson

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Call me a bitter fuck if you want, and it’d be fair because I am one, but I’m actually kinda disappointed Untitled Goose Game has become a mainstream phenomenon outside of just gamers. I’ve had friends who have never mentioned games or owned a console before in their life ask me about it recently. This is exactly what EGS needed, to get mindshare amongst casuals* who wouldn’t be invested in this issue. I guess Borderlands would do that too, but at least Borderlands is a pretty hardcore number-crunching thing that wouldn’t attract people looking for just a simple goofy time.

*I don’t mean this disparagingly, there is nothing wrong with being a casual gamer.
I wasn't even aware Untitled Goose Game was released.

Seems there's a 20% discount already. Happens a lot with EGS exclusives lately.

Doctor Ironic

Mar 18, 2019
I wasn't even aware Untitled Goose Game was released.

Seems there's a 20% discount already. Happens a lot with EGS exclusives lately.
It’s a launch discount that’s also available for the Switch version, it doesn’t mean anything about sales.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
I mean, they already have that casual audience from Fortnite, don't worry about it. And I doubt that goose game is any kind of phenomenon.

Maybe they got some facebook/youtube ad, Epic uses those a lot.

Reactions: ISee

Deleted member 113

Another day, and no signs of that Shenmue 3 refund.

Some people got a refund, complained about the amount, and received a second amount, while apparently receiving replies to their emails.

In my case, no money, and no reply from Backerkit.

It seems they will delay this refund process as much as they can.

Deleted member 113

It's not like they handled the situation with honesty, transparency and efficiency from the beginning, so no reason to expect it now unfortunately.
Yeah, you're right. :)

I just want to get this over with as soon as possible, and unfortunately, while I'm not refunded, I have to continue to receive their updates.

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
Another day, and no signs of that Shenmue 3 refund.

Some people got a refund, complained about the amount, and received a second amount, while apparently receiving replies to their emails.

In my case, no money, and no reply from Backerkit.

It seems they will delay this refund process as much as they can.
Plot twist, Your refund is also under the 1 year exclusivity contract

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
Code:
https://medium.com/@ethan.may/896fc713d752
Mixer viewership is down.

With publically available numbers the whole mantra of buying Customers falls flat on its face. It rarely works. If the company's and fanbase's only consistent talking-point is how "it is just another launcher/service you have to click/watch" you don't understand customers and you fail at marketing.

edit @ lash I can't get the link to work as a normal article, it always wants to automatically do a media link :<

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018

If it helps at all most of this phenomenon is likely being played out on the switch.

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
I feel like I'd have to know how cyclical viewership data is in traditional mediums to really know what that Twitch and Mixer data means. Maybe slower growth or even a slight decline should be excepted in Q3 because people return to work and school? I dunno.
Twitch had a little dip upwards the same Q3 and a little dip downwards in Q2.

The hours streamed metric is interesting. It nearly tripled for Mixer in Q3 while the hours watched took a dive. That means that more and more "influencers" are streaming (or streaming longer" but the viewers don't watch it.

PC-Patriot

Press Any key, where the hell is it ?
Aug 5, 2019
I see RDR 2 is coming to the PC in November on Rockstar shite social club game launcher thing and EGS have a massive ONE MONTH exclusivity. It is coming to steam in December. At this point I so very much wish Epic and Tim could kindly fuck off

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
the whole thing is wrong.

If they cared about the cut they wouldn't release on EGS and Steam and make it Rockstarlauncher exclusive.
If they cared about the cut they would make the exclusivity longer.

If the exclusivity money is "only" a sales guarantee, the cut means nothing, because the copy is already paid for. (Rockstar would be stupid to only demand a sales guarantee, though.)

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
The Steam part is wrong though. RDR2 is one of those game that sells like hotcakes and Rockstar will get a wider margin. But hey, it's 2019 so fuck facts amirite?
I mean it was wrong since inception since they never took in account that they can also sell Steam keys to all kinds of other physical and digital resellers for 0% Steam fee and that they actually offer lots of shit in return for what they take rather than just a barebones "other launcher" but yeah, that's an especially striking "good lord you're so biased/ignorant I can't even" moment. Hence he and the other shills will double down on it rather than take any step back, lol. People will respond with facts therefor he'll then be a victim of that toxic Steam userbase who can't handle his truthbombs, any reaction just proves his righteousness!

Reactions: Samson

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
Any time someone brings out the argument that it's because of the margins that these things happen they immediately get side eye from me.

They know this happens because of the bag of money paid out. Zhuge especially knows with his business acumen. This kind of language is why people assume Epic is paying everyone off to parrot this nonsense. It's incredibly disingenuous. If the media or analysts or whoever don't want these accusations around then stop fostering it by saying disingenuous things.

Doctor Ironic

Mar 18, 2019
Any time someone brings out the argument that it's because of the margins that these things happen they immediately get side eye from me.

They know this happens because of the bag of money paid out. Zhuge especially knows with his business acumen. This kind of language is why people assume Epic is paying everyone off to parrot this nonsense. It's incredibly disingenuous. If the media or analysts or whoever don't want these accusations around then stop fostering it by saying disingenuous things.
Seriously: has there been ANY indie dev who said they’re taking the Epic deal for the better cut and not for the exclusivity bonus? I’m pretty sure everyone’s aware that the loss in visibility and thus sales you get from EGS is too big for the bigger share to compensate.

IF it even is a bigger cut, given how they expect you to pay influencers and do all your own marketing.

Reactions: xinek and lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
lol, the only reason RDR 2 is coming one moth late is because Tim paid for it. I guarantee it. He just can't afford a longer period.
it's either that ... or rockstar were already planning on doing steam one month later (honestly, i wouldn't put it past them) and Tim only paid them to release on egs at the same time as their shitty launcher