News Epic Games Store

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
It would be interesting to know if they counted Steam sales of the first game as Uplay sales? Without knowing that their point is kinda moot.
probably ... i mean - you still need udontplay to play that game (even if it's a neutered version of the launcher)

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
This DRM update makes you not able to add the game as a custom Steam game so you cannot use the Steam controller or Steam Big Picture or anything like that.
Is Tim petty enough to decree that no game bought on eggs can use the Steam clients wealth of features.....

Our survey says......

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
Overall sales, sure; but Uplay way up. Depending on how long a game Ubi is looking to play here, that might be a calculated risk. Really try to offset lost sales with 100% uplay profit
Doesn't matter if your uPlay sales were way up if they couldn't outsell the steam sales.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Doesn't matter if your uPlay sales were way up if they couldn't outsell the steam sales.
pretty sure they've been outselling steam for a while (or, at the very least - selling just as well as steam)

you have to remember - ALL keys outside of steam were udotnplay keys ... you could ONLY get the steam version directly on steam

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Fucking bullshit. I've been live and let live with Epic for a while but this is height of bullshit. You don't fuck with the PC ecosystem this way and then claim your saving it.
This move makes perfectly sense for a company that wants to keep an entire generation of gamers away from Steam tbh.

Reactions: lashman

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
The first games that went EGS exclusive are coming to Steam in the next few months, right? Hades, Ashen and other early EGS titles? I'm very curious to see how they'll do on Steam.
I'm much more curious to see how much they're going to charge for them. Will they be foolish enough to charge full price for a 1 year old game?

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
I'm much more curious to see how much they're going to charge for them. Will they be foolish enough to charge full price for a 1 year old game?
indies probably won't .... AAAs, though? you bet your ass they're all gonna be $60 (with some DLC added to make it a "complete edition")

Reactions: kio

AHA-Lambda

MetaMember
Oct 9, 2018

Announcing your release date 2 days prior to release doesn’t seem like a good idea when you’re EGS exclusive. Also Kine releasing the day before. Epic’s exclusives keep releasing right next to eachother or on the same day. You’d think they would want to space them out a bit
I've noticed this as a trend in general with many indies lately, announcing release dates with very little time in advance.
It's a bloody stupid thing to do.

Reactions: Arsene

Ruvon

Chaotic writer
May 15, 2019
France
cabinetdechaologie.wordpress.com
I've noticed this as a trend in general with many indies lately, announcing release dates with very little time in advance.
It's a bloody stupid thing to do.
When you don't have wishlists as reminder, it's maybe better to shorten the time between announcement and release so players don't forget the game exists and use the possible hype when it's still alive...

Reactions: Copons and lashman

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
indies probably won't .... AAAs, though? you bet your ass they're all gonna be $60 (with some DLC added to make it a "complete edition")
Apart from B3 and Ubi junk are there any other AAA exclusives? Can't think of anything else...

Myradeer

Rayon de Soleil
Apr 17, 2019
The hope was obviously that EGS would be good for smaller games. On the most part it seems not to be.

I reckon we'll see more talk like Devolver, about "resetting" the discussion on Steam's cut, because Valve has clearly not given in to the pressure and some developers/publishers of smaller games clearly want to try and rebuild bridges.

Basically, from an indie perspective, the gambit to force Steam into a better revenue split has failed. At this point anyone going to EGS knows their game will sell like shit, but they're doing it for the guaranteed cash. The jury is still out on mid-tier and AAA games, however. I think if the poor sales tail impacts the bottom line then Epic will have to fork over more cash for AAA exclusives or make the exclusivity window shorter.
I am not too inclined to believe their perspectives turned. Due to how Epic's pre-payment works, developers who have not met aforementioned goals are encouraged to promote Steam sales for same reason they chose to go Epic exclusive: greed.

tmarg

Apr 20, 2019
I am not too inclined to believe their perspectives turned. Due to how Epic's pre-payment works, developers who have not met aforementioned goals are encouraged to promote Steam sales for same reason they chose to go Epic exclusive: greed.
I suspect Devolver is having issues due to Epic now. Not so much because of the games that did sign exclusives, but because they now need to sign new games that don't already have exclusives, and the developers know that signing with them will get them caught up in the Epic backlash without actually getting any of the money.

Reactions: Deleted member 113

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
I suspect Devolver is having issues due to Epic now. Not so much because of the games that did sign exclusives, but because they now need to sign new games that don't already have exclusives, and the developers know that signing with them will get them caught up in the Epic backlash without actually getting any of the money.
I doubt this. The absolute majority of indie developers would be happy to sign an exclusivity deal with Epic.

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
I doubt this. The absolute majority of indie developers would be happy to sign an exclusivity deal with Epic.
The ones who only want a paycheck and not a future.

And let me say it here: I don't care about indie developers who only make games to get a paycheck or gamble on success. If you need to survive, if you need a steady paycheck, get a job at a big Studio, a normal software studio or outside of programming.

The point about tmarg was making: Devolver has dozens upon dozens of developers. only a fraction will get an exclusive deal. And even if Devolver makes a company-wide exclusive deal with Epic that includes every release for a year, how much money do you think the indie developer gets out of this deal?
If you got the publishing deal with Devolver over a forecast of selling x amount of copies Devolver may be the good guy and gives you the equivalent cashout from the exclusivity deal or a "little" less because it is risk-free money. But what if you are confident in your product and after 2 years of work and high placing on peoples wishlist, you just know that your game will blow the forecast out of the water? An epic deal would possibly kill your fanbase and you will get a fraction of the possible payout because Devolver made a deal with epic and only pays you the agreed upon forecast.

TioChuck

More Yellow 🤷‍♂️
Dec 31, 2018
So Control is not DRM free anymore on EGS and Online Only... That's... new... were there any game that added DRM so far after launch like this? I can't remember any.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
So Control is not DRM free anymore on EGS and Online Only... That's... new... were there any game that added DRM so far after launch like this? I can't remember any.
This happened with Subnautica and What Remains of Edith Finch as well.

Wouldn't be surprised if Control was pirated more on pc than it sold on EGS.
I also bet it will be on Game Pass soon.

Cordelia

MetaMember
Jun 10, 2019

tmarg

Apr 20, 2019
Probably. But the vast majority of them can't get one. So signing with Devolver rewards them with the backlash from devolver's previous exclusivity deals, but none of the money. Unless Devolver can promise all of their games will get a deal, they are going to have a problem.

Reactions: Ge0force

MJunioR

MetaMember
Mar 13, 2019
and Kine was out yesterday ... i wonder if anyone even noticed
Kine's dev made an AMA on Reddit and it got really popular, might've reached front page. I won't be surprised if that is the last time I hear about it until it shows up on the upcoming games list on Steam.

Phoenix RISING

A phoenix always RISES!
Apr 23, 2019
Ann Arbor, MI
www.geeksundergrace.com
It will be interesting to see how this first crop of Eggs games sell when back on Steam. If they sell well then the decision to go exclusive for a year was a good one (for those devs), Paid up front and then launch for real. If they sell badly then those devs might struggle to get another exclusivity deal and have lost any momentum their future games might have.

Either way i don't think its great for us the customer. Either exclusives become the norm and we get year delays on games we are interested in or those devs will go bust once the exclusivity is over and they then struggle back in the COMPETITION pit.
I disagree. I think that selling well on Steam will show devs where the money really is, since they will starve after the EGS bankroll and earn nothing after the upfront money until the games finally release on Steam.

I mean, look at Devolver already backtracking. They know.

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Cordelia Yeah, i read the comments up to the point that the Console Warriors turned up and started harping on about "Another Launcher" followed by "I'm not a PC Gamer but" and i was out.

... and then i read a bit further and i'd like to think it's a case of "Person who took Company's money says Company is good" kind of thing otherwise, yeah i'm going to disagree with a whole lot of their opinions. Bleh.

Last edited:

MJunioR

MetaMember
Mar 13, 2019

Kine dev said:
I actually do want to support what Epic is doing because I'd rather not have to pay for a bunch of Steam features that I don't use
[...]
I also think competition is good and healthy so... I'm obviously very pro-Epic right now.
That's all you needed to say to convince me to not buy your game when it comes to Steam, best of luck tho!

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
"I love Valve, but I've decided to sign a deal with Epic to boycott their store anyway"

I mean, look at Devolver already backtracking
This isn't happening.m afaik. Devolver has been defending exclusivity deals in their recent interview with GameSpot.

That's all you needed to say to convince me to not buy your game when it comes to Steam, best of luck tho!
Same here. Developers considering moneyhats as healthy competition can GTFO. I'm losing more and more respect for developers because of this kind of nonsense.

Last edited:

Phoenix RISING

A phoenix always RISES!
Apr 23, 2019
Ann Arbor, MI
www.geeksundergrace.com
This isn't happening.m afaik. Devolver has been defending exclusivity deals in their recent interview with GameSpot.
I wasn't saying that Devolver was going to decline EGS moneyhats. I'm saying that they're admitting that there is a high level of risk involved with EGS, and because not of PR, but the bottom-line.

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
That "features I don't use" is a non argument from people that likely don't even (want to?) know what Steam offers without even realizing. Like yeah you don't wanna pay a translator $100 to then give your game a chance on emerging markets Steam actually nurtures with their currency and payment method support? Your loss then and I don't need to feel bad for you and submit to a lesser service because you can't bother understanding the industry you're part of. Every game uses Steam features even if they don't have online modes, achievements, leaderboards, cards or whatever else people seem to narrow it down to.

The visibility argument is a flat out lie, EGS is a total mess in that regard, how can they possibly say that with a straight face when it's a 1 page game dump?

And yeah, you won the fortnite lottery, good for you. That's not competition, it's not for "indies" or for anyone who is flat out denied the chance to get on the store by default unless they pass the Tim Sweeney approval test of the current mood/whim and submit to shitty terms, you just (think you) got lucky.

Last edited:

Nabs

Hyper˗Toxic Pro˗Consumer
Oct 23, 2018
These discounts won't convince anyone to buy anything they weren't already planning on buying. Seems like a waste of a sale banner.

And about the dev above, I have no problem with small teams taking the cash and running. If you're a dev team of 1-2 people, that's probably a decent amount of money. Imagine how you'd feel about a company giving you a lottery ticket.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Plus, Ashen and Hades are out in December, Blands 3 is out in about 5 months, WWZs playerbase is reportedly dying (I guess thats why the game is on Xbox Game Pass to help it) and it will release on Steam in april (not that long) assuming the devs want to release it on more platforms after 1 year.

Control is the only one intriguing as it's still a long time til Steam release + it's apparently a really good SP story driven game.

However, the latest update that put the DRM into the game is so far putting me off it.

The rest of it (Heavy Rain, Beyond, Sinking City etc.) are not interesting enough for me to buy and play now with so many other games I need to finish.

Also, the discounts themself are pretty shit.

Flips

Overwhelmingly Positive
May 12, 2019
Control is the only one intriguing as it's still a long time til Steam release + it's apparently a really good SP story driven game.
The DLC is PS4 timed exclusive, so you might as well wait for the complete edition on Steam.