News Epic Games Store

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
I wasn't saying that Devolver was going to decline EGS moneyhats. I'm saying that they're admitting that there is a high level of risk involved with EGS, and because of PR, but the bottom-line.
Oh I see, thanks for clearing that up!

I don't think there's a high level of risk tho. Many pc gamers are tired of being vocal against EGS, and even more of them caved in for BL3. I'm pretty sure that I'm an absolute minority in boycotting games involved in Epic's moneyhats.

Reactions: Phoenix RISING

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
That "features I don't use" is a non argument from people that likely don't even (want to?) know what Steam offers without even realizing. Like yeah you don't wanna pay a translator $100 to then give your game a chance on emerging markets Steam actually nurtures with their currency and payment method support? Your loss then and I don't need to feel bad for you and submit to a lesser service because you can't bother understanding the industry you're part of. Every game uses Steam features even if they don't have online modes, achievements, leaderboards, cards or whatever else people seem to narrow it down to.
their (all the devs that said the "i don't want to pay for the features i don't need" bit) thinking is that they would be giving volvo less money if they weren't "forced" to have those features ... which is, like, not how stuff works ... at all

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
their (all the devs that said the "i don't want to pay for the features i don't need" bit) thinking is that they would be giving volvo less money if they weren't "forced" to have those features ... which is, like, not how stuff works ... at all
"It is Communism! What it is! I have to pay for things I don't use and subsidize other, (lesser) beings. Just let me pay what I use, it works in US healthcare. I'd rather have nothing at all, then to help other people."

Reactions: Ruvon and lashman

madjoki

👀 I see you
Sep 19, 2018
Who remembers how epic promised cheaper games?

This was released today on Steam & EGS:

Epic will probably price match Steam after few days, but before that you have to pay more.

(Reason is because they use default prices for both platforms, this happens with many games with sim-release steam/egs).
EGS fixes it after someone complains in the internet at least. no such hope for games not on Steam.

MJunioR

MetaMember
Mar 13, 2019

Epic will probably price match Steam after few days, but before that you have to pay more.

(Reason is because they use default prices for both platforms, this happens with many games with sim-release steam/egs).
EGS fixes it after someone complains in the internet at least. no such hope for games not on Steam.
but

but

but

my metro exodus

Cordelia

MetaMember
Jun 10, 2019

That last sentence tho.

Lol it's $23.99 on EGS and $8.2 on Steam for me.
but

but

but

my metro exodus
US only :sorryblob:

Reactions: xinek and lashman

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada

$28CAD on Steam and $40 on EGS.

Lmao amazing job Epic

Reactions: Dandy and Ruvon

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

How you too can pretend you're helping others when really you just want to bring attention to yourself.

Dump your gif among 1000 replies, great visibility for you indies, it's totally not about my twitter account.

I know it's old I just saw it retweeted by a VR game's account.

Last edited:

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
So a reddit user submitted a support ticket on the Tetris website asking if Tetris Effect was coming to Steam next year (it was likely going to happen, they confirmed it was timed but never mentioned any other platforms.) and got an official confirmation for "Late 2020". Which is weird because the exclusivity deal ends in July.

Thank you for reaching out to us. We're glad to hear that you love Tetris and that you're interested in purchasing Tetris Effect for the Steam platform. At the moment, with respect to PC, Tetris Effect is only available via the Epic Games Store. However, the good news is that there are plans to bring Tetris Effect to Steam late next year!

Thank you so much for your patience and we appreciate your support!

- Tetris Support Team

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
So a reddit user submitted a support ticket on the Tetris website asking if Tetris Effect was coming to Steam next year (it was likely going to happen, they confirmed it was timed but never mentioned any other platforms.) and got an official confirmation for "Late 2020". Which is weird because the exclusivity deal ends in July.
I assume there are just being deliberately vague Arsene. Be surprised if it wasn't 12 months to the minute.
yeah ... watch it get a "coming soon" store page in, like, March

Chudah

Just a chick who games
May 24, 2019
Chicago
store.steampowered.com
I've seen several people asking around if Manifold Garden is any good, and it occurred to me that it's very possible some of these indie devs who are struggling over on the EGS may actually be hurt by the lack of Steam Reviews. Here you have these developers running from critique of their work not realizing that said critique actually encourages purchases. Unless a game goes viral, you're basically at the mercy of what little information gets shared on reddit and Twitter about your game. And possibly streams.

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
If you are using your head, every Review is useful. And getting away with it is a massive misstep.

The first thing I do when I want to buy a game (and was not already converted by YT or Twitch videos), is looking at NEGATIVE reviews. As an intelligent person, you can easily filter out and/or ignore troll and bad-faith reviews. But the rest of the negative reviews are meaningful.
The reason is manyfold but can be scrapped down to one thing: unhappy customers are better on giving information than happy customers.
The reason the customers are unhappy with the product fall in 4 categories for my purchase decision:
1. Ignore / not applicable
2. agree
3. disagree
4. research

In the first category fall things like specific technical issues or other meta issues that have nothing to do with gameplay.
Second category is where the game could land in the not "buying pile" because the issues that are listed there could impact my decision.
The third category is where my specific niche gameplay attraction comes into play. Things that are negative for some or most users could be a positive for my desire to play the game. Things like "too long, too complex", [specific] type of gameplay (like turnbased, or rtwp, or real time, or action based, etc.)
The fourth category is the one where I am unsure of how big the issue is and have to look further.

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
» The Pyramids of Giza (A Wonders of the World Book) The Digital Antiquarian

If you do buy a copy, or you got a free copy as an Analog Antiquarian patron, or if you have just been following the ongoing series on the web, I’d hugely appreciate it if you could write a quick (and honest) review at either the American Amazon site or your local version of same (the book should be available worldwide). Reviews are the currency at Amazon which can make or break a book like this one.
Now imagine if this was written by an indie dev;
I'm proud to announce that you suckers can buy my book exclusively at 图书'R US. If you don't like it, GTFO, you entitled toxic manbaby. What we like about the platform the most if lack of user reviews, because SCREW those bastards writing hurtful things about our product.

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
» The Pyramids of Giza (A Wonders of the World Book) The Digital Antiquarian

Now imagine if this was written by an indie dev;
I'm proud to announce that you suckers can buy my book exclusively at 图书'R US. If you don't like it, GTFO, you entitled toxic manbaby. What we like about the platform the most if lack of user reviews, because SCREW those bastards writing hurtful things about our product.

You don't need customers with Epic fuck-you-money.

And no future

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
Feels like Borderlands 3 just came and went like a wet fart.

DIdn't even remember it released until now that I just came over a Halloween event trailer for Blands 3.

currently 2k viewers on twitch

Code:
Month            Avg. viewers    Gain    % Gain    Peak
October 2019       4,215       -18,851    -81.7%    26,650
September 2019       23,066      +22,738    +6,932%    220,708
Edit:

But REMEMBER people, Twitch viewerships only counts for the success of a title, never for a bomb of the title.

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto

currently 2k viewers on twitch

Code:
Month            Avg. viewers    Gain    % Gain    Peak
October 2019       4,215       -18,851    -81.7%    26,650
September 2019       23,066      +22,738    +6,932%    220,708
Edit:

But REMEMBER people, Twitch viewerships only counts for the success of a title, never for a bomb of the title.
Where as the additional feature of Steam never count for the success only the failure

Eferis

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
"Nobody gives a shit about my game, I've been very fortunate" is a peculiar take.

I'm no one to judge though so good on her if she's happy... I just find it a weird take for someone trying to get their indie game out there.

Where did the 85 million accounts news come from? And wouldn't those accounts include everyone that wanted their own account for Fortnite on mobile, Switch, PS4, Xbox One, and PC?

It's a bit annoying seeing people use that as a way to prove that the EGS has lots of users.
Breaking news: Fortnite has lots of users.

mandatory suprisedpikachu.jpg

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018

no platform split (because of course)

but there is some good news too:
Speaking of Fortnite, SuperData claims that September was its worst month to date. SuperData estimates that Fortnite revenue across all platforms declined 43% month-over-month in September. Thus, this marks the worst performing month of revenue since November 2017.

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
I enjoy stories of Fortnite revenue dropping. Hopefully it's a steady and rapid decline.
we can only hope

There is a much greater chance of it failing in 1 to 3 years than all the other GaaS games.
The rapid-fire updates are not sustainable, not creatively, not personal-wise, not customer-wise

creative: This is the biggest trap they can fall into. With so much evolution, changes, etc. they have to search deeper, try things, make more commercial interactions with other franchises that a patch can quickly become controversial, boring, unbalanced, etc. that a big chunk of players leave or "pause" their playing, trying to fix that could on the other hand drive away other players. We already had this scenario with the "everyone can win" update and the big robot.
personal-wise: Epic could find themselves in a scenario where they don't get enough coders to retain the pace and/or the coders who are staying will lose their efficiancy because of the assambly line kind of work
customer-wise: not everyone likes change and not everyone is quick or willing enough to learn the new meta. Just when you "got good" in the current patch, a new patch is released and you are slouching along in the middle field again.

Cordelia

MetaMember
Jun 10, 2019

no platform split (because of course)

but there is some good news too:
Huh then what's about the 5 million number that people threw around? Physical copies?

In addition, Borderlands 3 has sold-in more than 5 million units in its first five days, leading the Borderlands franchise to generate more than $1 billion in Net Bookings and becoming the second franchise in 2K history to achieve this milestone.

Borderlands 3 marks 2K’s highest percentage of digital sales for a cross-platform, cross-distribution title, with more than 70 percent of consumers purchasing the game digitally in its first five days of release.
From September. 70% out of 5 million is 3.5 million, so the number doesn't change at all since launch?

Reactions: lashman

madjoki

👀 I see you
Sep 19, 2018
Sold in = shipped. With physical shops clearing stock at 50% off surely they didn't actually sell.

3.3m digitally is lower than expected, skulls have done nearly that on pc alone.

sauce

Babushkats
Dec 3, 2018
I don't know about the Fortnite downturn lasting, considering the existence of that chapter 2 reboot thing. Still the chance that they could bleed numbers if people aren't satisfied with it.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
I wanted to check the Outer Worlds store page to see what it's like (in EGS) and it doesn't load. Other store pages load. Is it the same for others? Lol if so.

Trisolarian

Jul 12, 2019
Soma and Costume Quest as the free games. next week.

Layers of Fear and Cube 2 this week.

Welp, can't all be winners. (I <3 horror/Halloween so of course I already own these games lol)