News Epic Games Store

Digoman

Lurking in the Shadows
Dec 21, 2018
That's.... an aggressive sale. $10 off all purchases including pre-orders that also applies retroactively.

No doubt it will do good numbers, but I think we can take this more or less as proof that sales so far aren't that great.

If only this was their strategy from the beginning.... oh well.

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
LMAO
Like for reals, after party, observation are both over 50% off

And they are preorders.

Like hell, I ain't complaining about actually good discounts, but this is one huge desperation move given what they had said in the past
Epic 6 months ago: "We want to give developers more money and don't believe in sales."
Epic now: "LET'S DEVALUE GAMES BEFORE THEY'RE EVEN OUT WHOOOOOO"

I find this pretty hilarious. Like, the discounts are really good, don't get me wrong. But they're absolutely devaluing the games they are selling (so much for more money for devs) and are surely paying for this out of their own pocket again.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
Anyone buying anything in the sale? :LOL:

Seriously though, if only Epic had come out and competed on this basis, rather than buying up exclusives. They could've turned around and said their store gives devs a higher cut, but we're gonna compete with Steam on prices so long as you're happy with playing the games on a barebones client.

I think more people would've put up with finding workarounds to add their games to Steam where necessary (for controller/streaming support) rather than getting furious over higher-priced exclusives.

And I noticed Supergiant give Hades a tiny discount to avoid knocking the £10 off the top. Kinda scummy, but also shows they don't want their game devalued before it even arrives on Steam.

FunnyJay

Powered by the Cloud
Apr 6, 2019
Sweden
What's next, a Humble Epic Bundle Pay What You Want-style with only unreleased games? Give $1 Get the coming year's Epic exclusives!

Reactions: Ge0force

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
Does the 10$ discount apply for multiple purchases or only once? Would be interesting to know, but I'm not gonna try.
Second scenario would make it less aggressive as it seems, as the 10 bucks off are baked into the displayed price.
This also makes the discount seem crazier the cheaper a game is (above 15$).

Digoman

Lurking in the Shadows
Dec 21, 2018
The wording does seem to imply you can use the $10 several times... but I'm not buying anything so I can't confirm it.

The logistics of this sale are a little weird. Because The Walking dead is $1 cheaper in my region, after the discount it falls below the $10 so it doesn't get the $10 off.

As always, "throw money at the problem, but leave the planning for later" still applies.

But again... if this was their only way of being aggressive I would have not problem buying from them.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
The Epic mega sale started.
"WE'RE GIVING YOU €10 OFF EVERY GAME €14.99 AND UP"

So no free games :p

"How do I get $10 off games in the Epic Games store?
You don’t have to do anything. During the sale, all games priced $14.99 and above are an additional $10 off, courtesy of Epic. "

This is literally Epic bribing consumers now. Not denying this is a pro-consumer move, but once more Epic is using Fortnite money to buy people's loyalty.

Last edited:

MJunioR

MetaMember
Mar 13, 2019
Can't wait for the headlines after June.

Control is the most pre-ordered PC game in Remedy's history, thanks to EGS
World War Z broke the 500k units sold on PC, thanks to EGS
PC gaming sales are back from the dead after Steam seasonal sales killed them, thanks to EGS

Reactions: Ge0force and Arsene

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Funny how the indie devs that are on Epic are all widely successfull devs. Supergiant with Hades on Epic made Bastion, Transistor and Pyre. Yes, Pyre might not have been a big success, but one mistake isn't the worst and Pyre was a very big change in direction for Supergiant. I loved and finished Bastion and Transistor, but Pyre never clicked for me.

Coffe Stain with Satisfactory had huge success with Goat Simulator which was released on both PC and consoles.

Team Meats Super Meatboy Forever had giant success with Meatboy released on pretty much every platform in existence.

Whilst the indie devs that have reported not being very successfull on Steam, are not on EGS.

I truly sympathize with indie devs that doesn't get their success on Steam due to various of reasons, but saying Epic is indie devs savior when they have so far only accepted indie devs that have had major success on Steam is laughable.

Rosenkrantz

Once Punched Man
Apr 22, 2019
Gotta say, Outward deal is pretty tempting. RESIST DAMMIT!

EDIT: Phoenix Point for 249 rub! ARGHHHHH

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
The logistics of this sale are a little weird. Because The Walking dead is $1 cheaper in my region, after the discount it falls below the $10 so it doesn't get the $10 off.
Yeah, it feels pretty shoddy. Walking Dead has the -10€ for me.

Also I find it amusing that Hades and John Wick Hex have discounted their game juuuuust enough to get below the 14.99€ line.
Supergiant knows that, while Epic pays the 10€ out of their own pocket, if it's 5€ now they'll have trouble selling it on Steam later when it releases out of Early Access. Lol.

Or maybe it's just a result of the different regional prices, I dunno.

Last edited:

Rosenkrantz

Once Punched Man
Apr 22, 2019
The reactions on Era are making me sick. They are jumping on Epic's bribe as flies on a pile of shit. What a f*cking sad way to make people accepting store exclusivity deals on pc. Really, f*ck this! :mad:
Can you blame people? Most were against EGS because they offered shittier deal, the deal is still awful, but at least at price point there a lot of people will soften their defence.

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
Now that they've gone back on their word for megasales, I wonder what else is in flux.

Myradeer

Rayon de Soleil
Apr 17, 2019
This is what Epic should have done with their money, sans exclusivity and bullshit PR. Alas I hope the boat has sailed and people are smart enough to not give this sale any attention.

Reactions: Ge0force and Arsene

Stone Ocean

Proud Degenerate
Apr 17, 2019
This sale is great. All of those arguments about how the Epic store is inevitable, people will follow the games, vocal minority haters yadda yadda yadda only for Epic to pull such a transparent, desperate power play where they're actively losing money to coax people to try it out.

Do you bleed?

Reactions: unknownhero

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
So Epic is having a sale. Didn't they say that they don't want sales?
Several games have quite deep discount. Even games that are not released yet have quite deep discount

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
I only really know Rami through his appearances on Giant Bomb and a couple of articles/youtube videos etc. He was always interesting, passionate and put his ideas across well but you could also see something change in the last year or two. It's quite sad to see.

Also, how many of those people who are going to buy from EGS now there's a sale on are console players just saying stuff to get a rise out of people? I'd just shrug, ignore them and get on with your life.

Regardless of pricing i have no inclination to buy from EGS. The shadiness, hypocrisy, and back-tracking time and again means i just can't trust them. To me an Epic exclusive release is just Early-Access and i'll wait for the patched version to release on Steam next year. That's if i even remember the game by then.

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
Can you blame people? Most were against EGS because they offered shittier deal, the deal is still awful, but at least at price point there a lot of people will soften their defence.
Epic is making a loss on pretty much every purchase that includes the 10$ discount, that's not sustainable.
But people who buy into the eggs with this sale will get used to such huge sales. Why would they preorder/buy anything full-price if they have sales like this?
Like, I guess they're hoping they get those customers into their ecosystem and get them to buy stuff they don't make a loss on. But their ecosystem sucks.
I'm guessing this is a multi-year plan where they keep those aggressive sales and stuff until their platform is no longer dogshit.
That's a long period of loss-leading and it will be easy to devalue games on other platforms as well.
Fucking Forknife money.

Picked up Control, Borderlands 3 and Satisfactory so far. Will pick up some more.
Sometimes a dislike button would really be nice :(

Eferis

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
Several indie studios and developers claimed that the sales and bundles oriented market is damaging and might also kill the indie scene because most customers don't buy indie games at launch and a lot of people seemed to support those views at the time (I do as well, to some extent, like with just released games ending up in bundles). Now, some of those people, are also saying that those crazy discounts on unreleased indie games are good because... I don't know.

Reactions: beep boop

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Just posted this on Era:

To all these people mocking at me for showing my finger to Epic's gift: I hope you realize that this would never have happened if a significant amount of pc gamers didn't raise their voice and vote with their wallets against Epic's strategy. At least consider this when you're making fun with me for not bending over to Epic throwing their Fortnite money around.

Sometimes a dislike button would really be nice :(
I've just "ignored" several people who have been speaking out against Epic and/or exclusivity deals on PC for months, but decided to support Epic anyway because of this bribe. It seems their morals aren't even worth €10, which is really sad imo.

Last edited:

Digoman

Lurking in the Shadows
Dec 21, 2018
See... this is why I said I can't really blame the indie developers for taking the Epic deals. $10 is already enough to convince people to overlook a lot of issues.

As for "but I'm making they lose money" argument... well, technically so are the majority of developers/publishers that signed exclusivity deals.

Reactions: xinek and lashman

RionaaM

Vogon Poetry Appreciator
Sep 6, 2018
Anyone buying anything in the sale? :LOL:

Seriously though, if only Epic had come out and competed on this basis, rather than buying up exclusives. They could've turned around and said their store gives devs a higher cut, but we're gonna compete with Steam on prices so long as you're happy with playing the games on a barebones client.

I think more people would've put up with finding workarounds to add their games to Steam where necessary (for controller/streaming support) rather than getting furious over higher-priced exclusives.

And I noticed Supergiant give Hades a tiny discount to avoid knocking the £10 off the top. Kinda scummy, but also shows they don't want their game devalued before it even arrives on Steam.
No way in hell I'll be buying anything from EGS. Getting games for cheap won't change the fact that their client is worthless and their practices awful. I'd be stuck with a cheap game in a platform I don't want, having given money to a company I dislike so they can keep doing stuff that goes against my interests.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
This sale is so aggressive, the only thing will do for epic is teach their customers to wait for another one everytime to buy something.
No doubt Epic will stop doing this stuff as soon as their moneyhatted games are selling well on their store. While it's sad that many people will use EGS because of this, I'm still not sure this will increase their loyalty for future purchases.

low-G

old school cool
Nov 1, 2018
The discount prices are bad for the US store, $50 preorder? Cmon consoles were doing better than that not long ago,

I’d buy Control for $8 and Satisfactory for $3, but that’s not the price they’re going for...

TioChuck

More Yellow 🤷‍♂️
Dec 31, 2018
No doubt Epic will stop doing this stuff as soon as their moneyhatted games are selling well on their store. While it's sad that many people will use EGS because of this, I'm still not sure this will increase their loyalty for future purchases.

People didnt even grab the free games, I`m sure that this sale will attract a bunch of new people, but I dont think will do for the store what epic expect it to do.

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
I disagree that Epic sales must be abysmal, tho. This has to be another item on their list in order to market the store to people.

If one year from now there are lots of sales like this, then yeah.

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
The funniest thing I'm seeing is US users praising Borderlands 3's $50 price point. As if GMG/Fanatical wouldn't have offered even larger preorder discounts if it wasn't exclusive. Discounts that would have been available for much longer than what Epic is offering.

Rosenkrantz

Once Punched Man
Apr 22, 2019
Epic is making a loss on pretty much every purchase that includes the 10$ discount, that's not sustainable.
But people who buy into the eggs with this sale will get used to such huge sales. Why would they preorder/buy anything full-price if they have sales like this?
Like, I guess they're hoping they get those customers into their ecosystem and get them to buy stuff they don't make a loss on. But their ecosystem sucks.
I'm guessing this is a multi-year plan where they keep those aggressive sales and stuff until their platform is no longer dogshit.
That's a long period of loss-leading and it will be easy to devalue games on other platforms as well.
Fucking Forknife money.
That's true, I'm just saying that for most people the main problem was the fact that it didn't offer any advantage over Steam while asking for the same money, now they're making their move to grab the customer base (they'll most likely fail) and lowered the price to the point where Steam will only match it by the Winter sale at best.

That sale signifies one thing though, EGS isn't doing all that great if they backtracked on "no sales" policy.

Reactions: lashman

Guilty of Being

META MAN
Dec 5, 2018
Texas
The funniest thing I'm seeing is US users praising Borderlands 3's $50 price point. As if GMG/Fanatical wouldn't have offered even larger preorder discounts if it wasn't exclusive. Discounts that would have been available for much longer than what Epic is offering.
No lies detected here. It's ludicrous.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
It does feel like a cynical ploy to get their sales figures up. I suppose for their partners, who will be getting paid if this succeeds, it's good in the short term. But it also skews the figures, and I imagine there are a lot of curious people making games or working for publishers wondering if not being on Steam will impact raw sales figures. Such data will be used when making decisions going forward, especially as Epic begins winding down the moneyhats and developers have to decide if they release across multiple stores or go exclusive with EGS solely for the 88% cut.

Rosenkrantz

Once Punched Man
Apr 22, 2019
I find weird that they are doing such big discounts on preorders, because Galyonkin himself was the one who said in the past that indies should not do big discounts on preorders and value themselves more

You can read more here - The indie games are too damn cheap
Desperate times require desperate measures. I guess the actual amount of paying users is relatively small.

TioChuck

More Yellow 🤷‍♂️
Dec 31, 2018
So what Epic is essentially saying to me with this sale: Don't buy any game at full price, wait for Megasale.

Which is exactly what Im gonna do.
For the ones trying to control the prices, they just told everyone that buying a game full price, even if not released, is a bad idea.

Reactions: Ascheroth

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
So what Epic is essentially saying to me with this sale: Don't buy any game at full price, wait for Megasale.

Which is exactly what Im gonna do.
This will only hurt indies. Big games like Borderlands 3 will sell at launch anyway. But smaller titles like Afterparty are going to get the "ill wait for the megasale" mentality.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Having sales on yet to release games is for me as a consumer good, but the practice it self is not good.

Like, there's no reason what so ever for me to buy Afterparty now when I can just wait for the next Megasale.