News Epic Games Store

Rosenkrantz

Once Punched Man
Apr 22, 2019
This will only hurt indies. Big games like Borderlands 3 will sell at launch anyway. But smaller titles like Afterparty are going to get the "ill wait for the megasale" mentality.
Yep, but I kinda hope they'll learn their lesson. Indies were first in line to say how Epic is good for not devaluing games and now they're first in line to be royally screwed by their saviours.
I despise the epic store... but if i can find a way to grab Control and Bloodlines 2 for like $13 in the US I will. That’s stupid.
I honestly don't know what to do. I don't want to support EGS and I think it would be morally wrong to do so, but at the same time, I'm jobless wanker who tries to save scum every penny and some of this prices on games I want are really tempting in my situation. For now, I'm able to resist, tomorrow, however, is a mystery.

Last edited:

Doctor Ironic

Mar 18, 2019
Funny how the indie devs that are on Epic are all widely successfull devs. Supergiant with Hades on Epic made Bastion, Transistor and Pyre. Yes, Pyre might not have been a big success, but one mistake isn't the worst and Pyre was a very big change in direction for Supergiant. I loved and finished Bastion and Transistor, but Pyre never clicked for me.

Coffe Stain with Satisfactory had huge success with Goat Simulator which was released on both PC and consoles.

Team Meats Super Meatboy Forever had giant success with Meatboy released on pretty much every platform in existence.

Whilst the indie devs that have reported not being very successfull on Steam, are not on EGS.

I truly sympathize with indie devs that doesn't get their success on Steam due to various of reasons, but saying Epic is indie devs savior when they have so far only accepted indie devs that have had major success on Steam is laughable.
I think Epic proved with the Assault Android Cactus fiasco that they’re not actually interested in your game if they don’t think it can steal Steam users. For all they claim about the store benefitting the little guys, they’re really only interested in the biggest of the little guys.

TheGreenArrow

Ask me about my podcast damn it
Nov 20, 2018
www.thecellarletters.com
Yep, but I kinda hope they'll learn their lesson. Indies were first in line to say how Epic is good for not devaluing games and now they're first in line to be royally screwed by their saviours.

I honestly don't know what to do. I don't want to support EGS and I think it would be morally wrong to do so, but at the same time, I'm jobless wanker who tries to save scum every penny and some of this prices on games I want are really tempting in my situation. For now, I'm able to resist, tomorrow, however, is a mystery.
Are you from a region where prices are stupid cheap right now? Or would you have to be shady to get the price.

Don’t think of it as supporting epic. Think of it as supporting your wallet 🤪🤷🏻‍♂️

Rosenkrantz

Once Punched Man
Apr 22, 2019
Are you from a region where prices are stupid cheap right now? Or would you have to be shady to get the price.
Yeah, Outward is really, really, cheap here, and Phoenix Point is even cheaper, like more than a year old indie during Steam Sale cheap. I haven't seen prices like that since 2013-2014 when the ruble was still worth something.

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
No, not good enough for me.
22.99€ for Phoenix Point is a good deal and I was originally looking forward to the game, a lot. I love turned based strategy!
But the game is still third party exclusive and people buying now will just give Epic justification. They'll see themselves in the right and keep on buying out stuff. Those discounts are just a war cost to them, once they have more costumers they'll drive back like crazy.

But it will work. Enough people are already waving, enough will bite. Please just don't come running once they buy off another game from the free market.
For now, I'm able to resist, tomorrow, however, is a mystery.
Steep is free on uplay atm. Grab that instead, btw Uplay also has some nice discounts on games+season pass packs atm.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Soooooo... where are the Ubisoft games?

What if it's their plan all along to remove their games before this mega sale?
They are not removed, they just dissppeared from the front store page. They have been gone since like sunday.

They are available through Google search (yes, really).

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
They are not removed, they just dissppeared from the front store page. They have been gone since like sunday.

They are available through Google search (yes, really).
Yeah, I know that. There's something wrong with the uPlay integration, right?

But the timing is just too convenient for them.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Yeah, I know that. There's something wrong with the uPlay integration, right?

But the timing is just too convenient for them.
I mean, not everything needs to be a conspiracy.

And Epic is apparently eating the sales price, so all devs still earn what they would have at full price.

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
He's actively making Epic lose money. This is like... legal piracy and I support it.
Sure, the sale is pro-consumer and it makes them bleed money short-term.

But you can bet they're going to use those numbers to muddy the waters and release PR pieces that i.e. shout super successful launches and highest preorder numbers ever for those games that are on preorder now and spin there store as successful, which can potentially get more devs to sign exclusivity with them.

Call me petty, but while the sale is good for consumers now, partaking in it will potentially help Epic with more other anti-consumer bullshit in the future.

Rosenkrantz

Once Punched Man
Apr 22, 2019
And Epic is apaprently eating the sales price, so all devs still earn what they would have at full price.
I wonder for how long Epic will be keeping this charade of not being like Steam while evolving into Steam without any features? Fortnite be damned.

Reactions: Ge0force

zonk

Mar 29, 2019
There are some tempting deals, Hades and Oxygen Not Included for example, that are fairly cheap and tempting... But not tempting enough to manage more clients than steam :grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Arulan

Lizardman
Dec 7, 2018
Epic Games can fuck off.

It's disappointing to see so many people accept it. What they're doing with this sale is no different than every other move they've made. They think that throwing money around is enough to force their platform down everyone's throats.

Ganado

¡Detrás de tí, imbécil!
Nov 6, 2018
This will only hurt indies. Big games like Borderlands 3 will sell at launch anyway. But smaller titles like Afterparty are going to get the "ill wait for the megasale" mentality.
Thing is though, if they can score a deal with Epic regarding their next games etc, they wouldn't be in trouble (short term obv) with guaranteed revenue.

derExperte

MetaMember
Dec 9, 2018
The reactions on Era are making me sick. They are jumping on Epic's bribe as flies on a pile of shit. What a f*cking sad way to make people accepting store exclusivity deals on pc. Really, f*ck this! :mad:
I meaaaaaan ERA is a pile of shit itself and they post there, so yeah.

He's actively making Epic lose money. This is like... legal piracy and I support it.
They don't care about the money right now, they care about new customers, every single purchase and new account bolsters their numbers and tells the pubs/devs that exclusive deals are good. Going there thinking it'll hurt them is foolish and shortsighted, that's not how huge corporations think.

PossiblyPudding

sometimes a doctor of rhythm
Apr 17, 2019
How long is this sale supposed to last? If it goes until the end of the month then I'm left to wonder if this is also an attempt to try to garner some goodwill before E3.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
Thing is though, if they can score a deal with Epic regarding their next games etc, they wouldn't be in trouble (short term obv) with guaranteed revenue.
The moneyhats cannot last forever. Yes, Epic has a ginormous war chest with which they can go after exclusives in perpetuity for a very long time, but at some point they need to take stock of what they're spending their cash and staffing resources on, and decide whether this is the best use of it. After all, they want to secure their financial future after the Fortnite well finally dries (and one day it will - even Epic knows this), and EGS is clearly an attempt at that. And within the sphere of EGS, exclusives are merely one part of that too. If the exclusives don't work, and they need to do blowout sales like this just to pump their figures, then the moneyhats will eventually stop as Epic re-evaluates what they need to do.

To be honest, from the hypocrisy of this sale (Epic saying they wouldn't devalue indies, only to instantly devalue their games before they've even released) the only thing apparent to me is that Epic are just throwing shit at the wall and seeing what sticks. They will say anything to anyone, and change stance at the drop of a hat, so long as it leads to securing a financial future for the company.

Rosenkrantz

Once Punched Man
Apr 22, 2019
How long is this sale supposed to last? If it goes until the end of the month then I'm left to wonder if this is also an attempt to try to garner some goodwill before E3.
June 13th is the last day. Almost a month long sale.

Stone Ocean

Proud Degenerate
Apr 17, 2019
It's a month long. Till June 13 or something like that.

Rosenkrantz

Once Punched Man
Apr 22, 2019
They will say anything to anyone, and change stance at the drop of a hat, so long as it leads to securing a financial future for the company.
Does anyone believe in anything coming out of Tim's mouth? It was obvious he was after the pie from the start, if that piece requires changing the narrative in the middle and throwing people under the bus after he promised them comfort and safety, then so be it.

Digoman

Lurking in the Shadows
Dec 21, 2018
And of course the Quantic Dream games just become available for purchase today, hehe.

I'm not going to cave, but to be honest, Detroit for $10 (it's $20 over here) is tempting.

Digoman

Lurking in the Shadows
Dec 21, 2018
What about no crappy games policy?
That went out of the window some time ago :)

And that's why the deal is tempting. I have a morbid curiosity for their games (because I usually like narrative games) but paying full price isn't going to happen.

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
The cynic in me feels like this sale has been pushed out so that they can do some more PR spin with 'record numbers buying from EGS' to then get more publishers to go exclusive.
Nothing cynical here. I would have also discounted my third party exclusives with my fortnite money to build up impressive preorder numbers. Just to have a stronger argument when talking to other publishers. The only difference is: I would have done it on day one and not waited for months.