News Epic Games Store

RionaaM

Vogon Poetry Appreciator
Sep 6, 2018
There are 2 main characters in Syndicate, so Epic/Ubi erased the woman for some odd reason:

That's fine, it's a surprise. They make you believe you're playing an irredeemable asshole, while in reality you're only using him during his exclusive missions and playing the rest of the game as the best protagonist in the entire series.

And then there's the DLC where you don't control Jacob at all. If only the whole game was like that...

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
There are 2 main characters in Syndicate, so Epic/Ubi erased the woman for some odd reason:

[Picture]
Whatever that picture is: My AV is reporting that it belongs to some kind of phishing website.
Maybe a false positive, I really don't know. Just reporting because my AV is really not happy about me trying to open the picture or anything from the site.

Torn Banner is still heavily advertising Chivalry 2 on Steam. How low can you fall 🙄
Yeah, it is to keep the steam community "informed".

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Whatever that picture is: My AV is reporting that it belongs to some kind of phishing website.
Maybe a false positive, I really don't know. Just reporting because my AV is really not happy about me trying to open the picture or anything from the site.

Yeah, it is to keep the steam community "informed".
Weird, it's just a pic of the 2 main characters in Syndicate, found it just by googing "Syndicate Evie and Jacob".

Reactions: ISee

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
I don't follow PC Gamer much, but Tom Senior (editor) and Alex Wiltshire (contributor) are always excellent on the Crate & Crowbar podcast, the only PC focused podcast I keep up with on a regular basis.

Reactions: lashman and ISee

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
Of course the anger with the EGS is subsiding when the very thing people were angry about, that is, exclusive deals have begun to subside.
I don't even remember what the last big exclusive annoucnement was, Red Dead Redemption 2?
This is doubly so the case when the exclusives they took, such as Metro, Factorio, Operencia, RDR2 and Hades have begun appearing on other platforms now.

This isn't people accepting exclusivity, this is exclusivty starting to disappear again.

Also, fucking lol at "PlayStation exclusives being associated with the EpicGamesStore because of Shenmue"

Literally no one associates Shenmue with the playstation brand, what weed is he smoking?

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
Sweeney must be pissed. Not only do most people wait until his precious exclusives are out on Steam before they buy them, his latest moneyhats are of such a low profile that EGS has disappeared from the spotlight.

Cordelia

MetaMember
Jun 10, 2019
Literally no one associates Shenmue with the playstation brand, what weed is he smoking?
Well if you were following Shenmue 3 controversy discussion, you'll find a lot of them. The major reason was because Shenmue 3 was announced by Sony at E3 2015.

Reactions: lashman

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Sweeney must be pissed. Not only do most people wait until his precious exclusives are out on Steam before they buy them, his latest moneyhats are of such a low profile that EGS has disappeared from the spotlight.
Don't count them out yet. AAA exclusives like BL3 and Metro Exodus gave them the highest sales and revenue. My guess is that Epic will announce more AAA and less indies exclusives this year. A partnership with Sony seems very likely imo.

Not trying to ruin your good hope, but we are talking about a multi billion company here that has loads of money to burn. They have enough cash to buy popular studios if their money hatting fails.

Alexandros

Nov 4, 2018
Don't count them out yet. AAA exclusives like BL3 and Metro Exodus gave them the highest sales and revenue. My guess is that Epic will announce more AAA and less indies exclusives this year. A partnership with Sony seems very likely imo.
They're welcome to try. Many customers have already proven that they can't be swayed by moneyhats.

Last edited:

Alexandros

Nov 4, 2018
Exactly. With over 350 games on my backlog and another 300 games on my wishlist, it's very easy for me to keep ignoring money hatted games. 🙂
That's the spirit! On a personal note, it's great seeing you in a good mood, I was really sad last year when I realized that Epic's bullshit had affected your enjoyment of gaming.

Myradeer

Rayon de Soleil
Apr 17, 2019
Of course the anger with the EGS is subsiding when the very thing people were angry about, that is, exclusive deals have begun to subside.
I don't even remember what the last big exclusive annoucnement was, Red Dead Redemption 2?
This is doubly so the case when the exclusives they took, such as Metro, Factorio, Operencia, RDR2 and Hades have begun appearing on other platforms now.

This isn't people accepting exclusivity, this is exclusivty starting to disappear again.

Also, fucking lol at "PlayStation exclusives being associated with the EpicGamesStore because of Shenmue"

Yeah, it's strange because David Cage games (which I think is exclusive there?) would have been better example to give.

Reactions: Alexandros

Nabs

Hyper˗Toxic Pro˗Consumer
Oct 23, 2018

As a Dreamcast fan, this triggers me greatly.

Shahem

R7 7800X3D I RTX 4080
Jan 26, 2020
France

Not trying to ruin your good hope, but we are talking about a multi billion company here that has loads of money to burn. They have enough cash to buy popular studios if their money hatting fails.
I can see that as well. PC might not be a competitor to Playstation to some degree but Steam could be another matter. Horizon Zero Dawn exclusive to EGS ? Yeah that does not sound outrageous.

I dearly hope they won't go down that path. PS Launcher + Steam + EGS makes the most sense really.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
That's what I've been saying the past year and you gerbils kept ignoring it :V
You've been right all this time. But it was hard to see for me, because I was deeply disappointed to see several of my favorite devs going EGS exclusive. Many people actually defending Epic and/or supporting their store made it even worse. Stepping out of these useless discussions eventually solved this issue for me.

I know it's just games, and there are much more important things in my life. But gaming has been my passion for over 30 years, especially pc gaming with it's many perks because of it's open nature. Multi billion companies trying to change this open nature really piss me off for some reason; I felt the same when Microsoft tried to push the Windows Store and UWP as the new standard for pc gaming.

I hope Epic fails as hard with their current strategy as the Windows Store did. This could force Epic into actually trying to be better than Steam, resulting in real competition between storefronts on pc. Because what's happening now is no competition at all; just capitalism in it's worst form.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
I hope Epic fails in a lot more than their "current strategy". I only briefly played Fortnite a long time ago so I haven't really been kept up-to-date on its evil-ness, but this video (which I'm sure many of you have seen) is a good rundown of it.

And what's sad is what Epic is doing with the season shit and time limited purchaseable content is considered better than the constant lootbox shite that Sweeney stuck the heel into at DICE the other day. But it's still horrible.

Ultimately, the shittiness of Fortnite is enabling them to behave shittily in the PC gaming space too.

Acidote

Omega Yul
Jun 16, 2019
I meant that as both. I'm sure they'll try to work a few skins or a whole Fortnite Playstation themed event into their deal.

The only thing I hope that comes from that deal is that exclusives are timed so I can buy them afterwards when they're bargain bin price.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
What big event? GDC?

Sony games coming to EGS? Lots of unannounced titles coming to EGS? New features rolling in?

Alexandros

Nov 4, 2018
I'll say this again: It makes no sense to preemptively assume that a game will be moneyhatted by Epic. That sort of speculation only serves in upsetting the people who are looking forward to it, possibly for no reason. I would urge everyone to try and avoid it.

lazerfox

Alpine Flower Boy
Dec 31, 2018
Switzerland
Considering how sparse the implementations of new features has been in the past year I wouldn't be surprised if Epic were "saving" new features for a re-hauled EGS 2.0.

It would definitely make some nice headlines which they could really use right now especially after Hades and Metro were so successful on Steam.