News Epic Games Store

Shahem

R7 7800X3D I RTX 4080
Jan 26, 2020
France
Or Epic is actually paying for the ports this time. That's what I would do instead of money hatting Steam games.
I find this extremely unlikely. I think the decision comes from Sony 100%. The question is what's the end game.
With Microsoft it always was about extending the Xbox ecosystem. I can imagine Sony tentatively heading in that direction as well but that would mostly be restricted to older heavy weight titles like Horizon.
No competition with the PS5.

tmarg

Apr 20, 2019
Or Epic is actually paying for the ports this time. That's what I would do instead of money hatting Steam games.
There's no reason for sony to take a deal like that. If they want to port a game, they have plenty of money to do it, and whatever terms epic would expect in return would be far more valuable than what would amount to a small loan between two massive companies.

That's why I don't think a deal between epic and sony (at least for full exclusivity) is particularly likely. Sony doesn't need sales guarantees, they already know their biggest titles would sell millions on PC, and they don't need money upfront to finish development either. To buy sony games as true exclusives, epic would probably have to pay huge amounts of hard cash.

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
doubt it"s the "same" engine really.
Doubt as much as you want.
We have Sony, Kojima and Guerilla games confirming that is the decima engine.
It was also used for Killzone Shadow Fall and Until Dawn.
Engines surely change over time, but both Kojima and Guerilla were working to improve it for quite some time now.

Shahem

R7 7800X3D I RTX 4080
Jan 26, 2020
France
Doubt as much as you want.
We have Sony, Kojima and Guerilla games confirming that is the decima engine.
It was also used for Killzone Shadow Fall and Until Dawn.
Engines surely change over time, but both Kojima and Guerilla were working to improve it for quite some time now.
"Engines go through iterations"

I don't think Death Stranding on PC necessarily means Horizon would be easy to port like some have implied.

Even a barebone port can't be inexpensive. But I'd hope that Sony are a little bit more ambitious than that.
They are under no obligation to port this game over after all so they might as well go the extra mile, no ray tracing but a good number of visual improvements : LODs, shadows, SSAO, improvements to volumetric lights etc...

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
That's why I don't think a deal between epic and sony (at least for full exclusivity) is particularly likely. Sony doesn't need sales guarantees
And yet every SIE game on pc is EGS exclusive so far. :)

Look, I know it's useless to speculate about future EGS exclusives. But if Sony is actually bringing 1st party AAA games to pc, there's no way that Epic didn't offer them a multi-million deal for (timed) exclusivity. And Sony already proved that they are willing to accept it.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Almost every new release on Epic has these tweets:

I hear the same kind of comments from friends and colleagues. Many of them buy less singleplayer indie games or have stopped buying them completely because of Epic's free games.

I have been dogpiled on Twitter for claiming that Epic's free games are good for Epic and a small selection of lucky devs, but bad for every other indie dev out there. I'm still convinced I'm right.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
I thought people agreed it's best to get Spintires as it seemed like the publisher took advantage of the developer and essentially legally stole his game. Pro-dev Epic! At least, I don't see anything at all they did to separate themselves from his own work, it still looks like the exact same game all these years after the split. I don't even see why that's a new game altogether and not yet another DLC, if not a patch, for MudRunner. I guess just to become an EGS exclusive "new" game. It seems like Epic found a good not-exactly-gamer audience that doesn't care about platforms and "details" to go after with the simulator esque stuff.

Last edited:
Reactions: lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
SnowRunner is Epic exclusive? Fuck. :( Was this known? It's also 39,99 Euro. lol
it was known for a good while, yes

but hey - at least Spintires got that Chernobyl DLC like a month or two ago :) so there's that

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
I hear the same kind of comments from friends and colleagues. Many of them buy less singleplayer indie games or have stopped buying them completely because of Epic's free games.

I have been dogpiled on Twitter for claiming that Epic's free games are good for Epic and a small selection of lucky devs, but bad for every other indie dev out there. I'm still convinced I'm right.
But you are right :V

goat

Mass Erect
Jan 21, 2019
Could explain why they've been so quiet with moneyhats as of late. They spent all their money on Sony games this year.

Prepare for Horizon, Days Gone and Bloodborne to be 6-12 month exclusive on EGS.
Timed exclusives would be hilarious to me. I'm already used to waiting a year for Square-Enix games, and I haven't owned a Sony console in almost a decade, so a year is nothing.

Reactions: ISee and lashman

m_dorian

Ούτις
May 22, 2019
As if there was no other sigh why timed exclusivity is a practice operated by assholes since it literally exploits the FOMO of the weak customers and then they, the store, pat themselves in the back when the trick works.

But yet, at the same time there are cases of people that learned to be patient and got stronger, I am sure of it.

The whole EGS thing is a shit show any way you look at it.

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
Even the staunchest EGS defenders and tourist PC gamers (console warriors who think they get a PC gamer achievement if they claim (and probably never play) free games on EGS) only talk about the free games. 12/88 or helping devs is basically dead as a defensive argument.
I've seen that argument used just this week, so while it holds no water and is clearly bullshit, it still gets trotted out all the time

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
I wonder if Epic will release the full Android store at GDC?

If you think Epic trying to get Google to let Fortnite have microtransactions for free was Epic trying to get on the Google store, I have a bridge to sell you. Them asking for the impossible from Google was no different than when Sweeney said he'd stop doing exclusives if Valve went 88/12. It was a demand so ridiculous that they'd never have their bluff called, and was more intended as PR.

Watch as Epic rides in on a white horse for indies and F2P mobile developers, telling them Epic won't charge them for microtransactions and will start buying up Android exclusives to keep them off Google Play, and like a snake oil salesman promises to cure all the platform's ails as they promised on PC. Sweeney's war of words against Google is pretty much from the same playbook as what he was doing against Valve.

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
I wonder if Epic will release the full Android store at GDC?

Watch as Epic rides in on a white horse for indies and F2P mobile developers, telling them Epic won't charge them for microtransactions and will start buying up Android exclusives to keep them off Google Play, and like a snake oil salesman promises to cure all the platform's ails as they promised on PC. Sweeney's war of words against Google is pretty much from the same playbook as what he was doing against Valve.
And microsoft before that. They do seem to pick new enemies without ever slaying their previous one.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
To be fair, Microsoft were making some dodgy moves with the Windows Store in Windows 8. It wasn't just the closed nature of UWP, but the language they were using too. Anyone remember when non-UWP apps were described as "legacy"?

I think we all had a right to be concerned there. Even Valve were saying what Sweeney was. Their whole Linux thing at the time was described as being their hedge against MS trashing Windows.

Reactions: ISee and lashman

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
To be fair, Microsoft were making some dodgy moves with the Windows Store in Windows 8. It wasn't just the closed nature of UWP, but the language they were using too. Anyone remember when non-UWP apps were described as "legacy"?

I think we all had a right to be concerned there. Even Valve were saying what Sweeney was. Their whole Linux thing at the time was described as being their hedge against MS trashing Windows.
Absolutely, and I'm still concerned with the direction MS is taking Windows into. Time will tell but at least those concerns of them turning W10 into a walled garden are starting to be laid to rest. They were doing really dodgy things a few years ago.

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto

True enough, but my point being is that they only seem to stick to a perceived problem for a short time and rarely make any strides to oppose them. The terrible state of EGS is the most theyve done to counter their 'perceived' problem, and it's not done much good as of yet (though it is chasing a fallacy at best - and thus can't ever really deliver the change it wants). The other biggest is taking their mobile ball and going home instead of playing with google.

Reactions: ISee

Shahem

R7 7800X3D I RTX 4080
Jan 26, 2020
France
So no Epic exclusives announcements then. Granted Pax East barely begun but I'm hopeful there won't be of any significance.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
So no Epic exclusives announcements then.
Devolver just announced another one. And according to the rumors, Epic will announce a partnership with Sony tommorow, starting with HZD.

Epic said there will be "tons of exclusives" this year, so anything can happen. Best thing to do is to focus on games that aren't involved in exclusivity deals on pc, which are plenty.

AHA-Lambda

MetaMember
Oct 9, 2018
Devolver just announced another one. And according to the rumors, Epic will announce a partnership with Sony tommorow, starting with HZD.

Epic said there will be "tons of exclusives" this year, so anything can happen. Best thing to do is to focus on games that aren't involved in exclusivity deals on pc, which are plenty.
What rumours? What's happening tomorrow? 🤔

Reactions: ISee

Doctor Ironic

Mar 18, 2019
Very disappointing to see Devolver dip into the EGSclusive well again. I guess Observation won’t be a one-time deal. I don’t understand the business strategy of having some games be exclusive and some not, but well, what are you gonna do.

As for Borderlands, Gearbox has another thing coming if they think they can charge full price after a six month wait. Retail stores have the ultra super mega deluxe with all the DLC for like $45 right now.

Yoshi

o_O
Jan 5, 2019
Epic:
"SuperData does not and has not ever had access to Epic's Fortnite revenue data, and SuperData's reports do not accurately reflect Fortnite's performance," an Epic representative said.
"We are disappointed that SuperData has repeatedly published wildly inaccurate reports about Fortnite based on what we believe is questionable methodology.
"While we do not and have not publicly shared revenue numbers for Fortnite, we will say that SuperData's reports do not align with reality."

Also Epic: