News Epic Games Store

Shahem

R7 7800X3D I RTX 4080
Jan 26, 2020
France
I'll say this again: It makes no sense to preemptively assume that a game will be moneyhatted by Epic. That sort of speculation only serves in upsetting the people who are looking forward to it, possibly for no reason. I would urge everyone to try and avoid it.
That's not baseless speculation though. We have to prepare for this at least.
It would be dumb of course but companies do stupid things all the time.

The only title published by SIE on PC is EGS exclusive, is it not ?

Shahem

R7 7800X3D I RTX 4080
Jan 26, 2020
France
What's the "big" event Epic hinted at and what can we expect there ? A revamped launcher ? New exclusives ?

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
They've got a talk lined up at GDC. As for what they'll show, I'm gonna guess it'll be at least some early info on a generalized application process for the store.

Reactions: ISee

Shahem

R7 7800X3D I RTX 4080
Jan 26, 2020
France
They've got a talk lined up at GDC. As for what they'll show, I'm gonna guess it'll be at least some early info on a process to apply for the store.
Last year they announced a slew of exclusive titles even though that's not necessarily relevant to devs. I hope they have some big announcements in the pipeline.

I don't think much of the platform right now but I'm hopeful the EGS will get better and better.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Another SIE-published game on PC is exclusive to the EGS.....

Yeah, Horizon Zero Dawn surely will then.
Epic knows that people won't critisize them for this, because of the narrative that Epic is responsible for these games coming to pc. This wasn't true for Quantum Dreams and That Game Company games at all, but many people still believe this and even praise Epic for this.

Reactions: ISee and lashman

Nabs

Hyper˗Toxic Pro˗Consumer
Oct 23, 2018

I disagree. I mean, it's a possibility, but I don't think it's a guarantee. Sony has just been throwing their MP trash on there. HZD is a far bigger deal than this or ReadySet.

MJunioR

MetaMember
Mar 13, 2019

This was announced as an EGS exclusive last year, before Kotaku's piece saying that Sony was discussing about a simultaneous EGS and Steam release for Horizon.

Wouldn't say that Horizon is definitely an EGS exclusive based on this only.

Last edited:
Reactions: lashman and LEANIJA

Shahem

R7 7800X3D I RTX 4080
Jan 26, 2020
France
Epic knows that people won't critisize them for this, because of the narrative that Epic is responsible for these games coming to pc. This wasn't true for Quantum Dreams and That Game Company games at all, but many people still believe this and even praise Epic for this.
It's completely dumb but it's true, some people believe Epic is the one who brought fire to PC Gamers or something.

Regardless, I don't get Sony here. Those low key MP games won't sell on PC and don't serve to advance the Playstation ecosystem since there is no PSN requirements at all.
I don't get it.

A Sony game coming out on another platform should not be a problem for them if it stays within their ecosystem, through a Playstation launcher or some sort of PSN log in on Epic or Steam.

Strategy wise it is baffling.

What I'd do if I had any clout at Sony would be a fully fledged PS launcher + Steam (PSN login) + Epic Games Store (PSN login).
I think Sony would be very wise to transform the Playstation from a piece of hardware to an ecosystem. And then releasing high quality AAA games on PC would make a lot of sense, though not day and date with Playstation.

Microsoft took a lot of flack back in 2016 but they had a strategy in place, they should have embraced Steam from day one though with an Xbox Live login like they do now.

Knowing myself I'll buy Horizon Zero Dawn on the Epic Games Store if that's the only place it's on but I think Sony should not pursue a deal with Epic and instead launch an official Playstation Launcher.

This was announced as an EGS exclusive last year, before Kotaku's piece saying that they were in discussion about a simultaneous EGS and Steam release.
Wouldn't say that Horizon is definitely an EGS exclusive based on this only. {/QUOTE]
I'm pretty pessimistic to be honest. There is pattern here, and Epic can easily offer 20+millions for Horizon. They paid 11 millions for Control after all.

Last edited:

inky

🤔
Apr 17, 2019
If Sony ends up being eggsclusive, it might have more to do with Sony itself and Microsoft being on Steam. It could be more about perception than anything else.

We just have to understand that, as logical it sounds to us to make their games available to the widest audience, for these kinds of business deals the end user is kind of an afterthought, especially if timmy comes in promising the world and spreading cheeks wide for them. Gabe and Sony used to be friends and that didn't go anywhere, sadly. But hopefully those links can be renewed.

Shahem

R7 7800X3D I RTX 4080
Jan 26, 2020
France
If Sony ends up being eggsclusive, it might have more to do with Sony itself and Microsoft being on Steam. It could be more about perception than anything else.

We just have to understand that, as logical it sounds to us to make their games available to the widest audience, for these kinds of business deals the end user is kind of an afterthought, especially if timmy comes in promising the world and spreading cheeks wide for them. Gabe and Sony used to be friends and that didn't go anywhere, sadly. But hopefully those links can be renewed.
You know what ? That perception bit makes a lot of sense upon reflection. It's not difficult to imagine Epic making a similar case.

That would be huge for the EGS to have Sony's AAA games there. I hate to bring Lashman into this but he claimed there would be more games coming after Horizon.
and yeah, i can already tell you with 100% confidence - there are more games coming after HZD :) many ... many more :)
Imagine God of War or Uncharted on the Epic Games Store.....Yeah that would make some waves alright.

I have to wonder what makes Lashman so confident though, the bastard knows we are thirsty for info. :D

Reactions: lashman

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
The biggest reason Sony is going after PC gaming must be the Chinese market.

I just don't see how they can avoid Steam in this case. If anything I see them doing their own store + steam while not even bothering with EGS. Or maybe all 3 assuming they do their own store.

Shahem

R7 7800X3D I RTX 4080
Jan 26, 2020
France
The biggest reason Sony is going after PC gaming must be the Chinese market.

I just don't see how they can avoid Steam in this case. If anything I see them doing their own store + steam while not even bothering with EGS. Or maybe all 3 assuming they do their own store.
I think that would be ideal for us but obviously Epic would disagree. It all depends on how much they are willing to offer I suppose.

When could we expect Sony to officially announce Horizon ? Any ideas ?

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
I think that would be ideal for us but obviously Epic would disagree. It all depends on how much they are willing to offer I suppose.

When could we expect Sony to officially announce Horizon ? Any ideas ?
I think the most educational guess would be around the time they unveil the PS5. I can see them announcing it while boasting about some engineering feature on how easy it is to port PS4 games to PC and PS5 etc. Swaying PC indie devs towards PS5 instead of Xbox/Switch or something along those lines.

Otherwise they'll just stealth drop it. Maybe close with Death Stranding in the summer.

Shahem

R7 7800X3D I RTX 4080
Jan 26, 2020
France
I think the most educational guess would be around the time they unveil the PS5. I can see them announcing it while boasting about some engineering feature on how easy it is to port PS4 games to PC and PS5 etc. Swaying PC indie devs towards PS5 instead of Xbox/Switch or something along those lines.

Otherwise they'll just stealth drop it. Maybe close with Death Stranding in the summer.
Shadowdropping would be lame. Horizon deserves the chance to truly shine on PC.

I would not announce Horizon coming to PC during the PS5 event either, it should be focused entirely on the console. Some old(ish) Sony exclusives coming to PC has nothing to do with the PS5 and its games.

Honestly I'm not sure what Sony are waiting for, Maybe some announcement at GDC 2020 with Epic boasting about it like they did last year when they announced The Outer Worlds, Control and the Quantic Dream games coming to the store.
Could be a State of Play announcement as well.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
EGS has Blands 3 at 50% sale, which is quite cheap, I wonder if that means the Steam release date will be announced during Gearbox PAX show this thursday.

Epic seems to like to have a sale on a game when that game either is about to release on Steam or received a Steam release date. Happened with Metro, Genesis Alpha One and now maybe Blands 3.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
I need better friends. ;)

Ask your sources about God of War PC. Imagine this game at 144hz......
haven't heard anything about that one ...

but there's always a chance ... especially since we already know that at least Cory wants it on PC ;)

Shahem

R7 7800X3D I RTX 4080
Jan 26, 2020
France
haven't heard anything about that one ...

but there's always a chance ... especially since we already know that at least Cory wants it on PC ;)
That tweet is quite funny in retrospect. Ah, I guess we can't have it all !

I suppose there is not anything you can say about which games you've heard might be part of this move. Blink twice if it"s The Last of Us Remastered.
I mean, if Horizon is coming, other heavy hitters are not completely out of the question, right ?

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
I mean, if Horizon is coming, other heavy hitters are not completely out of the question, right ?
i imagine nothing theoretically is ... but i'm also pretty sure it'll mostly be older games ... for obvious reasons :p

Shahem

R7 7800X3D I RTX 4080
Jan 26, 2020
France
i imagine nothing theoretically is ... but i'm also pretty sure it'll mostly be older games ... for obvious reasons :p
God of War is not that much more recent than Horizon (2017 vs 2018).

In truth if more titles are at least being considered then there are not that many to chose from Sony's 1st party output.

Which ones do you think would make sense financially and strategically ?

Shahem

R7 7800X3D I RTX 4080
Jan 26, 2020
France
probably the ones that underperformed
Right, but those would underperform just the same on PC. It also does not fit with Horizon being there, it sold a ton.

Sony could have started with stuff like The Order 1886 for instance. Maybe some Japanese games like The Last Guardian but again those won't generate much hype or revenue on PC.....

I know I'd buy The Order but who else will ?

To me it would make more sense to port 2014-2018 AAA games to bolster a PS Launcher. Nothing that releases on PS5 for the reasons you are thinking of but older legacy PS4 stuff should be brought over.

Games that sold relatively poorly won't sell better on PC and they probably would not be prestigious enough to lift a launcher (if that's the plan anyway) off the ground.

Horizon would be fantastic already, now we wait for the official announcement.....Sigh.

Shahem

R7 7800X3D I RTX 4080
Jan 26, 2020
France
but a lot of people would buy them just because they're PS "exclusives" coming to PC ...

Gravity Rush maybe? ;)
This is a very niche title, but why not. Not sure what's the incentive is.

If Sony are ready to bring Horizon then they should focus on bringing AAA games if feasible. Whether you want a launcher to take off or to increase the awareness of your IPs niche games won't really cut it, unless they are visually impressive like The Order who would sell at least 6-8 copies on tech alone.

The Xbox Era podcast mentionned Gravity Rush along with The Last Guardian.....I'm not sure how you go from a AAA masterpiece like Horizon to....this but okay.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
This is a very niche title, but why not. Not sure what's the incentive is.

If Sony are ready to bring Horizon then they should focus on bringing AAA games if feasible. Whether you want a launcher to take off or to increase the awareness of your IPs niche games won't really cut it, unless they are visually impressive like The Order who would sell at least 6-8 copies on tech alone.

The Xbox Era podcast mentionned Gravity Rush along with The Last Guardian.....I'm not sure how you go from a AAA masterpiece like Horizon to....this but okay.
maybe they'll keep releasing those niche titles (like GR or TLG) until they're ready with their own launcher ... that's also a possibility

Shahem

R7 7800X3D I RTX 4080
Jan 26, 2020
France
maybe they'll keep releasing those niche titles (like GR or TLG) until they're ready with their own launcher ... that's also a possibility
I guess that could also work. I'm sure Epic would be desperate enough to throw some money their way even for rather obscure Sony titles. That said where does Horizon fit into this ?

You would not happen to know anything regarding a timeline for official announcements ? I thought Kotaku basically leaking Horizon would compell Sony to make it official but I guess not.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
You would not happen to know anything regarding a timeline for official announcements ? I thought Kotaku basically leaking Horizon would compell Sony to make it official but I guess not.
nah ... that barely ever works :p publishers just like to pretend nothing happened and stay on schedule ;)

as for the timeline - no idea, sorry :(

Reactions: Shahem

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
I just want MLB The Show (just without the trypophobia glitch) and Hot Shots Golf, fuck the AAA.

Shahem

R7 7800X3D I RTX 4080
Jan 26, 2020
France
I just want MLB The Show (just without the trypophobia glitch) and Hot Shots Golf, fuck the AAA.
I think Sony have an idea as to which titles could make the most waves on PC. No offense but niche titles don't get them very far.
If I was them I would solely focus on AAA technically proficient games that enough PC Gamers would be interested in. I imagine the more prestigious the game the more Epic will offer if that's truly what Sony are after.

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
We're already getting MLB The Show, just not this year.
But sports games that aren't Football Manager or Football on PC are severly underrepresent.

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
Starting with niche title isn’t a bad strategy I think. Just to test the waters, compare numbers. Plus niche games tend to have fervent fanbases who are probably more open to double dipping, and they’re not necessarily system-sellers either so there’s a larger untapped market for them on PC versus something big like Uncharted.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Starting with niche title isn’t a bad strategy I think. Just to test the waters, compare numbers. Plus niche games tend to have fervent fanbases who are probably more open to double dipping, and they’re not necessarily system-sellers either so there’s a larger untapped market for them on PC versus something big like Uncharted.
exactly ... plus i imagine they're infinitely cheaper to port too (especially if they're just testing the waters now)

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
exactly ... plus i imagine they're infinitely cheaper to port too (especially if they're just testing the waters now)
Plus HZD and Death Stranding are using the same engine and DS is coming to PC.
It is maybe cheaper to use the knowledge from porting DS to PC, maybe even reuse some tools or code, than to start from scratch with a bigger title.

Shahem

R7 7800X3D I RTX 4080
Jan 26, 2020
France
Plus HZD and Death Stranding are using the same engine and DS is coming to PC.
It is maybe cheaper to use the knowledge from porting DS to PC, maybe even reuse some tools or code, than to start from scratch with a bigger title.
I doubt it"s the "same" engine really. Engines go through iterations, I imagine porting Horizon to PC is not an easy task by any stretch.

And if technical feasability was paramount then Days Gone would be relatively straightforward since it's UE4.

I think there is something bigger at play here. Sony must have a launcher of sort in the pipes.