News Epic Games Store

ExistentialThought

Coffee Lover ♥☕
Feb 29, 2020
How he continues to use the use the word 'tax" without any major folks calling him out is bizarre. Having a multi-billionaire take to Twitter and invoking the word "taxes" in this context does not sit right with me in the slightest. It just feels he is being too deliberate in his word choice and makes me think he need to (A) find a different word (B) re-evaluate his view of taxes if this is how he views them in other contexts (C) have his own tax rate reviewed since he thinks 30% is too much to be taxed as a literal billionaire. :smart-thinking-blob:

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
How he continues to use the use the word 'tax" without any major folks calling him out is bizarre. Having a multi-billionaire take to Twitter and invoking the word "taxes" in this context does not sit right with me in the slightest. It just feels he is being too deliberate in his word choice and makes me think he need to (A) find a different word (B) re-evaluate his view of taxes if this is how he views them in other contexts (C) have his own tax rate reviewed since he thinks 30% is too much to be taxed as a literal billionaire. :smart-thinking-blob:
he's using it because for the majority of regular people: tax = bad

TioChuck

More Yellow 🤷‍♂️
Dec 31, 2018
Tim Sweeney is a smart guy, costs nothing for him to support Geforce Now , and maybe if the service grows Fortnite will have some kind of presence on the mobile space because Fortnite mobile is pretty much dead on Android, and more players will have access to give Epic money through their FOMO store.

bobnowhere

Careful Icarus
Sep 20, 2018
"...which is megalomaniacal and won't stand!"

Why am I hearing this in Stewie's voice from Family Guy?

Cheaper on steam for me as Epic doesn't have dollarydoos. Since a recession is on it's way, the Aussie dollar is crashing compared to the USD as people dump it for US bonds.

Last edited:

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
Filthy rich guy reinforcing the idea that taxation is bad. Really unhealthy right-wing concept to nurture. One of the many reasons I won’t give any money to Epic or even pump their numbers by logging in and redeeming free games. Sweeney & co. make it too easy!

This video with Anand Giridharadas talking about billionaires trying to buy our goodwill and downplay taxation seems relevant:

Last edited:

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Well I am glad Tim approves of GFN but still feels icky.

he's using it because for the majority of regular people: tax = bad
You mean all the right wing nuts? At least in Europe, I don't think I've heard that many people be against taxes. (sure everyone complains when it's taken but still gladly pay)

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
I sure am glad Sweeney is supporting the right thing. I'm sure he has no ulterior motives.

So he's riding this latest controversy to push various things:
  • He's inserting himself in it when he has nothing to do with it to begin with. Epic is an engine developer, the licensing decisions have fuck all to do with him
  • He's slipping in his narrative about cuts being "tax"
  • The whole thing has nothing to do with a store in the first place. This is about renting hardware for personal use that greedy pub/devs want to pass off as servers. How he believes that this relates to other companies's cut in distributing software boggles my mind.
I need coffee, this is too stupid.

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
Everyone remember EGS defenders stating their lower cut will lead to cheaper games? Yeeeah...

And calling a store cut a "tax" is, as many of you pointed out, just a deliberate misappropriation of the term to push his agenda.

Man I wish Epic could oust this buffoon and just get back to making the Unreal engines and some games that arent Fortnite.

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
Everyone remember EGS defenders stating their lower cut will lead to cheaper games? Yeeeah...

And calling a store cut a "tax" is, as many of you pointed out, just a deliberate misappropriation of the term to push his agenda.

Man I wish Epic could oust this buffoon and just get back to making the Unreal engines and some games that arent Fortnite.
I mean, he is the guy responsible for the engine, so maybe he just needs to go back to being behind the scenes and leave the PR to another brash employee. If John Carmack has taught us anything, it';s that these guys work best when they're talking tech and not the industry at large

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
He somehow made the controversy around GeForce Now about Fortnite and Google's cut on the Play Store.

Utterly ridiculous, and he's completely unaware that the GFN stuff is basically yet another case of publisher bullshit ruining the PC as a platform. Like Epic Games Store is.

Shahem

R7 7800X3D I RTX 4080
Jan 26, 2020
France
Should we expect anything in regards to Epic exclusives at GDC ? I know it's been "cancelled" but announcements can still take place hence the question.

Reactions: lashman and C-Dub

Shahem

R7 7800X3D I RTX 4080
Jan 26, 2020
France
99% sure we can, yes
Well I hope you are wrong. Or that those games are just a few indies, no offense intended but I have no interest in seeing the EGS rise. However much some may disagree AAA games take a platform off the ground.
Therefore, by my 100% scientific reasoning indies/AA games exclusives to EGS = EGS not gaining much ground.

Therefore, me happy.

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
Well I hope you are wrong. Or that those games are just a few indies, no offense intended but I have no interest in seeing the EGS rise. However much some may disagree AAA games take a platform off the ground.
Therefore, by my 100% scientific reasoning indies/AA games exclusives to EGS = EGS not gaining much ground.

Therefore, me happy.
Building their audience is with indie titles is their stated (though clearly untrue) goal, so hope for old ports or Epic games only at best

Reactions: ISee and lashman

Wildebeet

First Stage Hero
Dec 5, 2018
Last edited:
Reactions: lashman

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
I've never played Dota and I don't follow esports at all, but what does it take to get openly fired by gaben and called an ass? What was the controversy? Also nice to see that Gabe has the sense to not talk much on the internet unlike that one guy.

(Ok nevermind, found this: Gabe Newell calls fired host of Dota 2 Shanghai Major an "ass")
I believe the guy had an acute case of foot-in-mouth syndrome, but I can't help you more than that. It was just interesting to see Gabe break his silence to say something like this. If anything else, it was momentous.

tetel

MetaMember
Jan 7, 2020
It's not even that developer-oriented - from what I've seen on devtwitter, one of the most (or the most) important thing about wishlists on Steam is that they send emails, when the game releases, to everyone who wishlisted the game. It's half-assed for both devs and customers now.

Reactions: lashman

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
It's not even that developer-oriented - from what I've seen on devtwitter, one of the most (or the most) important thing about wishlists on Steam is that they send emails, when the game releases, to everyone who wishlisted the game. It's half-assed for both devs and customers now.
I thought it was also mostly because Steam takes wishlist into consideration when putting a game on the front page.

Sadrac

Dec 6, 2018
They are working on it, this competition thing is not easy.

tetel

MetaMember
Jan 7, 2020
I thought it was also mostly because Steam takes wishlist into consideration when putting a game on the front page.
This too but I guess it's irrelevant for devs on EGS now - upcoming releases are curated (so only poor AA/AAA publishers) and there's never enough recently released games there so you're guaranteed a place on the front page anyway (probably).

Reactions: madjoki

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
I know all of you guys are just poking fun at Epic, and rightfully so, but I truely hope they will just focus on making their godawful store/client something worthwhile using instead of the garbage it is. And instead of just moneyhatting any game they can, obviously.
Not that I would use it, mind you, they burned way too much goodwill. Something fundamentally at Epic would need to change for me to ever use their store. And thats just not likely.