News Epic Games Store

Eferis

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
I'm only sad for Industries of Titan from that list but we already knew that. It's an alpha version though so I'm no rush.

Copons

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
Brighton, UK
copons.wordpress.com
Super sad about Saturnalia! ☹

For those who might have never heard about it, it's from a tiny Italian indie dev called Santa Ragione, who, other than being super nice with my (now dead) satyrical gaming site back in its days, also created an exceptional game (Fotonica), and two good albeit very niche ones (MirrorMoonEP, and Wheels of Aurelia).

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
well thats quite a lowballed selection for whole qurter tbh , and mostly the usual cases anyway and not much new

Dread Nautical
- apple arcade game , by previously egged dev
so overall :ROFLMAO: at Timmy
Huh, thought it was Zen's next big. Not to trash Apple Arcade as there are some great games on it, but Apple Arcade still doesn't scream "big stuff" in any way.

SamSho is the one game I'm willing to play no matter the launcher. Shit. I'm happy for SNK though.
Hope you are ready to play solo with bots then. Online will be dead shortly after release.

Justice Raynes

Dec 13, 2018
We'll see. Fighting game players tend to be very dedicated and insular. Killer Instinct survived long enough despite being on a "dead" console.

Acidote

Omega Yul
Jun 16, 2019
We'll see. Fighting game players tend to be very dedicated and insular. Killer Instinct survived long enough despite being on a "dead" console.
No crossplay for this is DOA. It doesn't have rollback and it's coming almost a year later. There are only so many blows people can take.

We're in a fighting games renaissance era. There are many options out there.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
I think you should just wait and see if you find any reports regarding the EGS playerbase when it's been out for some weeks.

Reactions: Ge0force

Futaleufu

Laughing Chojin
Mar 14, 2019
Yep, this is a dumb decision by SNK, a very dumb decision. The only way to save this is updating the game with rollback and crossplay, otherwise its DOA.

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
Not a particularly interesting section of games other than maybe Samurai Shodown.

What has happened to EGS exclusives the past few months? It was something totally different last year.
I think that Epic evaluated their first-year exclusive sales and realized that they paid out the ass only for most people to wait and buy the games from Steam. Developers also realized that customers will not follow the games. So my guess is that Epic is offering less and publishers are asking for more, hence that entirely unimpressive list.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
I think that Epic evaluated their first-year exclusive sales and realized that they paid out the ass only for most people to wait and buy the games from Steam.
I don't think so. BL3, RDR2 and Metro Exodus sold enough on EGS to justify the costs for the money hat.

Imo, the lack of big exclusives is rather because Epic's partners haven't announced new AAA games in the past few months. I expect a few new announcements at E3 and Gamescom. Epic has plenty of money to spend on exclusivity, and Zen and BigBen still going EGS exclusive for upcoming games proves that the suits don't care about people playing their games at all.

This said, I still don't understand why Horizon is announced for Steam. Epic must have tried VERY hard to snatch that one.

Reactions: Alexandros

uraizen

Oct 7, 2018
Still have people on my Twitter thinking Samsho wouldn't have come to PC if it weren't for epic, lol.

Reactions: lashman

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Because these games turned millions of people into paying EGS customers.
How many millins are we talking about? According to Playtracker, the biggest game is Blands 3 with about 2 million owners. How many of them will return and keep buying games on the store and not using EGS only to launch Blands 3?

Reactions: C-Dub

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
I don't think so. BL3, RDR2 and Metro Exodus sold enough on EGS to justify the costs for the money hat.

Imo, the lack of big exclusives is rather because Epic's partners haven't announced new AAA games in the past few months. I expect a few new announcements at E3 and Gamescom. Epic has plenty of money to spend on exclusivity, and Zen and BigBen still going EGS exclusive for upcoming games proves that the suits don't care about people playing their games at all.

This said, I still don't understand why Horizon is announced for Steam. Epic must have tried VERY hard to snatch that one.
We'll find out eventually but I strongly doubt it. In any case customers have proven that they'll wait so Epic can keep burning away cash for all I care.

Reactions: C-Dub and Ascheroth

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
That's a pathetic list, I'm only sad for SamSho, it'll probably kill the game dead and I doubt they even paid much to get it to be glad for SNK, they aint so dumb. Saturnalia looks promising and maybe that Sludge Life if it has something to show besides the art style, see those in a year or so. Among the Trees is pretty too but how many survival games do we need, will it top the likes of The Long Dark and stuff? Unlikely. The rest didn't even really look interesting, EGS or no EGS.

Last edited:
Reactions: C-Dub

Wildebeet

First Stage Hero
Dec 5, 2018
Damn, Epic is looking out of gas here. The exclusives strategy is so not working anymore, if it even ever really was.

And yeah, Shodown is disappointing, mostly because they're going to sinkhole that series right when it had a chance again. Dumb.

Rando10123

Sep 15, 2019
I am really really sad for Samsho. If SNK wanted the PC audience, they should've went with Steam, especially since it has all the major fighting games and how most people supported Garou there. Smaller Japanese fighting game publishers really need to release it day 1 on both consoles and PC so that they don't complain when no one is buying their 6 month or 1 year late ports. This is gonna be a discord fighter right on release day it feels like, especially after how they "supposedly" backed down but now taken two shitty deals

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Because Sony is probably extremely interested in actual numbers to test the waters of the PC market.
Good point. But it's still weird that Sony's other games are EGS exclusive.

How many millins are we talking about? According to Playtracker, the biggest game is Blands 3 with about 2 million owners. How many of them will return and keep buying games on the store and not using EGS only to launch Blands 3?
I'm not sure how many millions. Epic has snatched around 100 games so far, and we only have estimated numbers for the biggest sellers. But Epic reported that the majority of sales on EGS are for exclusives, so looking long term, the money spent on exclusives was probably worth it. They would have stopped money hatting if it wasn't.

I still believe that these exclusives won't lead to consumers loyalty, at least not on a large scale. Millions of people used the crappy windows store because it was the only way to play Forza (Horizon) and Sea of Thieves. But barely anyone bought anything else.

Yet, RDR selling 400k on EGS surprised me. This may be because of better regional pricing for certain countries on EGS compared to RGL, and/or Fortnite gamers who only have EGS installed. Streamers linking to EGS may have helped as well.

We'll find out eventually but I strongly doubt it. In any case customers have proven that they'll wait so Epic can keep burning away cash for all I care.
Some consumers have proved they'll wait. Many consumers didn't wait. Especially mainstream gamers and fans of ip's/developers who are already popular. New ip's and games from unknown devs are very likely sent to die on EGS because there aren't discovery features. It's extremely funny how Sweeney is announcing algorithm-based discovery, despite critisizing Steam for this.

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
I dont really care about eggs these days. If it wasnt for a morbid fascination to participate in this thread i dont think id give it any time at all. I dont care about the games it gets, ive got tons to play already.

Downloading HL:A

Reactions: inky and Ge0force

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
which sony's games?

These are the ones published by Sony themselves. Sony also has a deal with Godfall but thats published by Gearbox.

Sadrac

Dec 6, 2018

These are the ones published by Sony themselves. Sony also has a deal with Godfall but thats published by Gearbox.
Thank you.
Maybe these games are based heavily on microtransactions. That could be a cause, but who knows?

Reactions: Arsene

uraizen

Oct 7, 2018
I am really really sad for Samsho. If SNK wanted the PC audience, they should've went with Steam, especially since it has all the major fighting games and how most people supported Garou there. Smaller Japanese fighting game publishers really need to release it day 1 on both consoles and PC so that they don't complain when no one is buying their 6 month or 1 year late ports. This is gonna be a discord fighter right on release day it feels like, especially after how they "supposedly" backed down but now taken two shitty deals
It'll be a discord game alright, but not one you go to find games at. SNK has an official discord and I can only imagine what it's like in there right now.

eonden

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
Good point. But it's still weird that Sony's other games are EGS exclusive.

I'm not sure how many millions. Epic has snatched around 100 games so far, and we only have estimated numbers for the biggest sellers. But Epic reported that the majority of sales on EGS are for exclusives, so looking long term, the money spent on exclusives was probably worth it. They would have stopped money hatting if it wasn't.

I still believe that these exclusives won't lead to consumers loyalty, at least not on a large scale. Millions of people used the crappy windows store because it was the only way to play Forza (Horizon) and Sea of Thieves. But barely anyone bought anything else.

Yet, RDR selling 400k on EGS surprised me. This may be because of better regional pricing for certain countries on EGS compared to RGL, and/or Fortnite gamers who only have EGS installed. Streamers linking to EGS may have helped as well.

Some consumers have proved they'll wait. Many consumers didn't wait. Especially mainstream gamers and fans of ip's/developers who are already popular. New ip's and games from unknown devs are very likely sent to die on EGS because there aren't discovery features. It's extremely funny how Sweeney is announcing algorithm-based discovery, despite critisizing Steam for this.
The majority of sales on EGS are on exclusives because there are only exclusives or games that were given for free. Heck, 50% of the entire sales were in BL3 and RDR2.

ExistentialThought

Coffee Lover ♥☕
Feb 29, 2020
I keep hoping the exclusives strategy will subside only to be extremely disappointed by more exclusive announcements. That said, the relative frustration has been less these past few months, even this most recent list is mostly titles we already knew were exclusive. Samurai Showdown does sting a bit since they made it seem like they already turned down an Epic deal, but considering the lack of crossplay, the bad netcode, and it being relatively feature thin, it is going to be a skip for me.

The Steam Remote Play Together event would have been a perfect time to announce and launch this title on Steam, to highlight that even if you cannot play online or if a friend does not own a copy, you can play local multiplayer, online via a free service. I genuinely think most fighting games should lean hard into services like Remote Play and launch everywhere day 1 with crossplay.

Reactions: lashman

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
And a sale is coming. Man, they must really not value games if they keep having these sales which they've said devalue games and set bad expectations for gamers who wait for low prices
It's incredible how Epic is devaluating games with their giveaways and fire sales. But I wouldn't be surprised if their revenue drops close to zero when they aren't running a sale or giving away coupons. Epic needs the narrative that lots of people are buying games from their store.

Reactions: C-Dub and lashman

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
It's incredible how Epic is devaluating games with their giveaways and fire sales. But I wouldn't be surprised if their revenue drops close to zero when they aren't running a sale or giving away coupons. Epic needs the narrative that lots of people are buying games from their store.
It's cheaper to get out front with a false narrative than actually make a worthwhile store that competes in the market place.

Myradeer

Rayon de Soleil
Apr 17, 2019
That isn't that great of a list.

Just a really weird thing to announce today when Half-Life Alyx is going to take up most of the news today.
It's actually perfect timing for a muted announcement, since the list does not have highlight title that'll appeal to mainstream gamers anyway. The target of this announcement (gamers who were following these games, such as SamSho fans) will be aware of exclusivity regardless of gaming news cycle.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
It's actually perfect timing for a muted announcement, since the list does not have highlight title that'll appeal to mainstream gamers anyway. The target of this announcement (gamers who were following these games, such as SamSho fans) will be aware of exclusivity regardless of gaming news cycle.
Yet SamSho fans hate the announcement.

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
And that's why it doesn't matter that RDR2, BL3, etc. brought millions of customers to the store. If those customers don't buy other games, you just threw away money. You need customers that buy non-exclusive, non-fire-sale games to make money.