News Epic Games Store

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
If Epic actually fixes it, then good on them. I have no interest in the EGS version of Hitman 3, but at least people who are buying it there won't get hosed.
On the other hand, if they can't fix it, these people may actually think twice before buying money hatted games on Epic's crappy store. 😉

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
PSA: Dont get KF2 on Epic if you play with friends!!!

We try using her copy as the "host" only to find out that all the community servers are not being listed on her copy of the game...

Then we go on google and start researching this only to find out that this is a limitation because TWI has failed to implement custom content servers on their Epic launch, despite saying since day 1 that it would be fixed.

She has now refunded the game... But OFCOURSE she cant refund the 5$ DLC pack that she wanted... even though she has less than 1hr in game and was unable to use it as intended

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
We go on about Epic doing the right thing by trying to give players access to the content that they've already bought on Steam, but we are overcomplicating a very simple solution here: don't do exclusive games. This wouldn't be a problem if Hitman 3 was on Steam. It's that simple.

Also, I don't think Epic should be throwing around cash to clean up the messes their business partners make - it only encourages certain bad actors (like IO and YsNet) to continue to treat their customers like shit, because Papa Epic will sort it all out.

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
We go on about Epic doing the right thing by trying to give players access to the content that they've already bought on Steam, but we are overcomplicating a very simple solution here: don't do exclusive games. This wouldn't be a problem if Hitman 3 was on Steam. It's that simple.

Also, I don't think Epic should be throwing around cash to clean up the messes their business partners make - it only encourages certain bad actors (like IO and YsNet) to continue to treat their customers like shit, because Papa Epic will sort it all out.
Totally agree on this. IO created this situation by themselves by agreeing on exclusivity deal with Epic

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
It's so damn sad to see how so many people are praising Epic for solving a problem that Epic actually CREATED by paying IOI to keep Hitman 3 away from Steam. I never thought that so many people's loyalty could litterally be "bought" with a bunch of free games and coupons, but here we are. 😔

Oh well, there's nothing I can do about this, other than continue to vote with my poor wallet against shitty companies like Epic, even if it's only a drop on a hot plate.

madjoki

👀 I see you
Sep 19, 2018
This seems like its just damage control to stop the refunds flooding in.
Isn't it always? It's very good way to get heard. (compared to not buying at all or posting to reddit/twitter/discord/forum of game)

Backman Arkham Nights is good example, released few days after Steam Refunds and had to be pulled due to being poor port.
I doubt reaction would've been so strong without refunds.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Haven't really been paying attention to this thing, what's this "install epic online services" deal it has under settings with the notification blue icon on that gear?

Googling just brings up presumably unrelated for users SDK stuff for devs and such.

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
Haven't really been paying attention to this thing, what's this "install epic online services" deal it has under settings with the notification blue icon on that gear?

Googling just brings up presumably unrelated for users SDK stuff for devs and such.
Epic Online Services, not to be confused with Epic Game Store, Epic's own online service where they provide ie stats, match making and such. Rocket League is one of the games that switched to it from Steam's services. Another one is Killing Floor 2

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
I guess I just don't get why it's a separate install? I don't install steam match making separate from Steam, the games just use it regardless >_>

If I install EGS Rocket League but not this EOS thing it won't work and nag me to install that? Or will it install it by itself?

FunnyJay

Powered by the Cloud
Apr 6, 2019
Sweden
Is that the install size with all the HITMAN 1 to 3 content? I guess they really found a way to compress it then.

AHA-Lambda

MetaMember
Oct 9, 2018
How sadly, fucking predictable.

The IO servers are getting hammered, so no progression carry over tonight.
I could just play through without it but if you do perform the carry over, then any progress made on Hitman 3 is cleared.

• Sad
Reactions: Joe Spangle

madjoki

👀 I see you
Sep 19, 2018
Hitman 3 in Humble Store. Price: 59,99 Euro. Price with my Humble Monthly discount: 59,99 Euro. Thanks Epic and IOI.
Yeah, there's not really much margin to give discounts from in 12%.
And if developer gives discount or more margin, they lose that amount from exclusivity payments. (last bullet)

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
The lack of social profile is hurting my Hitman 3 experience. So Hitman 3 has cheevos on Epic, but they are only visible by pressign Shift - F3 in-game. Meaning I cant' show the to my friend(s) unless I take a screenshot or they come over to my house and look at my computer.

Hunting down cheevos and competing against friends who can get certain cheevos faster was a big part of the Hitman games to me. And with the EGS exsclusivity I can't do that.

Goddammit.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
Genesis Alpha One is a bad game, so you could very easily skip the higher tier of that bundle without giving Epic any cash.

Or you could manipulate the developer split to send a clear message to Humble about EGS games in their bundles.

• This!
Reactions: Ge0force

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
Epic is also supposed to have a 2020 infograph out by the end of January.
Where is this coming from?

EDIT: asking because I'm not sure if you are saying this based on last year timing or because they confirmed they will share data.

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
I was wondering why we hadn't seen it by now but I figure it takes time to come up with how you're going to make yourself look like a success (as in a store people actually use instead of just accepting free shit) without posting data that can prove otherwise.

madjoki

👀 I see you
Sep 19, 2018
What is this? Is this part of a bot?
Yeah. So you can easily create many accounts either for selling or cheating purposes. Seems like it started for GTA V, got updates for later game like this now. (it creates one acount, you run it 5 times, switch ip, and repeat).

• Toucan
  • Eyes
Reactions: sk2k and lashman

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
I get the feeling that giving away free accounts to heavily MP-centric games isn't in the interest of these games' communities, but what do I know?

#FreeFortnite.

• Toucan
Reactions: lashman

madjoki

👀 I see you
Sep 19, 2018
I get the feeling that giving away free accounts to heavily MP-centric games isn't in the interest of these games' communities, but what do I know?

#FreeFortnite.
I wouldn't be so negative, especially with games that have small userbase left, but it is definitely double edged sword.

Reactions: Mor and Swenhir

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
I wouldn't be so negative, especially with games that have small userbase left, but it is definitely double edged sword.
You are right, and I am having a rather crappy time of it lately, hence the negativity. I think you gave both sides of the argument there.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
Some 2019 -> 2020 comparisons

52 million new customers
+$20 million overall revenue
+$14 million third party revenue
+549 million free games claimed

Honestly, those numbers are kinda disappointing considering spending drastically increased industry wide last year due to the pandemic. Also MAU actually decreased 5 million from June when they gave away GTA 5.

that's really low in terms of numbers for 2020, I mean, every single platform doubled their general numbers, not only in terms of users but also purchases... damn
I'd guess there was no major AAA exclusive like Borderlands which was likely a major chunk of overall revenue.

ExistentialThought

Coffee Lover ♥☕
Feb 29, 2020
700M spent on the store, but only 265M on third parties still highlights what folks called out last year. Heck, I think last year it was 165M or some spend? Only a 100M or growth, even while continuing coupons and exclusives. With 160M+ users, that is equivalent of each user spending around 1.66 USD. I have to wonder how much they have spent to obtain and retain each of those users.