News Epic Games Store

Digoman

Lurking in the Shadows
Dec 21, 2018
Well, at least he is just saying "we needed the money" without a lot of bs.

It was "nice" not to have too many bad surprises so far. I was really expecting at least one or two big announcements (and they even had an ad in there) but so far the only thing new was Oddword and Magic the Gathering? I know nothing is safe until it actually releases on other stores, but it was a little strange they had nothing huge to show. But I'm pessimist so I'm still waiting for the bad news to drop.

nah ... they spent everything on RDR2 ;)
Kind of hoping that is true ... they even cheapen out by going only 6 months with Borderlands 3, so a full year of RDR2 would probably give even Epic some pause :p

Chudah

Just a chick who games
May 24, 2019
Chicago
store.steampowered.com
I seriously wonder if Valve's new policy regarding approvals for release date changes hasn't put a major snag in Epic's ability to poach games that have been on their storefront for months now.

Ruvon

Chaotic writer
May 15, 2019
France
cabinetdechaologie.wordpress.com
Well the Oddworld community is not a fan of the decision on their Discord.
So far the Twitter replies are very respectful though. Even when people say "I won't buy on EGS" they say it without anger.

Where are all those Hostile Harassing Gamerz when a game announces egsclusivity I heard so much about ?

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
I seriously wonder if Valve's new policy regarding approvals for release date changes hasn't put a major snag in Epic's ability to poach games that have been on their storefront for months now.
why? i mean - how would that impede Tim?

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Yeah, "we'll only be on EGS for the next year" is gonna be a valid reason to let them change the date.

It's not like being unable to change the date on there means they'll be forced to release it there earlier. It might show released, but it won't be, like many others.

It's probably just to combat people constantly changing the date to keep showing up in relevant store pages and listings.

Reactions: lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
It's probably just to combat people constantly changing the date to keep showing up in relevant store pages and listings.
yeah, that's the only reason they did it ... plus devs have been begging them to do something about that for months

xinek

日本語が苦手
Apr 17, 2019
All the reactions and disappointment I've seen about Oddworld has been even keeled and pretty respectful so far. Hope it stays that way -- it's a lot harder for the simpering brownnosing industry press to whine and cry about "toxic gamers" going forward, the more examples like this there are.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
At least Humankind isn't an Eggsclusive. I was starting to worry that Sega had turned to the dark side.

This puts 2K and Firaxis on notice, though. Sega has proven it knows how to appeal to certain core PC audiences, ala Two Point Hospital, and 2K are also probably looking at how Paradox completely smashed Sim City with Cities: Skylines. I don't think it's far fetched to imagine that a botched release of any PC-centric franchise at this point can and will lead to a one way decline for even the most popular series. I don't think Civilization is immune from that, especially since new Civ games tend to come in a little hot and broken until two expansions in.

I'm hoping that, at the very least, if big name games go EGS exclusive it opens the doors for guys making newer and better games inspired by the big names can come along at eat their lunch. It could be a golden opportunity for companies like Paradox and Sega to really carve new niches for themselves.

Chudah

Just a chick who games
May 24, 2019
Chicago
store.steampowered.com
Yeah, "we'll only be on EGS for the next year" is gonna be a valid reason to let them change the date.

It's not like being unable to change the date on there means they'll be forced to release it there earlier. It might show released, but it won't be, like many others.

Not so much that it would prevent them from changing dates, but I am wondering if Valve isn't opening up some sort of communication with devs that are considering it. I just find it really curious that Epic had barely anything to announce today. Maybe they have something huge up their sleeve, but I dunno. I can't see Sweeny letting an event like this go without dropping some huge bombshell.

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
At least Humankind isn't an Eggsclusive. I was starting to worry that Sega had turned to the dark side.

This puts 2K and Firaxis on notice, though. Sega has proven it knows how to appeal to certain core PC audiences, ala Two Point Hospital, and 2K are also probably looking at how Paradox completely smashed Sim City with Cities: Skylines. I don't think it's far fetched to imagine that a botched release of any PC-centric franchise at this point can and will lead to a one way decline for even the most popular series. I don't think Civilization is immune from that, especially since new Civ games tend to come in a little hot and broken until two expansions in.

I'm hoping that, at the very least, if big name games go EGS exclusive it opens the doors for guys making newer and better games inspired by the big names can come along at eat their lunch. It could be a golden opportunity for companies like Paradox and Sega to really carve new niches for themselves.
I think Civ VI could have been the death sentence for the Civ series if it had been an EGS exclusive. It already had a rocky start with displeased fans and only survived with normal and hard-core fans because of the historical data of CIV games getting really good with expansions. Most civ fans would have waited years for a complete edition if it would have been EGS exclusive and just played Civ 5 WHO HAS MODS!

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Not so much that it would prevent them from changing dates, but I am wondering if Valve isn't opening up some sort of communication with devs that are considering it. I just find it really curious that Epic had barely anything to announce today. Maybe they have something huge up their sleeve, but I dunno. I can't see Sweeny letting an event like this go without dropping some huge bombshell.
well there will be more games announced in the next few days ... i'm sure at least portion of them will be egsclusive

apparently Biomutant is, for example ... same for STALKER 2 (rumoured)

I think Civ VI could have been the death sentence for the Civ series if it had been an EGS exclusive. It already had a rocky start with displeased fans and only survived with normal and hard-core fans because of the historical data of CIV games getting really good with expansions. Most civ fans would have waited years for a complete edition if it would have been EGS exclusive and just played Civ 5 WHO HAS MODS!
exactly ... workshop is pretty huge for CIV

Reactions: Ge0force

Futaleufu

Laughing Chojin
Mar 14, 2019
They have managed to stay afloat for 10 years, which is unusual for an indie dev studio, but they have not managed to grow. So, I don't know how good their finances are. Bastion was released 8 years ago, and Transistor 5 years ago. I believe Pyre was not a commercial success, which would mean that they might not be in such a good situation today 5 years after their last hit, and after developing Pyre. Back to square one, maybe?

Edit: SteamSpy:

Transistor is so boring that it ruined sales for future games.

The last 2 Oddworld games (Munch and Stranger) were very mediocre, so if the next one is Epic exclusive, whatever.

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
Basically this. Honestly, 2K have been so lucky that no one's dared step up to take on Civ until now, because they've burned so much goodwill over the years with botched launches and coming cap in hand two years later for a bunch of DLC and expansions that fix everything that's broken, but which cost more than the base game itself.

If Civ VII goes Eggsclusive, which I'm not sure it will, then it had better be the best fucking Civ ever made on day 1.

And even if they do release on Steam, at this point Firaxis can't rest on their laurels because they have direct competition, and Amplitude have proven they can make a good game. I know plenty of 4X fans salivating over the thought of these guys making a Civ competitor.

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
This reminds me of something but I can't recall...

:steam_cleanseal:
;)

Let's be real here though, we all know Amplitude are going to put their hearts and souls into making this the best fucking 4X game they can. Because that's just what those guys have form for doing.

If Epic were half as hungry to make a good product as these guys are, I might actually believe some of the shite about Epic giving Steam competition.

m_dorian

Ούτις
May 22, 2019
When devs make a business decision one does not like the most appropriate thing is to make a consumer decision those devs will not like too and walk the hell away from them.

Respect their decision, ignore them and move on. Epic can't buy them all.

Yelling, harrasing and threatening doesn't help and we know it.

Always remember: they need to get our money more than we need to get their product. This is true even with Sweeney's moneyhats because you should not be able to buy trust, you have to earn it.

But then again when idiots come to play, and we have so many in our ranks, they become the useful ones for mr. Tim and asshole squad. And you can't win the fight against idiots, ignore and walk away.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
I think they are small devs.

Supergiant's team has 16 members: Supergiant Games This photo pictures about half of the team:

Ooblets has 2 people, I think. Edit: Yeah.

Supergiant has a nice portfolio, so that might be the reason why you would not consider them "small".
As for Ooblets, the team has no other game. Even if they are published by Double Fine, they are very small.
I did not mean the size of their teams. I meant their renown and the fact that they already enjoy the attention of an incredibly large audience, especially in the case of Supergiant. In the world of indies, those are the upper 1%. They are not the struggling, below-100 Steam Reviews little guys. Whatever they do is met with hype and expectations. I won't go as far as say that they don't need the money, but they certainly don't have to consider their game's release as a shot in the dark.

My point is : these studios are privileged in the world of indies and the only reason Epic chose them was because of the hype and following surrounding them. They offered the deal to capture that audience and force it to use the EGS. Not to lift struggling indies out of poverty and instability.

Last edited:

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
Sorry for asking, but is Control coming to Game Pass or staying on EGS?
I was somehow under the impression it would, but can't find anything about it.

Iron Harvest is going to be on GOG and Steam. Which is surprising as this is a Deep Silver published game.

No, that's not it. We might also be on EGS (or any other store for that matter) at a later date. For now we just wanted to make clear that we've been listening to you guys and that we'll be on Steam and GOG :)

Maybe being exclusive doesn't work out well for DS? Or is late 2020 too far away for Epic?

Last edited:

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
It seems the devs have convinced Deep Silver to go for a multistore release.
That might be one the reasons but I believe it's far from being the biggest one. This is pure speculation but if Metro sold well and the egs partnership had worked I have very few doubts their future published games would follow suit, however if a strong household name like Metro can't transition into sales what hopes do niche titles have? This is a save-face publicity stunt that will work for the most part but doesn't discourage them from trying exclusivity deals again in the near future with any other strong IP.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
That might be one the reasons but I believe it's far from being the biggest one. This is pure speculation but if Metro sold well and the egs partnership had worked I have very few doubts their future published games would follow suit, however if a strong household name like Metro can't transition into sales what hopes do niche titles have? This is a save-face publicity stunt that will work for the most part but doesn't discourage them from trying exclusivity deals again in the near future with any other strong IP.
You may be right. We honestly don't know. Based on the fact that the absolute majority of revenue came from consoles, we can only assume that Metro Exodus didn't do very well on pc. But Satisfactory sold much better than expected, so yeah...

It's also not unlikely that the outrage against Epic's moneyhatting makes devs and publishers think twice before going EGS exclusive. The reputation damage may hurt future sales and Epic won't keep funding them.
look at it this way - "late 2020" still leaves PLENTY of time for Tim to slide into their DMs with 💰 💰 💰
True. But promising a multistore release now when they aren't sure to keep that promise, is asking for problems. Why would anyone do this?

I mean, we are at a point where speaking out against exclusivity deals became a smart marketing move. Or am I being too optimistic?

Last edited:

Pommes

Hey you! Have a nice day!
Jun 4, 2019
Concerning Amplitude I would assume that going exclusive to EGS is a harder decision, because the Endless games do have a long tail with regular DLC releases. I would assume that the same thing is planned for Humankind. And Epic probably does not pay for a possible loss in long tail income...

Pommes

Hey you! Have a nice day!
Jun 4, 2019
Any indications Amplitude would go EGS exclusive? I really don't hope so, I love endless space.

Edit: published by Sega, so unlikely.
Oh sorry, it was not my intention to scare people. I only reacted to the announcement of Humankind coming to Steam, as it was discussed earlier in the thread.

Reactions: Ge0force

Deleted member 113

Some of you go to bed having nightmares about EGS exclusives, and wake up having nightmares about EGS exclusives. :grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Guys, chill out.

I really don't understand why you "torture" yourselves thinking every new game will be EGS exclusive, even when there's no indication of that happening.
Especially because pretty much everyone has huge backlogs. I mean, some of you haven't played the previous game(s) of certain developers, and are worried about the new games of those same developers being EGS timed-exclusives.

I guess it's true people crave for what they "can't" have. ;)

MJunioR

MetaMember
Mar 13, 2019
Some of you go to bed having nightmares about EGS exclusives, and wake up having nightmares about EGS exclusives. :grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Guys, chill out.

I really don't understand why you "torture" yourselves thinking every new game will be EGS exclusive, even when there's no indication of that happening.
Especially because pretty much everyone has huge backlogs. I mean, some of you haven't played the previous game(s) of certain developers, and are worried about the new games of those same developers being EGS timed-exclusives.

I guess it's true people crave for what they "can't" have. ;)
I was going to say something along lines earlier today.

I'm assuming that every game other than Oddworld and MTG are coming to Steam on release. If some of them end turning EGS exclusives, is not like I wouldn't be able to find other games to spend my money on.

It's just not worth to think about it when most of the games shown yesterday are so far. Hell, how many hours will my backlog get from titles releasing next month alone?

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
Epic's Gamescom presence was surprisingly lean. I expected a lot of games to be announced as exclusives but there were almost no new announcements. I wonder why that is. Did they feel like they already have a strong slate for the upcoming months? Are they planning to court developers at the last minute to get as big a reaction as possible? Did the current crop of exclusives not perform as well as expected? It will be an interesting next few months.

Nyarlathotep

The Crawling Chaos
Apr 18, 2019
Epic's Gamescom presence was surprisingly lean. I expected a lot of games to be announced as exclusives but there were almost no new announcements. I wonder why that is. Did they feel like they already have a strong slate for the upcoming months? Are they planning to court developers at the last minute to get as big a reaction as possible? Did the current crop of exclusives not perform as well as expected? It will be an interesting next few months.
Generalising somewhat, but Germany is a major stronghold for Pc Gaming, and Gamescom isn't the type of venue where people are going to cheer not being able to walk into their local gamestop and buy a game any more.

Nyarlathotep

The Crawling Chaos
Apr 18, 2019
Gamestop came to Germany when PC retail was already dead except for Simulation games.
Last time i was in Cologne for Gamescom (admittedly a few years back) I found a gamestop and its shelves were covered in PC games in a way that - to give my own experience - the UK game shops are not, and this was long after "the death of PC gaming at retail" elsewhere