News Epic Games Store

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
This is interesting:

I wonder if Valve recently made the same decision to get EA back on board.

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
Earlier this year, Epic committed to loot box odds transparency across its entire portfolio, but has now confirmed to GamesIndustry.biz that it has no storewide policy on loot box odds disclosure or similar rules for microtransactions in third-party titles.
Sad! Shame on Epic! I wish we had transparency for Steam as well, regarding drops of trading cards and common/uncommon/rare rarity of items obtained by crafting badges. Nobody wants to be transparent regarding these gambling mechanics, it seems. Too much money is at stake.

Edit:: Maybe I misread. Maybe Epic will be transparent for its games, but won't enforce transparency for the games sold on their store.

madjoki

👀 I see you
Sep 19, 2018
so, MCC has over 100 thousand concurrent players on steam. I wonder how many does the epic version have?

Sad! Shame on Epic! I wish we had transparency for Steam as well, regarding drops of trading cards and common/uncommon/rare rarity of items obtained by crafting badges. Nobody wants to be transparent regarding these gambling mechanics, it seems. Too much money is at stake.

Edit:: Maybe I misread. Maybe Epic will be transparent for its games, but won't enforce transparency for the games sold on their store.
Well Epic has to be since Sony, Nintendo & Microsoft will require it .

Reactions: lashman

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
I clicked on that Twitter link above and saw this. :blobxorcism:

The initial article is quite the take on the situation.
"Epic did so good, so much damage, I can't prove any of this other than to say I played games on their store and RDR2 didn't launch as well on Steam as the last GTA, but I mean surely that's due to Epic right?. An EA and Microsoft clearly only jumped in with Valve because of Epic's revenue split giving them an upper hand."

Are we going to get more of this in 2020? People who cried from the rooftops about "competition in the PC digital distribution space" and "Valve is the baddie" try to justify their shitting takes from the year before?
Until we see concrete numbers from Epic's end, and I mean actual sales data not "it launched twice as good as our last title" nonsense, Epic might have spurned Valve to be more open with their user base, but it's impact has been minimal rather than a true market disruption.

And they still don't have a fucking cart? Really?

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
If you take a look at the other Tweets of the author of this article, it becomes clear that this guy is one of these "it's just another launcher" morons. He even claims the boycott against Steam doesn't exist and the majority of pc gamers bought RDR2 on EGS instead of Rockstar's own launcher.

It's just sad that his nonsense is being spread by other tech sites as well.

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
I wonder if we'll get news about the store open up to self-publishing at TGA or elsewhere before the end of the year. If I recall right, that was planned to happen. Really want to see what the process is, how well the store keeps up once things get rolling for real.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
I wonder if we'll get news about the store open up to self-publishing at TGA or elsewhere before the end of the year. If I recall right, that was planned to happen. Really want to see what the process is, how well the store keeps up once things get rolling for real.
i don't think that's gonna happen any time soon

pretty much the entire backend is STILL missing ... they still have to do pretty much everything manually (including uploading patches ... devs apparently can't do it themselves ... they have to send patches to epic, and then epic uploads the data themselves)

Reactions: Ruvon and Knurek

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
When did they say they'll open it to self publishing, that seems to go against everything I've heard them say regarding their quality curation and other such bs.
when they were doing interviews last year after it launched ... they said they'd open up to self-publishing next year (2020, that is)

i mean - they'll still be curating etc. ... but they'll just allow everyone to submit their stuff (as in: it won't have to be hand-picked by epic and moneyhatted) and then epic will decide whether to allow them in ... basically how every other store works (other than steam, that is)

Reactions: beep boop

Acidote

Omega Yul
Jun 16, 2019
If you take a look at the other Tweets of the author of this article, it becomes clear that this guy is one of these "it's just another launcher" morons. He even claims the boycott against Steam doesn't exist and the majority of pc gamers bought RDR2 on EGS instead of Rockstar's own launcher.

It's just sad that his nonsense is being spread by other tech sites as well.
I know this is purely anecdotical, but out of all the people that I know that bought RDR2, two of them just bought it on Steam and eeeveryone else bought it directly through Rockstar.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
I know this is purely anecdotical, but out of all the people that I know that bought RDR2, two of them just bought it on Steam and eeeveryone else bought it directly through Rockstar.
no surprises there

same with ubi games - the VAST majority of people bought them on udontplay ... not on egs

Cordelia

MetaMember
Jun 10, 2019
Here the article

tl;dr it's about microtransactions, not necessarily about Fortnite.

Also

Free-to-play games like "Fortnite" and "World of Warcraft" have a leg up on traditional video games, because they generate revenue long after a customer downloads the game: They make money off of microtransactions such as a new look for a weapon or digital outfits.
Since when WoW is f2p lol.

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
Oh, okay, not what I thought then.
Yeah, it's not a great phrase. I believe Galyonkin used it but it's not like a Steam Direct kind of thing. More like submitting a game through an established process to get it approved or denied for the store, as opposed to things beind hand-picked as they are now.

bobnowhere

Careful Icarus
Sep 20, 2018
I'm more interested in the external key market. Very few games on Epic sell keys outside, mostly only those with physical releases. So will Ashen or Hades sell steam or epic keys? The answer to that will be telling, very telling about Epic's strategy if they even have one outside of throwing cash at things.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Still no price for Ashen on Steam. If Annapurna charges the full €40 price for this 12 months old game, I'm gonna laugh out loud :LOL:
it's gonna be the same price as on egs ... they can't do it any other way

so unless they universally drop the base price today - the best you can count on is a release discount or something, so ... yeah ...

m_dorian

Ούτις
May 22, 2019

so unless they universally drop the base price today - the best you can count on is a release discount or something, so ... yeah ...
Yes but Tim said that the bigger share he offers to the developers will lead to better discounts on EGS. And Tim knows better, doesn't he?

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018

Well if the game is the same price as the EGS version, but also has the DLC (which costs 10€/$) included, the Steam version would be cheaper.

Eferis

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
As I said in the other thread, with how Supergiant devs are phrasing any announcement regarding the launch price on Steam, I'm somehow convinced they will increase the price on the EGS stating that the game is now bigger than it was when they increased the price the first time and launch with the new price on Steam.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
As I said in the other thread, with how Supergiant devs are phrasing any announcement regarding the launch price on Steam, I'm somehow convinced they will increase the price on the EGS stating that the game is now bigger than it was when they increased the price the first time and launch with the new price on Steam.
solid plan ... make people wait a year and then sell it for even more than back then saying "it has more content now" ... well unless you're somehow going to force those people who bought it 12 months ago to pay the remainder of the new price - you can fuck right off

Reactions: xinek

TioChuck

More Yellow 🤷‍♂️
Dec 31, 2018
So a few days back EGS announced that devs could use they own payment method for in game purchase, that seems cool, surely Epic was doing that to help other devs.

Epic doesn’t seek a special exception for ourselves; rather we expect to see a general change to smartphone industry practices in this regard.

We have asked that Google not enforce its publicly stated expectation that products distributed through Google Play use Google’s payment service for in-app purchase. We believe this form of tying of a mandatory payment service with a 30% fee is illegal in the case of a distribution platform with over 50% market share.

We note that Google Play’s Developer Distribution Agreement (Google Play) does not require developers use Google payments. It merely references a number of non-contractual documents asking developers to do so.

Further, Epic operates a major PC storefront and payment service and we do not force developers using our store to use our payment ecosystem.
So Epic wants to be on Play Store but not pay the 30%, maybe Google will help out poor Epic.

“Android enables multiple app stores and choices for developers to distribute apps. Google Play has a business model and billing policy that allow us to invest in our platform and tools to help developers build successful businesses while keeping users safe. We welcome any developer that recognizes the value of Google Play and expect them to participate under the same terms as other developers.”
Oh

Nabs

Hyper˗Toxic Pro˗Consumer
Oct 23, 2018
$40 for a year-old title (with some minor new content) decent? :thinking-face:
I don't think decent is that outrageous of a word shrug. I also have no idea what content is included. The game died for me a year ago.

Seeing how they handled that sale a while ago, I fully expect them to increase the price on release. I know how they'll do it. Launch the game at $30, but give you a discount to bring it down to the current price of $25.

Reactions: sk2k and lashman

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
So a few days back EGS announced that devs could use they own payment method for in game purchase, that seems cool, surely Epic was doing that to help other devs.

So Epic wants to be on Play Store but not pay the 30%, maybe Google will help out poor Epic.

Oh
In this case, I'd side with Epic. The mobile market is a joke and the tax on in-app purchases kind of boggles my mind. From a standpoint of doing what's right, while I can understand the cut based on distribution, visibility and features, the in-app purchase tax from the platform holder is just preposterously greedy in my opinion.

We'll just let the delusions of grandeur slide with the "major PC storefront" claim.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
In this case, I'd side with Epic. The mobile market is a joke and the tax on in-app purchases kind of boggles my mind. From a standpoint of doing what's right, while I can understand the cut on distribution and features, the in-app purchase tax from the platform holder is just preposterously greedy in my opinion.
Tax-free in-app purchases will probably lead to even more in-app purchases and less content on release. Especially in combination with subscription services.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
In this case, I'd side with Epic. The mobile market is a joke and the tax on in-app purchases kind of boggles my mind. From a standpoint of doing what's right, while I can understand the cut based on distribution, visibility and features, the in-app purchase tax from the platform holder is just preposterously greedy in my opinion.

We'll just let the delusions of grandeur slide with the "major PC storefront" claim.
So what then stops all games from being free with in-app DLC content unlocking meaning they can all use all the stores for (near) free should that be adopted?

There's pretty much no way to classify limits that separate Fortnite micro transactions from things like that unless they make it so only pure cosmetics get a pass (so anything with even miniscule statistics doesn't which would obviously cause an uproar from all the developers that do have statistics in their DLC and why shouldn't they also get a pass and so on) but then why should the service provider be less "greedy" than the developer/publisher that sells such things?

You might as well call the fee a "single player campaign tax" at that point, like such games aren't already hard enough to come by depending on the genre (plus, yes it's risky, but you'd have the odd developer trying to still take advantage by making their single player game f2p with advertising "support-the-developer" cosmetic DLC, or if small statistic improvements are allowed then an RPG could give you an accessory of +1 conversing which is the only way to increase that beyond 0 for actual dialogue skill checks required to move past the intro, with that statistic and equipment slot devised solely for that purpose, and so on).

Last edited:

Álvaro de Campos

O nada que é tudo.
Mar 12, 2019

I assume it's there to stop developers from just releasing a single level for free and charging for the rest of the game through an in-app purchase.

Can we not call it tax? That's bullshit to get cooky points with the conservative and maga crowd.
To be fair, taxation is theft.