News Epic Games Store

TioChuck

More Yellow 🤷‍♂️
Dec 31, 2018
I´m in the firm belief that EA had nothing to do with Fallen Order on EGS and was all about Sweeney begging Disney, they had a previous relationship with the Marvel stuff on Fortnite, so EA doesn´t care.

Reactions: Recrees

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
I´m in the firm belief that EA had nothing to do with Fallen Order on EGS and was all about Sweeney begging Disney, they had a previous relationship with the Marvel stuff on Fortnite, so EA doesn´t care.
I'm not so sure. It doesn't really seem like a big deal to go to EGS once you're also on Steam and it may have been a "why not?" kind of thing. We'll see if non-Star Wars EA games arrive on EGS.

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
I'm not so sure. It doesn't really seem like a big deal to go to EGS once you're also on Steam and it may have been a "why not?" kind of thing. We'll see if non-Star Wars EA games arrive on EGS.
It is a worthy experiment for EA all around.
"Do our customers just prefer Steam all around or was it something specifically with origin?"

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
It is a worthy experiment for EA all around.
"Do our customers just prefer Steam all around or was it something specifically with origin?"
Or they could just be gauging EGS on its own merits. Honestly, who knows?

Reactions: xinek

Bonfires Down

Nov 18, 2019
I’m pretty sure almost every third party would prefer that Epic be the dominant player rather than Valve because of the revenue share, so why wouldn’t they put Fallen Order on the EGS.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
I never argue with strangers on social networks, but ffs I'm resisting the urge to beg him to stop saying "tax" instead of "fee".
that's what he does .... he knows people generally perceive "tax" as a negative .... he does the same for steam

oh, and speaking of android apps and MAJOR security flaws:

but i guess Tim forgot about that one ...

Copons

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
Brighton, UK
copons.wordpress.com
that's what he does .... he knows people generally perceive "tax" as a negative .... he does the same for steam

oh, and speaking of android apps and MAJOR security flaws:

but i guess Tim forgot about that one ...
Yeah blaming the 30% commission for the security of the Play Store is like, wtf? How are they even related?

But anyway I really can't get over the fact that on Android he does have the option of avoiding the 30% (exactly like on PC, or any other open platforms), while he mostly silently suck it up on iOS and console.
Funnily enough, he always complain about the platforms where he has alternatives. Rarely about those where he risks burning bridges.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Don't forget that he wanted to get on the play store without paying the fee. Probably to use Fortnite as a trojan horse to get his "better" store to users there too.

Just because, indeed, these (PC/Android) are the platforms open enough to even allow him to have a store. But the other guys are good, closed like his stuff.

Reactions: lashman and Copons

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
Yeah blaming the 30% commission for the security of the Play Store is like, wtf? How are they even related?

But anyway I really can't get over the fact that on Android he does have the option of avoiding the 30% (exactly like on PC, or any other open platforms), while he mostly silently suck it up on iOS and console.
Funnily enough, he always complain about the platforms where he has alternatives. Rarely about those where he risks burning bridges.
Tim hates walled garden's unless it's Apple's.

Reactions: lashman

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
$680m on Fortnite, $251m when you take Fortnite out. So 108m users are spending $6.29 (inc Fortnite) and $2.32 (not inc. Fortnite). Though obviously the $2.32 figure is not an accurate average as we don't know what the number of EGS customers buying full games are.

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
251m across 90 exclusives including Borderlands 3, The Division 2, Outer Worlds, Metro Exodus and RDR2 is abysmal. Especially with those 2 megasales.

Satisfactory and World War Z sold 1.2m on EGS alone and if you include all the AAA games that doesnt leave a lot for the other 80 exclusives they buried on their store.

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
I think free games aren't a bad thing, though I won't be cheering for them. If I see something I want for free, I will take it - I won't just add every game to my library because it costs nothing.

Frankly, if you look at it rationally, the figures aren't great. $2.32 per user that isn't spent on Fortnite is abysmal. And you know the vast majority of that $251m revenue will be from the big hitters like Borderlands 3 and Red Dead Redemption 2, and not from the vast majority of the moneyhatted exclusives.

If they had something real to gloat about they would talk about profits, give us a better breakdown of users and so on. These figures seem suitably fudged.

TioChuck

More Yellow 🤷‍♂️
Dec 31, 2018
After reading the breakdown, EGS propably won't survive one more year, unless Sweeney is adamant in this persue of been the overlord of PC gaming, if you consider all the exclusives they grabbed last year, they definily spend over than U$250m on those, and much more on paying for the rights to giveawey Free Games, Fortnite is whats holding this ship togheter, when it sinks, it will drown everyone on board.

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Assuming at least 5,000,000 purchases were made using the $5 sale coupon during the winter seal, ssteamwouldve made in more revenue still woulsnt it?

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
They don't care about profit etc at the moment. It's all about getting mindshare, pulling people away from Steam and trying to retain users when they age out of Fortnite.

Reactions: xinek and lashman

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
After reading the breakdown, EGS propably won't survive one more year, unless Sweeney is adamant in this persue of been the overlord of PC gaming, if you consider all the exclusives they grabbed last year, they definily spend over than U$250m on those, and much more on paying for the rights to giveawey Free Games, Fortnite is whats holding this ship togheter, when it sinks, it will drown everyone on board.
I have a stupid strong belief that the BR craze will die this year and be replaced by something else. Unless epic copies it, which is highly probable looking at what they did with fortnite, egs will sink.

Eferis

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
251m with 90 exclusives including Borderlands 3, The Division 2, Metro, goose game and Control, it's honestly pretty bad.

Too bad the press (including general press like the WaPo) is parroting the 680m number.

TioChuck

More Yellow 🤷‍♂️
Dec 31, 2018
I have a stupid strong belief that the BR craze will die this year and be replaced by something else. Unless epic copies it, which is highly probable looking at what they did with fortnite, egs will sink.
the hot thing now is Escape from Tarkov, will be funny to see how Epic translates Tarkov into Fortnite.

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
Tizoc No idea. I'd say they are giving free games so people have a library to keep them within the Epic ecosystem until Epic can copy someone else's "Next Big Idea" and hope it catches on like Fortnite did.
having a library only matters if you have a reason to constantly visit the store. I have probably a dozen libraries across GoG, publisher stores, PSN, and even the old and dead Impulse store.. I only use them if I want to play a game (and remember that I have it on it) on there.

Yaska

"It depends" - Every lawyer ever,
Dec 18, 2018
Just a reminder to anyone doing the math, for games that give 5% to streamers, it will be deducted from Epic's cut for the first year. So Epic's cut varies from 7 to 12% instead of lump 12%.

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
So equivalent to about 4,2 million $60 games. Not exactly great but I don't know what their expectations were.
The expectations (that were previously not known to the public) are ALWAYS better than the company thought, because it means they are successful!

eonden

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
Just a reminder to anyone doing the math, for games that give 5% to streamers, it will be deducted from Epic's cut for the first year. So Epic's cut varies from 7 to 12% instead of lump 12%.
They also made special deals with Borderlands and other games where they gave up to 20% cut to streamers...