News Epic Games Store

tmarg

Apr 20, 2019
I'm waiting for Nathan Grayson's take.
Lefty game journos will gladly throw him under the bus the moment he stops cutting their friends checks. Which I suspect might already be happening.

If anything, this gives them an easy out.

Rosenkrantz

Once Punched Man
Apr 22, 2019
Well, Metro Exodus is back with a shitty price tag and non acknowledgement from Steam whatsoever (yet). I like it to stay this way, DS deserves failure, they already have money anyway.

Edit: made it to number 2 global top sellers, oh well.

Edit 2: Valve just put it into popular new releases. The fuck are you doing Gabe, this shit literally was selling on your store a year ago, don't take away from actual new releases.

Last edited:
Reactions: m_dorian and ISee

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
I'm amused that the Steam page for Metro Exodus is higher up in the results than the Epic one when you google "Metro Exodus". I wonder if it was that way all along -- even before it was available again.

Reactions: Rosenkrantz

Rosenkrantz

Once Punched Man
Apr 22, 2019
I'm amused that the Steam page for Metro Exodus is higher up in the results than the Epic one when you google "Metro Exodus". I wonder if it was that way all along -- even before it was available again.
In my experience it's always like that with games that have pages on both Steam and EGS. There might be a few exceptions, but haven't seen them yet.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
I wonder when Blands 3 Steam page will be up, should release in april unless 2K has changed something.

Reactions: Arsene

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
Metro moving up the top sellers list on Steam.

I'd imagine it might give eggs cause to evaluate spending all this money on eggclusives? if most people are just willing to wait and get it on Steam. Im hoping it will mean Timmy abandons his strategy.

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
Metro Exodus is coming to Linux, now that it is free from Epic.

A post on the Metro Exodus Steam forum titled "Linux Version?" that's been open since 2018 got a reply today, from the publisher Deep Silver
I welcome their openness to embrace Linux, but it is a bit shallow after going for store exclusivity and even threatening fans that they would not make PC games if people would really boycott their EGS move.

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
Metro moving up the top sellers list on Steam.

I'd imagine it might give eggs cause to evaluate spending all this money on eggclusives? if most people are just willing to wait and get it on Steam. Im hoping it will mean Timmy abandons his strategy.
I'd expect him to dig in his heels and try harder not tail between his legs give up

Reactions: Joe Spangle

m_dorian

Ούτις
May 22, 2019
And they also buy a game which they could be playing for $1 on PC Game Pass.
The thing is that the MS store comes with its own problems and performance issues about this game were frequently reported.

Main reason I haven't yet touched anything there as much as I think MS offering would have saved me money if it worked like any other store does.

Cordelia

MetaMember
Jun 10, 2019
Game Pass is not available at most of the world.

Xbox Game Pass is available in Argentina, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Chile, Colombia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, India, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Mexico, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Slovakia, South Africa, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Turkey, the United Arab Emirates, the United Kingdom, and the United States.

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
Im not interested in game pass even though its so cheap. Reading the problems people have with downloads and other issues i just feel like ill stick with Steam. I like owning (well, licencing) my games and I don't really play things on release (apart from the odd few).

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
I'm only interested in GamePass as a way to circumvent EGS-exclusivity for games like the Outer Worlds. I used Origin's pass too for Jedi Fallen Order because I knew I would only play it once. Those passes are things I will sub for one month for, and then cancel though.

lazerfox

Alpine Flower Boy
Dec 31, 2018
Switzerland
Exodus is also a title that you really want to revisit once you've upgraded your graphics card. So it makes more sense to buy rather than just subbing to gamepass.

I just bought it yesterday and the RTX lighting really does wonders for the atmosphere, it looks amazing. Not gonna lie waiting a year wasn't as hard as I thought and now I can benefit from all the bug fixes and performance discussions that took place.

Besides Metro I'm only looking forward to Tetris Effect and Control which probably both will be day 1 purchases.

Reactions: lashman

PC-Patriot

Press Any key, where the hell is it ?
Aug 5, 2019
That doesn't really surprise me to be honest. If there is one company I trust less than Epic it is Microsoft. If I could dump windows I would in a heart beat but since I can't I limit my exposure to microsoft as much possible. They could make their Gamepass free and I still wouldn't touch it with a fucking barge pole.

It is kinda disappointing that Metro Exodus is doing so well on Steam. All the consumer is doing is showing these companies that they can "have their cake and eat it too".

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
It is kinda disappointing that Metro Exodus is doing so well on Steam. All the consumer is doing is showing these companies that they can "have their cake and eat it too".
Yeah. It is a bit disappointing but I see it as the best of a bad situation, if a lot of people were willing to wait a year for a Steam release it hopefully shows that the eggclusive strategy hasn't made as much of an impact as Timmy might have liked and PC gamers aren't just going to settle for an inferior client without some sort of benefit. Even with the sales eggs has been doing it looks like enough people held off. Plus those like myself who will now only get it when its dirt cheap.

Of course the big publishers wont care about any of that and you are right in that they will be getting the eggs payoff and then a year later a boost in sales so i expect more of the big players to take eggs money if it is offered. Its the smaller Devs that will be interesting. Metro is a big enough game to get people to buy a year later. Will smaller titles have an impact after a year?

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
yup, same for me ... especially since it literally takes me MONTHS to finish games ... sometimes even years (still haven't finished TW3 ... and i've had it installed since release :p)
I also never finished TW3. I need a big enough block of uninterrupted time to tackle that massive game.
I can play Minecraft, Rimworld, Factorio, Paradox Grand strategy, Battletech Aurora 4x, etc. just fine one to three hours a day, but Story games like Witcher, I want to do it continuously.

Nabs

Hyper˗Toxic Pro˗Consumer
Oct 23, 2018
Was I supposed to know that Epic had a sale going on for the last few days? The holiday coupon can still be used as well.

The Witness is 63% off ($14.79). is that so you can't use the coupon (14.99 min)? That's weird.

They also added Ass Creed Syndicate as a freebie for the 20th.

Last edited:

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Are there still countries where EGS doesn't even exist and can not be accessed? I think one of the Steam's key benefits is to be available almost everywhere in a world.
Can i be in the world where steam had tegional pricing fornmy country? :p
Was I supposed to know that Epic had a sale going on for the last few days? The holiday coupon can still be used as well.

The Witness is 63% off ($14.79). is that so you can't use the coupon (14.99 min)? That's weird.

They also added Ass Creed Syndicate as a freebie for the 20th.
I actually got an email about their current sale.

uraizen

Oct 7, 2018
I don't like the feeling of having a timelimit to play a game. So gamepass will never be considered by me.
After using it for a few months, that's how I feel about it now. Whenever I want something I end up buying it anyway. Doesn't matter if I played it on gamerpass already or not. I feel like it defeats the purpose of the gamerpass idea.

Rosenkrantz

Once Punched Man
Apr 22, 2019
Can i be in the world where steam had tegional pricing fornmy country?
Considering how pubs and devs think that regional pricing is mugging in a broad daylight I wouldn't be surprised if at some point they will try to kill it everywhere.

Regardless, I hope Valve is going to implement a regional pricing in your country, people shouldn't pay half of their monthly income for one game.

Reactions: lashman and ISee

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
I have settled on a different opinion. The industry was quite eager to prove that "gamers will follow the games". They want to delegitimize every sort of gamer backlash, either through connecting it to hate movements or by dismissing it as the ramblings of an irrelevant minority. Had EGS exclusives flopped on Steam, we would be reading think pieces by esteemed journalists that people who were interested in those games bought them already on EGS, therefore "it's just a launcher and people followed the games".

Now that these games are selling well on Steam, despite the fact that they were available on the same hardware platform much earlier and most of them have had substantial discounts before hitting Steam, it proves to everyone that a significant part of the customer base will not blindly purchase games wherever. It proves that the "just another launcher" argument is nonsense and that customers on PC will vote with their wallets.

So yeah, it does kinda suck that some of the people who got Epic's moneyhat seem to have ended up profiting from it but a) looking at the big picture, this was the best possible outcome and b) whether someone actually profited from a moneyhat is questionable. Yes, Metro Exodus seems to have sold well on Steam at a reduced price. How much full price sales were left on the table because of the game's exclusivity period? Did the moneyhat cover that amount? Did the game sell more than the pre-bought copies on EGS or have they not received anything besides the moneyhat? Personally I would bet that there are a whole lot of developers stuck not making any money for a whole year because they can't sell enough copies to cover the pre-bought amount. That can't be a pleasant experience.

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
Yeah Im of the same mind. The big guys like the Metro publisher wont be able to definitively say whether they are better or worse off because they sell a lot of copies and will make tonnes of money anyway because Metro is popular and in the mainstream. The smaller devs may have a harder time. I'm convinced that there are plenty of people like me who will now pass on most if not all eggs games for a few years until they are very cheap.

My lost sale means less to Deep Silver than it does to Small Indie Dev 12645 so its those ones that may feel the pinch.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
I have settled on a different opinion. The industry was quite eager to prove that "gamers will follow the games". They want to delegitimize every sort of gamer backlash, either through connecting it to hate movements or by dismissing it as the ramblings of an irrelevant minority. Had EGS exclusives flopped on Steam, we would be reading think pieces by esteemed journalists that people who were interested in those games bought them already on EGS, therefore "it's just a launcher and people followed the games".

Now that these games are selling well on Steam, despite the fact that they were available on the same hardware platform much earlier and most of them have had substantial discounts before hitting Steam, it proves to everyone that a significant part of the customer base will not blindly purchase games wherever. It proves that the "just another launcher" argument is nonsense and that customers on PC will vote with their wallets.

So yeah, it does kinda suck that some of the people who got Epic's moneyhat seem to have ended up profiting from it but a) looking at the big picture, this was the best possible outcome and b) whether someone actually profited from a moneyhat is questionable. Yes, Metro Exodus seems to have sold well on Steam at a reduced price. How much full price sales were left on the table because of the game's exclusivity period? Did the moneyhat cover that amount? Did the game sell more than the pre-bought copies on EGS or have they not received anything besides the moneyhat? Personally I would bet that there are a whole lot of developers stuck not making any money for a whole year because they can't sell enough copies to cover the pre-bought amount. That can't be a pleasant experience.
Basically this. In the end, people will take money when it's dangled in front of them. Whether it's Valve, Epic, Nintendo, Sony, MS or anyone else doing the dangling, bags of money are hard to resist.

I'd rather discredit the narrative that the industry has tried to build as a result of EGS.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
So yeah, it does kinda suck that some of the people who got Epic's moneyhat seem to have ended up profiting from it but a) looking at the big picture, this was the best possible outcome
I disagree with you here. I'm really behind you for most of your post but to me this feels really wrong. It seems to me you are arguing from the perspective of what the press would say. The thing is, the press has been gaslighting us and refusing to understand the consumer's side, so why exactly should we care, especially given how increasingly irrelevant they are becoming? It feels like you are looking for validation from people who don't deserve this power you are giving them.

I think the best outcome is financial disaster for those games and studios. At the end of the day, it's the one thing that will remain as proof that exclusivity does not work and is toxic, it's the one language they understand, the only thing they care about since they took those deals in the first place.

What we are seeing is still a good outcome mind you, but it's not the one that I was hoping for. It harms Epic today, but it's not the one that burns exclusivity tactics into the industry's collective memory as a horrible idea.

Reactions: Alexandros

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
I disagree with you here. I'm really behind you for most of your post but to me this feels really wrong. It seems to me you are arguing from the perspective of what the press would say. The thing is, the press has been gaslighting us and refusing to understand the consumer's side, so why exactly should we care, especially given how increasingly irrelevant they are becoming? It feels like you are looking for validation from people who don't deserve this power you are giving them.

I think the best outcome is financial disaster for those games and studios. At the end of the day, it's the one thing that will remain as proof that exclusivity does not work and is toxic, it's the one language they understand, the only thing they care about since they took those deals in the first place.

What we are seeing is still a good outcome mind you, but it's not the one that I was hoping for. It harms Epic today, but it's not the one that burns exclusivity tactics into the industry's collective memory as a horrible idea.
The industry never will because this is the PC. So long as exclusives work for consoles, there will be a normalized view of them from publishers. Even if the parameters are different, an exclusive is still free money.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
I view EGS exclusives selling good on Steam as the lesser of two evils. I just have one rule, don't buy stuff on EGS if it's a timed exclusive. Considering pretty much the majority of games there are timed exclusives, I will buy them on Steam.

Reactions: Alexandros and ISee

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
The industry never will because this is the PC. So long as exclusives work for consoles, there will be a normalized view of them from publishers. Even if the parameters are different, an exclusive is still free money.
I'd say that the way things went for EGS prove otherwise. Exclusives on consoles also are... Kind of starting to come on PC if rumors are correct. I wouldn't put so much stock in exclusives being normalized. At the end of the day, no amount of moneyhatting is going to surpass a wider reach, especially when customers boycott the hell out of your product during the exclusivity offer period.

The thing is that the gaming industry moves incredibly fast and delaying your own game's release by a year can be quite detrimental.