News Epic Games Store

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
I doubt this. Epic spent half a billion dollars in an effort to push Steam out of business. It's very unlikely that they'll publish their games on Steam, especially when they are doing well on EGS. And games like Alan Wake 2 will do well on EGS.
First of all, AW2 isn't going to be a success because as AW1 or any other Remedy game, they don't have enough fans.

But in any case, as I said in multiple occasions, it's just a personal guess, not what it's going to happen in reality.

Assuming any of those games theyre putting up full dev costs for ever release elsewhere (and if devs still own the rights, it's possible), I think we've seen enough evidence that such games will do okay to good on EGS and sell like crazy as soon as they come out elsewhere. People will si out any exclusion period if there's a glimmer of truth to releasing elsewhere. Just like this place and Bloodborne on pc.
Pretty much this.

• This!
Reactions: Kyougar and Digoman

TioChuck

More Yellow 🤷‍♂️
Dec 31, 2018
AW2 will do just fine, Epic, Sony or MS, NVidia or AMD, Gamespass and Humble money, just like Control.

Will be pretty dumb to buy the game during the first year, and I don't think, on PC at least, many will anyway.

Reactions: lashman

Mor

Sep 7, 2018
AW2 will do just fine, Epic, Sony or MS, NVidia or AMD, Gamespass and Humble money, just like Control.
This is exactly why I think they won't stay exclusive forever, because at some point promos and moneyhats will stop and they will want to keep getting fresh money and let's be honest, most EGS users don't even know what Alan Wake is, even less the rest of the published ones.

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
It's funny how EGS has been nothing but irrelevant in the past few months. No coupons, no big exclusives, no remarkable giveaways, no interesting new features...

I wonder what Epic's next step will be. Are they still convinced their current strategy will be effective in the long run? Or are they expecting to gain customer loyalty with permanent exclusive games they are publishing? Rumor says they already have signed for 14 games, but that's still peanuts compared to the amount of great games that Steam gets each month...
I expect some sort of desperate Hail Mary attempt to defibrillate the store before scaling back investment and turning it into a first-party store like Origin or uPlay.

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
I loved Saints Row the Third, but could not get on with the remaster for some reason. Not sure why. Was suffering graphical glitches for some reason as well.

Mor

Sep 7, 2018

Edit: The Steam reviews don't paint a good story for this game
This is just more proof that the deal was made at the same time as SR3, in fact SR3 was the "here you have a gift" part from Deep Silver to Epic :p

• This!
Reactions: prudis

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
Now I will admit some of this is in the "Old Man Yells At Clouds" territory. However catching up with the Saints Row news, I really dislike the looks of the gang members in the reboot. Also not overly impressed with the graphical style of it either.

Is it enough to put me off buying it when it eventually hits steam? I don't know. That will come down to how detailed the character creator is.

I will add a caveat, I really disliked fashion tastes back when I was younger as well. So I am at least consistent.

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
Apple Settles With App Developers Without Making Major Concessions
By Mark Gurman

It doesn’t let developers advertise outside pricing or payment methods within the apps themselves. [...] The company is “clarifying that developers can use communications, such as email, to share information about payment methods outside of their iOS app,” Apple said in a statement. [...] “Allowing developers to communicate with their customers about lower prices outside of their apps is not a concession,” Meghan DiMuzio, executive director of the Washington-based Coalition for App Fairness, wrote in response.

Last edited:

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018

Mor

Sep 7, 2018
Wonder if it’ll be a freebie or if Koei is using it to test the waters on EGS. Wouldn’t mind it being free if it gives more people a chance to play it though.
Most developers won't test the waters but directly put their games there because it's just another option for more potential revenue, testing the waters with a freebie isn't wise because it doesn't give you any data but how many people are willing to get your stuff for free.

Dec 5, 2018
and made yet another idiotic political analogy.
I wanted to make a joke about the fact that Korea is basically run by a bunch of big families ....

That said I'm interested in the long term effect of this, but I assume google and apple are gonna try to fight it or find loopholes.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
I wanted to make a joke about the fact that Korea is basically run by a bunch of big families ....

That said I'm interested in the long term effect of this, but I assume google and apple are gonna try to fight it or find loopholes.
Tim Cook already said that Apple would find other ways to collect commissions. They will probably come up with some new system to ensure they still get their cut, but create additional friction for most developers. The Epics and Spotifys of the world will earn extra cash, but smaller developers will probably take a hit.

I really wish I hadn't read that tweet. I really really wish I hadn't read the responses either.
If you ever want to indulge in some self loathing, just read his Twitter page for a few minutes. Actually you can apply that to Twitter as a whole.

Phoenix RISING

A phoenix always RISES!
Apr 23, 2019
Ann Arbor, MI
www.geeksundergrace.com
South Korea passed a bill forcing Apple (and Google) to allow alternate payment processors. This could potentially cause a domino effect where other countries pass similar laws. Tim Sweeney was clearly happy about this and made yet another idiotic political analogy.

Americans can't agree on simple things like wearing a mask to prevent the spread of an airborne disease let alone what democracy looks like.

Very pro big business, so I don't see anything like this happening here anytime soon.

Besides, I did read the thread and it says that non-compliance with the Korean law results in a 3% fine. Apple and Google could still pay the fine and make more money maintaining their walled garden of 27%.

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
I have been playing the first chapters of A Plague Tale with PC Game Pass and xCloud. Then, as I was checking the Steam store page, I realized that I had marked the game as "ignored". Mystery!

It turns out I forgot that I had recently received the game for free on EGS. :face-with-cold-sweat: I believe the game was not supported by Geforce Now, so I directly put it in the backlog without looking. These days, both the Steam and EGS versions are supported by Geforce Now, so the situation is different. :evilblob:

Thankfully, I have noticed before I was too far into the game. A few solutions from now:
  • finish the game on xCloud before my Game Pass subscription runs out,
  • finish the game on xCloud the next time I subscribe to Game Pass (as the cloud save is not deleted at the end of the subscription period),
  • download the entire game via Game Pass only to retrieve the save file, and then transfer it to Steam or EGS, :sweaty-blob:
  • restart the playthrough with the EGS version on Geforce Now.

With EGS, I would have been able to download the cloud save without downloading the game via the open-source command-line tool "Legendary".
With xCloud, no. So restarting the playthrough with the EGS version would not lead to a similar situation in the future.

Another funny trivia about cloud saves: Shenmue III does not support cloud saves on EGS. However, the EGS version can be played on Geforce Now. As far as I understand, Nvidia implemented an in-house solution to feature cloud saves for this game, effectively locking down the cloud save in the process. There is no way to download it at all.

Last edited:

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
I have been playing the first chapters of A Plague Tale with PC Game Pass and xCloud. Then, as I was checking the Steam store page, I realized that I had marked the game as "ignored". Mystery!

It turns out I forgot that I had recently received the game for free on EGS. :face-with-cold-sweat: I believe the game was not supported by Geforce Now, so I directly put it in the backlog without looking. These days, both the Steam and EGS versions are supported by Geforce Now, so the situation is different. :evilblob:

Thankfully, I have noticed before I was too far into the game. A few solutions from now:
  • finish the game on xCloud before my Game Pass subscription runs out,
  • finish the game on xCloud the next time I subscribe to Game Pass (as the cloud save is not deleted at the end of the subscription period),
  • download the entire game via Game Pass only to retrieve the save file, and then transfer it to Steam or EGS, :sweaty-blob:
  • restart the playthrough with the EGS version on Geforce Now.

With EGS, I would have been able to download the cloud save without downloading the game via the open-source command-line tool "Legendary".
With xCloud, no. So restarting the playthrough with the EGS version would not lead to a similar situation in the future.

Another funny trivia about cloud saves: Shenmue III does not support cloud saves on EGS. However, the EGS version can be played on Geforce Now. As far as I understand, Nvidia implemented an in-house solution to feature cloud saves for this game, effectively locking down the cloud save in the process. There is no way to download it at all.
Reading this post makes me feel happy Im not bothering with cloud gaming. :p

Reactions: C-Dub

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
Reading this post makes me feel happy Im not bothering with cloud gaming. :p
It is only an issue for Shenmue III as:
1) Nvidia implemented an in-house solution for cloud saves to make up for the shortcomings of EGS,
2) their solution locks down the cloud save.

Regarding Plague Tale, it is not an issue:
1) I could finish the game on xCloud without any issue.
2) I could also let my subscription run down and finish the game two years from now: my save would be waiting for me in the cloud. I did that for Guacamelee 2.
3) if I really wanted to, I could download the game to get my save, but the whole point of xCloud was to avoid that,
4) I can restart the playthrough on an open store like EGS (and skip the cut-scenes to get back to the start of chapter 2). Plus, the game is great anyway. :evilblob:

I mean, there was no issue with Plague Tale in the first place. It is just me trying (for fun) to move the save file around for a 10-hour game. For this purpose, EGS/Legendary is as good as Steam/SteamCTL. The bottleneck is that Microsoft does not offer a command-line tool to download/upload/sync cloud saves, which is a pain for 20GB games. Something like these tools:

I am also rather patient and lenient because, without cloud gaming, I would not be able to play this game in good conditions.
If cloud gaming does not solve any problem for your use-case, then you are better not bothering with it: "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Last edited:
Reactions: xinek and beep boop

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
It is only an issue for Shenmue III as:
1) Nvidia implemented an in-house solution for cloud saves to make up for the shortcomings of EGS,
2) their solution locks down the cloud save.

Regarding Plague Tale, it is not an issue:
1) I could finish the game on xCloud without any issue.
2) I could also let my subscription run down and finish the game two years from now: my save would be waiting for me in the cloud. I did that for Guacamelee 2.
3) if I really wanted to, I could download the game to get my save, but the whole point of xCloud was to avoid that,
4) I can restart the playthrough on an open store like EGS (and skip the cut-scenes to get back to the start of chapter 2). Plus, the game is great anyway. :evilblob:

I mean, there was no issue with Plague Tale in the first place. It is just me trying (for fun) to move the save file around for a 10-hour game. For this purpose, EGS/Legendary is as good as Steam/SteamCTL. The bottleneck is that Microsoft does not offer a command-line tool to download cloud saves, which is a pain for 20GB games.

I am also rather patient and lenient because, without cloud gaming, I would not be able to play this game in good conditions.
If cloud gaming does not solve any problem for your use-case, then you are better not bothering with it: "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".
Ah I see, just felt very confusing reading all the "steps"/"alternatives" you have to decide on to continue playing.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020

Sonic Colors is looking shoddy but that's to be expected of Sonic games in general

Americans can't agree on simple things like wearing a mask to prevent the spread of an airborne disease let alone what democracy looks like.

Very pro big business, so I don't see anything like this happening here anytime soon.

Besides, I did read the thread and it says that non-compliance with the Korean law results in a 3% fine. Apple and Google could still pay the fine and make more money maintaining their walled garden of 27%.
As far as I understood, it's 3% of total revenue in the country and not just app store revenue. IIRC, most of Apple's revenue still comes from hardware so it would amount to a pretty hefty fine.

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
A Plague Tale has achievements on Game Pass, but not on EGS. :lul:

The game was given away as a freebie, so Epic paid for it. Was that not enough money to add cheevos?

Last edited:

Nabs

Hyper˗Toxic Pro˗Consumer
Oct 23, 2018
Those Sonic Colors glitches look like something you'd expect to see from an emulator.

I'm glad I'm sticking with this (the thumbnail is weirdly glitchy though)

btw did Hello Games forget about The Last Campfire?

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
Bit disappointed to not have even heard anything for either The Last Campfire or The Alto Collection yet. Both now past the one year mark.

• Toucan
Reactions: Wok

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
Bit disappointed to not have even heard anything for either The Last Campfire or The Alto Collection yet. Both now past the one year mark.
The developers of Alto Collection released an expanded version of one of the games on Apple Arcade in July so its likely they’re waiting for that exclusivity deal to end so they can launch on Steam with the new content at the same time.

also The Last Campfire updated its steam assets, trailers, tags and screenshots a few weeks ago so its definitely coming.

Mor

Sep 7, 2018
The Last Campfire is coming, it got updated a few days ago.

Alto collection will most likely come after some time because they have just released some kind of update exclusively via Apple Arcade so maybe they will hold that one a bit but they acknowledge the Steam version petition.
The developers of Alto Collection released an expanded version of one of the games on Apple Arcade in July so its likely they’re waiting for that exclusivity deal to end so they can launch on Steam with the new content at the same time.

also The Last Campfire updated its steam assets, trailers, tags and screenshots a few weeks ago so its definitely coming.
lmao, we just said the same xD

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
Arsene Mor cheers.

After a little while I do begin to wonder why I should bother at times. It just feels like games are made more for the corporation's nowadays rather than to be played.

Anyway it looks like they would have to wait till October or November. My gaming money will be going on Eastward now.

Reactions: Mor and Arsene

r3n4ud

Dr. Boom Boom
Oct 17, 2018
Would anyone like a key for Space Punks? It’s from IGN Prime and I’d like to give it away so it doesn’t go to waste. Send me a pm and it’s yours