News Epic Games Store

didamangi

Who do you think you are? I am!
Nov 16, 2018
Jakarta, Indonesia
steamcommunity.com
I'm still unhappy about this.
I got Control Ultimate Edition free on GOG somewhere down the line (maybe from twitch?)

Install it, delete the contents of the steam version, made a symbolic link of the gog version in the steam folder and hit play on steam, it works.

Would never buy the real ultimate edition on steam, just out of spite.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020

Here's the final daily free game. I thought they would actually give away the entire Dishonored trilogy like they did with Tomb Raider last year but :shrugblob:. I suppose the free game budget was cut. At least it's funny seeing all the posters on Reddit get upset because they didn't give away Red Dead Redemption 2 or God of War.

STHX

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2021
Curious how much EGS is gonna fade into irrelevance next year, 2022 has been a bad year for EGS mindshare.
For me I'm more curious about how their publishing endeavors will go. The EGS is basically a footnote, yet Alan Wake 2 is still nowhere to be seen, the rest have nothing more than a studio announcement, and AW Remastered still hasn't made any money. I'm starting to see a Stadia situation where the deals were made without fully realizing how much time and money games take today to make

And to top it all Ubisoft even came back to Steam. Honestly things are probably at their worst point ever for the EGS

• Evil
Reactions: Ge0force

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
I dunno, Unreal Engine is a thing and they are involved in TV & Movie production so i assume that they know these things take time.
Could there be more communication? Probably.
Would it be of any substance at this point? Doubtful.
The projects are probably very ethereal and prone to change at the moment so they don't want to get into a situation where one small note or art piece is taken as gospel. There again even if they said "These projects are still alive, we just have nothing of interest to show you." they'd get jumped on too.

Regarding EGS, they've gone and done everything that they cried about and said Valve shouldn't do so the only thing left really is to actually invest in the store and provide a service... like what actually built up Valve over the years. Whether that happens or not is down to whether EGS is a serious endeavour or just something to use to beat on their competitors in Tim's various crusades.

Reactions: lashman and C-Dub

crimsonheadGCN

MetaMember
Jan 20, 2019
Clifton, New Jersey
www.resetera.com
For a company as large as Epic, it doesn't really seem to be a good sign that they are moving people from the small team working on EGS to other products.

I look at that list and I'm only interested in 4 games (Star Trek, Dead Island, The Wolf Among Us, and The Lord of the Rings). But I could easily wait for all those games. I could see Dead Island 2 being a disappointment. And the rest don't look interesting.

Last edited:

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
I look at that list and I'm only interested in 4 games (Star Trek, Dead Island, The Wolf Among Us, and The Lord of the Rings). But I could easily wait for all those games. I could see Dead Island 2 being a disappointment. And the rest don't look interesting.
i'm pretty sure Colossal Cave isn't egsclusive?

• This!
Reactions: ExistentialThought

Copons

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
Brighton, UK
copons.wordpress.com
For a company as large as Epic, it doesn't really seem to be a good sign that they are moving people from the small team working on EGS to other products.
Heavens forbid I defend Timmy, but shuffling people around is pretty much the norm in any IT company, depending on a billion reasons.
Sometimes it's external (the global economic situation, reacting to a competitor move, etc.), other it's internal (reassessing, streamlining, unexpected fires to put out, and yes, even the CEO's whims!).

I wouldn't read too much into it, because if it could mean a deprioritization of EGS, it could also mean literally anything else. 😄

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018

That's mostly because there are almost no new deals and their money shifted to publishing rights.
i'm pretty sure Colossal Cave isn't egsclusive?
It isn't

Spookyfriend

Jan 27, 2019
It seem like EGS gave free Death Stranding a few days ago, now if you want to play it , you cannot go online due to server issue.
I had to upgrade my steam copy to the definitive version then I can go online

Reactions: lashman

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
Tim said the publishing tools would go live for everyone in mid January so it appears they're prepping the floodgates. My guess is it goes live the same day as their year in review blog post. IIRC there was a document from the Apple trial where they wanted to tie those things together back in 2020 or 2021 (I can't remember what year and I'm never sifting through that document again).

Also any predictions for the 2022 stats? I'm thinking
-68 million MAU (up about 10% from last year)
-$1.5 billion total spend (buoyed by Fall Guys for first party)
-$600 million third party spend (buoyed by Genshin, simultaneous launches for AAA games like FIFA and Dying Light 2 and other live service titles such as Dead by Daylight).

Steam will probably be at 150 million MAU if only for the fact peak CCU were up about 15% YOY and that appears to tie pretty neatly into the MAU numbers (peak CCU in 2020 was 24.8 million with 120 million MAU and peak CCU in 20217 was 27.4 million peak CCU with 132 million MAU which is 10% growth).

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020

CommodoreKong

Mercenary in the Badlands
Jun 15, 2019

EGS versions of GTA Definitive were delayed for whatever reason. I doubt EGS users are missing much, especially since it isn't free. :shrugblob:
The one person at Epic that knows how to publish games on EGS is probably on vacation.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020

The Epic (and Match Group) v. Google trial starts November 6. Crossing my fingers for more juicy leaks like the Apple trial.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
Hi-Fi Rush is in 8th place on Steam's best sellers chart and 37th place on Epic's. :thinking-face:

On the other hand Forspoken is 3rd on EGS and 53rd on Steam. But I'm pretty sure the Steam sales collapsed for that game collapsed after launch day so it'll probably drop on the Epic charts when it updates again, and Hi-Fi will climb since it's getting great word of mouth.

It's the near the end of January and publishing tools and the previous year in review hasn't been released yet.
Tim posted on Twitter that the year in review was coming soon and the tools were pushed back to mid February.

crimsonheadGCN

MetaMember
Jan 20, 2019
Clifton, New Jersey
www.resetera.com

Insider Gaming is actively investigating what caused Rumbleverse’s impending downfall, but it’s believed that Epic Games has had a huge role play – And Iron Galaxy Studios, the development studio behind Rumbleverse isn’t the only developer affected by the lack of support from its publisher.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
Assuming Tom is correct, I'd bet a dollar the other developer he's referencing is Mediatonic. Fall Guys looks to be in a mess with slow updates, level vaulting (that was accidentally reversed for a few hours), and loads of technical issues. Also, just based on public charts, Fall Guys has lost a bunch of players. Outside of losing most of its Steam userbase, it is in the mid 20s on the Xbox charts and down to 18th on the EGS charts. It had been in the top 3 for both charts during its F2P launch. While there is a natural playerbase decline for F2P games, Rocket League is still chugging along and has actually grown quite a bit the past few months going from about 500k peak CCU to 900k (but still far away from its F2P launch peak of 1.8 million in 2020).

I don't think there's any immediate danger of Fall Guy getting Rumbleversed, especially since Epic owns those devs and isn't simply acting as publisher, but it isn't doing nearly as well as before and Epic has shown they will willingly kill underperforming games.

STHX

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2021
Insider Gaming is actively investigating what caused Rumbleverse’s impending downfall, but it’s believed that Epic Games has had a huge role play – And Iron Galaxy Studios, the development studio behind Rumbleverse isn’t the only developer affected by the lack of support from its publisher.
Epic and Timmy can try to advertise themselves as "developer friendly" and talk about how good their publishing offer is every day but in the end they're still a business. Fortnite money alone isn't enough to cover all expenses

I'm sure the devs currently making games through Epic publishing are thrilled at this news (or the one about Alan Wake Remaster still didn't make any profit)

Reactions: ExistentialThought

Morten88

Aug 8, 2021
Epic Games probably needed some more days for the Year in review to try and spin it so it looks good for them.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
Epic Games probably needed some more days for the Year in review to try and spin it so it looks good for them.
I'm expecting the year in review to drop either tomorrow or the day the publishing tools release. I posted it before, but I'm thinking 10-15% MAU growth with big revenue growth due to Fall Guys, Genshin and simship games like FIFA and Dying Light 2.

That's like the fourth live service title to shut down in two days.

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
I wonder how many games have to bomb before Epic realize that console-like exclusives won't be successful on PC. I mean, there's a reason why Microsoft, EA, Ubisoft and Activision returned to Steam.
I think Tim Sweeney has too much of an ego to admit he got his ass handed to him by the PC community so I imagine he'll wind down his bullshit gradually to save face.