News Epic Games Store

Spookyfriend

Jan 27, 2019
It seems certain devs still believe that pissing off PC gamers will result in better sales 😑

Asking for 100k youtube sub when you only have 1.34k sub , I think game will be EOS before the 100k goal lol

• This!
Reactions: Ge0force

Gamall Wednesday Ida

Just a loon, apparently.
Dec 4, 2020
France
www.youtube.com

The Quebec Court of Appeal has upheld a decision authorizing a class-action lawsuit by parents who claim their children became addicted to the popular online video game Fortnite.

Lawyers for Fortnite creator Epic Games had sought permission to appeal the decision, arguing that a Superior Court judge never should have authorized the class action because the plaintiffs didn't present enough evidence about children being addicted.
Linux users get their revenge. :evilblob:
I don't see the connection to Linux in this specific story. Am I missing something?

ExistentialThought

Coffee Lover ♥☕
Feb 29, 2020
I might be misreading, but I think EOS has been in the Steam version since day one. I have no idea why it took them nearly a year to launch on EGS, especially since Zombie Army 4 was exclusive.
I am completely guessing, but Epic spent months, likely years, beta testing self-publishing and some of the unexplained delays may be a result of their self-publishing tools that some devs/pubs are trialling. Still, I do not think this is the reason why SE5 was so late as I imagine after a certain point, Epic would go ahead and add the game manually on behalf of the dev/pub if it was going to result in missing out on a simultaneous launch.

The only other plausible explanation is Steam signed a 9 month exclusivity agreement :smirking-face:

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
I don’t get why anyone signs these deals. The fact that you sign them becomes leverage for the developers/publishers to get more out of you.

Look at how EGS has cratered since they stopped signing them.

If Valve signed an exclusive that’d be the end of Steam. All the AAAs would want a slice of the pie.

Dec 5, 2018
In a way, that was (or at least it felt as such) the reason that valve created the current tiered commission system, I wouldn't be surprised that some big shots get the lowest tier from the get go.

• This!
Reactions: Mor

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
While I highly doubt Valve does exclusives, I wouldn't be surprised if they gave special commission rates for the biggest publishers (i.e. MS, EA, Activision and Sony) since they have substantial market power and can be successful enough (but not as successful) without Steam. Even Sony gives Activision a special rate for Call of Duty on Playstation.
The special commision rate is to go directly to the lowest tier, that's about it. that and perhaps some MTX rates in case games have market capabilities. But otherwise, it doesn't go as far as other entities.

Reactions: Arc

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
+18% on third party stuff, which I guess is how they’re spinning -2% overall.

I think I’d quite like to see a bigger breakdown of “third party”. Where is the growth? Is it game sales? DLC? MTX?

AHA-Lambda

MetaMember
Oct 9, 2018
I mean considering their top 5 games includes 3 F2P games and another game that they gave away previously which is also mtx heavy, PLUS the bottom tier of note includes titles like cyberpunk and god of war etc the sales units must be DIRE

Dec 5, 2018
I mean considering their top 5 games includes 3 F2P games and another game that they gave away previously which is also mtx heavy, PLUS the bottom tier of note includes titles like cyberpunk and god of war etc the sales units must be DIRE
I mean, the middle tier includes Saint Rows 5 (well reboot or w/e) and we know that game bombed ...

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
Epic launches self-publishing tools, calls out Valve again: 'Steam has created a real problem for the industry' | PC Gamer

He's complaining about steamworks here and while he's not technically wrong, it is a deviously great lock in strategy that raised steam to new heights around a decade ago, it did so in a way that also benefited the consumer by lowering prices through retailer competition.

So really this comes across as a salty bitch being upset that their competitor is just too good and they can't find a way to outdo them. Kinda reminds me of when EGS first arrived and some of us wondered "why does steam NEED competition?" If things are going great and people are happy that tells me there uhhh...isn't a problem that needs solving?

ExistentialThought

Coffee Lover ♥☕
Feb 29, 2020
Holy smokes, they had months to cook the numbers and they actually just went with it. It is crazy to think the store has seen more game releases has actually had overall player spend go down. Yes, third party rev went up 18%, but the number of games that have released on the store has greatly increased. This has to mean there a lot of games that are wallowing in little to no sales considering the mix of their top sellers. Oh, but do not worry folks, we will keep giving out free games as it is quite literally the only aspect of our store that nets us continued coverage (that or complaining about Steam/Apple/Google while secretly wishing we were in their position). Oh you should also not worry developers and publishers, you should totally release your game on our store with our new self-publishing tools and swim in a sea of pennies.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Imagine how good Sony must be feeling for rejecting going EGS exclusive. GoW only doing as well as old titles like Blands 3, Valhalla etc.

Last edited:

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
The 18% seems pretty good in my opinion, if we consider that the store had very few exclusives in 2022.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
2021 -> 2022 stats

Total accounts

194m -> 230m (+18%)

Monthly Active users

62m -> 68m (+9.6%)

Free games redeemed

765m -> 700m (-8.4%)

+18% on third party stuff, which I guess is how they’re spinning -2% overall.

I think I’d quite like to see a bigger breakdown of “third party”. Where is the growth? Is it game sales? DLC? MTX?
I'd bet dollars to donuts that's coming from Genshin.

The 18% seems pretty good in my opinion, if we consider that the store had very few exclusives in 2022.
Strongly disagree. They added Genshin payments in late 2021 and had a large number of sim-ship games like FIFA, God of War and Dying Light 2. They also expected $658 million third party revenue in 2022.

Focusing on this section:

Epic Games Store will continue to get interface updates, but as a matter of principle, Allison says that Epic will not track user behavior and use it to algorithmically recommend games. Epic has said in the past (opens in new tab) that it's more interested in supporting the game discovery that already happens outside of stores, such as on Twitch and YouTube.
Absolutely absurd. It's going to be the Switch all over again where games get buried under a mountain of new releases. You can use social media to help boost discovery, but ignoring discoverability on your own store is insane.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
-2% in overall revenue just means Fortnite is declining. Or no longer growing and can't carry EGS.

It makes sense since the game is getting old now but still concerning for Epic.

I expect them to monetize the fuck out of the game in the coming years. Or they are gonna make a new big game in hope of it becoming another cash cow.

They probably expected for the 3rd party stuff to carry the store by now but its clearly not the case. They need bigger games and bigger exclusives. And it all has to be consistent not just a few splashes for a few months of the year.

Also the 12% cut was always a stupid idea and its gonna keep them forever from being profitable. Wouldn't surprise me if they backtrack and up that to 20-25% in the coming years.

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
Now this sounds more like I may be waiting at least 16 months for FFXVI. Still won’t get me to support your store though. It’s actually made me more likely to buy a PS5 instead…

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
I just remembered something. I was digging through the old Apple trial documents and user spending is juiced by about 10% to account for taxes. So the true third party revenue is around $320 million.

-2% in overall revenue just means Fortnite is declining. Or no longer growing and can't carry EGS.

It makes sense since the game is getting old now but still concerning for Epic.

I expect them to monetize the fuck out of the game in the coming years. Or they are gonna make a new big game in hope of it becoming another cash cow.
Correct.

Sweeney attributed that drop primarily to Fortnite. “The funny thing that’s happened post-pandemic is that Fortnite monthly active users have held up, but playtime, hours played, and spending has gone down,” Sweeney said. I’m interested to see if that changes this year, especially with a promising-looking new season launching soon.
Fortnite is getting old and Tim is trying to turn it into Roblox so it can stay relevant.

You know, not a single KH game has charted in their top selling games in two years (which is pretty telling) :evilblob:
Stranger of Paradise didn't make the list either. At least we know FF16 will next year. :evilblob:

• Eyes
Reactions: ExistentialThought